Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-06, 18:36
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrelind

Does anyone know where I can buy organic lard?

The only website I know of is here:

Boulettes Larder

They're "pick up" but might work with you for shipping if you call and ask?
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-06, 18:54

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaW
The only website I know of is here:

Boulettes Larder

They're "pick up" but might work with you for shipping if you call and ask?

Thanks Regina! Just what I was looking for Look at all those yummy fats!!!
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-06, 13:50

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 190/145/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellistile
To increase my fat (to go with my protein) I do the following:

1. Replace part or all water in my home made protein shake with coconut milk (the highest fat one I can find).
2. Besides mayo, I also add olive oil to my salmon/tuna salads and to my cold slaw.
3. I bake everything imaginable in lots of lard (I don't fry) even pork chops and sausages. I season with paprika (my favorite) and then pour the drippings over the meat.
4. Any veggies I cook are smothered in butter.

I have developed an egg allergy and only have 1 egg every other day which is a shame since I think they are the perfect food.

I am losing slowly due to the high fat and high protein but I feel ssssoooooooooo much better. And my fobidden cravings are all gone. When I have cravings it's usually for liver and onions or a hamburger steak with greek salad. ALL GOOD

Sorry, I was right there with ya till you had to go there!! My Mom, Dad, and older Sister used to eat that all of the time and made my little sis and I choke it down every now and then. Horrible memories!!
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-06, 14:02

Plan: the one that works for me
Stats: 220/214/180 Female tall
BF:
Progress: 15%

I've started taking dessicated liver tablets. It's basically dehydrated liver in tablet form. No taste! (Unless you decide to chew 'em or something! )
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-06, 15:41

Plan: atkins, paleo, vlc
Stats: 186/186/154 Female 60inches
BF:o/m/g
Progress: 0%

actually, folks, I think we're just rediscovering this:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...6&highlight=hfh

ratio of 80% fat, 15% protein, 5% carb...anyone else remember this?
  #51   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-06, 03:11

Plan: Moderate low-carb
Stats: 186/140/135 Female 5"5
BF:OnebigAB
Progress: 90%

I'm curious though, they say high-fat, high-carbo foods have a negative impact on health, which is obvious to me from years of eating them. But then I'm curious, they say fat slows down sugar absorption, so why does that snicker bar I love so much trigger the sugar blues and cravings so bad? I also have another question to. They say you can't convert dietary fat into fat. And in ketosis that seems to be correct, but I've heard some people say you can gain nominal weight, a small bit in ketosis if you are eating too much cals. But what happens to those fat calories out of ketosis? What do they become?
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Mar-02-06, 07:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/ m+e
Stats: 170/164.2/135 Female 5' 6"
BF:27.4%/26.5.%/22%
Progress: 17%

When I lived in Thailand I could never understand how the traditional rural Thais were so fit and lean. their diet consists of lots of coconut fat and they eat all animal fat and skin with relish. Small oily fish are deep fried and eaten daily for breakfast. Vegetables are plenty of leafy green stuff with minimal tomato and potato.Some fruit like Mango. papaya etc. Main carb staple is rice.
Only amongst the wealthy and city dwellers do you see fat Thais. MacDonalds and western food choices are now readily available in the cities but are very expensive.
When I lived with a rural traditional thai family for 4 months I came home looking great and weighing 130 lbs. I put it down to exercise and having a reduced appetite. They used to bemoan how little rice I ate ( I found it a pain to wade through and ate a tiny amount) I've never been able to repeat that amazing weight loss. I'm stunned now I've made the connection. Looking at it, apart from the rice it's the perfect diet!
This thread has been a revelation! Now where's my Thai cookery book.....
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Mar-02-06, 08:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakerchic
I'm curious though, they say high-fat, high-carbo foods have a negative impact on health, which is obvious to me from years of eating them. But then I'm curious, they say fat slows down sugar absorption, so why does that snicker bar I love so much trigger the sugar blues and cravings so bad? I also have another question to. They say you can't convert dietary fat into fat. And in ketosis that seems to be correct, but I've heard some people say you can gain nominal weight, a small bit in ketosis if you are eating too much cals. But what happens to those fat calories out of ketosis? What do they become?

High fat and high carb together is very bad.

Low fat does not do it for many either, and may also be very bad for you.

Animal/dietary fat may slow sugar consumption, but all the sugars and empty calories in the snickers bar of death can trigger a full blown urge to eat many more due to the insulin spike/crash many get fom eating that stuff.

