Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-06, 15:17

Plan: LC - 50C or less
Stats: 455/246/200 Female 5ft 9in
BF:
Progress: 82%
Default Unsweetened cocoa = hersheys special dark chocolate???

I need to buy some unsweetened cocoa...i bought some hershey's dutch processed special dark cocoa... is that the same???

It has 3 carbohydrates per serving - with 2 of them being fiber. I bought it thinking it was the same but now im not sure.. anyone know?

It says that it can be a substitute for recipes calling for unsweetened cocoa or baking chocolate.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-06, 15:21
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Yes its the same, though personally I have had some issues using the Hersheys cocoa. I have done much better with other brands.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-06, 19:59
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Dutch process and regular are slightly different. Read through the threads on here in the kitchen forum that explain the difference. From what I remember dutch is milder and better for recipies where there is no baking while the regular is better for baked recipies or something like that.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-06, 21:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveWell
I need to buy some unsweetened cocoa...i bought some hershey's dutch processed special dark cocoa... is that the same???
It says that it can be a substitute for recipes calling for unsweetened cocoa or baking chocolate.

http://www.joyofbaking.com/cocoa.html

Basically, the Dutch Processed (alkalized) has been made less acidic, so it works best in recipes where baking powder (and not baking soda) is used. You need something acidic to set off baking soda. It's supposed to be more delicate in flavor and easier to dissolve. If it's alkalized or Dutch Process, it'll say on the label, just as the Hershey's does.

"Regular" or Natural unsweetened cocoa is more acidic and so is usually used in recipes where baking soda is used (a lot of chocolate cake recipes use the baking soda more than the baking powder for this reason), and gives a deeper chocolate flavor, so they say but also sometimes some bitterness that not everyone cares for.

Check out the link above, gives lots more info.

Hope this helps.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 16:52

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

That was interesting info, Jude - I recently bought the Dutch stuff for a recipe from Karen's book, having only been used to working with good old Cadbury's Cocoa before.
Does it have the same carb count as Cadbury's - 10.5 per 100gms? There is no nutritional info on the tin itself - the only reason I could surmise it was 'Dutch' was from my inability to translate the writing and the name (Van Houton) Once opened, I could see the reddish colour and knew I'd got it right.
Babs
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 18:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/220/205 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl
"Regular" or Natural unsweetened cocoa is more acidic and so is usually used in recipes where baking soda is used (a lot of chocolate cake recipes use the baking soda more than the baking powder for this reason), and gives a deeper chocolate flavor, so they say

Whoever 'they' is, I disagree with them By neutralizing the acid in chocolate, you neutralize it's fruitiness. Cocoa tastes slightly fruity/raisiny to me. Dutch cocoa is mellower so you have to use more, but the end result is a denser, richer, more chocolatey taste. IMO
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-06, 03:11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greannmhar
Does it have the same carb count as Cadbury's - 10.5 per 100gms? There is no nutritional info on the tin itself - the only reason I could surmise it was 'Dutch' was from my inability to translate the writing and the name (Van Houton) Once opened, I could see the reddish colour and knew I'd got it right.
Babs

I've always used the same carb counts (I put the info in my MasterCook) for any dark European/Dutch Process cocoa, like Hershey's Dutch Process or whatever. Is the Cadbury's alkalized/Dutch Process? Can't be far off in terms of counts.

