Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-11-06, 08:28
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Supersize Me: The other side of the coin

Yay! Someone decided to make a more honest "supersize me" movie about using McDonald's food in a low carb context to lose weight. And they interviewed the Eades for 5.5 hours! (I'm sure some of that will be cut!)

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...ng_in_th_1.html
Quote:
When MD and I watched Supersize Me, which I recommend everyone watch, we were stunned at the lack of nutritional knowledge demonstrated by the physicians involved. Before the specifics, for those who haven't seen the movie, I'll synopsize. The filmmaker, Morgan Spurlock, decided to eat nothing but McDonald's for 30 days just to see what would happen. His rule was that he had to eat everything on the menu at least once and if, when he ordered, the person behind the counter asked him if he wanted it supersized, the answer would always be 'yes.' He had a complete medical workup (including a rectal exam, which appeared in the movie), EKG, and lab analysis. He started out at about 185 pounds with normal EKG and lab (and rectum, one assumes). He scheduled repeat weighings and lab work weekly.

Quote:
All in all the movie was kind of funny and definitely enjoyable to watch, but there was so much idiocy masquerading as truth and good sense that I don't know where to begin.

Man, that is exactly how I felt. Everytime I see someone referencing that movie as proof that McDonald's is bad, I want to hurl like Morgon did.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-11-06, 08:44

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

I really enjoyed reading this one! I couldn't stop laughing inside (was at work, so couldn't just burst out laughing) when he mentioned the Creepy Girlfriend. LOL!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-11-06, 08:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 500/100/101 Male 70 inches
BF:6%
Progress: 100%

McDonalds is bad, they're evil just like Walmart
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-11-06, 09:15

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 220/214/145 Female 67
BF:yes, I admit it
Progress: 8%

Okay, everyone keep an eye out fo this movie when it comes out! Do you think it will get as much press when he isn't telling horror stories about McDonalds?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-11-06, 09:21
Experimenter

BF:

Naw. People like to hate McDonald's so if it doesn't reinforce their belief that McDonald's is evil, they won't be interested. But I will DEFINITELY see this.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-11-06, 09:53
Registered Member

Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

McDonalds is not bad. No food is bad. What's bad is the lack of will to step away from the table. In an emergency (can't get home for lunch), I'll run to McDs for a salad. But I don't eat greaseburgers or milkshakes. I'd rather go hungry.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-11-06, 10:06
OOOOOOOOOH YEAH!

Plan: High Fat/IF
Stats: 215/170/160 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:27%/12%/8%
Progress: 82%

Kaypeooh, I beg to differ, some foods are bad.

Oreos, for instance, offer nothing beneficial and plenty of harmful components.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-11-06, 10:27
Registered Member

Plan: High Fat (Lutz/Groves/JK)
Stats: 151/136/129 Female 63 inches
BF:?/27%/24%
Progress: 68%

Quote:
In an emergency (can't get home for lunch), I'll run to McDs for a salad. But I don't eat greaseburgers or milkshakes.
Kay --

Maximizing fat intake is integral to my nutritional approach.

A couple "greaseburgers" (lose the buns) plus a salad with full-fat dressing would be quite acceptable as a controlled carb meal. Only concerns are:

1) trans fats

2) nutritionally EMPTY iceberg lettuce

which is why I prefer to eat at home. My two cents.

Andrea
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-11-06, 10:52

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 220/214/145 Female 67
BF:yes, I admit it
Progress: 8%

If you call oreos a "bad food," you'd have to concede that they are in fact food!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-11-06, 11:03
Experimenter

BF:

I doubt you'd get any more transfats in a McDonald's burger than you would at home. Now the fries... that's another story.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-11-06, 11:09
Registered Member

Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

Okay, in moderation, no food is bad. Without moderation, any food can be bad. Even fresh, clean water can kill. If I'm forced to eat a McD salad I'll go next door to 7:11 for some almonds to augment with protein and fat.

At 50 mile races, Oreos are very popular. I don't like sweets so I go for Pringles instead; Carbs, fat and salt together, the perfect food. ;-)
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-11-06, 12:15

Plan: Atkins/PP/IF
Stats: 185/165/150 Male 70''
BF:
Progress: 57%

Fantastic!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-11-06, 12:59

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%
Exclamation Plenty of good reasons to avoid McD...

and other fast food chains. Here's a couple:

"The fast food chains' vast purchasing power and their demand for a uniform product have encouraged fundamental changes in how cattle are raised, slaughtered, and processed into ground beef. These changes have made meatpacking--once a highly skilled, highly paid occupation--into the most dangerous job in the United States, performed by armies of poor, transient immigrants whose injuries often go unrecorded and uncompensated. And the same meat industry practices that endanger these workers have facilitated the introduction of deadly pathogens, such as E. coli 0157:H7, into America's hamburger meat, a food aggressively marketed to children. Again and again, efforts to prevent the sale of tainted ground beef have been thwarted by meat industry lobbyists and their allies in Congress. The federal government has the legal authority to recall a defective toaster oven or stuffed animal--but still lacks the power to recall tons of contaminated, potentially lethal meat."

--"Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal" by Eric Schlosser (c) 2002: p. 9
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-11-06, 13:03

Plan: Paleo/Organic Fat Flush
Stats: 193/176/145 Female 5'4.5"
BF:42/31/24
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by medalian1
McDonalds is bad, they're evil just like Walmart

Walmart's business practices are bad.

http://www.walmartmovie.com/facts.php

Whether or not someone shops there is up to them. I shop at Costco because I want to support a company with good business practices that benefit the employee, shareholder, and common good. But then again, it's all a matter of personal preference where one wants to shop.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Aug-11-06, 13:09

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%
Question Why is Costco better than Walmart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demokat
Walmart's business practices are bad.

http://www.walmartmovie.com/facts.php

Whether or not someone shops there is up to them. I shop at Costco because I want to support a company with good business practices that benefit the employee, shareholder, and common good. But then again, it's all a matter of personal preference where one wants to shop.

I'm convinced that Walmart's business practices are bad. I never shop there. I would like to know more about Costco's business practices...can you point me to info that doesn't come from Costco's marketing department?

Thanks!