Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Thu, Jul-27-06, 07:59
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

Quote:
and I do believe that whey is from wheat? Is this true? It bothers me also because it is so processed to get at the whey part of the wheat.

Hi Jude, this explains what whey is....it never seems that appetizing to me!

Whey is the watery portion of milk remaining after milk coagulation and removal of the curd. Whey can be obtained by acid, heat, and rennet coagulation of milk. There are two types of whey.

Sweet Whey: Sweet whey is manufactured during making of rennet type hard cheese like cheddar or Swiss cheese.

Acid Whey: Acid whey (also known as sour whey) is obtained during making of acid type of cheese such as cottage cheese.

In addition to its liquid form, whey is also produced in the following solid forms:

Whey solids or powder: This is obtained by drying the liquid whey and used as milk replacement in bakery products, ice cream, dry mixes and beverages.

Whey Protein Concentrate: is the dry portion of whey obtained by the removal of sufficient non-protein constituents from whey so that the dry product contains not less than 25% protein.

Most of the whey used in different food products is obtained as sweet whey from rennet types of hard cheeses.

Whey is concentrated to obtain sweet/acid whey powder, condensed whey, Delactose powder as the primary products and protein, lactose as secondary products.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Thu, Jul-27-06, 08:03
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Thats great Hazy!! Where did you find it? Its always best to give a link to the site where we get info from.
  #93   ^
Old Thu, Jul-27-06, 08:07

Plan: trying to figure it out
Stats: 214/201.4/160 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 23%

Yes I am drinking Protein shakes and Judy, the Whey is actually from Milk. Here is a better definition:

Whey protein is a pure, natural, high quality protein from cow's milk. It is a rich source of the essential amino acids needed on a daily basis by the body. In its purest form, as whey protein isolate, it contains little to no fat, lactose or cholesterol.

Oh and here is the link:

http://www.wheyoflife.org/
  #94   ^
Old Thu, Jul-27-06, 08:12
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

I like Whey protein shakes. From what I can gather almost all commercial shakes are made from either whey or soy. I get plenty of soy with my other vegetarian food without getting more in shakes. I am going to begin the Body for Life Challenge in September. They require you to use at least one of their products on a regular basis during the 12 week challenge. I plan to use the Myoplex shakes which are whey-based.
  #95   ^
Old Thu, Jul-27-06, 08:19

BF:

Fluffy, the BFL only requires you to use one of their products IF you want to submit your packet and Officially enter in the challenge. If you want to just do it for yourself, you don't have to. But IF you do, the good part is IF you win, you give them the reciepts and they reimburse you for the products.

Maybe I should enter the BFL Challenge with you?

I am very familiar with the BFL (did several challenges before by myself (and I wasn't quite as strict as I wanted to be )
  #96   ^
Old Thu, Jul-27-06, 08:25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miezimau
Fluffy, the BFL only requires you to use one of their products IF you want to submit your packet and Officially enter in the challenge. If you want to just do it for yourself, you don't have to. But IF you do, the good part is IF you win, you give them the reciepts and they reimburse you for the products.

Maybe I should enter the BFL Challenge with you?

I am very familiar with the BFL (did several challenges before by myself (and I wasn't quite as strict as I wanted to be )

Yep, I know and I sure am an UNLIKELY candidate, BUT if you look at their website and read all their books there are a variety of people who enter the challenge. I saw variety of ages and sizes of people who entered including a 90 year old lady! I have applied and got all the literature and entry packet. I am sending off my application card today for the Sept. challenge. Not that I think I am going to win the $50,000 in cash and prizes. Ha ha. I just want to do it for myself, but doing it "officially" will help me to keep on track.
  #97   ^
Old Thu, Jul-27-06, 08:34
Registered Member

Meizimau--- I have a question for you---

How does low carb work for you when it comes to strength training? I know a lot of lifters got into low carb, but some are changing back to carb-loading now. Or is that just competitive power-lifters. I am middle-aged and new to all this, but my husband made a well-equiped gym in our basement and I am starting to use it. We have a treadmill, fixed weight machine, free-weights and stationary bike.
  #98   ^
Old Thu, Jul-27-06, 08:34

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally posted by Judynyc
I'm thinking that it would be fine....I think that Susan drink protein shakes. I like to eat my protein.

How about you wait until you are into your phase II to start with whey?

Thanks Judy ~ and everyone else who has commented on the whey protein

The reason I like to have whey protein shakes is that they are so quick to make - which is a godsend for me during the week when I'm working. I never use commercial ones though, but always make mine using micro-filtered whey protein.

My plan is to have a shake for breakfast once or twice a week once I'm on Phase II, with yoghurt, berries and lots of ice added to the mix. Plus, you can use it to make a great Frappuccino shake - if anyone wants the recipe, then let me know.
  #99   ^
Old Thu, Jul-27-06, 09:01

BF:

Hey Fluffy, you can call me Susan

OK I just had my Hysterectomy, so I cannot full out lift yet, I need to ease into it slowly again and I am hoping by September I can go full speed again, but I usually just lifted on Low Carb just as most Bodybuilders do when they Cut.
I am cutting right now. (trying to lose weight). The other phase is called Bulking (trying to add weight so you can get more muscles). Then you would eat higher carbs hence the carb cycling.