In the abscence of simple sugars and carbs, your body will convert fat and burn it for fuel. If you eat too many calories, in the form of carbs, you will go into starvatin mode and pack on fat and experience muscle loss as your body stops burnig fat and finds a more readily converted fuel.

By fat calories out of Ketosis do you mean where does all the fat go when in ketosis? In Ketosis it is fuel for your engine and excess is aspirated through the mouth (Ketosis breath) through the backside (do I need to define it?? ) and is also removed through unrination. I believe I also read you sweat it out too, but don't hold me to that.

If by out of Ketosis meand if your body slips out of Ketosis due to too many calories from too many carbs etc... well your body (most of em anyway) will begin to pack the fat wherever your body is keen on storing fat. And the body will convert excess sugars to fat and pack them there as well.

I see by your stats you are doing a moderate low carb plan, have you read any of Atkins books? Or any of the others that closely follow a LC way of eating? I suggest the Atkins Book not in an attempt to convert anyone, but he sheds a lot of light on how Ketosis works, and the basics of human bodily function in the presence or absence carbs.

Also, if you dig around this site, you can find the answeres to these and many more questions. Between the Atkins books and this web site is where I learned what I know about LC and the workings of the human body following a LC WOE

Last edited by ProfGumby : Thu, Mar-02-06 at 08:21.
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Mar-02-06, 08:19

Plan: Lars-Erik Litsfeldt (Swe)
Stats: 242/200.6/187 Female 174cm
BF:
Progress: 75%
Cool Similar in China

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphavita
When I lived in Thailand I could never understand how the traditional rural Thais were so fit and lean. their diet consists of lots of coconut fat and they eat all animal fat and skin with relish. Small oily fish are deep fried and eaten daily for breakfast. Vegetables are plenty of leafy green stuff with minimal tomato and potato.Some fruit like Mango. papaya etc. Main carb staple is rice.
Only amongst the wealthy and city dwellers do you see fat Thais. MacDonalds and western food choices are now readily available in the cities but are very expensive.
When I lived with a rural traditional thai family for 4 months I came home looking great and weighing 130 lbs. I put it down to exercise and having a reduced appetite. They used to bemoan how little rice I ate ( I found it a pain to wade through and ate a tiny amount) I've never been able to repeat that amazing weight loss. I'm stunned now I've made the connection. Looking at it, apart from the rice it's the perfect diet!
This thread has been a revelation! Now where's my Thai cookery book.....

Hello,
My daughter and I were in China last spring, and we learned from the Chinese that they always serve meat, fish and vegetable dishes first and rice later on (especially for guests). It was customary to serve many small dishes, and towards the end of the meal the white rice was brought in.
To eat rice from the start, together with the rest of the dishes, made the Chinese feel something was wrong with their dishes, that people wouldn't get full without it, etc. You always had to specifically tell the waiter that you wanted the rice immediately in a restaurant.
The Chinese don't have bread, and only in the north they eat potatoes, and not much as we do, but as part of a hotpot etc.
Thus, same as Thailand, most Chinese were slim, apart from the ones in the cities who could afford McD etc.

Cheers!
  #55   ^
Old Wed, Apr-05-06, 16:31
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
I definitely can wolf down 12oz in a sitting easily, but my body doesn't like it. After eating that much protein, a few hours later I would get this weird sense of dissatisfaction, like I'm not quite hungry, not really full, but I want to EAT!

I know that sounds weird to a guy that eats lots of steak regularly

Protein stimulate insulin manufacturing to a lesser degree than carbs do, but still... Fat does not stimulate insulin and delayes protein digestion.
If I eat protein with fat attached (i.e.fatty part of beef, fatty fish and chicken with skin) , I am satisfied with less protein. Lean protein works almost same way as carbs do - makes me hungry with or without carbs. This is why it's very important to eat protein always with fat, and don't eat more than your body requires.

Last edited by dina1957 : Wed, Apr-05-06 at 16:39.
  #56   ^
Old Mon, Apr-10-06, 08:52

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
Today, a few things I've observed are leading me to suspect that dietary fat is a lot more important than even some of us LCers realize.

Along with all the scientific theories about why... there's always:

hair of the dog
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Apr-10-06, 16:03
Registered Member

Plan: Carnivanderthin
Stats: 296/283.5/145 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
I definitely can wolf down 12oz in a sitting easily, but my body doesn't like it. After eating that much protein, a few hours later I would get this weird sense of dissatisfaction, like I'm not quite hungry, not really full, but I want to EAT!

