Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-14-05, 11:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 148/108/108 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default The Biggest Loser

The other thread about Kristi made me think of this. I started watching recently. Pretty good show. What I not sure of, is what kind of diet. There is a link to join up to this diet. Anyone know?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-14-05, 11:11
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Don't know about the diet. I did watch part of the opening thing.

Only thing I have to say is it is totally unfair to pit the men against the women. Women lose weight a lot slower than men do.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-14-05, 11:20
7 yrs and counting!

Plan: Vegan/Crossfit
Stats: 285/212/199 Female 5'7
BF:33.4%
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Don't know about the diet. I did watch part of the opening thing.

Only thing I have to say is it is totally unfair to pit the men against the women. Women lose weight a lot slower than men do.

I did watch last night, and they aren't going by the actual number of pounds..but by the percentage of weight loss from the total weight....so it's actually even..and although the men lost like 50 pounds more last night..the girls won!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-14-05, 11:52
Registered Member

Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelratz
The other thread about Kristi made me think of this. I started watching recently. Pretty good show. What I not sure of, is what kind of diet. There is a link to join up to this diet. Anyone know?

I watched the last season. I believe the diet was a combination of low-fat eating and portion control. It wasn't the diet that caused massive weight loss as much as controlling impulse eating and exercising constantly. A lot of calorie counting as well. But definitely not low carb or Atkins dogma.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-14-05, 11:54

Plan: My Own
Stats: 285/268/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 11%

This is what the website says about the The Biggest Loser diet: The Biggest Loser Diet is a calorie-controlled, carbohydrate-modified, fat-reduced diet geared to help you burn pound after pound of pure fat-and do so without deprivation or loss of energy. The diet is high in lean protein, which has a hunger-controlling effect on the body, and offers a variety of fresh and minimally processed foods.

You have to pay to join the diet website.

If you're watching the show, there's a thre ad going on this in the "Everything Else" section of this forum.

See you there!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-14-05, 11:54
Experimenter

BF:

I don't see how that changes anything. Men lose weight faster. They will lose the larger percentage much faster than the women will. Also, the fatter you are, the faster it comes off.

If you have a man and a woman, man weights 300 pounds, woman weights 250. Man loses 5 pounds a week, woman loses 2 pounds a week. In 10 weeks the man will have lost 7% of his weight, the woman 6%.

Here's what someone else remarked about it:

Quote:
Using the body fat percentage as part of the final judging was an unfair sex-bias and heavily favors men. It should not have been used as a component between men & women. Testosterone is the primary muscle building hormone -- higher levels of testosterone in the blood stream lead to bigger muscles / lower body fat. That's why athletes take hormones to build muscle. There is no way a woman will ever win that battle....look at how much Andrea lost & still lost. NBC is UNFAIR!

Last edited by Nancy LC : Wed, Sep-14-05 at 12:09.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-14-05, 12:02
feels like today

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 203.5/187.5/145 Female 5ft. 1in.
BF:
Progress: 27%

It is a % of total weight for the whole team at the start of the show and total weight lost that week for the team. Even though the men lost about 50 more pounds than the women last night, the women won because of the percentages.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-14-05, 12:05
Experimenter

BF:

Right, but I still don't see how that helps the women. If you start out fatter, you're going to lose faster. The men are fatter. If you're male you lose weight faster. It doesn't matter if it is percentages, their percentage will almost certainly be larger because of those two factors.

My prediction is a man will win the contest and the men's team will win. Unless something manages to derail them, that's just mother-nature at work.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-14-05, 12:18

Plan: A lifestyle change
Stats: 270/248/186 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%

The diet from last season is on my fridge because I keep thinking I might try it, this is the red teams diet, I do not know what the blue team did:

