Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-10-06, 04:35

Plan: semi-low carb
Stats: 127/127/114 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Fat burners. Is it mostly the caffeine?

more so than anything else? I don't know about the other ingredients.

Thanks.

So, is my diet Coke really that bad for me? I'm sure the answer will be yes.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-10-06, 09:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 500/100/101 Male 70 inches
BF:6%
Progress: 100%

diet cokes vary on each person

i wouldn't recommend any weight pills
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-18-06, 07:22
Registered Member

Plan: Standard Keto
Stats: 245/245/200 Male 6 FT 1 IN
BF:33/33/16

There are no real effective diet pills out there. They may curb appetite, etc.. but they don't burn fat. Not sense they got rid of ephedrine..

Ephedrine was great for boosting the metabolism by as much as 15-20%.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-24-06, 02:37

Plan: 40-40-20
Stats: 118/112/105 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 46%

you still can find ephedrine if you really want it, even it's not legal anymore.

I think fat burners can be useful, (depends on which one actually).

I ordered LIPO6 and i'm about to try it, we'll see if I have some results.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-24-06, 05:44

Plan: 000000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 0000
BF:
Progress: 10%

If I'm not mistaken you can buy products containing ephedrine in all but 3 states, NY, IL and ?? I can't remember. I've been using it 3 to 4 times a week (with caffeine) for the past 3 weeks and have had no negative side effects. I don't weigh myself to often so at this point in the game I don't really know if it has had any affect on my weight loss. If it does nothing else for me, it gives me a little energy and I definitely get all of my water in on the days I take it and that's good enough for me. I know that a pill alone will never do the trick. I look at it like this, diet and exercise are the stars and the ephedrine is the supporting actor Try this link (below), there is a lot of useful (and maybe not so useful) info on this board alone. As with anything, do your research and arm yourself with the facts and individual decision making becomes easier.
Hope this helps.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/search.php?searchid=1048034
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-06, 06:10

BF:
Default Marie: Lipo

Looks like a good one.

Not sure what I'm switching to.

Right now just diet Coke, but I have Green TEa weight loss pills and a bottle of Hydroxycut.

I'm planning to switch to one or the other hopefully Sunday.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-26-06, 01:35

BF:

so you haven't try hydroxycut yet?
If you have it at home, I think you should try it before buying another one :-)

let us know the results!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-26-06, 01:36

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsMuse

the link doesn't work?
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-26-06, 02:38

BF:
Default Marie: What made you select Lipo?

It looks like a good one. They are all starting to sound similar though. What was it about Lipo that you selected that one?

I agree about the Hydroxycut. I had used it about a year ago, but wasn't serious about taking care of my body then.

I think I should try the green tea pills for fat burning first?
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-26-06, 13:12

BF:

That's this article that made me choose LIPO6 (I just received it today !! from bodybuilding.com !! I'm so happy coz I also received, the glutamine, the vitamins and minerals supplementation, and the digital caliper!! I'm finally gonna know how fat i am. lol.

here's the article (bodybuilding.com is my favourite website and store ) :

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/topicoftheweek27.htm

I agree with the fact, they are almost the same, but I've read a lot of articles, and the ones that often come to the first positions are LIPO6, TIGHT, Hot rox, and hydroxycut.

I may also think about the green tea. I have to look for more info about it, and see if we can take both (why not?). I don't think you should wait to try your hydroxycut again
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Aug-26-06, 13:24

BF:

oops I forgot, didn't you say you were on maintenance now? do you still have fat to loose? if not, maybe then you don't need it? you should focus more on increasing your weight lifting trainings, heavier, more workout days, different splits, and a new diet like you said, yes.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-06, 07:51
Registered Member

Plan: Standard Keto
Stats: 245/245/200 Male 6 FT 1 IN
BF:33/33/16

Lipo-6 is pretty good, and I hear it is somewhat effective. Don't forget it comes down to diet most importantly.

I was taking ephedrine and caffeine (EC stack) up until about a month ago. Helped curb appetite and boost metabolism. Was effective to me, but its not for everyone. Nor is Lipo-6. Be prepared for some major energy boosts (i.e. shakes, jitters, etc)
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-06, 05:16

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie2006
the link doesn't work?

Hmmm...it worked for me when I previewed my post before submitting. Ahhh well. Marie, all I did was search the Nutrition & Supplement section of the forum using "ephedra" as my search criteria. Also many body building sites have good info on the use of ephedrine and what it can and cannot do. Hope this helps.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-06, 07:11

BF:

oh yes, I already did a lot of researches about ephedra a few months ago, when I wanted to use some. But finally I decided to be safe and try with legal stuff. Moreover, the "safety" i'm talking about is for my surgery that's gonna be on sept 22. I don't know about the possible effects of ephedra on a surgery, and i can't really ask about that to my surgeon, as it's illegal.

that's why i decided to try a safier product, and then, after the surgery, I'll try ephedra.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-06, 17:01

BF:

Quote:
However, as more research has been done concerning ephedrine, this controversy continues. On April, 13, 2005, a United States Federal District Court overruled the ban of ephedrine in over-the-counter products. The key point to this reversal is that ephedrine can only be sold in amounts of 10 mg or less to be sold legally. This dosage is much less than what was sold in prior dietary supplements. Also, if ephedrine was deemed illegal at the state level, as it was in New York and California, state law rules supreme over this Federal Court's decision.

http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/1319.html

Quote:
Legality in USA
Ephedrine itself has never been illegal. In 1997, the FDA proposed a regulation on ephedra (the herb from which ephedrine is obtained), which limited an ephedra dose to 8mg with no more than 24mg per day. This proposed rule was then withdrawn in 2000 because "concerns regarding the agency's basis for proposing a certain dietary ingredient level and a duration of use limit for these products." In 2004, the FDA created a ban on ephedrine alkaloids that are marketed for reasons other than asthma, colds, allergies, other disease, or traditional Asian use. Products such as VasoPro's ephedrine HCL contains Guaifenesin, which thins the mucus in the air passages and makes it easier to clear the airway, and thus is sold as a bronchodilator. In 2005, the US Federal District Court determined that the FDA did not have proper evidence that low dosages of ephedrine alkaloids are actually unsafe. The current legal status for ephedrine is ambiguous depending on how the FDA interprets the district court ruling, but regardless, ephedrine sold for other purposes is still legal. However, currently purchasing is limited and records are kept of how much ephedrine is purchased, with the specifics varying from state to state. Although the FDA claims that their ruling is a result from several deaths from people taking large doses, some people believe that it is only because ephedrine is one of the key ingredients for creating crystal meth, and that is the reason the FDA limits the total quantity one can purchase.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephedrine#Legality_in_USA

No matter where I look I cannot find where it is illegal to buy products containing ephedra. Granted, to be sold a product has to contain 10mg or less of it. Add that to the fact that not only can I buy it just about anywhere here, many others still use it. If it were illegal there would be no stores carrying it.
As for you deciding against using it because of an upcoming surgery, can't say as I blame you there. Doctors don't want you taking anything that you don't have to pre-op. I guess it all comes down to personal choice when deciding to take or not take any supplement/medication. I'm all for personal choice.
Hope everything goes well with your surgery and you recover quickly