Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-05, 15:48
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom sawyer
The residents of senior homes are mostly women, Wa'il. Who happen to be smaller than men on average. And there are most likely proportionately fewer obese residents. It is somewhat less related to height, than to weight.
There are so many physiological differences between the genders, I don't think the difference in life expectancy can be attributed to the difference in weight with any certainty.

Wyv
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-05, 20:17
Registered Member

Plan: Neandrathin
Stats: 220/220/190 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
The joints and connective tissue will be under strain from the extra mass, even if the mass if mostly muscle.

That is a fallacy. Muscle by design is more supportive of itself than fat.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-05, 16:53

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

The cause of death was determined
Quote:
Niners OL died of heart disease

Denver, CO (Sports Network) - San Francisco 49ers offensive lineman Thomas Herrion died of ischemic heart disease, according to autopsy reports.

Herrion collapsed in the locker room after an August 20 preseason game against the Denver Broncos and died early the next morning.

The Denver Office of the Medical Examiner released a statement Tuesday after completing an autopsy and said that Herrion had significant blockage of his right coronary artery.

"This blockage had caused death of heart muscle, indicated by healing and scarring," the release stated. "His heart was slightly enlarged."

The release added that a drug screen confirmed only atropine in the blood, which was given during resuscitative efforts.

After Herrion's collapse, emergency workers performed CPR and he was taken to St. Anthony's Central Hospital in Denver. He died a short time later.

The 6-foot-3, 320-pound Fort Worth, Texas native was on the field during the 49ers' marathon 14-play, 91-yard march that resulted in Cody Pickett's late touchdown that completed the scoring at 26-21.

Herrion spent parts of last season on practice squads with San Francisco and Dallas. He played in NFL Europe this year with the Hamburg Sea Devils.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/defaul.../ABN3978363.htm
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-05, 17:00

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury
That is a fallacy. Muscle by design is more supportive of itself than fat.

The muscle is more self-supporting of itself than fat, but joints and connective tissue are not comprised of muscle. It's no secret that heavier weights, whether that weight be from fat and muscle, cause greater strain, wear and tear on the joints and connective tissues of the feet, legs and back.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-05, 18:26
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Thanks for the update Dodger, although I'm sad that such a young athletic person would have a blocked artery.

Thanks every one of you for the responses, I enjoyed reading your opinions and seeing where the tangents went.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-05, 22:18

Plan: No grains, no sugar.
Stats: 001/045/525 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
Denver, CO (Sports Network) - San Francisco 49ers offensive lineman Thomas Herrion died of ischemic heart disease, according to autopsy reports.

Herrion collapsed in the locker room after an August 20 preseason game against the Denver Broncos and died early the next morning.

The Denver Office of the Medical Examiner released a statement Tuesday after completing an autopsy and said that Herrion had significant blockage of his right coronary artery.

"This blockage had caused death of heart muscle, indicated by healing and scarring," the release stated. "His heart was slightly enlarged."

The release added that a drug screen confirmed only atropine in the blood, which was given during resuscitative efforts.

After Herrion's collapse, emergency workers performed CPR and he was taken to St. Anthony's Central Hospital in Denver. He died a short time later.

The 6-foot-3, 320-pound Fort Worth, Texas native was on the field during the 49ers' marathon 14-play, 91-yard march that resulted in Cody Pickett's late touchdown that completed the scoring at 26-21.

Herrion spent parts of last season on practice squads with San Francisco and Dallas. He played in NFL Europe this year with the Hamburg Sea Devils.

Unfortunately, it doesn't answer any questions. We can now, it appears, rule out any Len Bias-type thing, and I myself was thinking it might come from insulin abuse -- I know at one point strength athletes were using insulin as part of their stacks to speed muscle growth, and they might still be doing it. But having a slightly enlarged heart is common among athletes, and the source of the blockage that killed him isn't known. And again, if it was weighing 300 pounds that killed him so young, you'd be seeing it happen a lot more often, especially among the ranks of football players, college and pro. Was there a history of heart disease in his family? We don't know. Had he used performance enhancing drugs in the past? We don't know. There are somewhere near 10,000 young men about Herrion's age playing football, college and pro right now in this country; one of them dies of a heart attack, and the instant conclusion is it was because of his weight.

