Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-13, 08:21
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflammabl
Support hose? No real man would wear a support hose. Support hose. Pleah. What do you think I am, some girly man? Please. I do wear a G-sock. 30-40mmHg Sigvaris like a fighter pilot. Yeah.

BTW - Thanks to you and others I've lost so much weight that I've dropped a whole size in G-socks (L to M).

30-40mmHg Sigvaris is what I wear too. Sorry my choice of words offended you, I didn't mean it that way at all.

Congrats on your losses! Keeping your weight stable will also help.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-13, 08:26
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan
Wow. What a timely bump - I have vein surgery scheduled for Friday this week. I went in originally to have some spider veins removed and was told I had deep vein insufficiency in both legs that needed to be dealt with first. They ran all the dopler sonogram tests, I was there for more than an hour. I don't know if I've ever had a blood clot, but the young woman who sat next to me at work died of a sudden Pulmonary Embolism at Christmas, so it's on my mind a lot.

I'm going on a long plane journey in August and will be ordering the support hose from the link above to be on the safe side.

On a final note, my gut instinct tells me that if I hadn't been addicted to walking and long hikes for the last 30 years I would have been in big trouble by now. Not smoking, eating low carb, and walking might be the three best things we can do for our health.

If you've never had leg pain, then you probably didn't have a clot. It's very painful!
While its wise to get compression hose, its also wise to get up every 20-30 minutes while in flight and walk around a bit.
Have a great trip!

By the way, I got out of jury duty on a permanent basis due to my chronic condition.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-13, 08:41

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

It would appear that the only risk factor I DIDN'T have was lack of exercise. Other than that it was all bad: I'm over 50, was overweight until low carb, have a family history, am a former 4-pack a day smoker and sit for long periods at a desk. I seriously wonder how I made it this far.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-13, 08:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
If you've never had leg pain, then you probably didn't have a clot. It's very painful!
While its wise to get compression hose, its also wise to get up every 20-30 minutes while in flight and walk around a bit.
Have a great trip!

By the way, I got out of jury duty on a permanent basis due to my chronic condition.

Thanks, Judy. I've never had leg pain, other than chronic, debilitating night cramps. So, it's a relief to hear that maybe I've not had a clot. So sorry you suffered that pain. I get out of jury duty permanently too - by being a resident alien, not a citizen.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-13, 10:01

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

For those who sit a lot, on the job or on the computer, make sure your chair seat height is low enough so your feet (toes & heels) can sit firmly on the ground. If you cannot lower the seat, find a box or something to put under your feet. The key is to not have your thighs compressed against the seat.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-13, 10:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
30-40mmHg Sigvaris is what I wear too. Sorry my choice of words offended you, I didn't mean it that way at all.

Congrats on your losses! Keeping your weight stable will also help.

I'm sorry. Your words of choice were just fine. I should have put a smiley face on my response.

After getting a G-sock I was talking with a buddy of mine and had called it a compression sock. We then set about analyzing how it worked. Compression pressures, the height of my clot, similarities to hydrostatic pressures, etc. etc. and he said "It's like a G-suit only just for your leg!" Ever since I like to think of it as a "G-sock" and not a compression hose. It's funny to me.

(<---- smiley)
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-13, 10:39
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Thanks, Judy. I've never had leg pain, other than chronic, debilitating night cramps. So, it's a relief to hear that maybe I've not had a clot. So sorry you suffered that pain. I get out of jury duty permanently too - by being a resident alien, not a citizen.

Better to get checked anyway as my sister had a clot without any pain at all.
She wasn't able to relate to my pain levels and forced me to sit in a tight backseat....ugh...but I'm not going to start complaining about my bitch of a sister.

Yeah, another reason to not become a citizen!!
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-13, 10:43
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflammabl
I'm sorry. Your words of choice were just fine. I should have put a smiley face on my response.

After getting a G-sock I was talking with a buddy of mine and had called it a compression sock. We then set about analyzing how it worked. Compression pressures, the height of my clot, similarities to hydrostatic pressures, etc. etc. and he said "It's like a G-suit only just for your leg!" Ever since I like to think of it as a "G-sock" and not a compression hose. It's funny to me.

(<---- smiley)

ahhhh, got it now!! Thanks for the clarification.

I see many runners wearing a compression sock now. Its becoming a 'look'.

I have to admit though that on really hot days, I hate wearing them! So when its over 90, I don't. But my left leg has been getting worse lately and feels hot when I don't wear them. uhoh....
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-13, 12:26
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I talked to my doctor about having a Leiden Factor V gene yesterday and he told me:

1) Never, ever take estrogen
2) Take low dose aspirin if you're going to be on a long trip and immobile.
3) Fidget and flap your feet a lot when you're seated a long time and/or get up and walk a bit.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-13, 12:36

BF:

My vascular surgeon's office just called and told me to bring 30-40 strength compression tights with me. The appointment is the day after tomorrow, I can't find them anywhere, so I guess I'll have to buy them from the surgeon, at $80. Grrrrr! Why are these things so expensive?
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-13, 12:54
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Have you checked for any pharmacy supply stores in your area?

I got some hits when I googled "where to buy compression stockings in new york city".
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-13, 13:05

BF:

Nancy: I googled that same thing as soon as the surgeon called me. No success. I have to have tights, not stockings, and everyone I spoke with only had stockings, and they were around the same price. It's bad enough they're so expensive, but I am NOT looking forward to wearing tights in a NYC summer. Judy said she takes them off when it gets over 90 degrees. Maybe I'll have to as well but I really want to get the best results possible from this surgery.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-13, 14:46
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
My vascular surgeon's office just called and told me to bring 30-40 strength compression tights with me. The appointment is the day after tomorrow, I can't find them anywhere, so I guess I'll have to buy them from the surgeon, at $80. Grrrrr! Why are these things so expensive?

The stockings are the same price in store. There is a surgical supply store, Halpern's, on 23st between 1st ave and 2nd ave.
331 E 23rd St
New York
(212) 683-0148

They will fit you and sell them to you, if they have your size in stock.
Did he say stockings or knee highs?
Do you see any surgical supply stores near where you work?

ps- I only wear knee highs.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-13, 16:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Nancy: I googled that same thing as soon as the surgeon called me. No success. I have to have tights, not stockings, and everyone I spoke with only had stockings, and they were around the same price. It's bad enough they're so expensive, but I am NOT looking forward to wearing tights in a NYC summer. Judy said she takes them off when it gets over 90 degrees. Maybe I'll have to as well but I really want to get the best results possible from this surgery.

Like Judy said, I suggest you get measured and buy your first few at the store/doctor. A good fit is very important. The specialty stores are generally better at measuring as they do it more often than the doctor's offices. Too tall and they wrinkle and are very uncomfortable. Too small and they lose some of their functionality (the compression gradient isn't quite right) and tear easily. Now that I have my own trial and error opinion, in the past two years I've settled on the Sigvaris brand buying from foryourlegs.com.

PS - I wear a full length hose even while turkey hunting and don't notice it much or at least have gotten used to it. Life is good.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-13, 07:40

BF:

Great information about the supplier and the need for measuring, guys. So grateful, thank you. I called Halpern's and unfortunately won't have time now to get down there today and get measured prior to surgery, but maybe next week. I'll buy the first pair from the doctor tomorrow and fingers crossed they fit well. Halpern's btw is even more expensive - $120! Oh well, it is what it is. The doctor said I need tights (panty hose, I guess) not stockings or knee highs.

This morning I couldn't help noticing several women wearing tights even though the weather is great in NYC today. One young woman had stockings on under jeans. I wondered if they have the same problem or if it's some kind of fashion statement.