Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-05, 15:05

Plan: My own+BFL
Stats: 295/192/170 Female 5'4
BF:46.3/33/25
Progress: 82%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha22
I hate to be the jerk here....but i really must leave atleast a few sentences here....i hope that they aren't taken the wrong way...

This is not the first time i have read a post similar to this posted by anna....
What you are asking for...is encouragment to lose weight that you're trying to lose in an unhealthy manner....and to me it seems as though you're reaching out for someone to almost tell you that it's OKAY to eat this way. You're reason for "trying" atkins, and a fast....aren't exactly positive reasons. If you really want to lose this weight..then you need to chose a positive approach. Otherwise...i really doubt that you're going to continue to get advice on how to continue on with this ED..
You've gotten the same responses....in numerous posts...."seek therapy"...."you're a good weight already"...just to name a few....
If you're not willing to make a change and deal with this ED within you...then you're probably not going to see results with any "diet"....or with any encouragment you get.
I wish you luck.

You aren't being a jerk- it's the same things a lot of people want to say. You (meaning anna) seem to want justification for things and are always looking for the "easy way". I'm sorry but there is no easy way. You are at a good weight for your body and your body doesn't want any part of losing anymore. I used to have quite a few ED's (still do) so I'm coming from your "side", but I'm telling you, the tough love helped me the most when I needed help.

Fix the eating disorder, work on getting healthy, then see where you are. Learn to love your body the way it is, not keep coming on here over and over trying this or that or the other thing and then getting mad when people try to advise you differently than what you want to hear. You've called me a "silly cow" and whatever else before because you didn't like my answer to your questions, but I don't care. You need help. I'm sorry, but I have never and never will tell someone with an ED to go on the m and e fast. You seem to want people to tell you it's a good idea. Well I don't think it is, and I won't tell you that it is, either.

if you can't get help, please stop berating others for trying to help you. We are trying to HELP YOU get healthy.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-05, 15:08

Plan: My own+BFL
Stats: 295/192/170 Female 5'4
BF:46.3/33/25
Progress: 82%

Quote:
Originally Posted by femmeisa
with all the negative talk about M/E i just wanted to mention that the '72 version of Atkins was much more restrictive with carbohydrates and he mentioned that some people's insulin metabolism is so messed up that they need to eat virtually NO carbs to lose weight. It's curious why there seems to be so much negative reaction to it...

I have no problem with m and e itself. It is a useful tool IMHO. Should someone who has a self-confessed eating disorder go on it? I don't believe so.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-05, 16:06

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by femmeisa
with all the negative talk about M/E i just wanted to mention that the '72 version of Atkins was much more restrictive with carbohydrates and he mentioned that some people's insulin metabolism is so messed up that they need to eat virtually NO carbs to lose weight. It's curious why there seems to be so much negative reaction to it...

While it's true that the earliest version of Atkins was quite a bit more restrictive than Dr. Atkins' later editions, he had his reasons for making the changes that he did; primarily that he found after 20 years of observation that weight loss was no better on 5 grams of carb than it was on 20 and he felt that the vitamins, minerals and other phytonutrients (antioxidants) in the veggies were too beneficial to be sacrificed in that light and I happen to agree.
I would also second the comment that someone with an eating disorder or even recovering from an eating disorder should not be even thinking about trying something that extreme (fat fast, either, thank you) and that they would be better served dealing with that issue first rather than perpetuating it with various fasts and extreme dieting.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-05, 16:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 254/215/150 Female 64"
BF:C198/T126/H53/L120
Progress: 38%

Anna, Ive just read these posts, and I gotta say, Im really really worried about you. Im no therapist, but girl, you seem to be equating your personal value to society on an ability to lose weight-which you probably dont need to. I think youre very pretty, a healthy weight for your height, and definately heading towards greater problems if you dont learn to love yourself for who you are.

Talk to some one about this, who knows you and you trust. Read some books on the topic, see the forest for the trees. Barring that, Seek help, real professional help. Youre not doing this for healthy reasons....and we want to see you healthy!!!