Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-06, 10:53

Plan: Low carb/PP
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Women's Clothes

Is it me or are clothes for full figured women awful? In a catalog I just got in the mail there were top/shirts that had elastic at the hips and waist. What's up the big check patterns and big flowers!? The clothes in the store are no better. The top/shirts are so short I don't want my stomach to show. (I don't think anyone wants to see it either.) I buy some of my plain shirts in the men department because they are PLAIN AND LONG ENOUGH.

Isn't there any clothes designer that have a clue about full figured women?

Just wanted to put this out there to see if it's me that think this way.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-06, 11:00
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 194/180.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 28%

There are a FEW out there that make cuter or feminine clothing. www.igigi.com www.alight.com www.theavenue.com are a couple. I spent a whole afternoon searching. Of course, lanebryant is cute as well. They are selling on their site now too.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-06, 11:11

BF:

The catalog I was looking at was Lane Bryant. I'll check out these other sites. Thank you.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-06, 11:27

Stats: 267/244/130 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%

the problem i have with larger sizes is that they assume that if you're a big girl, then you have big girls.
i don't have a big chest..but i have a big butt!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-06, 11:52

BF:

My hips are bigger then anything else and "my girls" are pretty small.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-06, 15:40
Registered Member

Stats: 315/274/175 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

i know what you mean but there is a good plus size clothing thread somewhere here. there are some great sites i ordered cool clothes from. everyone asks where i shopped.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-06, 15:51

BF:

Thanks Eve - I'll do a search.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-06, 19:22

Plan: Atkins, M&E
Stats: 297/289/199 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I totally know what you mean about the "girls", mine are pretty shrimpy too. I always tell DH that when I get to my goal weight they'll be gone!
I am so bottom heavy it makes shopping hard, when I buy shirts I could fit football pads on the shoulders and the pants all look like clown pants. They fit in the butt, but then the legs have enough extra material for another pair.
But my biggest complaint is when the designers just make bigger versions of the same stuff they sell to the skinny, trendy chicks. Sorry, but at my weight I am not interested in trying to dress like Brittney Spears. Those size 3X tank tops with the spaghetti straps can go straight to the bargain rack. And I have yet to find a T shirt that is long enough to cover my belly, I am just not interested in showing off the roll hanging over my jeans! And then they figure that if I'm not Brittney, I must be Grandma, and so they offer up the polyester stretch pants with the matching stretchy t-shirts (that still don't fit right). Style isn't an option.
Every day when I get dressed I think of how great it will be when (someday) I can buy clothes that look good and fit right.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-06, 19:37
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eve25
i know what you mean but there is a good plus size clothing thread somewhere here. there are some great sites i ordered cool clothes from. everyone asks where i shopped.

Here you go:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...60&page=9&pp=15
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-06, 20:34
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 305/248.5/150 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 36%

Good to hear someone else say it! Just about every time I drag my big ol' booty out to shop (which I've learned to hate), I end up having to rant about the designers' choices for women-sized women. What? They think that since I'm a 3X I *want* to wear glaring pink and orange floral prints? Reality check... I'm really NOT trying to draw any more attention than I already do.

Grrr.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-06, 22:09
Beautiful Disaster

Plan: tbl/common sense
Stats: 380/341/299 Female 6'0"
BF:so i've been told
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanasun
The catalog I was looking at was Lane Bryant. I'll check out these other sites. Thank you.

As a former Lane Bryant employee (gogo 55% discount for 2-6 hours a week!), the Lane Bryant catalog is not owned by the clothing store Lane Bryant. It's different. It's been an on-going legal battle for about 20 years. If you want to shop at the actual Lane Bryant clothing store, it's just lanebryant.com. I think the catalog is lanebryantcatalog.com or some such.

Sorry about the links, i figured it was related.

Good luck with your struggles, been there, done that.

.muse.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-06, 23:50
Registered Member

Stats: 315/274/175 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

ewwww that lane bryant catalog is horrific. whats up with those spandex/jean looking things????? who wears those? and all their crap makes even the skinny women look gross, i can only imagine what i would look like.
thanks for clearing up the difference muse...i always wondered why the catalog never had the storeclothes in it.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-06, 07:58
Beautiful Disaster

Plan: tbl/common sense
Stats: 380/341/299 Female 6'0"
BF:so i've been told
Progress: 48%

anytime

.muse.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-06, 10:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/187/165 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 80%

My problem always used to be that the larger size clothing stores seemed to think that if you were fat you must also be short. Now, at 5'8" I am not exactly an Amazon but I never could find pants that were long enough. And most of the pants were that terrible polyester that were so baggy in the legs that there was absolutely no way for them to be flattering or attractive.
It has gotten a little bit easier but I still have trouble finding pants with a long enough inseam to not look like a flood is on the way.
I also agree about those horrible prints and shocking colors. When I was huge I really hated those colors. I wanted to disappear-not glow like a psychedelic garden.
Anyway, good luck. There have been some really good ideas presented. Also, do a Google search for "plus size clothing". there are lots of good places to look.

Karen in Tahoe
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-06, 16:02

Plan: LC - 50C or less
Stats: 455/246/200 Female 5ft 9in
BF:
Progress: 82%

I agree about the colors and the flowers - and Im 5'9 so I also have a real problem finding pants that fit well in length. It seems that even if they fit right at first alot of the time they shrink up.

I must admit I am a very sloppy dresser - sweats and mens tshirts - thats about it. I may have some other pants that arent sweats...but they are all the typical stretch pant. If im not in a tshirt then im in a long sleeve equivilant to a tshirt. Clothes are just so expensive I bought a really nice shirt that I love...but have no where to wear it to lol.