Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 16:34

Plan: Atkins (modified)
Stats: 440/280/215 Male 6-1
BF:
Progress:
Wink Hi... from NJ. (OUTTA CONTROL)

Hi guys.. I've been here for the last couple of weeks just looking through the posts and I'm quite impressed by the size of the membership base and also the sensitivity and knowledge of the members here.

I come in here at what is not a very good time for me. I'm a 47 year old from NJ who happens to be on one of the worst binges of his life. After over 8 months of following low-carbohydrate eating in which I lost at least 200 pounds and feeling better than I have in years lately all I have been doing is eating. No... "gorging" is a more accurate description of what I've been doing.

Just listen to a typical days eating, and this is no exagerration. 4 bagels. 2 With cream cheese and 2 with butter. A pint of ice cream. A 6oz bag of barbecue chips. A bag or 2 of microwave popcorn. 3 or 4 candy bars. A couple of Yodels or Ring Dings. Etc.. Etc.. I could keep going, but I think you get the idea.

Now... I am not here to ask everyone here questions that no one would be able to answer that only I could answer anyway. I'm not gonna waste your time and ask "Why am I eating like this?" "What is the cause of this "gorging"? I have no idea as to why this is happening.

Granted... I did lose my weight without any medical supervison which most will say is not very bright and my methods were a bit unusual and unorthodox to say the least. I'm just hoping that by putting this stuff out there will somehow trigger that mindset that was a part of my life for nearly 8 months, and served me so well. I used to be able to exist on very little carbohydrate or food, and was never hungry and never felt better. I would eat well less than 1000 calories and 20 grams of carbohydrate on most days. I know.. Kinda drastic. But... I refuse to believe that my weight-loss methods are the root cause of this eating binge that has taken over me like this.

I am just hoping that within the next few days I can somehow find that person deep within me that had all of this success and had me feeling like a million dollars... I need to do something soon, because I know, that this way of eating is gonna literally kill me if I don't do something about it very soon.

Thanks guys. I wish I could have been more positive on my introduction here but I am just being honest about what has been happening, and the way I feel.

Thank You

David
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 16:41
7 yrs and counting!

Plan: Vegan/Crossfit
Stats: 285/212/199 Female 5'7
BF:33.4%
Progress: 85%

Just wanted to welcome you,
You've started back on the right track, in my opinion...realizing that it's time to get back on track is the first step. Just sit, and really do some thinking...and figure out why it is that you're doing this to yourself. Maybe you won't get an answer, but that's okay. What really matters, is that no matter why you're doing it, it's not making you happy. So I hope that you are able to get in touch with whatever is causing things to be as they are...soon...and things will definatly turn back around. I've looked at your stats...you've already made amazing progress...200 pounds is awesome....just give it another honest try..get back on track...even if you have to start in maintenence...and keep at it...eventually..you'll be where you need to be. I wish you the best of luck, stop by my journal if you ever need any support or just to talk.
Goodluck!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 17:06

Plan: Schwarzbein/gluten free
Stats: 148/146/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hi David,
I used to be from NJ, ocean county....anyway, go to a bookstore and get the Schwarzbein Principle, not the Schwarzbein Principle II, or the Schwarzbein Plan, but the first book was just called the Schwarzbein Principle. Here's a link,
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15...5Fencoding=UTF8
I think it might help you understand what the problem is....best wishes for continued weight loss. You can do it!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 17:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

The reasons for the gorging don't matter really - what matters is that you know you want to stop. You know it makes you unhappy and you know you feel better eating LC.

Is it possible that your diet was so restricted that you got bored?

You did so well before, 200# is AMAZING!!!! Now, jump back on the wagon and enjoy the LC ride.

Take care, Julie
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 19:09
Registered Member

Plan: Whey Protein & Skim Milk
Stats: 240/150/160 Male 66 inches
BF:No Thanks!
Progress: 113%

You might want to try
Overeaters Anonymous,
but don't listen to the
sissies and whimps that
have been in program for
25 years and are still over
300 lbs.

It does make for a nice
support group, and you
might be able to gain some
determination and committment
by seeing others who have lost
their weight and kept it off.

Sometimes we are a bit afraid to
keep our new bodies after we get
them. Our old feelings come out
and suddenly we don't know what
to do with ourselves in many social
situations.

Just my two cents. I find OA to be
helpful, but I must admit there are
a lot of whiners in the group too.

Best of luck always,
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 19:26
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Now that you are down to a more reasonable weight, you might want to think about taking the loss more slowly. Under a 1000 calories a day is not a reasonable life style for someone your height. Of course you couldn't continue that, and fell way off the wagon. Anyone would have.

