Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Feb-22-06, 14:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/205/185 Male six feet
BF:
Progress:

I remember reading something about corticosteroids having a possible effect on the diet. Not sure where. I'm a research biologist, so I read a lot of scientific stuff. Nasal sprays, inhaled asthma medicine, etc ect ect. These are cpmpletely dissolved in the membranes, but sometimes swallowing after their use can lead to some trace steroids in the stomach, which could effect the diet in theory.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Feb-22-06, 14:34
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

Hey, I tell you what....how about taking on board everything people have said....and then give it two more weeks....IF at that stage you have not seen a reduction in weight OR inches, then feel free to throw in the towel at that stage.
What have you got to lose giving it another 2 weeks of clean eating?

Believe me, I know more than anyne what slow weight loss is like, especially in the begining!!! I spent so much time on this forum saying exactly the same as you, and eventually the scale did drop.

Hang on in there for two more weeks, what's two weeks out of the rest of your life?
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Feb-22-06, 14:48

Stats: 271/269/154 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:43.7/..../24.9
Progress: 2%

And if you do, start a journal so that you we can support and uplift you through the next two weeks! I'm venturing that it's the week 3/4 stall and you will get through this.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Feb-22-06, 15:17

Plan: Combination
Stats: 164/159.5/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 24%

When I first started exercising (especially doing strength training) my muscles retained water. You need to have one rest day per week. You'll probably find that your weight will drop after that rest. Keep going. Don't lose heart. And above all, don't stop exercising. By building muscle, you will ensure that you stay "young" and healthy for years and years.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Feb-22-06, 15:24

Stats: 204/148.6/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 70%

I've always viewed water and fiber as the means by which I'm expelling released fat. Perhaps not technically accurate, but it helps me to think of it like that. More water=more urine. More fiber bulks up stools and cleans out that 'end' of you. When we're releasing stored fat, we're also releasing stored toxins and it's important to 'flush' our systems, IMO.

In response to the OP, (((Hugs))) and hang in there. Really. Be gentle with yourself, and have patience. And please, please, please-if you're weighing yourself daily, STOP. I got into that nasty habit myself recently, and it's very frustrating. Sometimes I was weighing twice a day, because the initial weight loss was so exciting. But your weight really can fluxuate by a couple of lbs based on a lot of different factors. If you're producing keytones, you KNOW you're burning fat.

Jen
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Feb-22-06, 17:27
Registered Member

Plan: adjusted Atkins
Stats: 221/190/150 Female 5feet 5inches
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default I think you are making this way too hard

I have done Atkins before and lost a lot! I did not keep it up though and now I am on it again. I actually use a modified version, which was a prescribed diet for my diabetic friend and she lost as well.. But decaf??? why? Its aboot Lower carbs! You seem to not be on the same diet as me because I get to eat a lot of great foods! And yes you will reach a point where you level out, but keep GOING and you will lose. If you want more info on my diet, email me at my aim name in profile.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Feb-22-06, 17:33

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
But decaf??? why?

Because the Atkins plan doesn't allow caffeine during induction at least.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Feb-22-06, 19:00
Registered Member

Stats: 225/189/150 Female 5 feet, 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

I appreciate everyone's encouragement...and I am trying as hard as I can not to give up hope. I am just so upset because I have followed everyone's advice for the last week, and I have seen zero results in comparison to what everyone else has experienced, so it is very frustrating to me. I plan to stick with it for a little while longer, but here is what is really troubling me...I started Atkins a month ago because I wanted to drop some weight before going for my first wedding dress fitting...which is in three weeks...and now I doubt if I will even be able to get it on, because I have gained since I bought the damn thing. Now, I realize that I was not going to magically lose 30 lbs. in such a short time, but I was hoping that doing Atkins for 2 months would show some weight loss, and then I could continue the program for the next 5 months until my wedding. I am just so disappointed, and even more confused as to why this has worked for so many people but not for me. I cry every time I look at my wedding dress, afraid to put it on because I am just going to fall apart.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Feb-22-06, 19:26
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

A couple of other ideas:

- Are you on any meds like BCPs, steroids or antidepressants? They can be total diet-busters.
- I don't think you mentioned portions in your previous posts. Are they modest? It is possible to eat an induction levels of carbs but eat enough food to maintain weight.
- Are you exercising? I know being a teacher, it must feel like you are, chasing everyone else's kiddos all day ... but sometimes, you need to get the ol' ticker pumping.