Me, too, and until I found this forum I thought there was something wrong with me! I couldn't figure out how in the world I could eat so much steak and be hungry so soon afterwards!! Now I'm eating the steak fat and pork chop fat without guilt. I'm satisfied with much less, and I stay satiated for much longer. In the past week, I've added coconut oil to my diet on a daily basis, and it seems to have a beneficial effect with appetite suppression. Since I added more fat to my diet, my carb cravings have almost disappeared.

Even though I haven't dropped any weight in the past two weeks (too much stress at work left me no time to shop and keep my kitchen properly stocked), my slacks feel significantly looser than what a seven-pound drop would normally feel like.

I'm totally convinced of the importance of a reasonably high fat intake in my own diet.
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-06, 08:17

Plan: Raw Foodhist & Daoist
Stats: 170/160/145 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Very interesting thread. I'm one of those nutters who is against most commericial vegetable oils so I use only olive oil, butter, coconut oil, mct oil, palm oil, & animal fats.

I eat mostly fatty meats and I do notice my temp goes up for a bit after eating high fats. Coffee used to do that to me.

Coconut oil does the same thing. And using a lot of olive oil or mct oil on salads (or in home made mayo) does the same thing. Its a good feeling because I'm one of those people who is always cold even in the summer.

I have far less hunger & cravings eating lots of fat. Beef & pork last the longest, chicken & turkey don't tide me over for as long.

Before I started eating a lot of fats, I was shaky and felt hollow in the AM. Now that rarely happens.
  #59   ^
Old Thu, May-04-06, 16:22

Plan: I am a leaf on the wind
Stats: 290/275/195 Male 5.11
BF:a mess of it
Progress: 16%

One of my favorite things to do is make a meat stew with lots of coconut milk/fat and beef with a bag of spinach, this meal keeps me satisfied for a long long time, and all it takes is 1 bowl.
  #60   ^
Old Mon, May-08-06, 05:08

Plan: Atkins original diet
Stats: 245/210/175 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 50%

As a somewhat long-term follower of Atkins [on and off again since 1972], I can vouch for much of what is said here:

When I was carb-abusing myself, fat made it worse. However, protein made it a little better. Without eating adequate protein, high-carb deserts knocked me out [hypoglycemia] only to wake up in a cold sweat later, etc.

But when sticking with the diet [for days, months or even years a few times; the longest was 8 years solid], fat becomes your true-blue friend.

I basically put Hellman's [from the 1 gal. jar "extra thick", not the little containers] on all of the meat I ate because it was "too lean". I often don't like the fat, so I have it trimmed, and then put the fat "back" in the form of mayo. [Such as on sliced roast beef. Or put a sauce on hamburgers about 5% ketchup, the rest mayo.]

Today, I should invest in the pork-skin futures market [if there is such a thing!] because I really love pork rinds. My friend embellishes it with a dip made from some melted regular Philly cream cheese, a little hot sauce flavoring, and a whole lot of mayo. A great combination. [Notice that pork rinds means we have REAL crunchy food! No cravings for potato chips, etc. And with a great dip no less!]

Extra mayo on egg/chicken salad. [I am allergic, but my wife does tuna salad the same way.] [Ever notice that commercially prepared, these always have way too little mayo?]

Ketostick info:

Sometimes I don't get any purple, but just eat more fat and ketosis is measurably back. I suspect that due to long-term dieting, my metabolism is too smart for its own good, and can real easily convert extra protein to glucose. Add fat to the diet to thwart this!

The only way that ketosis feels really, really good is when that warm feeling of energy happens. and the only way to get there is little or no carbs, reasonable exercise [which is a problem; I need "reminding" ] and eating lots of yummy fats, like pork rinds and the dip.

But it's important to be consistent: It really isn't good to have all of the "extra" fat if you even think about carb-cheating. Your body will go berserk [which becomes a good incentive not to do it again!] and require you to go back to induction [and probably stay there for a real long time, certainly longer than expected].

And too much protein is an insidious way to ruin ketosis because it will get converted to glucose; not as easily as from sugars and starches, but easier than from fat.

Low-fat snacks just don't work. You need the fat to get the cravings to go away. Add some heavy cream to whatever you like to drink. [I don't like coffee; my wife creams hers; I add heavy cream to diet soda.]

A lame dessert is diet Jello. A better one is 20% diet Jello, the rest whipped cream made from Splenda and heavy cream. [Be careful of too many carbs, not too much fat!]

And when she makes cheese-cake, it's full-fat Philly, not the low-fat stuff. Lotsa eggs.

Bacon fried in butter with scrambled-eggs [also prepared in butter]. Best Sunday brunch I've ever had.

cjl (living off the fat of the land)