Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-01, 08:14

Plan: Schwarzbein prin
Stats: 158/155/120
BF:
Progress:

Dee Sinn--

I can tell I've had too much salt if I sit on the computer, with my legs hanging down for about an hour, and I get up and the bottoms of my feet feel ROUND.

Also, if I wake up on my face-- my face will be SO puffy, I'm almost unrecognizable! I think this has happened more as I get older, though, salt never did this to me when I was young.

By the way, I'm NOT in congestive heart failure, my B.P. is normal and etc.

YB
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-01, 14:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/218/144
BF:48/42.3/22
Progress: 26%

I don't have any medical problems either...and I do drink tons and tons of water...but my body is really sensitive to salt...even just a little will make me puffy...so I avoid it.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-01, 21:58

Stats: 190/178.2/140
BF:
Progress: 24%
Unhappy Yikes!!

Now you guys have sufficiently scared me to death--ha ha!

I am so new (just day 15) that I haven't even thought about a stall yet. The first extra carbs I added were the Macadamia nuts because everyone on here was posting them in menus and I was soooooo ready to crunch food after induction. I only had 1/4 cup and counted the 4 grams. So I guess tomorrow morning when I weigh, we will see.

I am considering cutting way back on the cheese (I used it liberally, shredded on salads, during my 2 week induction period.) I was thinking that maybe I'd want to up the veggies, etc. and figured the cheese was just not as necessary since I love the meats. I too avoid processed meats . The thing I think I miss the most is cereal, I love Kashi but at 24 carbs per serving, don't think I'll be adding that back again.

I think I'm doing fine on my water, I've had 80 ounces today and I'm sloshing all the way to the bathroom, frequently.

I drink the decafe coffee, several cups each morning, with whipping cream and sweet n low, dunno if it's affecting anything yet, but I'll keep you posted.
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-01, 10:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default salt

salt doesnt seem to effect me..In fact I was using lots to RAISE my blood pressure. I switched tho and taking extra potassium now.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-01, 16:11
Registered Member

Plan: atkins hybrid
Stats: 159/128/125 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Re: A List of Foods Most Likely To Cause Stalls

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Marlaine
[B]I'd like to make a list of foods that are often the cause of a stall or that might make us lose more slowly. Please contribute to this list I'll compile the results and then post them for everyone to see. It's a list that I'd like to have because I think it would help me to remember which foods to avoid or eat with caution.

Peanut Butter -- even the natural kind
Pork Rinds -- no matter how many
Protein Bars of any description
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-01, 16:57

Stats: 230/215/198
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Not drinking enough water

I think that is the hardest thing for me to do....but I can definately tell when I haven't had enough water.....a tingling on top of my head along with a dull headache.....I can also tell by the scale as the pounds don't come off as fast....
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-01, 17:16

Plan: Dr Atkins/PP
Stats: 180/170/138 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 24%

I think what stalled me is Hazelnut, Almonds, and Beef Jerky and Steroid Cream.

I find myself knawing on beef jerky as my day get more stressful. Then I crave nuts, then I break into hives from the nuts ,then out comes the Steroid Cream and that's what makes me bloaty.

So I try to avoid things that make me allergic, dust, etc and then I don't have to use my Steroid Cream and I feel less bloaty. The bloat lasts for about 2-3 days.

I find that drinking an extra litre of water helps when you feel bloated and then the next day, you are not as bloaty.

I hope that makes sense.

It's been crazy at work. 2 days to my holidays....yaaaay

BTW, Happy Birthday Marlaine.
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 00:27

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Sarlye...

Thanks. It's been a good one!

Marlaine
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 03:35

Stats: 145/145/123
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Scared

Now I am very scared!!! This is my fourth day into induction and I haven't weighed myself yet but I eat lots of cheese. I mean what is there to nibble on during the day at work, or to snack on than a good slice of cheese with 0 carbs.
Should I be avoiding that? Should that cause a stall?

