Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-06, 19:14
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

I'm glad you're doing better. I hope things continue to improve.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-06, 17:14
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 121/118/115 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Have you tried niacin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindySue48
Same here.....can't sleep, but for me it's that twitchy restless legs feeling.....and then foot cramps. I went to bed early tonight, because I'm so damned tired.....and Ive been tossing and turning for almost 4 hours!!!

Well, I just took my potassium and magnesium.....so hopefully I can get to sleep soon! <SNIP remainder>

CindySue:

Have you tried just taking straight (not time-released, also called "plain") niacin right before you go to bed? I have suffered from RLS for years, and although they have a new prescription out for RLS sufferers, my best result has always been to simply pop 100mg (sometimes up to 300mg) right before bedtime. You'll feel the niacin "flush," which some people feel is unpleasant, but to me it feels like a lifeline. Something about the niacin opening up the circulatory system relieves the RLS for me, and it works for many of my family members, as well (all of whom have RLS).

HTH,
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-06, 21:10

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut16
CindySue:

Have you tried just taking straight (not time-released, also called "plain") niacin right before you go to bed? I have suffered from RLS for years, and although they have a new prescription out for RLS sufferers, my best result has always been to simply pop 100mg (sometimes up to 300mg) right before bedtime. You'll feel the niacin "flush," which some people feel is unpleasant, but to me it feels like a lifeline. Something about the niacin opening up the circulatory system relieves the RLS for me, and it works for many of my family members, as well (all of whom have RLS).

HTH,
Haven't heard this one until now. I have hot flushes due to menopause.....not sure I want to add something else that causes the same thing! I do take B complex that has niacin, maybe I'll try taking it at bedtime.
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-06, 03:15
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindySue48
Haven't heard this one until now. I have hot flushes due to menopause.....not sure I want to add something else that causes the same thing! I do take B complex that has niacin, maybe I'll try taking it at bedtime.

Hi, CindySue: I've been peri-menopausal thru menopausal for 13 years now, and honestly, the niacin has never triggered an episode of flashes or nightsweats, from which I suffered unmercifully. Don't know if this helps you or not, but plain niacin is pretty cheap (like $2.00 a bottle), so you might want to try it out, see if it works for you. RLS is miserable stuff!!
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-06, 19:28

Plan: OWL
Stats: 225/223/145 Female 66.5"
BF:
Progress: 3%

Hi Everyone,
I was in Iowa for a long weekend. How is everyone doing, Great I hope! My leg cramps are really not to bad now since I have started taking the Mag & Pott & VT-D. Thanks to everyone's comments. I really think it is all working.

Now just to get the Neuropathy to let up and my feet to be normal would be great.
I have to go to a orthopedic doctor tomorrow to about my hip and knee. I already have a new right hip and they may want to do the other one. Also I have torn cartilage in my knee for the 3rd time. But since I have been takeing all of these VT's I don't hurt as much. But there is days when I can hardly walk, So I shall see. Also this is a new doctor I am going to.

Well take care and I will talk to you all later.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-06, 13:15
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleynana
Hi Everyone,
I was in Iowa for a long weekend. How is everyone doing, Great I hope! My leg cramps are really not to bad now since I have started taking the Mag & Pott & VT-D. Thanks to everyone's comments. I really think it is all working.
I hope you're taking calcium as well. Vitamin D should never be taken without magnesium and calcium.

I'm so glad you're feeling so much better!!!
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-06, 14:58

BF:

Hi , Yes I am takeing all of my VT's. And today I seen a new Doctor and he says I have arthritis now, and put me on meds for that. And hopefully it will help my knee and hip, and then I won't need to have more surgeries.

I have always been bad at taking pills, but I have been 99% good of taking everything now. I want to be healthy and skinny not sick and skinny.
How are you doing Zuleikaa? You have lost a lot of weight, what is keeping you motivated? Do you work out to help you?
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-06, 17:18
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Yes, I've lost a lot. Over and over and over again. I'm hoping with the discovery of vitamin D I'll finally have long-term success.

