Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-06, 12:05

Plan: Mod Atkins
Stats: 170/162/110 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default What do y'all think about this?

I put this in the war zone just in case it offends some people. But I was wondering what do y'all think of all this artifical meat. We all heard of soy burgers & veggie burgers. But now their wanting to clone cows for meat. I personnally think meat should be meat, veggies should be veggies.

I've tryed a few artificial meat subsitutes & I've had some bad side affects like gas & the runs. So I'd rather stay away from those & clonned cows doesn't sound any better to me either. That sounds like someone trying to play God. I think we should be breeding more cows, so farmers can stay in business. I know some people are claiming that cows are destroying our environment but if you think about it we are doing even more harm to our environment then cows are. After all who's been ripping up trees for building highways , neighborhoods & other buildings. The trees were there for our protection. We are also the ones who dump all kinds of junk on our streets, or where ever we are instead of holding on to it until we find a garbage can. We waste materials like electricity & water like it will always be there.

But all this cloning meat will do is put more farmers out of business & just give more money to scientist. Who already have money. Most of the meat that comes from locale farmers aren't dieased, it's comes more from these industries that but animals & treat them in bad way anyways, they cram them in small areas & feed them with grain because it's cheap. Most farms cows are grass feed & have open feilds to run around in.

Sorry if this is long but I'd love to hear others opinion on this.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-06, 14:12

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I don't understand the advantage of cloning cattle. They seem to be propagating well the natural way. I can understand if someone wanted to clone a race horse, but beef is beef. I've never eaten a steak and thought that the cow it came from has to be cloned. There are millions of cattle out there that would give an equivalent steak.

From what little that I know about cloning, each generation would increase in genetic damage, so eventually you would have problem animals anyhow.

Would it bother me to eat meat from a cloned animal? No, it would still be beef with the same genetic material as normal beef. Genetically modified beef would be different; I would never knowingly eat any of that.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-06, 17:08
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

I agree with you girl, I want my meat all natural. If they do clone wouldn't the farmers still be doing everything else associated with cows except the conception?

Everytime I see a soy or veggie burger it makes me laugh. Why is it that people that won't eat anything with a face, try to copy things with faces?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-06, 18:07
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawchem

Everytime I see a soy or veggie burger it makes me laugh. Why is it that people that won't eat anything with a face, try to copy things with faces?

Nice.........
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-06, 18:10
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleoanth
Nice.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawchem
If they do clone wouldn't the farmers still be doing everything else associated with cows except the conception?

Don't you think though, that's it's even nicer th at the farmers are not doing the conception with the cows
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-06, 20:09

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

IIRC, the idea wasn't to clone the entire animal (that's already been done) but to clone only the muscle tissue that people want to eat which technically wouldn't be cloning as much as just growing cells in a lab. The advantage there is that you don't have to feed (or clean up after) an animal, just provide the medium for the cells to grow and divide. Either way, it doesn't sound particularly appetizing to me and I imagine the result would be rather tasteless without the fat that provides moisture and flavor in the cattle that we eat today.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-06, 20:22

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

Lab grown meat does sound a little off to me. However so does the thought of eating something that had to be slaughtered (it even sounds gross!). Either way I would still eat it in moderation.

Btw I also sometimes eat those veggies burgers and such.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-06, 20:23
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 96%
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawchem
I like veggie burgers. They are yummy. And the "fake chicken" that the former Adventist family brings to church is really yummy too (and only 2 carbs per piece), even though it doesn't taste like chicken. It just tastes good.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-06, 20:30

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Thanks for the clarification Lisa. I don't think that I would be able to eat a laboratory culture as food. The only applications that I can visualize where such a food might be needed would be on a Martian base where no other source of foods was available.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-06, 21:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 473/332/190 Male 75.6
BF:
Progress: 50%

We wouldn't need so many cows, if their wasn't so many humans on this planet.

Look at the massive growth in our population, nothing to curb it all. Even this forum is dedicated to making us healthy and live longer!

I wouldn't even try to suggest we have less children - because I would be swamped with people cursing me!

So at the rate of this insane population growth that is basically killing our earth, our environment, and wiping out massive species,

Well we are going to have to grow burgers in a lab, and we'll probably have to live on the moon at this rate.

God forbid we actually examine what we feel is out right to have children, because that is too sensitive to some people. But now it's gotten to the point where these children are going to eat meat grown out of a test tube.

I wonder if the ethical vegetarians are going to start eating meat ?
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-06, 22:02
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

For the record, ranchers DO often inseminate cattle. Buying sperm from a proven bull and artificially inseminating cattle is more reliable and cost-effective than owning or renting a bull for a lot of the operations.

This isn't the first anti-veggie burger thread I've seen, so I have to wonder why so many people seem so bothered by it. <Shrug>
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-06, 22:11
Registered Member

BF:
Progress: 96%

It's the first anti-veggie burger thread *I've* seen.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-06, 22:31
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Here's one of the more recent ones. Lots of opinions there!

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ighlight=burger
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jun-30-06, 09:02

Plan: Mod Atkins
Stats: 170/162/110 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 13%

It doesn't bother me that some ranchers do artificailly inseminate their cows but I still think they should stick with the natural. I'm more concerned with ranchers & farmers losing their jobs because of people turning to these artificial meat product. And when I heard about the cloning I was wondering could this be the future. Because I've known some of the ranchers here had to sell some of their cattle & land due to the droughts & the cost of gas.

I know that veggiatrains need their proteins too , so I'm not to worried about veggie burgers even though I don't like them & think there's no replacement for a nice juicy steak.

But then you have these poeple who say they only eat what's natural, then they won't eat meat but will eat artificial meat , that just sounds so contradiciting to me.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jun-30-06, 10:09
Registered Member

BF:-
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC_Dave
I wonder if the ethical vegetarians are going to start eating meat ?

Excellent Point! I hadn't thought of that. In theory it would be ok to eat lab created meat, because it wasn't the result of killing an animal. what does PETA think? Not that I really care.

BTW, for what its worth, I agree with you on the overpopulation issue even though its an extremely politically incorrect and touchy subject.