Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-04-05, 04:52

Plan: 30/60/90
Stats: 000/000/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Protein pastry - wheat and soy free

This turned out really well. The crust was very light and 'short' or flaky. It has a high fat content, so its pretty calorific. On the other hand, a whole pie crust is only 9 net carbs!
I made a bacon and spinach quiche for dinner last night, and there was no soggy bottom to it - in fact, the base had browned a little. I also made a couple of small pumpkin pies using the sweet variation. You can make cheese crackers using the cheese variation below. (I will post pictures if I can finally figure out how to do that)

Basic recipe; enough to line a 9" deep pie dish.

100g unflavoured unsweetened whey protein powder (1+1/3 cups)
80g salted butter (scant 3 tablespoons)
50g ground almonds (3 tablespoons)
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
1 1/2 - 2 tablespoons water

In a bowl or food processor, mix the whey and almond flour with the xanthan gum. Rub in the butter. Sprinkle on the water bit by bit, kneading as you go, until you have a smooth dough. Turn out onto a sheet of cling film, cover with another sheet of film, and roll out thinly (1.5mm approx). Peel off the top sheet of film. Slide your hand under the pastry, and invert carefully over your pie dish. Using the film, press gently into the sides, and press out any cracks that appear. Peel off the film and trim off the edge of the pastry neatly. Spray a piece of foil with oil, and line the pastry case. Bake blind at 160C (310F) for 5 minutes. Take out and cool. Remove the foil liner. You can freeze it at this point, or fill and bake it. I cooked the quiche filling for 30 minutes at 150C. You may need to cover the top with baking paper to stop the crust browing too fast.

Nutrition for whole recipe (approx 260 grams pastry):- 1278 kcal, fat 96g (sat 46, poly 9, mono 35), protein 88, carbs 18, of which 9 are fibre.

Variations: sweet pie crust - add a crushed tablet of splenda (1 tsp bulk splenda) or use an sf syrup in place of the water.
Cheese crackers or savoury pie crust: add 2 ounces of grated parmesan, a teaspoon of onion powder, and a dash of cayenne pepper to the dough. Sprinkle crackers with poppy or sesame seeds before baking.

neo_crone
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-04-05, 07:40

BF:

#3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-04-05, 10:29
Kitchen Experimenter

Plan: General LC Maintenance
Stats: 230/160/165 Male 70 inches
BF:way less now
Progress: 108%

Here is my Lorraine Quiche that I just made using your crust. It turned out a bit crispy but that was because the quiche took longer than your 30 min bake time. I will keep experimenting

#4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-04-05, 10:56
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I will have to try the crackers.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-04-05, 11:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinpa
Here is my Lorraine Quiche that I just made using your crust. It turned out a bit crispy but that was because the quiche took longer than your 30 min bake time. I will keep experimenting

Cool! Hope it tasted good. Mine was a bit browner than I wanted. I should have kept an eye on it, but I was watching a film while it was in the oven!

neo_crone
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-04-05, 11:21

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I will have to try the crackers.

I am ashamed to say I munched my way through the whole batch in two sittings. I can't resist that savoury crunch.

neo_crone