What keeps me motivated is the lack of choice. I can either resign myself to becoming ever heavier or I can keep trying and plugging away. To me there is no choice, so I keep plugging.

I really only work out during the summer. Then I swim. I find it's great for strenth and flexibility without putting pressure on my joints.
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 11:22

BF:

Good morning,
I just got back from the gym. Rode the bike 7miles, did nautilus for waist & arms, and swam 10 laps today. My arms were tired out from the workout. I have gave my self some goals to help me keep motivated.
When i hit below 200: Pedicure
175: Spa Day
150-: Spa & Cruise

I'm hoping to hit 150 or lower by June 1st. Our aniversery is the 4th and I would love to go then, but only if I hit my goal. My girlfriend here says she knows that I will do it. Because I have the motivation. I know I do, but I just seem like I am really tired lately. But it could be because I don't get out much with DH sitting here at home also.
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 09:09

BF:

Hi, Well I thought I let you all know that I am having leg cramps again, and I am takeing my vitamins everyday. So I guess I will have to talk to my MD and see what else I can do. I even at times take the Pott. & Mag twice a day.
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 20:13
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleynana
Hi, Well I thought I let you all know that I am having leg cramps again, and I am takeing my vitamins everyday. So I guess I will have to talk to my MD and see what else I can do. I even at times take the Pott. & Mag twice a day.
You can take it more often. Are you peeing a lot? That would be an indication for more.

Sometimes when peeing a lot I have to take the combo 4 times. It's what my body needs.

And I would say with all the exercise you're doing, your body might need it.
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-06, 01:05
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
You can take it more often. Are you peeing a lot? That would be an indication for more.

Sometimes when peeing a lot I have to take the combo 4 times. It's what my body needs.

And I would say with all the exercise you're doing, your body might need it.

I would be extremely hesitant to recommend that anyone take more than the recommended daily allowance of Potassium; too much potassium can be literally deadly, as can a potassium deficiency. I don't recall off-hand the rda for potassium (is it 99 mgs?), but before you even remotely consider boosting the amount you take, you should talk to your doctor - who seems to see you often enough to be familiar with your bloodwork - and see what he/she says.

Potassium isn't like some vits & mins, wherein too much is simply disposed of via urine. Don't boost your consumption without talking to your doctor FIRST.

Peanut16
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-06, 10:22
Finding the Pieces

BF:

I agree with peanut that you should confer with your doctor. However, the RDA of potassium is woefully low. Further, I wouldn't take the RDA of any nutrient as those levels are woefully inadequate and mean nothing as a basis for good health.

Read:
http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/sep..._neglected.htm\
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-06, 10:50
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Recommended daily allowance for Potassium

US RDA: 3.5g
EU RDA: 3.5g

It'd be hard, but not impossible, to get anywhere near that amount from a supplement.
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Jan-31-06, 03:46
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
It'd be hard, but not impossible, to get anywhere near that amount from a supplement .
(Nancy LC was citing the 3.5gm RDA for Potassium vis-a-vis the previous discussion).

I don't disagree at all with what you are saying; although I'm personally pretty cavalier about a wide variety of supplements, I'm a bit tentative about potassium, as I had a great-aunt whose heart simply stopped due to a potassium imbalance. No warning, no indicators - it just stopped. (Fortunately, her paramedic son was with her, and although her breastplate got cracked in two, she made it, although that's not relevant to this discussion). If memory serves, it was due to taking too much potassium, which ironically she was doing to offset a potassium deficiency .

So, between that familial experience, and the rather stern warnings I've heard from a few doctors and a pharmacist or two advising against "over-doing" on potassium, I just wanted to put in a word about being careful. I know from personal experience how desperate you can get to try to get some surcease from leg cramps and RLS...it would be easy to overdo on almost anything to get them to stop...so I merely wanted to remind harleynana to use caution.

HTH,