Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-06, 21:58

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/175/158 Female 5'10"
BF:I am 5'10" tall
Progress: 57%

the things that are killing us are the preservatives and junk in processed foods...........if we ate nuts, grains, fruits and veggies,we would be pretty darn healthy.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-06, 22:49

Plan: whole foods (mostly)
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'8
BF:a little lower
Progress: 32%
Default Not preaching! just a reflection..

Quote:
"Christians usually don't drink, they don't smoke, they don't use drugs and they don't party," Colbert said.

The weight loss challenge I'm in is through my church, so we've been eating better. However, most of us drink, some of us smoke, and we have a monthly poker night. Though not at the building!! It's true the potlucks can be hard though.
I think Jesus would probably eat with those who offered him food. He was pretty sociable. I definitely think his food choices would have been healthier than ours, since there wasn't a whole lot of junk.

Some words on food from the NT: Romans 14:19-23

19 Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. 20 Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble. 21 It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother to fall.

22 So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the man who does not condemn himself by what he approves. 23 But the man who has doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 06:57

Plan: Atkins-SCD
Stats: 125/99.5/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 170%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaLeanne
The bible quotes in the old testament what is good for us to eat........and what is "unclean"

Yes God had a good reason for forbidding certains foods. However, these commandments we written for the Jews to keep and for us to be edified.
So unless you're Jewish and willingly put yourself under the Law you are not bound by Old Testament Laws. Also, if you want to keep it, you have to keep the whole thing. And we know it's impossible except for one Man who fulfilled it and that is Jesus. We are now under His new covenant.
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 07:25

Plan: protien power
Stats: 185/155/135 Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

To me, God's diet is what God made available to man in a natural environment. If God plopped me down on earth with no man made technology, what would I eat? Bugs, little furry things, things I could gather, animals I could kill, things that swim. Probabley not bees.
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-06, 11:12

Plan: Mod Atkins
Stats: 170/162/110 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 13%

I agree with Tunkany it's very informative.
In my church we have alot of over weight people but we also have a lot of get togethers also. Where people bring stuff that they made. And there's always baked goods because women out here love to bake.

BTW our minister & his wife are on the South Beach diet.
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-06, 11:47

Plan: combination
Stats: 140/123/120 Female 5'7"
BF:24.2%
Progress: 85%

No conversation about biblical diets would be complete without mentioning pork. Since my son has dorm-mates who are Jewish (although they are Christians) he has been attending some Jewish services and learning about Jewish traditions, we have had some interesting conversations about pork.

While researching diet and nutrition I turned up some interesting facts about pork. Turns out that there are some very sound scientific reasons that eating pork is bad for humans. Blood samples taken from people who have recently ingested pork show definite deviations from normal blood.

I used to breed miniature pigs years ago and I remember (vividly, unfortunately) how nasty they were. As in they would eat anything and everything, if it fell out of their trough and mixed with their own waste they still fought over who got to eat it. As a consequence they had to be dewormed on a regular basis.

I've read that commercially raised pig meat is full of parasites and of course the remains of last months dewormer medicine. Pigs don't have sweat glands so they retain toxins in their flesh, especially their fat. This would include pesticide residues from their food and insecticides from their filthy pens and the antibiotics, hormones, etc that they feed pigs to make them grow faster. It would be hard to imagine a more all around bad food to eat than pork. Bummer, I love barbeque.

After comparing notes my son and I both decided maybe God might have a point about not eating pork. He is also the child who came home one day and darkly informed me that he was never eating hot dogs again because pig genitalia is still considered "Pure Pork" and it isn't wasted!
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-06, 12:11

Plan: Mod Atkins
Stats: 170/162/110 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 13%

Rosieo,
Here in TX we BBQ anything, beef & chick are my favorites but you can also do deer,quail ,or anything eles. Look for sauces that are low in sugar & carbs. I've gotten into the habit of not using sauce. I don't eat much pork, never been crazy about it. I guess it cause beef is the big thing here.
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-06, 12:21
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Pork is a nice, sweet meat.