You're in a better place now, and should be able to lose with a less restrictive menu. Take a deep breath, get rid of the junk food in your house, buy a rotisserie chicken from the supermarket, make some sugar free cole slaw, and pig out on that if you wish. Then go back to the store and buy a bunch of legal vegetables and meat, poulty, fish (including canned tuna in olive oil). Buy some of the new Blue Diamond BOLD flavoured smoked almonds. Buy s/f chocolate if you must. Think about hot wings and baby back ribs with a nice spicy rub. Eat all you want of that stuff, until you're back in control. Push the fats and protein.

The whole point of the controlled carb way of life is to find ways not to feel deprived. It's not a race to be won in a few months. It's a way to save your life.

I wish you well.

PS: Consider starting a journal. I'm convinced it's the main reason for my success.

Kay
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 19:31

Plan: <1250 cal - Flexitarian
Stats: 243/199/130 Female 5'3.5"
BF:57%/Ugh/22%
Progress: 39%

Hi David! (by the way, that's my son's name, too! And I'm originally from NJ, too. I used to live near Freehold.)

Quote:
I am just hoping that within the next few days I can somehow find that person deep within me that had all of this success and had me feeling like a million dollars
I think every day we change and grow. That person is there, but has new experiences now. So, you need to start from there.

Don't look back! I don't want to seem harsh, and I want to show you all the sympathy that is in my heart for you. At the same time I want to be realistic and say, you made somewhat of a list of what you've been eating. OK

Now, take that list, and see if you can substitute even 3 items, for something you know is good for you. So, instead of 4 bagels, have 4 eggs. Have the butter. Could you substitute some sugar-free yogurt for the ice cream?

Popcorn won't kill you, but what if you switched the candy bars for some Think Thin Low-Carb bars. I use them every once in a while if I'm on the road or I don't have time to cook.

As far as the Ring Dings - why not purchase or whip up a low-carb cheese cake.

Now, I'm not saying to eat this every day, but you get my drift. If you are hungry, eat! Follow Kay's advice. I know for a fact that you can make wiser choices, and you know it too! That's why you came here.

We are all in this boat together. I've had my days where I thought there wasn't enough sweets to ever fill me up. By taking the tiniest first step, and substituting eggs for the bagels, you will set up your day for more success.

I am sorry to go on for so long, but you have come so far, and in perspective, you are almost to your goal.

Do not fear success. We are here to hold your hand until you can stand on your own two feet!

You can do it!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-22-06, 13:12

Plan: vsg/low carb
Stats: 306/153/150 Female 5'6.5"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Hey David,

I have certainly had days where I felt like I needed comfort food and you know what I noticed. If I started the day with even a piece of l/c choc cake the sweet taste made me want more for the rest of the day. The only way i know to get those cravings under control is to start the day with protein (eggs & bacon or sausage). So I totally agree with Barb. At least start the day with protein so you dont set yourself up for the day.

I also pray for the willingness to eat healthier and if I am not even willing I pray for the willingness to be willing. It helps me when I am willing to use the prayer.

You Can Do This!! You have already proven to yourself you can by a 200lb loss!! WOW.
Take care. Licia
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-06, 12:53

BF:
Progress:

Thanks so much for all of the kind replies to my post. Yes, I am still having a difficult time but I am searching and trying to come up with something that makes sense and can work for me once again.

I plan on starting again on Monday, which, for myself, is really the only start day of the week where I've ever had any success.

Now.. i'm not going to get into the specifics of what exactly I'm gonna do just yet. Not, that I'm trying to be secretive or anything but sometimes unorthodox and/or methods out of the mainstream are met with some criticism and negativity and right now, at this stage of the game I just need to get back on track, after over 3 weeks of binging. Doing ANYTHING that will burn fat and produce a weight loss is better than the way I've been eating and living through these miserable three weeks.

BTW.. I am not really into praying, as I am somewhat confused spiritually however it has helped many of you guys and certainly it's something that I will definitly look into and learn more about.

Thanks again... I will definitly let everyone know how Monday goes for me. If I can get past the first day, it becomes much easier for me with each and every passing day.

DAVID
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-06, 14:12
Transmogrifying

Stats: 300/294/160 Female 5 feet, 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Hey, David, welcome to the boards!
Quote:
I wish I could have been more positive on my introduction here but I am just being honest about what has been happening, and the way I feel.

You're starting from where you are, and nobody can do better than that. You've done the most positive thing, and that's to come here and post honestly.

