Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 14:58
Pending Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 219/169/140
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi,
I'm with you on that one. I wonder if there really are hidden carbs in the bars. If so, I need to know how to figure this out, as I have been eating up to two a day. I don't use them as meal replacement, but with coffee as a dessert of sorts. I need to know if I should cut them out, or at least cut way back. I also would have to wonder why Dr. Atkins would market something falsely, I just can't imagine that!!
Open to any reply's.
April
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 15:07

Plan: Sugar Busters
Stats: 205/180/175
BF:
Progress: 83%
Default Hi April

I guess it also brings up the question as to whether it's just Atkins bars, most low carb bars or all low carb bars. I know of at least 4 different brands out there.

Chris
  #93   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 15:17

Plan: Atkins mainly
Stats: 150/148/130
BF:
Progress: 10%

AND, what about the other Atkin's stuff...like the blueberry muffins or the pancakes...are they ALL full of hidden carbs?
  #94   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 15:22

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Thumbs up Muffins and such...

I eat the Atkins Blueberry Muffins and they cause me no problems...
...I also think they're yummy! I have a half a muffin with breakfast or as a dessert 2 or 3 times a week.

Getting back to the original thread...I also always have La Tortilla Factory Low Carb Tortillas on hand. I love the taste and the versatility!

Donald
  #95   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 15:27
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

How to find hidden carbs: use the hidden carb counter on this site, under low carb tools and plug in the information from the label of the food you want to consume. Another way to find them, but not as accuratly, is to estimate 4 calories for each gram of protein and carbohydrate, and 9 (I think) grams for every fat gram. So if the label says something is 200 calories and it has 10 grams of fat the remaining calories are 110. If it has 18 grams of protein, that becomes 72 calories. The remaining calories, if not fat or protein are 38, which works out to be 9.5 grams of carbs. Note: these are just rough estimates but you can see how it works. BTW: I just made up these numbers, I don't know if there is a real product out there with these numbers.

As for why Atkins markets things, I have a theory. Atkins probably isn't in control of the whole company anymore. He probably is only involved in part of it, and gives the marketing and new product lines to a different section leader, so to speak. According to some scientists, gylcerine and sugar alcohols are not used by the body in the same way that other carbohydrate are. In other words, they do not, or should not create an insulin spike. However, everyone is unique and individual. For many people with insulin sensitivity, anything resembling a carb (and those are carbs, no doubt about it) will cause the insulin to rise, and the body to react chemically as if real sugar had been eaten. This knocks some people out of ketosis, causing cravings in other people, and has no effect on some people.

Some people here, that claim that bars don't effect them, I've noticed don't eat a whole bar at a time, they divide it up and have less than a third of a bar at a time.

I had a few bars a week and noticed I didn't lose anything those weeks when I had consumed bars. Too many people say, "I'm doing everything right and I'm not losing weight." We ask questions and find out they are eating those bars. Sometimes as a meal replacement, and sometimes as a snack. Experience has taught me and others that something that sounds that good, is too good to be true. Soon the label laws will change and the gylcerine and sugar alcohols used will be on the label for all to see.

Atkins probably sees it as the lesser of two evils. He's using the money from the bars and foods to fund what he's been asking for for a long time, a legitimate research project to prove the benefits of low carbing. (This is a guess, but I know he wants to.)

Hope this helps.

Beth
  #96   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 15:37

Plan: Atkins mainly
Stats: 150/148/130
BF:
Progress: 10%

Thanks Beth for the response...you made some good points. And sorry guys for getting this thread on a whole different path from the original subject... But I would still like to hear other people's views on the Atkins subject too, if you have any...
  #97   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 18:29

Stats: 240/220/160
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Atkins Advantage bars

You all are absolutely full of information and are intertaining at the same time. Thank you for your input on the bars. I am probably not going to give them up because it really takes the sweet tooth pains away and it seems to be ok in my weight loss. Anyway, if anyone else has anything to say on the subject I would appreciate your feedback.

It's working!
  #98   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 20:04

Plan: Sugar Busters
Stats: 205/180/175
BF:
Progress: 83%

Just for the heck of it, I read the Nutrition Labeling and Education Act of 1990 (NLEA) which is nicely summarized here. <- click on the word "here"

The way I read it, if they are claiming that these bars are low carbohydrate, then they are required by the Act to list "Other" carbohydrates, just as I've noticed the claimed "Sugar Free" foods always list the Sugar Alcohols if they are used.

