Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Mon, Mar-06-06, 19:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 177.5/148/135 Female 5'4"
BF:30.8%/25.2/20%
Progress: 69%

Kevin,
Have you tried anything besides their bread? This was the unforgettablesweets site right?
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Mon, Mar-06-06, 19:50
Kitchen Experimenter

Plan: General LC Maintenance
Stats: 230/160/165 Male 70 inches
BF:way less now
Progress: 108%

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyBabe88
Kevin,
Have you tried anything besides their bread? This was the unforgettablesweets site right?

No Ozzy to tell you the truth I have not tried anything but the bread, buns and bagel chips.

All have a great flavor and the texture is so close to normal homestyle bread that its hard to tell.

I have always had a difficult time reproducing that LC but I have never had that trouble with sweets so I do not see the necessity to buy my sweets at a premium price when I can make an acceptable lower cost alternative myself.
  #78   ^
Old Mon, Mar-06-06, 22:19

Stats: 177.5/148/135 Female 5'4"
BF:30.8%/25.2/20%
Progress: 69%

Ok thanks.
  #79   ^
Old Tue, Mar-07-06, 07:15

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 252/237/199 Male 5 10
BF:
Progress:

I have also been very skeptical of the Simple Treat products. I did press them on details and they said the PA. USDA confirmed the count of 3 for the bagels and 4 for the bread.

They stopped including labels on the package itself (odd), and when they did run labels the numbers didnt remotely add up. Not to make this a litigious discussion, but if they are intentionally misleading folks that are dieting I too would feel quite vicitmized.

Its a shame that there is no "watchdog" resource where you can simply send an item and get the real deal. The hidden carb counter is a useful tool, but it has no basis in reality if the labelling isnt honest to begin with.

As for Unforgettable Sweets:

A diabetic friend of mine tried the products, and his results were very much what Kevin's were: no impact on blood glucose beyond what the stated carb counts implied. As for taste, fabulous. Pizza crusts are the best out there and its not even close. I love the bread. but the bagels at Simple Treat are far superior. I hope there isnt a sneaky reason why this is so.
  #80   ^
Old Tue, Mar-07-06, 07:44

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 315/231.4/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 51%

Has anyone noticed that the orders portion of the website seems to be down? Or perhaps it is not up yet? I know Kevin said they were not quite complete with prep work.

Thank you all for your information thus far and for the bs testing information Kevin, that is very helpful and for your advise on moderation and portion control. I sure know I would have to be careful when dealing with this myself... as I still have a long way to goal.
  #81   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-06, 12:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/144/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:
Exclamation Simple Treat Bakery in Pittsburgh

As a response to my earlier post, I have some answers regarding Simple Treat Bakery in Pittsburgh.(not associated with the Unforgettable Sweets bakery in Washington, PA mentioned in the earlier posts)

THIS IS A FRAUD...the Simple Treat Bakery is selling products as low carb and they ARE NOT. Specifically bagels, pizza crusts, and italian bread. These products are completely normal and the carb count is extremely high.

They claim that there products have been comfirmed by the PA Dept of Agriculture. I contacted them (PA Dep of Ag) and spoke with several people - the PA Dept of Ag does not even do this kind of testing. They referred me to several others including the FDA. The FDA has had a lengthly investigation due to numerous complaints and they found that the products are not low carb, they are normal. The nutrition labels originally part of the packaging were completely innacurate and they have since been removed since the FDA can regulate this. The label now reads, simple treat bakery and the ingredients (unbleached flour, salt and water). The bakeries verbally claim the low carb, very aggressively and defensively! To make this even worse, they sell these producte to GNC stores as low carb!!! The FDA does not have the authority to regulate in another retail establishment.

Personally, my 2 attemps at low carbing have been ruined due to these lies. Even though I consumed these products in moderation (maybe a bagel every 2-3 days) that was enough to completely sabotage my efforts.

I would hate to have any more peoples efforts at lc'ing destroyed by these products. Please question any product claims if it seems "too good to be true"
  #82   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-06, 13:11
Kitchen Experimenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laydebleu
Has anyone noticed that the orders portion of the website seems to be down? Or perhaps it is not up yet?

Lady from What I understand they do not have and online order program like most sites. I believe you print out the order form and fax it to them and they ship you the order. Maybe ShayKNJ can tell us how she did her order. Anyway I think this was their way of accommodating those that wanted to order from a distance.
  #83   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-06, 16:30

BF:
Progress:

Lady, I ordered by phone from the main number you see posted on their website, and the products were in my hand in four days. Piece of cake.

Good luck
  #84   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-06, 19:28

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 315/231.4/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 51%

Thanks all!
  #85   ^
Old Thu, Mar-09-06, 11:03

Plan: low carb
Stats: 185/177/145 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:Too much/21%/22%
Progress: 20%

I printed out their order form from the website and faxed over my order.
  #86   ^
Old Thu, Mar-09-06, 12:50
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Its possible to get this stuff tested but its expensive too
http://www.intertek-cb.com/newsitet...l19012004.shtml

Prices start at $450

http://www.nutridata.com/ another company that does it. There are many of them but who will pay for this testing?
  #87   ^
Old Sat, Mar-11-06, 10:10

BF:
Progress:

I can think of two gentleman whose names are often seperated by an ampersand that will likely be very interested in paying for this testing. I'd like to suggest in a friendly way that if you own any of this product, freeze it and save it.

Have a nice day.
  #88   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 01:06

Stats: 194/131/135 Female 63 inches
BF:Too/Much/Fluff!
Progress: 107%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdownbeat
I can think of two gentleman whose names are often seperated by an ampersand that will likely be very interested in paying for this testing. I'd like to suggest in a friendly way that if you own any of this product, freeze it and save it.

Have a nice day.

Wow...I just discovered this thread and have been reading all the posts! I'm a little confused, though, so I just wanted to clarify things:

The "good product", tested by Kevin (Way to go Kevin! ) is the one made by Unforgettable Sweets and is the one that some of you have ordered from the web site, right? And the "bad" products are the ones that are being sold at GNC from Simple Treats Bakery and are a total fraud?

And, I'm sure this is probably a really stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway! Who are the two gentlemen whose names are separated by an ampersand and why wouldn't they mind paying for the testing of suspicious products?
  #89   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 01:25
Kitchen Experimenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaniels
The "good product", tested by Kevin (Way to go Kevin! ) is the one made by Unforgettable Sweets and is the one that some of you have ordered from the web site, right? And the "bad" products are the ones that are being sold at GNC from Simple Treats Bakery and are a total fraud?

That is correct. And I have no clue who the 2 guys are....lol
  #90   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 05:40

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Male 77 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaniels
And, I'm sure this is probably a really stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway! Who are the two gentlemen whose names are separated by an ampersand and why wouldn't they mind paying for the testing of suspicious products?

I am glad you asked cuz I was thinking the same thing?

Roger & Ebert?
Hannity & Colmes?
Johnson & Johnson?