The only thing I would suggest for you to do is to have some Protein and some Carb after a workout with weights, to help maintain muscle mass. I sometimes even have something Pre workout (like the Protein shake) and something Post workout like some cheese and nuts or a Hardboiled egg. Hope this helps
  #100   ^
Old Thu, Jul-27-06, 11:05

Plan: atkins induction
Stats: 330/330/165 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks for welcoming me even though I am on Atkins! i need all the support i can get!!

i made it through day 1 without cheating..yippee!!

Best part is..i lost 4.6 lbs overnight!! (probably all water..but ill take it)

So here i am on day 2!! yay!

By the way i am a homeschool mom also!
  #101   ^
Old Thu, Jul-27-06, 11:39

Plan: general leaning toward Sb
Stats: 336/196/150 Female 5'4"
BF:gettin/down/there
Progress: 75%

JandLsmom, congratulations. It's that getting started thing that gets us isn't it. So glad you could be here to do it with us. Wow, 4 lbs in one day. Yes it probably is water but doesn't that loss do wonderful things for your ankles and you psyche!!!

Hey, three homeschoolers in this little group... how cool is that!!!

As for me, I got my breakfast early this a.m. so even though I had a meat wrap for a little snack I was still ready for lunch at lunch time...Hurrrrray!
Made myself a nice big salad with a little tomatoe and a green onion and some egg salad with a drizzle of lc dressing. I have to say, it really hit the spot.
  #102   ^
Old Thu, Jul-27-06, 12:16
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach / CALP
Stats: 125/134.5/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: -87%

Hello everybody. Welcome to all the new starters! You are going to do great with the help and support of these awesome people here. We're very glad you decided to join in!

and to JandLsMom, congratulations in the loss! Woah...4.6 in one day. That is ALOT, even if it is all water. But you must feel fabulous!

Well... i have a confession to make... . I had a horrible day yesterday. After the cookie incident, i THOUGHT i overcame that...but for some reason after lunch yesterday, i was getting aches in the stomach. I thought i was hungry so i fixed some chicken roll ups with cucumbers...but that made the pain worse. And i just really wanted to make the pain go away. Then my sister comes over and brought some muffins and doughnuts from Tim's...Guess i forgot to mention to her that i was trying to diet again. So i had about half a banana muffin. Weird how the pain actually went away after that. I'm thinking it might have been psycological..but i swear, it actually hurt....

Of course, not too long after that i was hungry again so when my sister asked if i wanted to go to a japanese restaurant with her...i didn't say no. Oops....Thank goodness, i have stopped eating rice a long time ago so that didn't bother me. I just had sashimi, miso soup and lots of salad. But i did eat some of that green tea ice cream...so bad bad bad me!

I felt pretty bad about it all yesterday.. and i just had to look at the scale this morning. I was VERY lucky it actually went down a pound again..so for today i am going to be super good and try to get over it. I haven't really had cravings yet...just feeling sort of lazy and not wanting to try. I'm just hoping that i can forget all about yesterday and move along...

Anyway, this is my menu for today:
L- Scrambled eggs with shrimp and chives
S- Turkey roll up?
S- Cheestring and Cucumbers..
D- not sure yet...

Sound like everyone is doing great, so i am happy about that See ya later!
  #103   ^
Old Thu, Jul-27-06, 12:59

Plan: Atkins/Oprah/Phil
Stats: 228.4/187.6/175 Female 71 nches
BF:32%//26.4 BMI
Progress: 76%

Fluffy, just noticed your girl running picture...too, too cute! I love it.

Pink, hang in there...don't let one day get you off track....{she said from experience......sounds like you've got a good plan for today and you lost a pound yesterday anyway...so hang in there...you can do it!

J&L, how awesome...that's what happened to me when I started induction a couple of weeks ago...really gives you that psychological boost...and anything that losens my waist line is a plus!! Keep up the great work!

I'm holding at 212 for the 2nd day in a row, so I'm happy about that...if I can get to that 211, that will be a huge one for me since this is where I got stuck (and quit) last time..

To another day behind us!!!!!!!!

Anita
  #104   ^
Old Thu, Jul-27-06, 13:33

Plan: south beach diet
Stats: 128/128/110 Female 5ft 2in
BF:
Progress: 0%

I went to the Dr.'s office this morning for some bloodwork and when the nurse weighed me I actually weighed two MORE pounds than I did 2 weeks ago (according to their scale). I was a little bummed till I got home and decided to try on some old shorts. They were impossible to even get on last week - but today I can actually zip them! This, of course, does not LOOK too pretty and I'm fairly certain if I tried to wear them today I might pass out from lack of oxygen due to how tight the waist band if but it's a start, right? I can also tell that my body is starting to detox itself and the one crappy thing is that I'm also breaking out (again, I'm sure from flushing toxins)

P.I.N.K. - hang in there! My cravings were strangely strong on day 2 but seem to be alot better today. Just take it one day at a time.
  #105   ^
Old Thu, Jul-27-06, 15:42

Plan: general leaning toward Sb
Stats: 336/196/150 Female 5'4"
BF:gettin/down/there
Progress: 75%

Congratulations to everyone. Pink lost a pound even though she has a momentary lapse...glad you didn't just give up!!! You can do this!! Anne lost inches..Hurray!!! Anita may be at a set point but knows if she just stays the course her weight will go down. You guys are all doing so well. Keep up the good work.

As for me, I am having one heck of a day. To hear about it go to my journal and read the last couple of posts I made.

Roast chicken and green beans for dinner.