Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-01, 13:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/132/120
BF:
Progress: 40%
Smile Tried adding Carbs...lost some pounds

I have been LC (under 20 grams) for about a month and had only lost a few punds. This is also with serious excersising. So, I decided to add some carbs in to my diet once or twice in the last week. I had some torilla chips with spinach and artichoke dip once and then I had some oatmeal for breakfast.

And, I lost 4 pounds!! So, I think for me at least, it works to take a break from LC 24/7!

Maybe this will work for others who are turtles!
I read in Atkins that sometimes you need to take a break to shock your body when you do go back to LC.

Has anyone else tried this approach?

Have a great day and keep up all you hard work.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-01, 16:21
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Cool Yep

I lost 7lbs after I had two days of moderate carbs.
So it worked for me.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-01, 06:58
Registered Member

Stats: 202.1/193.1/145
BF:
Progress: 16%

I have also heard that "a little binge" can jump start the ketosis again. Sometimes I think we get stuck in a rut and need an extra push. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing. I love to read everyones ideas to get some for my myself.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-01, 13:23

Plan: Predominantly Atkins
Stats: 320/260/145
BF:
Progress: 34%

Atkins does mention that, as long as we don't go overboard - what you took in was very sensible (not like you ate 3 lbs of chocolate or anything ). If I find myself in a big stall, I might try upping my vegi carb intake, or eating a small bowl of rolled oats for breakfast.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 12:37
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 161/151/130
BF:
Progress: 32%

It worked for me too!! After reading these posts, I tried upping my carbs for a day(beef stew for dinner and chex for breakfast the 2nd day)----dropped 5 lbs the 3rd day!! I had been in a stall since induction, and I really believe this is what did it! Thanks for the advice! I have already passed it on to others. Hey, whatever works, right?
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 12:59
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile

I've increased my carbs as well, but in the form of increased vegetable portions, the odd piece of low-carb fruit or occasional controlled portions of starchy high-fiber vegetable such as lentils, kidney beans or squash.

I believe the type of carb makes a difference too ... I notice that nobody here has said they upped their carbs by eating sugar, desserts or white flour things.

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 22:11
Registered Member

BF:

Doreen,
You are absolutely right about the choices of carbs many have chosen to up occasionally. Maybe that means that we actually DO GET IT!! Until you mentioned it, sweets were not something I even thought of--too much temptation after so much work already invested! I really miss fruits so so much, but am waiting until I am finished induction. I love fruits too much to gamble just yet. I do not have a big window of veggies that I really like, so I just eat lots of the ones I enjoy. I love listening to all your great advice. Thanks.
Jonee
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 03:52

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 260/260/155 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I have up'd my carbs to about 40 a day. However, they are high fiber carbs and after subtracting the fiber it is still below 20 grams. This has really helped me both by continued weight lose and by added variety. I still can't eat much cheese, bacon or lunch meat, or heavy cream. I did have a wonderful bowl of oatmeal recently and it was interesting that I used it as a sedative. Haven't been sleeping well so after a few nights I made some homemade oatmeal and slept 8 hours. Now am back to LCing but not sleeping well again. I guess when I have lost the weight I intend to I can add oatmeal as part of on-going WOE.

It is taking a long time to figure out what works and what doesn't for me personally. I am grateful for the threads because they give me clues. Thanks for all your support out there.

Susan
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 18:12
Registered Member

BF:

Susan,

What kind of high-fiber carbs? I need all the creativity I can get. You are right about how long a process it is to find out what foods do or don't work for you individually. I have also cut out most cheese and even eggs for awhile. I used to have 2 tbls. of peanut butter at night for a snack, but it was on the list of things I picked up from other posts that possibly could cause stalls. So, no more peanut butter for me right now. I stopped bacon too. But you know what-eggs and bacon were not even filling me up anyway. So. I eat the same amount of carbs for breakfast by substituting a high fiber dry cereal. I may have to try the oatmeal, but I usually can't eat a whole bowl and I know the flavored ones don't count!! I have to admit that I have never felt better in years. I was always so sluggish and tired all the time, and I know I was a carb addict(anything bready or salty). So, if you think of it, please share some of the foods you have found helpful. Thanks.

Jonee
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 01:41

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 260/260/155 Female 69 inches
BF:

Jonee,

I try to eat most of my carbs as vegies including broccoli, spinach, fennel, cauliflower and avocados. I limit hard cheese to 1oz a day and cream cheese to 2oz a day. I use the ounce of cheese in a 2 egg omelette with 1/2 avocado or spinach and cooked in butter. For lunch at work I have found that Bumble Bee makes smoked salmon in a tin so I mix that with a little cream cheese. I also eat fennel like you would celery and cut up a fennel bulb to chomp on during mid-afternoon.

I use fitday.com to check the carbs in stuff and how many are fiber. As long as after I subtract the fiber I am still under 20 carbs, this seems to work. I tried cereal and oatmeal (not the packaged kind - those are too full of junk) but it seems that carbs based on starchy stuff just don't work. The only salt I add is a little to my eggs in the morning but I do have lots of spices that I throw into evening stuff or in my crockpot with meat and broth.

This is after a lot of experimenting to see what worked. This is finally something I can live with as opposed to having to work at it all the time.

Good luck. Susan
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 06:28
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Susan, I am always looking for new ideas. I am getting bored with my routine and will try some of your ideas, although we are both eating about the same. I need to increase my veggie intake a bit, tho. I think I sometimes eat too much protein. I have been so busy at work this week, that my water intake has suffered, and I am feeling it. Gotta find a way around that. Well, thanks for the info and look forward to talking to you again soon.
Jonee
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 01:30
Registered Member

Stats: 195/195/135
BF:
Smile

I just recently cheated for two days and then three days later dropped four pounds. I am soooo happy. It took almost a month to take of seven.

Pearl
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 08:21
Registered Member

BF:

Pearl, I think we may have stumbled onto something here!! I am still too new to determine when my next stall will be, but I will be waiting with something good!!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 11:38
Registered Member

Stats: 195/195/135
BF:
Smile

I think I will plan my next stall. My birthday is next week and I so plan on having cake.... I might have a few other things but I will not go overboard. My next stall after that is the day that I find out that I am pregnant. I will be buying a box of twinkies(which I have been craving since the beginning of my diet) and eating them all at work. HAHAHAHAHA!

Pearl
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 14:33

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile Excited!!

What a great thread. I've been on a stall for weeks. This thread has just given me some wonderful ideas.

Love yours Pearl - a planned boost of carbs!! I reckon I am due one tomorrow as it is Valentine's Day.

Doreen, thanks indeed: I have really missed humous - chick peas with lots of herbs and spices and olive oil. I'll try a very small pot.

Take care.

Last edited by fiona : Wed, Feb-13-02 at 14:39.