I know someone who nearly died of a heart attack at 30; they were slender and exercised regularly. That must have been an anomaly. A fat guy dies young of a heart attack, and it's automatically assumed to be because of his weight. The standards should be a little higher than that.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-05, 06:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

One of my hubby's co-workers passed away a few weeks ago. He was 35 and had a wife and four kids. He had a heart attack. This guy was very fit, not an ounce overweight, and appeared to be in excellent health. What a shock it was. Just goes to show, you never know.

L
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-05, 08:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/214/140 Female 5' 8"
BF:Heh. You're funny.
Progress: 18%

This reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw once:

"Eat right, exercise daily, and die anyway."
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-05, 10:19

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Some extracts from another article on the death.
Quote:
It was not known which cardiology tests Herrion underwent when he joined the 49ers' practice squad in December. Rich Dalrymple, a spokesman for the Dallas Cowboys, who had Herrion on their practice squad last year, said standard NFL tests include an EKG, a blood test for cholesterol and a chest X-ray.

"If a player requested it, I'm sure he'd be given a treadmill test as well,'' Dalrymple said.

The 49ers have said Herrion passed every test he was given.

"Professional teams do target coronary disease,'' said Dr. Barry Maron, a nationally known expert at the Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation on cardiac-related sudden death in athletes. "Even though it's a young-patient population, they do a considerable amount of that kind of testing.''

Quote:
Herrion's mother, Janice, has been treated for high blood pressure, and his father, J.C. Herrion, a pastor, died in 2004 at age 52 from a stroke complicated by diabetes.

Herrion was listed at 6-foot-3 and 310 pounds, but Martin said that he weighed about 335 at the time of his death.

"People who are significantly overweight typically have a high-cholesterol pattern or high blood pressure or a tendency toward diabetes,'' Van Camp said. "Should every professional athlete be screened for coronary risk factors? I would say yes, because there's no reason not to."

Quote:
Martin said the autopsy also revealed scar tissue from an event of "a week or so'' before Herrion's death in which blood was restricted to his heart, but Herrion probably didn't even realize it.

"Whether he was aware of that was not clear,'' Martin said. "There are a lot of instances where people have heart attacks and are not aware of them, especially when your job requires you to do things that require you to get hurt. He may not have thought much about it."

All quotes from http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c.../07/HERRION.TMP
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-05, 10:36

Plan: Atkins-like
Stats: 215/170/170 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 100%

Poor fellow. I guess it was just his time.

Kwikdriver, I agree with your point about linking the death with weight issues. I guess our perspective may be a bit myopic in a diet-oriented forum.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-05, 12:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/200/170 Male 68 in
BF:
Progress: 57%

From http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/merc...rs/12575281.htm

"The Denver Office of the Medical Examiner found that Herrion, 23, had ischemic heart disease, which led to a significant blockage of his right coronary artery."
And
``But based on what we know so far, this may be a case of an unfortunate hereditary condition that is not easily detected even by the regular and thorough cardiac screening used by NFL clubs,'' Aiello said. ``Unfortunately, even young people can be struck without warning by a heart attack.''
But...
"A 1994 mortality study of NFL players cited by ESPN's ``Outside the Lines'' program reported that linemen were at 50 percent greater risk of cardiovascular disease than the general population. The biggest players had six times the risk of cardiac death."
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-05, 16:38

Plan: No grains, no sugar.
Stats: 001/045/525 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa
From [url]"A 1994 mortality study of NFL players cited by ESPN's ``Outside the Lines'' program reported that linemen were at 50 percent greater risk of cardiovascular disease than the general population. The biggest players had six times the risk of cardiac death."

That was far down the road, however, long after their playing careers were over. I have no doubt that there's a correlation between size and heart disease (notice I'm not saying the extra weight itself causes the heart disease). But what I don't believe is that extra weight, at someone like Herrion's age and conditioning, would cause a heart attack. In normal people it takes decades for the process of heart disease to become life threatening. If it happened to Herrion at 23, something else was going on. And it sure would have been nice of the initial media reports hadn't immediately fixated on his weight as a cause.