I'll probably get a contract taken out on me by Babe, but I think there's a lot of urban mythology about pork's uncleanliness. I mean, if you think about it you can come up with gross things any food animal does, or their disgusting living conditions. Chicken harbors a lot more possible food poisoning bacteria than pork does, yet no one thinks twice about eating it. Because, we all know that cooking and storing properly destroys those pathogens. Same with pork.

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archive...55302.Mi.r.html

That'll do pig. That'll do.

I'll never forget watching Babe, I turned to my friend and said, "I bet this will put me off my bacon for awhile..."
  #54   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-06, 13:23

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosieo
No conversation about biblical diets would be complete without mentioning pork. Since my son has dorm-mates who are Jewish (although they are Christians) he has been attending some Jewish services and learning about Jewish traditions, we have had some interesting conversations about pork.

While researching diet and nutrition I turned up some interesting facts about pork. Turns out that there are some very sound scientific reasons that eating pork is bad for humans. Blood samples taken from people who have recently ingested pork show definite deviations from normal blood.

I used to breed miniature pigs years ago and I remember (vividly, unfortunately) how nasty they were. As in they would eat anything and everything, if it fell out of their trough and mixed with their own waste they still fought over who got to eat it. As a consequence they had to be dewormed on a regular basis.

I've read that commercially raised pig meat is full of parasites and of course the remains of last months dewormer medicine. Pigs don't have sweat glands so they retain toxins in their flesh, especially their fat. This would include pesticide residues from their food and insecticides from their filthy pens and the antibiotics, hormones, etc that they feed pigs to make them grow faster. It would be hard to imagine a more all around bad food to eat than pork. Bummer, I love barbeque.

After comparing notes my son and I both decided maybe God might have a point about not eating pork. He is also the child who came home one day and darkly informed me that he was never eating hot dogs again because pig genitalia is still considered "Pure Pork" and it isn't wasted!
A pig that is raised in a pen that is full of pig manure has been raised inhumanely. A pig cannot clean it's own pen, it is up to it's caretaker to do so. Leaving a pig in a pen with manure and expecting it to stay clean is similar to leaving a human baby in a playpen with it's own excreatment and expecting the baby to stay clean.

The human body is full of parasites. You have billions of them in your intestines and billions on your skin. At one time, there was a problem with trichinosis in pigs, but the growers have eliminated the cause and it is no longer a worry.

Humans sweat to keep cool, not to detoxify. The reason pigs roll in the mud to to cool off, that is one mechanism that they use to avoid overheating since they don't sweat. Dogs also don't sweat like humans, they pant as their sweat glands are in their tongue. Now if the human keeper has not removed the pig manure from the pen, and the pig needs to cool itself off, it will roll in what is available. This is not because the pigs wants to roll in its own excreatment, its because the human made it do so but not providing a clean living environment. Don't blame pigs for a problem that was created by the owner. Blame the owner.

Eating anything will cause blood to show deviations from normal. That is why most blood tests are done after a 12 hour fast. It is not just pork, it is anything that is digestible. Eating broccoli before a blood test would result in abnormal levels or insulin and blood sugar and triglycerides, among oathr things. It's not because the broccoli is unhealthy, it's because normal blood levels are defined by what is present in a fasting state.
  #55   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-06, 13:35
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCole
To me, God's diet is what God made available to man in a natural environment. If God plopped me down on earth with no man made technology, what would I eat? Bugs, little furry things, things I could gather, animals I could kill, things that swim. Probably not bees.