You've gotten some great support so far, and I'll only say that starting the day with protein, drinking a lot of water, and recording my food on Fitday have been tremendously important for me. And I will join with Tarheel/Kay in encouraging you to start a journal -- they can be like your own personal living room where friends drop by to chat, and can help you identify habits and patterns as they develop.

In any case, welcome, and hope you stay with us!

Ann-Marie
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-06, 15:11

Stats: 310/259/180 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 39%

David, I had a similar experience as you, not necesarily with low carbing but with the intense appetite after a weight loss. That was when I was around 22 years old. Today, at 61, I tell you that I think it was the begining of my diabetes. It took another 10 years before one doctor said, hey, lady, you have diabetes. Have you checked yourself? It is worth looking into it.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-06, 22:20
Registered Member

Plan: Whey Protein & Skim Milk
Stats: 240/150/160 Male 66 inches
BF:No Thanks!
Progress: 113%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_David
BTW.. I am not really into praying, as I am somewhat confused spiritually however it has helped many of you guys and certainly it's something that I will definitly look into and learn more about.DAVID

Overeaters Anonymous welcomes Atheists and Agnostics.
I am an agnostic too, but note that most of society
acknowledges a GOD so I go along with their little delusion
(and mine) while understanding it is probably a
deeply rooted social psychological manifestation of
the human condition.

You already have more success than a lot of people get
in OA, and you would fit in with the crowd when it comes
to gorging and such, since everyone in OA has been there
and done that. It would be a safe place to explore WHY
you overeat as you continue your successful weightloss.
I have found that by identifying those situations and foods
that make me want to PIG OUT with a binge has been an
effective way for me to NOT REPEAT the behavior.

And with Low Carb being a Way of Eating for Life, you
already have the mindset for a program that will take you
through your weightloss and provide you with a firm
foundation for a successful maintenance of your loss.

If you do go to OA, look for and identify with those that
you consider success's. These are the people you want
to identify with, not the whiners or those that have been
in program for 30 years and still weigh 350 lbs.

Good luck, you are REALLY, already a success, having
lost so much weight, but with a support group HERE
and potentially with Overeaters Anonymous, you might
just have a winning combination for LIFE.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-06, 22:54
Beautiful Disaster

Plan: tbl/common sense
Stats: 380/341/299 Female 6'0"
BF:so i've been told
Progress: 48%

David,

I, too, am new to this group, and I too am in the same boat as you are. I lost over 100lbs and gained back about 50 of it after almost a year. I didn't cut down on my LCing like I should have - I just flat stopped. I went to a party, we got drunk, ate some pizza, and the next day "oh, what the heck, i already did yesterday" so I ate the foods I missed. And then I just kept missing more and more and more, and eventually..well, I'm back to nearly what I was. And I know what you mean about how it just makes you feel sick inside, physically and mentally.

The good news is, you know you CAN do it, because you HAVE done it. You did it to an extreme that so many people won't EVER say they have. You lost more than a whole person in weight! Now you've had a 3 week break and know how bad the non LC was for you, so jump back on it.

Personally, I'm very curious to know what your plan is - not to criticize, because I'm not here to bring anyone down, but because I too am wanting to lose almost 200lbs and I would like to hear some other ways that I maybe havn't already. Maybe you could send me a PM with some of your information.

I also agree completely with the people who talk about starting a journal and such. I've only been LCing again for 2 days now, but when those cravings come (and boy have they, especially since i'm not in ketosis yet), I just sit down and scroll through some of the journals on here or browse the boards until it gets my mind off it. Today, I caved. I wanted chocolate SOO badly, but instead, i had a protein bar with only 2gs of carbs. That has been nearly my total intake for the day, save the .6 in eggs, so I figure if that's as far back that I slide, I'm doing alright.

Best of luck to you, you came to the right place, and you'll find all the support in the world in these people.

.muse.

Last edited by .muse. : Sat, Feb-25-06 at 22:56. Reason: typo
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-06, 02:30

BF:
Progress:

Thanks again for all of the support. Very much appreciated. As for PMing anyone... Evidently I haven't posted enough here in order to have that capability but as soon as I do I will look into that. Thanks.

DAVID
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-06, 04:54

Stats: 244/217/140 Female 5ft. 5in.
BF:
Progress: 26%

Hi David!
I just wanted to say "hi" and welcome to the boards. I am sure you will find the support you need here, and everyone is very helpful and supportive. This group has been a life saver for me since I started LC'ing. Good luck on regaining your weight loss and feeling better. You can do it, you already have once.