Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jan-11-07, 11:13

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 375/309/185 Female 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 35%

all I know is I can't WAIT FOR spring/summer... I miss all the CHEAP readily available fresh produce. !!!!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jan-31-07, 12:53

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Celeriac, aka Celery Root in the US, is this week's featured seasonal food on eat the seasons ... and another of my favourites.

I love it cut into wedges, tossed with some olive oil and oven-baked. It's also really nice mashed; a great substitute for potatoes. I also love Celeriac Remoulade.

Here's a great SB recipe using it that I found, which is suitable for Phases 2 and 3:

Celery Root and Turnip Mash

Serves 6 (1/2-cup per serving)

Celery root (sometimes called celeriac) and turnip may not be common sightings in your kitchen, but once you try this creamy, delicious alternative to plain old mashed potatoes, you’re likely to become hooked! Look for fresh, firm, unblemished vegetables and keep them stored in a cool dry place; the fresher they are, the faster they’ll cook.

Prep time: 10 minutes
Start to finish: 30minutes

1 pound celery root, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 pound turnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/3 cup fat-free half-and-half
2 tablespoons trans-fat-free margarine
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Place celery root and turnips in a large saucepan, cover with salted cold water, and bring to a low boil; cook until very tender, about 25 minutes. Drain, transfer to a food processor, add half-and-half and margarine, and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-07, 04:09

BF:

Passion Fruit is this week's featured seasonal food at eat the seasons.

Passion fruit are suitable from Phase 2 onwards on South Beach ... they are low carb (4g carbs in one fruit) and low GI (30).

I'm planning on adding them to my FF Greek yoghurt
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-07, 06:23

Plan: very low fiber
Stats: 225/225/150 Female 67 in.
BF:dont know
Progress: 0%

Thanks for the sites...I always wonder whats in season and I never seem to know..

well...know I do...

thanks!
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Feb-28-07, 05:21

BF:

Purple sprouting broccoli is this week's featured seasonal food at eat the seasons.

I'm not sure if this is available outside of the UK, so if you can't find it, then ordinary broccoli could be substituted for any of the recipes featured.

I've also come across this easy recipe for it:

Purple sprouting broccoli, pine nuts and sesame seeds

Serves 4-6

Trim 2lb (approx 4 cups) of purple sprouting broccoli and cut into 2 inch lengths. Blanch in a pan of boiling salted water for a couple of minutes until al dente, then refresh under cold running water and drain well. Heat 3-4 tbsp olive oil in a large pan. Toss in the broccoli, warm through and season with salt and pepper to taste. Finally toss in 2 tbsp toasted pine nuts and 1-2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Mar-14-07, 06:00

BF:

This week's featured seasonal food is Spring Onions - known as a Scallion in the US (also known as a green onion, chinese onion, salad onion).

I particularly like the sound of the Kashmir Fish, one of the recipes featured at the bottom of the page. I think I'll have a go at making a South Beach-friendly version.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-07, 05:43

BF:

This week's featured food is Rhubarb. Although everyone thinks of it as a fruit, it is actually a vegetable and one that we're encouraged to eat on the South Beach woe

I often make a smoothie using rhubarb
  #23   ^
Old Tue, May-01-07, 02:12

BF:
Default Strawberries

From today's free SB Daily Dish email newsletter:

Quote:
The South Beach Diet Featured Spring Food: Strawberries

Sweet, ripe strawberries are at their peak from April to July, so it's the perfect time to enjoy a fruit that's not only delicious, but also a rich source of vitamin C, antioxidants, and dietary fiber. You can begin enjoying strawberries in Phase 2 of the South Beach Diet.

Buying: The secret to buying the best berries? Seek out local berries, which are fresher and less likely to be bruised, since they have a shorter distance to travel to the market. When buying berries from out of state, the packaging can make it difficult to determine their condition. Do your best to check the visible fruit for blemishes as well as the bottom of the box for berry stains. Both signs signal fruit that is past its prime. Perfectly ripe berries should be richly red, plump, dry, and uniform in color.

Storing: As soon as you get the berries home, be sure to discard any mushy or overripe pieces. A few mushy strawberries can affect the whole batch, causing them to spoil more quickly. Berries should be eaten within a couple of days of purchase — they are highly perishable. You can freeze strawberries by spreading them out in a single layer on a cookie sheet and putting them in the freezer. Once frozen, transfer them to a plastic baggie. Strawberries can be kept in the freezer for up to one year.

Preparing: When you're ready to eat your berries, rinse them well with water (to remove any pesticide residue) with the leafy cap intact. (Rinsing them ahead of time will lead to spoilage.) Removing the cap before washing will cause the berries to absorb water. Using a paring knife, remove the leafy cap and the white "hull." Once cleaned and cut, strawberries are delicious eaten on their own, as a topping for low- or nonfat plain yogurt (beginning in Phase 2, you can choose artificially sweetened low- or nonfat yogurt), or whole-grain, high-fiber cereal. As an occasional treat, try them dipped in a bit of melted dark chocolate.

http://www.southbeachdiet.com/publi...dd_20070501.asp

#24   ^
Old Wed, May-09-07, 02:12

BF:
Default Asparagus

This week's featured food is Asparagus ~ a South Beach featured vegetable from Phase I onwards.

