Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-02, 13:36

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 282/248/147 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Atkins Goodies!

Thank you Karen, great post! Have you noticed how the Carb counter Dr. A touts has all the most up to date and accurate information on the very items they make and or supply....NOT!

Seems like most of the people don't run into problems in the very beginning with the bars and goodies...its later on down the line when the stalls camp on your door step and your thinking...What am I doing different/wrong? I used 3-4 bars a week in the beginning and never had a problem....until....and now once a month I plan a choc bar (LC) indulgence and watch for the signs. The cravings they trigger are as bad as having a diet soda..I don't do those anymore either.

Why can't they just tell the whole CARB truth and let us make our own decision about wether it's worth it or not!

Thanks again Karen...the only thing worse than watching an Atkins abuser is hearing someone talk about the program negatively with their false preconceived notions who has NEVER read the book(s) or tried the program...but they KNOW ALL ABOUT IT!
I seem to run into those too frequently!

Bsayne
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-02, 17:33

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Re: The Wrong Way to do Atkins

Great post Karen!

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen
From the mouth of the good doctor himself....
Misconception:Atkins can be used as a short term or crash diet.
Reality: If you do induction for two weeks to drop 10 pounds and then go back to your old way of eating, you will be treating it as a crash diet. But that goes against everything I recommend, and will lead to problems in the long run.
Taken from the updated DANDR. Paperback edition, pages 223-225.

Crash dieting?
What about doing Induction for two weeks, then binging on carbs for a day or more and then going back to Induction? Does that fit the description?

I think we'd have to agree that the optimum way of doing LC is consistently. Yes? No?

Marlaine
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-02, 17:49
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yes, but changing your way of eating is a steep learning curve. As long as you learn from everything you do with this WOL, you're making progress. Those who never learn become LC ABUSERS!

Karen
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 13:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226/198/140
BF:
Progress: 33%
Question

When did a new atkins book come out? I've had my book since the mid 90's. Does this mean i have the old version?

Please help me understand which one is most current.

deb
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 14:00

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

He released an updated version around Christmas 2001. So yup you have the old version now
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 22:43

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Default Karen, I have a question...

First thanks so much for the info, now I just wish I could carry a copy around with me for the ignorant people that say "ya your losing weight now, but when you started eating normal food again, you'll gain it all back..." If they only knew this is my WOL and this is my normal food. It's wierd how people (not my friends, but people from classes, etc really don't want a person to lose weight). Anyway....
Here's my Question...when I first started 3 months ago and found this cite, I read all over the place it takes fat to lose the fat, but for me, if I eat tons of fatty things, I don't lose. I try to eat lots of veggies and lean meats. Is that wierd?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Erin
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-02, 01:00
Forum Founder

BF:

Just tell your friends, "Why would I want to go back to eating the stuff that made me fat?" If they start blabbing about moderation, tell them that people with insulin resistance are on the extreme part of the teeter-totter of metabolism and extreme measures are needed to correct it. Permanently.

It's not that they don't want you to lose weight. Look upon them with empathy. They are trapped in their own carb and food addictions. THey have not yet seen the light.

You don't need tons of fatty things, all you need is enough fat to get your calories up to 10-12 times your current body weight. Many people complain of not feeling or being able to eat more because of the appetite suppressing effects of ketosis. That's why we recommend fat to get the calories up.

In Newbies questions, there is a thread called Hot Links! that's at the top of the page. In the thread, there are two links to Fat and keeping calories up. Have a look!

Karen
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-02, 14:42

Stats: 200/174/135 Female 5ft 3in
BF:(Postpartum)
Progress: 40%

LOL

Anyone who would eat ten of those nasty tasting little buggers (Atkins bars) deserves to stall!!Heeheehee

mb

Last edited by MaryB : Thu, Jan-10-02 at 22:16.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-02, 16:41

Stats: 277/266.2/168
BF:
Progress:

wow....this has cleared up a lot of things for me.

I am doing the atkins and my doctor has put me on xenical (when taking in fat, the body does not absorb it, instead it is expelled) i think I need to talk to him again

thank you

)
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 07:55

Stats: 325/299.5/150
BF:
Progress: 15%

Great post! thanks. It has reminded me of lots of things I forgot!

cimart
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 08:19

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%
Default Re: Karen, I have a question...

Quote:
Originally posted by Erin4980
First thanks so much for the info, now I just wish I could carry a copy around with me for the ignorant people that say "ya your losing weight now, but when you started eating normal food again, you'll gain it all back..." Erin

Normal food?

What are they terming normal food? Last time I checked I wasn't buying any special foods from the grocery store. I mean Jenny Craig is "special food". Stuff I buy doesn't normally have a brand name on it....aka its not processed nor does it come in a box.

Next time they say normal food, quiz them on what normal food is. If they say veggies and eggs and other stuff you can say "OH! Well I eat that, what else isn't normal that I am eating?" Or if they start listing out pop tarts and coco puffs then go ewwwwwwwww you eat all that sugary stuff? And make a face at them
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Jan-18-02, 11:57

Stats: 230/185/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Lightbulb

If you eat junk foods or other nutrient deficient carbohydrate foods instead of vegetables and other nutrient dense foods, you will miss most of the benefits I write about and you certainly will not be fostering long term health.

Karen, this was a terrific post, I especially liked the above comment, I admit, there are times when I count my carbs and say, "oh maybe I could afford 13 carbs today for an ice cream pop" I was surprised to hear about the sf Jello, I hadn't had a problem YET, but I do have it with cool whip which give my nly 2 carbs and makes me feel like I'm having a little more. I don't post that often, but I'd never manage this WOE without this site, I check it every night and have gotten so much wonderful info, and most of all confidence that I can do this, forever. thands. Chris
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-02, 04:36

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

lol I think I needed to read that! Thankz for posting,since I haven't read the whole book yet....I already knew most of it though and don't do any...Altho I keep my fatgrams under like 30 a day...is that too low?

I don't like eggs...And I can't eat fat off meat thats disgusting..
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-02, 11:35
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Misconception: You can do Atkins while following a low fat regimen.

Quote:
Altho I keep my fatgrams under like 30 a day...is that too low?

With many succesful low-carbers, their daily percentage of calories from fat is 60%.

I strongly advise you to finish reading your Atkins book.

Karen
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-02, 20:14

Stats: 324/253/150
BF:
Progress: 41%

Karen since you seem to be addressing misconceptions. could you help me. The last couple of people who asked me how I lost the weight I told them about Atkins. Oh yes they had heard about that BUT didn't think the risk of kidney and liver damage was worth it. Kidney and liver damage????? I guess I missed that part in the book???? What do you know about this?