Eat three meals a day with one snack.
• Eat every four hours.
• High protein, low to moderate fat intake, no simple carbs, low complex carbs.
• Sodium isn't a big deal, but it will make you hold water temporarily so don't freak if you are up a pound after sushi with soy sauce.
• Always try to have protein with your carbs – never eat carbs alone.
• DRINK WATER – 100oz minimum!
• 2 cups of coffee per day, but for every cup drink another 8oz of water.
• Tea (especially green tea) is okay but not a water substitute.
• Supplements:
• Multi Vitamin; Fish Oil; Minerals; Fiber and Chitosan.
• Take vitamins in morning after workout
• Take 1/2 hour before dinner with 10 oz of water minimum
NO Foods: Alcohol Sugar Rice Flour – very limited quantities Bread – very limited quantities Juice Potato Pasta Soda's - unless they are diet Tropical Fruit Bananas Melon Coconut Mango
YES Foods: Chicken Fish Beef All Seafood Fats are okay Great Fats are avocado, nuts and salmon (in limited portions) Dairy is fine – low fat or non fat Green Veggies – unlimited Fruit only before 5:00pm - Apples, grapefruits and berries Soy – for vegetarians

You must consume 100 grams of protein daily = 400 calories
(protein is 4 calories per gram)
You should consume 80 grams of complex carbohydrate daily
320 calories (carbohydrate is 4 calories per gram)
You should not consume over 40 grams of fats – 360 calories
(fat is 9 calories per gram)
Calorie Counting is part of the diet. You will vary your caloric intake on a daily basis as follows:
Monday 1300 Calories
Tuesday 1100 Calories
Wednesday 1300 Calories
Thursday 1200 Calories
Friday 1300 Calories
Saturday 1300 Calories
Sunday 1500 Calories

If anyone wants the workout schedule the red team followed last season, I have that too. I know, I'm a dork.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-14-05, 12:26

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

They also seem to work on the psychological aspects of why they are overweight. Personally, I think this can be a key aspect of success. I know the first time I did Atkins, even though I had never really been fat until 7 years ago after my last child was born, it took me almost 4 years to start doing anything about it. When I started doing Atkins, the weight just melted and there was a point when I got scared. Not sure why. Anyway, when I regained a lot of it this past year, I think it was also psychological.

Anyway...I love that show

L
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-14-05, 12:43
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I don't see how that changes anything. Men lose weight faster. They will lose the larger percentage much faster than the women will. Also, the fatter you are, the faster it comes off.
:

In general men would lose more weight because in general men have more muscle than women. That allows them to exercise harder and burn more calories per day. So I agree the show gives men an advantage. But it could be argued that the muscle isn't going anywhere so they can't lose as much weight as a woman. It would be more fair if they measured body fat instead of body weight. I think they did that for the first show last season but not every week.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Sep-14-05, 13:03
Experimenter

BF:

No, it still wouldn't be fair. Men have a MUCH easier time losing fat than women. There really isn't any fair way to compare male fat/weight loss with women. They should have two winners, one male and one female.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-05, 10:16

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I checked out the website during the first season and it does list the diet plan that each team was eating. I believe that one was fairly low carb and the other was low fat (can't remember which was which, tho).

It seemed to me that the men were all much higher weights than the women so wouldn't that affect the percentages? For example, if a man weighs 400 pounds and lost 20 pounds, that would be 5%, right? If a woman weighs 200 pounds and loses 10 pounds, that would be 5% as well. So, I think it sounds pretty even. I know at first when I heard it was men against women I was freaking that it wasn't fair, etc, until I heard the percentage method. I still think the men have an advantage, what with our hormonal roller coaster AND it really is harder to lose weight the less you have to lose, as we all know. A 400-pound man might have 200 pounds to lose but a 200 pound woman might "only" have 60-70 pounds to lose.

Men might have a metabolic advantage but it does also come down to determination and the effort that they put into the process. I'm thinking some of the men just might put too much faith in their advantage and not work out as hard or eat more than they should?? Remember the big black guy on last season (sorry, can't remember his name - Mo or something??). Everybody thought he would lose huge amounts the whole time but he didn't.

Guess we'll have to watch and see...
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-05, 11:20
Registered Member

BF:

Nobody can assess motivation and that's what actually wins the contest, regardless of sex. The winner didn't give in to aches and pains. He was motivated to ignore all that and persevere. I was worried the obnoxious guy would win and don't want to go through that again so I won't be watching this year's contest. The other reason I watched was seeing the heavy women turn into babes.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Sep-28-05, 14:22

Plan: Mayo Clinic
Stats: 0/195/0 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

kainiki- nevermind, if anyone saw this. I found it somewhere else on here.

Last edited by nicoleskr : Wed, Sep-28-05 at 14:31.