Another thing is that I don't have time for breakfast, so I skip it. Will that affect my weight loss?

Also I didn't know I could use sweet'n'low in my coffee during induction. Is that possible?

How much weight do you guys usually lose in the first two weeks of induction?
I am scared to get on the scales now and get disappointed
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 05:50

Stats: 173/148/150 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Foods that stall...

Most of the foods I found that stall me have have already been mentioned. Particularly bacon and cheese. One thing that has helped me greatly is not eating ANYTHING after 6pm. Watching TV in the evening and not eating something is a real challenge.

I also began using a product called "Nu Salt" instead of sodium. It is primarily potassium chloride and tastes pretty good. I love salty food and this product is the best substitute I have ever tried. Dan
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 07:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default hey Dan

I would love to try Nusalt but I have checked a few places up here and cant seem to find it. I find it interesting that U cant eat after 6 where as I almost always eat before bed. Thats why this wol is so personal I guess. I am hypoglycemic and if I eat something in the evening I sleep better and to be honest I think I lost faster.
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 07:58

Stats: 173/148/150 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default gwilson38...

I heard about "Nu-Salt" some time ago - right here on this website. I was unable to find it at the places we usually frequent.

I sent away to the manufacturer and received 3 3oz. shakers in the mail for less than $5.00. (with a coupon I found in a magazine)

I hope its OK to mention their name and address.

Cumberland Packing Corp.
Brooklyn, NY 11205

This company also is the maker of "SWEET N' LOW" brand sugar substitute. Good Luck and Merry Christmas. Dan
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 13:32

Stats: 230/185/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Talking

gwilson, I agree with you, we don't even think about dinner til 7pm but I must eat something before bed or else I'm starving and will wake in the middle of the night because I'm hungry. this was a problem even before I started low carbing. I generally have a cup of herb tea with sweet and low and a piece of string cheese. I keep meaning to try those recipes for low carb bread type things but I'm kind of afraid I'll be wasting my time. Who knows if I'll like them. As for the protein bars, They don't seem to have caused a stall, but I'm certainly not crazy about the flavor, therefore, I'll often have only a third of one, just because we've stopped for coffee and my husband is having a donut. Now adays though, i usually insist we stop at some fast food place where I can order a salad or even a hamburger without bread. My biggest stall so far was my french vanilla coffee creamer, but i switched to light or heavy cream and lost 3 pounds this week so I guess I unstalled.
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 23:53

BF:
Default Re: Scared

Quote:
Originally posted by Moraki
Now I am very scared!!! This is my fourth day into induction and I haven't weighed myself yet but I eat lots of cheese. I mean what is there to nibble on during the day at work

Hard Boiled Eggs
Cold Sliced Roast Beef
Tuna Salad with lots of mayo & a diced celery stick.
Slices of Dry Salami
Chunks of Roast Chicken Breast
Cubes of Diet Jello (made with extra gelatine so it almost rubbery)
...to name a few.

Quote:
Should I be avoiding that? Should that cause a stall?

It's not a case of 'should' it. Does it? It may or may not for you. If you are going along fine, don't worry about it. It takes time to fine tune you LC plan to suit your body.

Quote:
Another thing is that I don't have time for breakfast, so I skip it. Will that affect my weight loss?

You want to wake up your metabolism as early as possible after fasting overnight. The sooner you eat the sooner it gets going. Have break fast. Something...a hard boiled egg. I keep a few in the fridge all of the time. Quick easy snack.

Don't be scared. It's not productive. Just follow the plan to the best of your ability and if it's working for you, don't worry about it. If you aren't losing weight, that's the time to consider quitting or reducing some of these foods that can cause slowed weight loss.

Marlaine
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 23:56

BF:
Default Doing Great!

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisews
My biggest stall so far was my french vanilla coffee creamer, but i switched to light or heavy cream and lost 3 pounds this week so I guess I unstalled.

Great! You identified the problem, made the change and got the results you were hoping for. Looks to me like you are successfully working the program.

Marlaine