More about Asparagus, including some SB-friendly recipes, here

Last edited by Demi : Wed, May-09-07 at 02:43.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, May-10-07, 03:47

BF:

Quote:
The South Beach Diet Featured Spring Food: Avocado

The creamy flesh of an avocado gives this food — which is botanically a fruit — an indulgent quality. However, ounce for ounce, avocados are actually one of the healthiest foods around. Not only are they rich in heart-healthy monounsaturated fat, they also contain large amounts of potassium, vitamin E, fiber, folic acid, and vitamin B6. Best of all, you can enjoy avocados on all Phases of the South Beach Diet®.

Buying: There are 24 varieties of avocados. The two most commonly found in supermarkets are the Hass (pebbly black skin) and Fuerte (green skin) varieties, both grown in California and Florida. California avocados peak in spring and summer and are typically richer tasting than those from Florida. When selecting any variety of avocado, choose a heavy, unblemished fruit. Remember that most avocados sold in supermarkets aren't ripe — so plan ahead if you're making guacamole, since avocados take a few days to ripen. (See fast-ripening tips below.)

Storing: You can ripen hard avocados at room temperature for three to six days. However, you can accelerate this process by storing the avocados in a paper bag. Putting an apple or banana into the bag will help speed the process even more, as both fruits emit a ripening gas. To test whether your avocados are ripe, give them a gentle squeeze; ripe fruit will yield to pressure without denting. Overripe avocados will dent. You can store ripe fruit in the refrigerator for up to three days. If your avocados are already cut, be sure to wrap them tightly in plastic wrap to avoid contact with air. Exposure to air will cause the vibrant green flesh to turn brown. Though this discoloration is less attractive, it doesn't affect the nutritional value or flavor of the avocado.

Preparing: Slice ripe avocados and eat them plain, as a salad topping, or layered on sandwiches and wraps (Phase 2). Mash overripe avocados in dips like guacamole.

To pit an avocado, slice it lengthwise from end to end and twist to separate the two halves. Using a heavy knife blade, tap the tip into the pit and twist gently to remove. To remove the flesh, you can either peel the fruit or use a paring knife to slice up small pieces inside the skin and scoop them out with a spoon. Mushy flesh should always be scooped. To prevent the flesh from darkening after contact with air, rub with lemon juice or add lemon juice to your guacamole.

#26   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 06:10

BF:

Quote:
Summer Fruit: Cantaloupe

Cantaloupes reach their peak ripeness between June and August. These melons, related to summer squash, nutritionally resemble pumpkin and butternut squash in their high potassium, beta carotene, and vitamin C content. This sweet, delicious, and nutrient-dense melon is a great choice for a fruit starting in Phase 2 of the South Beach Diet®.

Buying
Cantaloupes are picked when ripe and stop ripening once they leave the vine. This makes it essential to choose a melon that was picked at just the right time. How can you tell if a cantaloupe is ready to eat? The color should be slightly golden under the mesh-like rind (avoid fruit with a dull green appearance); the rind should cover the whole fruit. The stem end should have a slight indentation, and the other end should yield to gentle pressure and emit a fruity fragrance. A ripe melon will not be flattened or lopsided, but it's natural to see some bleaching on the side where it was lying on the ground.

Storing
Though cantaloupes don't require further ripening, you can improve the taste by storing them at room temperature for a couple of days. The fruit won't become sweeter, but it will become softer and juicier. Cantaloupes should be refrigerated once cut, and it's best to eat them within two days. Store cut pieces in an airtight plastic bag or container.

Preparing
Cantaloupe is a snap to prepare — simply wash the rind with cold water, cut it open, and scoop out the seeds and strings. Then you can eat the flesh with a spoon, cut it into wedges, or scoop it out with a melon baller. Cantaloupe can be consumed as is or tossed into a refreshing fruit salad.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 11:26

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 165/135.1/130 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:36%/27.5%/26%
Progress: 85%

Mmmmmm...cantaloupe. I had some this week and it tasted so sweet I had to go back and check the food lists to make sure it was allowed! LOL!
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 16:39
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 225/177/180 Male 71 inches
BF:14.5%
Progress: 107%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
Brussel Sprouts are this week's featured seasonal food on eat the seasons ~ I hate them, but I'm sure there are those of you who love them!

Ever try grilling or roasting them?? My 12 year old who is not a big vegetable eater, but doing much better with them, absolutely will not let us grill broccoli and cauliflower without adding some brussel sprouts. We use a "grill wok" which is kind of an upside down slice of a pyramid in shape. Chop them all to reasonable sizes, marinate in a little olive oil and spices (sometimes adding teriyaki or vinegar) and grill alongside the meat of choice. It's truly funny if we are shopping together and she sees me getting broccoli and cauliflower and starts begging for the brussel sprouts! She still won't touch them steamed though!
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 18:04

Stats: 165/135.1/130 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:36%/27.5%/26%
Progress: 85%

Thanks for the tip, YogaDude--I may have to try that, too! Brussel sprouts are the only vegetable I've ever written off, but I've never had them any way but steamed.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-07, 03:54

Stats: 170/144/135 Female 165cm
BF:no idea
Progress: 74%

Wanted to add that with cantaloupes, the darker the 'bleached spot' underneath, the sweeter the fruit. That's my 'rule of thumb' anyway.

2/3