Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 03:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/145/123
BF:
Progress: 0%
Unhappy Frustrated!

I weighed myself yesterday for the first time after four days on the diet hoping to see some difference and to my surprise I gained 400 gm

And I was so frustrated and annoyed that I had a coffee with sugar and had a chocolate and then hated myself for it.
It is just very disappointing to hear that everybody loses weight in the induction quickly and I gain!

Could it be that this diet is not for me? Am I doomed to lose weight only with starvation?
I am confused. I spent so much time down the gym lifting weights and doing cardio
I don't know what to do now.
Is this normal to gain weight in your induction?
Here is an example of my daily eating plan so that you can tell me what I did wrong.
Breakfast
Cheese and salami
Lunch
Omelette with double cream, cheese, bacon, two slices of pepper and one mushroom
Dinner
Burgers with cheese on top and small salad with lettuce, onion, pepper and garlic dressing
Snack: salami, cheese
Looots of water and some chewing gum
What do you think??
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 10:07

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%

Im so sorry U are frusterated but I wouldnt give up!!! I do see some problems that may be effecting your weight loss. U list onions..high in carbs...deli meats can cause people to stall...high in salt too....and cheese can be a major problem for some with weight loss. The thing is too...U just quit smoking right?Your metabolism has changed and will be awhile before your body gets on track. For the next week..stick to very low-carb veggies and meat...steak, pork, chicken, eggs and fish. Dont weigh yourself until after the week is over and check again. Very soon u will see the scale move.
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 10:30

BF:
Talking

Thank you for your support , I felt a little bit better after I read your words.
I didn't quit smoking now, I quit smoking at the beginning of September and I gained 20 pounds after that. That is the reason I gained weight. I didn't know that your metabolism changes when you quit smoking.

I am quite confused with the low carb vegetables because onion is in the list. I don't know which ones I can have without fear. Cheese on the other hand is 0 carbs and you know that no matter how much I eat I get no carbs, maybe it doesn't go well with my body though. Are you sure we are alloed snacking between the meals or do we just need to eat our main meals?

I think I will try again on the 2nd of January when my family goes back to my country and I am alone in my house again organising my fridge.
But is it possible to gain weight?
thanks again for everything!
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 11:09

BF:

Onions happen to be high in carbs,,,along with potatoes, corn peas and carrots. This time of yr is hard, so just be patient and go at low-carbing full guns in Jan. All cheese has a few carbs in them but its more how it reacts with each individual. As for the non-smoking...all I can say is WAY TO GO!!! That is so important!!
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 11:30

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Re: Frustrated!

Quote:
Originally posted by Moraki
I weighed myself yesterday for the first time after four days on the diet hoping to see some difference and to my surprise I gained 400 gm

Moraki...

I think that you are being too hard on yourself. Four days is really not long enough to make any decisions about how this 'diet' works for you. I'm sure that if you weighed yourself every four days while NOT dieting, you'd find at least 400gram fluctuations if not more. Going on and off diets will only compound the problem so be sure that you are going to stick with it when you decide to start.

Here's a list about veggies from Dr. Atkins that I saved for myself :

<I>You can have 2 to 3 cups of Category 1 vegetables, or salad, on Induction:
Leafy greens such as Boston, romaine and other lettuces;
arugula, endive, escarole, parsley, spinach and watercress;
also bean sprouts, celery, cucumbers, mushrooms, peppers and radishes.

In addition you can have 1 cup of Category 2 vegetables (and cut your salad vegetables to 2 cups):
Asparagus, bamboo shoots, broccoli, broccoli rabe, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, collards,
eggplant, jicama, kale, kohlrabi, leeks, mustard greens, okra, onions, plantains, pumpkin, scallions,
shallots, snow pea pods, spaghetti squash, string or wax beans, Swiss chard, tomato, turnips, water chestnuts and zucchini.

Two special category vegetables you can also have include:
Haas (California) avocado (1/2 per day) and olives (10 to 20 per day).

Reintroduce these higher-carbohydrate vegetables in small amounts when you are in the Lifetime Maintenance phase of the plan:
Beets, carrots, parsnips, peas, sweet potatoes, white potatoes and yams.</I>

Hope this helps some.
Marlaine
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 11:41

BF:
Default The List So Far - Reprise

Here is the list again with a few notes added to further define the foods:

<b>Processed Meats
Caffeine
Nicotine
Bacon
Cheese
Alcohol - Beer
Nuts & Nut Butters
Artificial Sweeteners</b> & anything containing AS's such as diet jello and diet soda pop
<b>Protein bars
Low carb food products that imitate high carb food
Eating a wide combination of food in one day
Too many pork rinds </b>

I think we've pretty much covered them all now. I'll only update the list if something is added that doesn't fall under one of the above categories. Thanks to EVERYONE!! for participating.

