Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Sep-28-05, 16:51
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

zajack,
The problem is that a lot people really are only interested in weight loss. Ironically, this is the reason a lot of us need to lose weight to begin with - because we are totally unconcerned with our health and what we're eating. Of course, few will admit this, it's quite the faux pas to admit you are dieting exclusively for looks. Still, it's often the truth. IMO I think that's a big reason most people eventually go back to the way they ate before... looks and size usually isn't a big enough incentive to stick to restricted eating for life.
It doesn't occur to think about diet in the persepctive of health, because honestly, if they weren't fat they would go back to their old eating (even if their health were exactly the same fat or thin). So their kids here "mommy is too fat" and "I can't eat that cause I'm fat" and they pick it up.

When I started this I was only concerned with losing weight. But you know now that I see how much better I feel and how my blood work has improved, I do it for health too and try to eat healthier. I mean that genuinely. I know I could maintain my weight eating anything I want, but the other benefits make low carb a no brainer. I feel better emotionally, physically, and my health is better.
The only way I would go back to eating the way I ate was if I could keep all the benefits (not just weight... because I could keep that).
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Sep-28-05, 16:56
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxgluvs
Hiya, I agree. I never use the fat word around my three year old twins, I don't think it's productive or helpful. I remember feeling terrible once when a friend reffered to her son and fatty....I thought why the heck put that thought into his tiny mind?? I told her off at the time and vowed that when I had kids they would never hear that from me, even if they did grow up to be a little bit rounder than the norm. The thing is, we can so easily create problems with our children with thoughtless comments.
My girls are educated in eating nice healthy foods, they get sweets or chocolate on special occasions or if we are in an environment where other kids are eating that kind of thing, which happens to be less than once per week. I think sweets should be an occasional thing and not like some folk use them as a bribe every day or a reward for good behaviour 3 or 4 times a day like my friend uses them.
Good post and you made some very valid points.

What really gets me is when a fat mom calls their overweight child those names. Hello! First of all it's never helpful to verbally abuse someone to get them to do something food for them, least of all a child who does not yet have the logical capacity to make decisions for himself. Second of all, if your child is overweight, and YOU are overweight, odds are the foods you yourself are eating, and feeding your own child are the reason he's fat. Meaning, don't call HIM fatty... look in the mirror and call YOURSELF a negligent mother. Your poor eating habits and neglectful diet is the reason you both have weight problems.

I've a cousin like that, she is obviously carb sensitive and so is her young son, she always is down on him about his weight but she NEVER helps him. All she lets him eat is fruit and starch (shes convinced he's allergic to everything else, and the few "good" food she will let him eat, like veggies and salads, she doesn't buy). He's too little to do anything about it on his own. He can't buy his own food, or really educate himself on how to eat. She put him on a diet once, and he was losing weight, but he wanted so badly to please her and lose weight that he started under eating and as a result he fainted one day. She got scared and of course took him off the diet, but you know, the diet wasn't the problem. The problem was her son felt so bad about himself because of the names she calls him that he resorted to under eating to lose weight faster.

It just makes me so upset to think about it.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Sep-28-05, 17:04
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsheets

I have to say I'm the same. My mum kept me away from processed foods and other junk and when I began feeding myself, it was all those 'treats' I went for. Like I'd been deprived.

I really don't know what I'd do with my own kids, I hope to keep them away for chocolate bars and things but don't want them to end up like me - seeing all my friends eating that stuff and wondering why I was stuck with a yoghurt (and no spoon bc I always lost them lol). I was told they were treats .. so why shouldn't I be treated as much as everyone else? I behaved, mostly lol.

e

P.S. My mum's happy I've now made the backflip and go for proper foods over takeaways and soft drinks.

It really depends on how "bad food restriction" was presented to you as a child.

If your mom just made you feel like you didn't deserve it, or you couldn't afford it... or in other words, you SHOULD eat this thing if only you could get it... obviously that kid is going to have a major deprivation complex and will pig out on junkfood as soon as they can afford to. In my family that's how it was. Health was never a major issue, but my mom made sure to let us know that she couldn't afford all the treats we wanted. Everything was split up in 4 ways. Everything had to be rationed and divided. IMO, this was more about her own food issues than expense, since my dad spent luxury money often. My mom grew up in a food deprived house and that "hording" instinct never shook. I remember going over friends houses who had free access to junk and I couldn't understand how they didn't feel compelled to eat it all .

I do think I always had a bit of a problem with carbs... but really, the pigging out I did as an older kid and teen was like the nail in the coffin and is what aged my metabolism before its time.

If kids are told they can have as much junk as they want, but instead given instructions on how to make good choices and why they should make them... it's far more likely they'll eat healthfully and normally even as an adult.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-05, 11:32
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 315/274/175 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

this happened to me. growing up, i was always told that i was fat, needed to diet, excercise, etc. i did the "hording" thing too, as i know my mother did when she was younger (and my sister and my cousin). when i met my husband i felt accepted and free and i just relaxed, ate, and gained over 100 pounds.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-05, 09:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 221.5/185.2/155 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 55%

I teach three year olds and the other day at lunch a little boy looked down at his macaroni and cheese and said "My Mom doesn't like macaroni." I asked him why and he said "Because it's fattening." Now I'm sure that little boy has no idea what "fattening" even means.

It seems kids are being exposed to so many things earlier and earlier these days and the heated topic of food/diet is no exception. I can't even tell you how many four and five year olds that I've heard pronounce that they're "fat" and need to go "on a diet." It's maddening.