ps: Van Houten is one of my favourites, but I'm biased, I was born in Holland myself

~~~~~~~~~~ later

ok, you made me do it greeanmhar {hey, is that gaelic or a secret code for your real name?} ... I dug out my box of Van Houten Cacao Poeder {hey, that's Dutch! } to see what's what...and it's a product of Germany!! I could faint...if my father only knew....anyway, there's no nutritional info on the package though there IS an english translation (among others) for instructions on making hot drinking cocoa. Useful (not!).

So I dug around in my MasterCook and I've got:
unsweetened cocoa powder, Dutch Process
1 Cup / 86g
191 kCals
11.3g total fat
47.1g total carbs
- 25.6g dietary fiber (t.f. net is 21.5 per 86g or 25%)
15.6g protein

Hope that helps. I imagine there's a lot of variation amongst products and labels, then, because all that's in the box Ingredients list is:
- cocoa
- calcium carbonate (regulator of acidity)

Maybe Scott123 knows more about this difference in carb counts and whether it's differences in the cocoa product or in the labelling?

I give up , gotta go make me a hot cocoa to sooth my nerves...

Last edited by IslandGirl : Wed, Jan-25-06 at 03:33.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-06, 03:15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123
Whoever 'they' is, I disagree with them By neutralizing the acid in chocolate, you neutralize it's fruitiness. Cocoa tastes slightly fruity/raisiny to me. Dutch cocoa is mellower so you have to use more, but the end result is a denser, richer, more chocolatey taste. IMO

I never even had "normal" cocoa in the house until recently, when I wanted to try out a few things. I'm totally acclimated to the European style cocoa powder, I guess... but then I just keep adding more chocolate/cocoa til I get what I want and that's very dark and deep chocolate...my fave is a combination of a generous amount of the cocoa powder and melted 70% bittersweet, in any given recipe I tweak. Sigh. Now I'm hungry for some good chocolate!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-06, 10:19
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Same here. I got some "natural" cocoa from Whole Foods. It doesn't have as intense a chocolate taste as the Dutched stuff does. But it is supposed to have a lot more of the chemicals that are good for you.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-06, 13:03
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Same here. I got some "natural" cocoa from Whole Foods. It doesn't have as intense a chocolate taste as the Dutched stuff does. But it is supposed to have a lot more of the chemicals that are good for you.

Hmmmmmm, makes me wonder if there's some link between the acidity and the antioxidants? Or is the process itself (includes extra heat maybe?) that makes the difference?

Sigh. More research.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-06, 13:20

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

ok, you made me do it greeanmhar {hey, is that gaelic or a secret code for your real name?} ... QUOTE]

'Greannmhar' is the Irish word for 'Humorous' or 'funny' - somehow it seemed to fit me .... I wonder why
Anyhow, thanks for the cocoa info - I sure hope it's not 22 + carbs per 100 gms or the Dutch will have to be ditched! Scott123, can you reassure me?

Babs
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-06, 13:26
Kitchen Experimenter

Plan: General LC Maintenance
Stats: 230/160/165 Male 70 inches
BF:way less now
Progress: 108%

Quote:
ok, you made me do it greeanmhar {hey, is that gaelic or a secret code for your real name?} ... QUOTE]

'Greannmhar' is the Irish word for 'Humorous' or 'funny' - somehow it seemed to fit me .... I wonder why
Anyhow, thanks for the cocoa info - I sure hope it's not 22 + carbs per 100 gms or the Dutch will have to be ditched! Scott123, can you reassure me?

Babs

is this what your looking for babs?

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-001-02s0480.html
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-06, 13:56

Stats: 190/159/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%

Saco makes a cocoa that's a blend of regular and Dutch; may be a good midway solution, no?
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-06, 14:53

Stats: 245/220/205 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:

Well... cocoa beans contain carbs. By roasting the bean, grinding it into a paste and then pressing out the zero carb cocoa butter, you are, in effect, concentrating those carbs. Every manufacturer is going to process the cocoa differently so you'll end up with varying amounts of residual cocoa butter. This residual cocoa butter will change the carb count from brand to brand. The more cocoa butter, the less carbs per 100 grams.

This being said, cocoa, regardless of the brand, is pretty carby, and, if you're watching your carbs closely, probably shouldn't be used indiscriminately. Cocoa butter has a slight chocolate taste with zero carbs. It's not as easy to work with, but baking chocolate will give you more bang for your carb allotment. And, depending on the brand, will give you a better flavor than cocoa due to the fact that it's less processed.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-06, 14:39
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinpa
is this what your looking for babs?

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-001-02s0480.html

Per the USDA data (that site uses USDA SR 17) the counts for unsweetened cocoa range from 17 to 40g net per 100g total weight, depending on type and brand...and IIRC the USDA uses manufacturers' data as submitted and seldom does its own testing.

So we're pretty much where Scott123 stated, it's going to vary by brand and processing level and we have to trust the manufacturer's data. Hmmmmmmm. Call me cynical