Marlaine
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 14:01

BF:
Default question

why is it that pork rinds MAY cause a stall? I have never eaten too many anyway just wondering. Also I am making my stuffing this yr using pork rinds. Anyone ever try that?
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 10:22

Plan: low carb
Stats: 324/228/180 Female 5feet 6inches
BF:47%
Progress: 67%

Re pork rinds. I think it is the high salt content, but I drink a lot of water an never really have a problem with them.
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 13:37

Stats: 285/252/180 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

This is a great posting.. I can see how the foods people are commenting on can stall.. the salts and preservatives etc.

I do have one question.. because there is one statement.. about having too wide of variety of food in one day? I thought it was best to have a variety to keep your system moving along and not getting to accustom to what you are eating..

No one has commented on this.. any feedback?

I eat the things on the list in moderation.. I have to admit I got over my bacon frenzy.. it is something I LOVE and when I started LC.. and could eat it.. WOW.. everyday for a week..

I have cut back and switched to nitrate free bacon...

It is hard, I find.. for lunches not to eat lunch meat ...i try to get the healthiest as possible..

Thanks to everyone who posted for the stall list..

Ramona
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 14:32

BF:

I try to eat a variety of foods everyday so I dont get bored with what I eat. I have found a bacon..no sugar and 33% less salt and so I eat that twice a week.
  #56   ^
Old Sun, Dec-16-01, 01:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by RamonaK
I do have one question.. because there is one statement.. about having too wide of variety of food in one day? I thought it was best to have a variety to keep your system moving along and not getting to accustom to what you are eating..

No one has commented on this.. any feedback?
Ramona

<b>Ramona</b>
That was Karen that said that and I read her saying that in another post too.

<b>Karen</b>
You've got two of us curious about this. Care to expound? I'm very interested in hearing your theory.

Marlaine
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-01, 10:38
Registered Member

Stats: 314/265/160
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default My stalls

I haven't been on the diet for too long (3 weeks today), but I've noticed one thing that hasn't impacted my weight loss but it has impacted my motivation and the way I feel: aspartame.

I used to drink the occasional Diet Coke, but am trying to avoid caffeine as much as possible. I was drinking a lot of club soda until Dan brought home flavored, sugar free, carbonated water. My first drink was fine. Second gulp was more like, "What is that taste?" and the third swig was followed by, "Could I have water instead?"

I have always been a sweet 'n' low user but I have noticed that I am developing a heightened distaste for aspartame. Saccharin is fine so far, but aspartame really does a number on my stomach.

I've decided to try to avoid it all together because of the reaction I've noticed.

I'm doing a month-long induction since I have so much weight I want to lose, but going by the ketostix, too much salad in one day tends to reduce my level of ketosis slightly.

Michelle
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-01, 10:54

BF:

Marlaine, your words are very inspiring and I will stick to the amount of vegetables you recommend. As you said I was being impatient and because one of my 'male' friends lost 5 kgs in the first week I thought that maybe it could happen to me too but it didn't and I was disappointed.

I really like the LC WOL and I really want it to work for me as well.
I will try and cut the chewing gum completely, cut the snacking and have breakfast. I will feel a bit queasy the first few days but soon I will be looking forward to it, right?

Are you sure I can use full cream and whipping cream? I am still afraid of using them

I am eating less this week but I will be back on the plan on the 2nd of January.

By the way this is a great website
Merry Christmas to you all
Moraki
  #59   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-01, 18:43

Stats: 136/136/120
BF:
Progress:
Default protein bars

I've always wondered why these practically put me out of ketosis, then on one of these threads I found the hidden carb counter--I was amazed to find Dr. Atkins bar had 10 carbs when it states it only has 2.5. That just amazes me, particularly when it is designed specifically for his low carb program.
  #60   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-01, 01:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Moraki
I really like the LC WOL and I really want it to work for me as well.
I will try and cut the chewing gum completely, cut the snacking and have breakfast. I will feel a bit queasy the first few days but soon I will be looking forward to it, right?

YES!! you will feel better and better the longer you stick with the plan. And the closer you stick to it, the sooner you'll get feeling better. The queasiness goes away.

Quote:
Are you sure I can use full cream and whipping cream? [/B]

Positive. Just don't forget to count the carbs. Have you taken a look at www.fitday.com ? I sure makes keeping track of everything easy.

Consider starting a journal here too. It will give everyone a place to visit you and encourage you too. You can do it! Just like the rest of us here are doing it, one foot in front of the other, one day at a time.

Marlaine

Last edited by Marlaine : Tue, Dec-18-01 at 01:12.