Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-06, 08:24
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Journaling on The South Beach Diet

This Daily Dish is part of a weekly series to get you started using The South Beach Diet™ Online site. Find out how all the great features and exclusive benefits enjoyed by South Beach Diet™ Online subscribers will help you reach your lifestyle goals!

The National Weight Control Registry, a well-regarded, long-term weight-loss study, has found that journaling is one of the most powerful tools used by people who have lost weight and kept it off for the long haul. Tap into this helpful resource and start your own journal by visiting the Journal section of The South Beach Diet™ Online.

Use the Journal to jot down your thoughts and feelings, sort through challenges you've faced, and record your successes. Keeping track of your daily progress can help you identify potential weak spots, as well as figure out strategies to overcome them. You can decide whether to keep your entries private or share them with other South Beach Dieters to compare your experiences. You can also read the journals of other members (who have made them public) to understand their challenges, rewards, and experiences. Finally, use the Journal as a food diary by listing everything you eat in a day. Again, you'll learn a lot about your eating habits, and having a record of your food choices will be helpful if your weight loss stalls and you want to consult one of our nutritionists for advice.

I used my journal to log my food.....BIG HELP!!!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-06, 14:58

Plan: low cal, 35 gr carb a day
Stats: 174.7/160.1/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Hi, first i must tell you I come to this thread often to answer all my newbie questions by reading your posts, but i have a question, I also posted a new thread.

I was re-reading the book, and I was wondering if perhaps I missed that exactly...does anyone know what the carb/fat/protein ratio per day should be? I follow Phase 1- How To Adapt Your Meal Plan guidelines, and only eat the allowed carbs,
For those who have success on SB, can you tell me what your ratio was?

Many thanks in advance!
  #63   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 08:22

Plan: low cal, 35 gr carb a day
Stats: 174.7/160.1/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 37%

just a bump, great thread.
  #64   ^
Old Sat, Jan-21-06, 10:03
Attitude is a Choice

Default Love Your Food!!

I've just realized that this is a piece of my story that I have not really stressed. Liking the food we eat is a big apsect of making this a way of life and not just another diet.

This is why I plan to eat certain foods as treats so that I do not feel deprived in the long run. ie: dreamfields pasta once every 2 weeks, going out for thin crust pizza once a month.

On a day to day basis, I really love all the foods that I chose to eat. When I first learned that hummus was an allowed food, I thought that I'd died and gone to heaven. Each night, my sugar free fusdgicles put a big smile on my face. I adore my salads!! Olives, avocado, asst delish veggies, fresh made dressing ...it doesn't get much better for me.

I love having a rare steak once a week. I love sauteeing my veggies and making them to suit my tastes with spices. I learned to make different marinades that I use on my 2 lbs of chicken breasts each week.

Its vitally important that we each find the foods that make this more than bearable and more a love affair with our food.
  #65   ^
Old Sat, Jan-21-06, 12:26

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 158/151/140 Female 61.5
BF:
Progress: 39%

Hi

Thanks you so much for this very helpful thread. I'm not a new beacher,but this thread helped me recapped what I haved learned reading the book.

Hugs CAG

Last edited by cagmom : Sat, Jan-21-06 at 12:36.
  #66   ^
Old Sat, Jan-21-06, 15:00
Attitude is a Choice

I'm glad to know that this is helping you CAG!!

I want to talk a bit about portion control and eating until the full feeling.

I am and was a big eater. When I first started this journey, I'd make huge salads with very large amounts of protein and veggies as I was very afraid of being hungry. I ate until I was stuffed!! I did not realize at that point, that snacks are an integral part of this plan.

Once I started eating my snacks in accordance with the guidelines of this plan, my appetite at my meals was greatly reduced. I realized that I'd always thought that dieting meant that I was supposed to be hungry and that is why I was never successful before. Finding out that I should eat if I am hungry was a totally new concept for me.

So I began to start to feel for the "full feeling" as I ate my meals. I ate slower waiting for the feeling to occur. When I first started to have an awareness of being full, I would put away the rest of the food. I had always eaten all the food ...until it was all gone....as I had been taught as child.

