Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Jul-17-06, 10:24

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick
You know, the more I read and experience, the more I'm swayed that fiber really isn't as "necessary" as advertised.

Oh, I know the perfect place to post this link!!!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Jul-17-06, 10:47

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
Hey Bawdy, I ate at a restaurant of the Weekend that would be so up your alley. It is called Ruth Chris's Steak house.

Actually it's Ruth's Chris Steak House (don't who Chris is, and why Ruth should be so possessive of him ...)

I've never been to one of these, but while in Florida a couple years ago we ate at Don Shula's restaurant (think it's called simply Shula's). Same deal. You choose what steak you want, and if you want something to go with it, you order that separately.

If only ALL restaurants are like that. I hate ordering a cheeseburger with no bun and no side dishes and then pay the same as if I had the whole shebang!

Black, don't get us into trouble on this!
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Jul-17-06, 19:07

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default RE: Ruth's Chris

I love this steak house.

It's great how they place the steak on a sizzling platter with melted butter. Ruth's is definitely one of my favorite steak houses.
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Jul-18-06, 04:16

BF:

Why oh why can't they open one up here in rural Maine?
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Jul-18-06, 14:11

Plan: to take over de world
Stats: 184/153.8/153 Female 5'10"
BF:D
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
Oh, I know the perfect place to post this link!!!

Really? Where??
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Jul-18-06, 18:51

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 235/179/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:lots/less/<20%
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Actually it's Ruth's Chris Steak House (don't who Chris is, and why Ruth should be so possessive of him ...)

actually, in 1965 Ruth bought the "Chris Steak House" in New Orleans (at least according to the website)
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Jul-19-06, 06:07

BF:

Well, that explains it! Now we know why she's so possessive of Chris!
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Aug-16-06, 15:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 141/131/108 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 30%

They assume, to appeal to people, that they will go back to those foods, and probably want to show them how to proberly do it.

These are published books, they say things like the fiber comment becuase it is believed by almost everyone, and like someone eles mentioned, they need to appeal to the consumer. Plus, fiber is good for you...BUT that in no way would mean you have to have it to be healthy. I think just want to show it can be had, or is healthy, but it prob. is not NEEDED per say.

Honestly, they prob. have tons of studies shown for super healthy/happy people eating only meat/fat/protien...lol...BUT no one would ever start screaming that from the hill tops, becuase the economy would crash.

People are not stupid though, anyone can try and see for themselves, (anyone who has tried meat/eggs type things can see how after a week or so your health, mind and body improve DRASTICALY) someday it will be common knowledge that these things were never needed, but people will always eat them. Becuase they are EVERYWHERE, tempting and people like the pleasure of eating. That is also my guess to why they would give a plan to eating them agian.

Even I, after knowing the benefits of Meat/eggs type eating, still fall off from time to time...but I always go back to a very low carb way of eating.

What have you guys found in your diets?? What are your thoughts??

Remember, how much money is made from junk, sugar, food and such in the world...I don't think anyone would be promoting something that goes agianst the big power houses, like "healthy" grains, fruits and Veggs., and stuff like that, becuase it has been around and regarded as healthy for so long...but I bet if that stuff was taken away, all the sudden sickeness and mental health problems would plumet, there would be no such thing as fat people and crime would probably drop.

Honestly though, food is food, but what the world really needs....is GOD.

He is our only hope...for ANYTHING in life. Everything else will leave you empty...fiber or no fiber
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Aug-16-06, 16:54

BF:

From a lot of reading recently (and observing my own body), I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that fiber is NOT good for you. In fact, I'm starting to believe it's downright harmful.

But, I'm not here to argue about it, so I won't. Just curious how others could assimilate these two statements.

I also won't get into a debate on religion, which has no place in a forum dealing with food.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Aug-17-06, 01:39
Registered Member

Plan: PP
Stats: 144/115/115 Female 5ft 2in
BF:35%/22%/22%

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss24
People are not stupid though, anyone can try and see for themselves, (anyone who has tried meat/eggs type things can see how after a week or so your health, mind and body improve DRASTICALY) someday it will be common knowledge that these things were never needed, but people will always eat them. Becuase they are EVERYWHERE, tempting and people like the pleasure of eating. That is also my guess to why they would give a plan to eating them agian.

