Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-09-05, 14:16
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Daily stress may stop breast cancer: study

Ugh... guess I need to find a more stressful job

Daily Stress Prevents Breast Cancer

Thu Sep 8, 8:54 PM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - Women with high levels of stress in their everyday lives are at less risk than others of developing breast cancer for the first time, according to research in the British Medical Journal published on Friday.
ADVERTISEMENT
[0]

Scientists from Denmark drew their conclusions after studying 6,689 women over a period of 18 years, and speculated that it may be because daily stress suppressed production of oestrogen, which is a risk factor in breast cancer.

"Prolonged-low key stress of everyday life results in a persistent activation of stress hormones which may impair oestrogen synthesis and may therefore be related to lower risk of breast cancer," they wrote.

However, they pointed out that this theory was untested and deserved greater investigation.

Not only did the researchers from the National Institute of Public Health in Copenhagen find a lower incidence of primary breast cancer among stressed women, they found that the higher the day-to-day stress levels the lower the risk.

However, they warned that stress was not a health cure, given that high levels had also been associated with increased risk of potential killers like heart disease.

They also noted that their findings were at odds with studies in Finland and Sweden -- the former found no link between daily stress and breast cancer while the latter found a direct association with higher risk.

They said that part of the reason for the apparent discrepancy might be that their study only looked at first-time incidence of breast cancer while the others looked at all cases.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-09-05, 14:54

Plan: Atkins-like
Stats: 215/170/170 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 100%

Of the multitude of things that deserve greater investigation, I don't think this ranks high.

However, I will not be telling my lovely wife (with the stressful job) of this result, as I have made it one of my duties to give her regular breast exams. Hehe.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-10-05, 10:31
OOOOOOOOOH YEAH!

Plan: High Fat/IF
Stats: 215/170/160 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:27%/12%/8%
Progress: 82%

Ah, don't you love epidemiology?

You have a computer program with huge numbers of questionable data.

You manipulate those numbers.

You analyze the «results» and you come up with any type of association you like.

You imply that this association is causally implicated in the disease process in question.

You get funding for your results, which never involved any lab work.