'Probably not bees'
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-06, 13:29

BF:

I agree with Dodger.
When I was a kid we used to have chickens. They are just as disgusting... they eat anything from seeds, grass, worms, snails, the wall of the chicken coup... we used to play with them- gather some mucusy spit and spit it in front of them, boy they went crazy for it. Sorry, it's gross, but we were kids. We thought it was funny. Anyway, they were "free roaming" and ate everything they could scratch out of the ground. We fed them corn. Their meat was dark red and tougher, so you had to cook it longer. Not like supermarket chickens.
Our neighbours had pigs, they were stinky, for sure. But it's really up to the owner how clean they are kept.
Anyway, I'm not exactly sure why God forbid the eating of pork (for the Jews), I'm sure it has to do with sanitary conditions- it spoils very quickly in hot climates, or parazites, who knows.
All I know is that God himself told the apostle Peter (in a symblolic vision) to kill and eat a pig.
I believe we are free to eat pork. I'm not a big fan, though. My husband's grandparents are Puerto Ricans. They eat pork all the time and they are well into their 80-s and in relatively good health.
Other foods can make us sick, too. You know organic produce infects more people with E.coli and salmonella than pork, chicken or beef.
  #57   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-06, 16:58
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%

I’ve seen the pork issue raised in a few different threads now and some of the objections to it seem to be based on a few lines by Sally Fallon from Nourishing Traditions which, by the way, doesn’t have a single pork recipe in it.

Investigation into the effects of pork consumption on blood chemistry has revealed serious changes for several hours after pork is consumed. The pork used was organic, free of trichinosis, so the changes that occurred in the blood were due to some other factor, possibly a protein unique to pork. In the laboratory, pork is one of the best mediums for feeding the growth of cancer cells. The prohibitions against pork found in the Bible and the Koran thus may derive from something other than a concern for parasite contamination. However, in fairness it must be noted that many groups noted for longevity, such as the inhabitants of Soviet Georgia and Okinawa, consume pork meat and lard in their diet on a daily bases. Lard is an excellent source of vitamin D.

The reference she provides is:
Personal communication, Dr Olympia Pinto, Rio de Janeiro. Using both phase contour and dark field microscopy, Dr Pinto studied the blood profiles of patients and medical students consuming pork.

Hardly convincing.

I’m always interested to know if there is any basis to the claims made about certain foods being unhealthy but don’t find the often used ‘dirty pig’ claims convincing. People talk about pigs eating ‘s**t’ and being filthy etc. but isn’t ‘s**t’ what we put on our veggies to help them grow?
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Jan-27-06, 04:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/190/180 Male 69 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 87%

These [are] the beasts which ye shall eat: the ox, the sheep, and the goat,
The hart, and the roebuck, and the fallow deer, and the wild goat, and the pygarg, and the wild ox, and the chamois.
And every beast that parteth the hoof, and cleaveth the cleft into two claws, [and] cheweth the cud among the beasts, that ye shall eat.

Nevertheless these ye shall not eat of them that chew the cud, or of them that divide the cloven hoof; [as] the camel, and the hare, and the coney: for they chew the cud, but divide not the hoof; [therefore] they [are] unclean unto you. And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it [is] unclean unto you: ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcase.

#59   ^
Old Fri, Jan-27-06, 09:19
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

LOL! I thought that was a Monty Python quote! Good thing I looked it up before posting. It kind of sounded a lot like the Holy Hand Grenade.
  #60   ^
Old Fri, Jan-27-06, 12:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
LOL! I thought that was a Monty Python quote! Good thing I looked it up before posting. It kind of sounded a lot like the Holy Hand Grenade.

If you're not used to the old King James Version...

Going back to the original question... what would Jesus eat?
I'm just going to repeat myself:
I believe the Bible teaches that Jesus Christ is God, was manifest in the flesh as a Man. And as a man He was a Jew, and He was the only one who kept the whole Law. So when it comes to eating, he ate according to the Mosaic Law and also depending on what was available I guess. He fulfilled the Law and He is also above the Law. I don't know what He would eat now as He doesn't need food. I don't think we should be concerned about what would Jesus eat since we have the New Testament that is relevant to gentiles. The Bible is not intended as the nutritional guide for the flesh, but for the spirit, for we do not live by bread alone.
It's natural for people to want to be healthy and find a cure for their ailments and they will look everywhere including the Bible as long as there is some hope. We just need to make sure we do not become obsessed with trying to heal our bodies and forget about the spirit. Pray for the sick and anoint them with oil in Jesus name, and the prayer of the saints shall make them well.