My fridge became filled with all kinds of leftovers that I'd eat the next day in one of my meals. Learning to feel for the full feeling has taught me that I can eat much smaller amounts of food and feel satisfied.

When I prepare my meals now, I always make a large portion of veggies and weigh my protein to keep it portion controlled. I also weigh cheese as I do limit my cheese to a couple of ounces per day. Nuts are also portion controlled as they are calorie dense. Please pay attention to the portion amounts on the food lists as they are key in making this work for you.
  #67   ^
Old Sat, Jan-21-06, 15:10
Attitude is a Choice

Default Bread/flour

Bread and Flour are one of my downfalls. I am extremely strict with myself on these items. I did not nor do I now, allow myself to eat as much grain/starch/bread/flour, as the plan allows...even if it is whole grain.

What I'm saying is that just because the plan allows us to eat certain things in phase II, does not mean that it'll work for every one of us. Its important to know what your trigger foods are and devise strategies that allow you to have them but in a very controlled way.

When I learned abut Dreamfields pasta, I was very happy but afraid at the same time. I have found that I can have it about once every 2 weeks and consider this to be a treat. I think that its important that we do not deprive ourselves of the foods we love as we will feel deprived without in the long run.

Its not what we eat as a treat that gets us into trouble, its what we do every day that matters!!

Whole grains can be brown rice, oat meal, and all the other grains that are listed....try to stay as unprocessed as possible. Low carb flour is still flour!! Which to me, is to be avoided.
  #68   ^
Old Sat, Jan-21-06, 23:59

Plan: Weight Watchers/S Beach
Stats: 201/195.8/135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Since I eat out often (but I am new to South Beach, so I can't offer advice) I thought what would help me is the new book South Beach Eating Out Guide, or something along that title. Since I eat out alot, I know others do too, maybe this will help us all.
  #69   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-06, 10:47
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca A
Since I eat out often (but I am new to South Beach, so I can't offer advice) I thought what would help me is the new book South Beach Eating Out Guide, or something along that title. Since I eat out alot, I know others do too, maybe this will help us all.

Thats a great idea Rebecca!!

As far as eating out, my experience has been to eat as clean as possible ie: no sauces or sauce on the side so that you can control the amount you eat by using it as a dipping sauce. Restaurants use alot of sugar and salt in their cooking.

So I will order a protein and a veggie, usually steamed. Or a salad w/ chicken. Its not that hard to eat out but it is best to eat your own cooking as much as possible because this way you know what exactly is in your food.
  #70   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-06, 15:00
Attitude is a Choice

just bumping this back up!
  #71   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-06, 23:23
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 197/193/170 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Newbie to SB

I just finished reading through all of the posts here and it has been really helpful. I tried Atkins a few months ago, and had som success, but found that after the 2 weeks, the thought of protien food just sickened me. I have decided to give SB a try since it does seem to allow some of the things that I really enjoy, like nuts and some dairy. I will be lurking about, seeing how things work, watch out!

Mich
  #72   ^
Old Fri, Jan-27-06, 07:51

Plan: south beach
Stats: 198/189/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Thanks you guys so much for this thread, it has been really helpfull as a newbie to read all of your great ideas. Keep it comming.
  #73   ^
Old Fri, Jan-27-06, 10:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 211/148/122 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 71%

I have been really successful on Atkins over the last 18 months and still have some weight left to lose and am thinking of starting SB. Thanks for all the information. I am heading to the library to get the book to read before I buy it.
  #74   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-06, 11:56

Plan: Bariatric Surgery/S.Beach
Stats: 280/143/145 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:way/2/much
Progress: 101%

Just thought this needed a bump to the top again.
Please take a minute (ok maybe more than a minute ) and give this a read. There are so many helpful suggestions here.

Hope you all are having a great day.
  #75   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-06, 17:46
Attitude is a Choice

Default For any Newbies out there!!

I hope that you take some time and read through this thread!!