Anyway, since we were talking about what's in the fridge and most things get there through a trip to the store with all of the semi-informative and somewhat misguided (nutrition information is supposed to be listed in order of priority for health concerns, yet we see where carbs end up!) labels. I thought this info and link might be at least somewhat relative to the topic at hand.

Perhaps, when we are armed with this knowledge of the law, some of these food manufaturers can be pressured into "coming clean" about the nutritional value of thier products. I know they just love the archaic FDA guidlines that place so much emphasis on fat content and tend to gloss over carbs and sugars. (bottom of the list!) They can pump thier food full of good tasting and addictive sugar and tell us it's good for us because it's "Fat Free" or "Low Fat". grrrr...

Chris
  #99   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 21:34

Plan: SUGAR BUSTERS!
Stats: 198/155/130
BF:
Progress: 63%
Thumbs up great digitalq!!!!!

it is great that you explain the thing about fructose and lactose(healthy sugars)...that why I use in conjuction w/ the sugar busters! book and pocket book, the glycemic index book(you can find it at Borders) it is also a great way to read and understand label
  #100   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 04:05

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%

ahemm ....a two litre bottle of cream
cream cheese
frozen berries
bacon on a more regular basis
celery, never liked it much before the acceptance of stuffing it with cream cheese.

Everything else was already there but i wasnt 'allowed' to eat it :rolleyes eg; the butter and the cheese :
  #101   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 15:06

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 269/176/165 Male 68"
BF:55+%/23%/15%
Progress: 89%
Talking I laugh at you all!!! HA! HA!

Me Neanderthin...Me no have fridge...unless you call glacier next to cave fridge! In that are beasts of many kinds...mammoth, deer, bear, rabbit, bird, nuts, seeds, ground sloth, berries, fruit, leaves of some plants, and frozen fishies from the streams and rivers of homeland!

As far as Dr. A and his "attack..." Come on, YOU People! Where is your faith?!! The good Dr. had a bad viral attack a while back that attacked his heart. If it wasn't for his diet, he would probabaly be dead!

Now, me go back to hunting big furry beasts in peat bog with sharp pointy stick! UGH! To carb counting! Me no count! Me don't know how! Neanderthins don't count nothin! We just lose weight and get healthy!!! HA! HA! UGH!
  #102   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 15:46

Plan: Eat Food
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Me have Fridge!

Me have fridge, haf tu in sunny CA!!!!!!

Celery
All kinds of lettuces (chiefly romaine and butter)
Tomatoes
Cauliflower
Brocolli
Green Onions

All different kinds of thick, gloppy salad dressings, organic, but of course

Ahi Tuna
Salmon
Red Trout
Chicken Legs and Thighs
Whole Chicken
Lamb Chops
Every kind of steak you can think of
Hamburger

Eggs
Butter

WATER, WATER, WATER

Me almost Neanderthin, got tu haf my dressing!
(Can't beat on chest, two massive mounds of flesh in the way!!)
  #103   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 16:30

Cool You have some excuse

You sound female, Hah! Me have no excuse...me have hard time beating chest, too. It make loud floppy sound when me hit it! Me have two massive mounds of flesh in way, too, but me not female! Soon, that go!
  #104   ^
Old Thu, May-02-02, 08:14
Registered Member

Stats: 265/210/205
BF:
Progress: 92%

I wasn't saying that I thought the Doctor did have a heart attack but rather what I meant was that everyone is out for protecting their a$$ and even if it was a heart attack they would spin it so that it wasn't diet related

and it's going to be another thing to defend with all these people who slam the diet anyway. they're going to hear what they want and explaining the difference in cardiac arrest vs a heart attack to them will be an impossible task

am i talking in circles?? maybe I shouldn't of had that atkins chocolate for breakfast
  #105   ^
Old Thu, May-02-02, 10:00

Talking You're Okay!

BostonLou! You are okay! Don't worry about what others say about the diet. Most of the people who will be the naysayers would never try it, anyway. They just want to talk bad about it because they don't happen to agree with it. That's the way some people are. That's why there are so many points of view in politics. Everybody looks at things differently...even us. That's why I'm on Neanderthin, and most of us are on Atkins, and some of us are on the various other LC programs. Even WE don't agree with everything that the other people are doing. What really counts is what you feel like INSIDE on this program and how committed you are to your own health.