Good luck. Hang in there!
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-06, 05:57

Stats: 225/185/150 Female 5 feet 4 in.
BF:
Progress: 53%

I can't really speak from experience but maybe stress is hindering your progress? (I'm a pretty low-key person all around). Lots to think about and do in planning your wedding. Are you measuring yourself? After the 2-week induction, I didn't lose for a whole 5 weeks but I definitely lost inches. You either lose inches or lose weight. Your body doesn't do both. If you're building muscle you won't see a loss on the scale as muscle weighs more than fat. Take some deep breaths, drink your water, eat clean and I'm sure you'll be looking like a blushing bride in no time.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-06, 06:17

Plan: Combination
Stats: 164/159.5/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Ah, the wedding dress. I just got married in January, so I understand. Last April, I started working out (I do the FIRM) a lot, and instead of losing weight, I gained about 10 pounds, which has since come off. But what I gained was solid muscle, and by the time my wedding rolled around, I was much more toned. I looked much thinner than I had a year before. Keep going with the LC WOE, and start doing some strength training. The exercise will pay off very quickly. I also recommend Pilates to strengthen your core... it can help quite a bit too. Take measurements, or better yet, take pictures of yourself. I do a picture in my workout clothes every couple of weeks, and the difference is startling. No matter what, you will be beautiful at your wedding.

Also.... now this is a delicate subject... how's your fiber intake? If solid waste isn't moving through your intestines like it should be, you can easily have a couple of pounds of waste in your system, which also makes you feel really bloated.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-06, 06:37

Plan: No grains, no sugar.
Stats: 001/045/525 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 8%

I ought to set up a macro so all need to do is push a button and this will automatically post.

1) Calories count, whether you count them or not. If you're eating 3,000 calories a day, it doesn't matter if they are low carb calories, high carb calories, or in between: you won't lose weight. Research shows that people underestimate the amount of food they eat, overweight people in particular.

2) Slightly different point, but if your only measure of success or failure is the scale or a dress size, then you've missed a big part of what low carbing is about.

I also think the people who talked about meds might have a point, and you should probably get your thyroid checked, if you haven't already.

Good luck, whatever you do, or however it turns out. I hope you end up looking fabulous in your dress, however you end up doing it.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-06, 07:29

Plan: Keto
Stats: 410/319/260 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 61%

Hi there:

When I restarted Atkins in May '05, I started out losing so slow until Nov. and from Nov. until last Sunday, I had no net loss in inches or lbs. If you want details of what I did or didn't do you can peek in my journal.

A forum buddy shared a link with me, http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean/proteincalc.htm, and on Sunday I restarted Induction and implemented the information I learned from the site (pg. 297 in my journal). I have lost 3.4 lbs. since Sunday. I am very happy about it.

If you continue to have problems, you might want to take a look at the site. Every person must find what works for them and before you give up, you might want to check out the info.

Best of luck to you.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-06, 08:45

Stats: 270/205/185 Male six feet
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
Because the Atkins plan doesn't allow caffeine during induction at least.

That's really more of a suggestion than a requirement though
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-06, 09:16

Stats: 310/259/180 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Try eating this:

Breakfast: 2 eggs fried in 1 TBSP butter with 1 TBSP Pico de gallo w/o tomatoes.

Lunch: 3 oz Lettuce with 3 or 4oz avocado with 1 TBSP Olive oil and some vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.

3 oz of Filet Mignon (if small why have something not as good) in 1 tsp butter

Afternoon snack = 1 oz cream cheese

Dinner = 3 oz of lettuce, 3 oz of cucumbers 1 TBSP Olive oil and vinegar with salt and pepper to taste.

Evening snack = 1 oz cream cheese

I also drink sugar free Kool aid.

and I do not exceed 1,000 calories a day/90 % fat.

I lost 5 lbs. See if you can do it for 2 weeks.

Good Luck.