Even I, after knowing the benefits of Meat/eggs type eating, still fall off from time to time...but I always go back to a very low carb way of eating.

What have you guys found in your diets?? What are your thoughts??

I have found that at much less than about 50g of carb per day I feel shaky and agitated, can't concentrate, and my muscles (it's noticeable in the big ones in my legs) just run out of umph very quickly. I have to climb a lot of stairs in the course of a day, and after three or four trips my legs feel shaky and weak. All this stuff persisted for at least three months - at that point I increased my carbs to 50-60g per day, and at that level I'm fine.
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Aug-18-06, 15:16

Plan: Protein Power/Int Fasting
Stats: 204/161/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

My experience is much like Janet's. At much less than 50 ECC a day I experience tacchycardia (rapid heart beat) and a washed out feeling. I tire very quickly when performing physical tasks. Perhaps I don't actually need carbohydrates, but I feel better when I have a moderate amount. It also makes it easier for me to stay the course as I quickly become tired of eating meat, eggs, and fish.
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Aug-26-06, 14:16

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Cavemen also ate more than just muscle meats, so they presumably got some fiber from eating internal organs, a sort of paleo-haggis. And berries were more fibrous before their juicy ancestors were bred.

The only time I needed to eat 25-35g of fiber per day to keep "regular" was when I was following a 10-15% fat Pritikin/Ornish diet. Now that I eat 65% fat, I never worry about fiber or go out of my way to eat more, and average ~11g/day.

The quest for fiber seems to have started when the low-fat craze began, so I think the two go hand in hand. Low-fat diets require more fiber to act as a roto-rooter. In my grandmother's day people took mineral oil (fat), not Metamucil. I prefer to just eat butter, animal fat, coconut & olive oil, thank you.
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Oct-09-06, 12:05
Registered Member

Plan: atkins-induction
Stats: 177/177/150 Female 5-5
BF:
Progress: 0%

I have one question...who ever said there weren't any fat cavemen??? Can they prove it??????LOL
  #44   ^
Old Sun, Nov-19-06, 16:33

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

[QUOTE=BawdyWench]From a lot of reading recently (and observing my own body), I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that fiber is NOT good for you. In fact, I'm starting to believe it's downright harmful. QUOTE]

That is very interesting to me. Until I read this thread I never considered that vegetables could possibly be not needed for optimal health (I am aware of the Eskimo diet and the explorer in the 1930's who lived without them. However when you factor in organ meats and such it does make it hard to compare to the way we live now when very few people;even low carbers, eat organ meats in any great quantities). In fact one of the things that convinced me that LCing was healthy was the fact that it encouraged consumption of lots of veggies filled with vitamins and such.

I'd be interested to learn more about this argument, in particular an alternative source of phytochemicals in the diet.
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Nov-19-06, 18:13

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet
I'd be interested to learn more about this argument, in particular an alternative source of phytochemicals in the diet.
As I remember, only the B vitamins are water soluble. Thus all the rest are stored in the fat of the fish and animals that are eaten. That is how the Eskimos can get enough critical vitamin D in their diet to make up for the lack of production in the skin where it is normally made. So the low-fat craze adds to the deficits in vitamins started by the absence of the organs in the American diet.

Here is a blog of Dr. Mike Eades about fiber. The following is an excerpt.

So, we have a situation where a product (fiber) causes damage to the cells
lining a tube, causing them to produce a lot of mucus in an attempt to
protect themselves. In the process many of these cells die and are replaced
by new cells. (Increasing the chance of mutations that could become cancerous.)
And this is perceived as a good thing.

[then Dr. Mike Eades asks] My question is: is it really a good thing?

The "bottom line" is then we need to eat either enough vegetables - with the right mix of vitamins and minerals - OR take the ones we need, and do not get enough from muscle meat, in the form of supplements.