Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 22:18
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 268/198/205
BF:
Progress: 111%

As a relative newcomer, Andy directed me to this thread after I just posted something in Introductions. This may prove to be an unpopular post.

Its interesting to see how the discussion ultimately drifts to intolerance and implied discrimination. I for one, believe people will discriminate against you if your overweight and you're not likely to change that - unless you change yourself.

I've seen a lot of inferences about metabolism and genetics. Well, I don't really believe that's the root cause of being very overweight for most people. Now I suppose I'm going to get it here, but if you stop and think about it, somehow, the body tries to balance caloric intake with use. Its not too hard to figure out what goes wrong when you gain weight.

The real issue is health of course, but looking good is very good too. The problem is the two issues are interrelated. Health Canada warns that a waist size of over 40" (for men I think) is a real danger and the incidence of fatal disease increases dramatically for such people.

But what I'm really struck by is the acceptance by many in this thread that is your personal happiness that counts and that weight targets are simply that, targets. Well, I supppose people addicted to alcohol and cocain use the same tortured logic. I think your selling yourselves short. Yes, as previous posts reverberate: we're all adults, you can make choices, its your life.
That's the point really, it is your life - don't give up on it.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 23:07
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I've seen a lot of inferences about metabolism and genetics.

Keep on reading the forum and you'll be amazed at how many people here, past and present have damaged their metabolism by years of calorie restriction, low-fat dieting and bullemia. Low-carb and increasing lean muscle mass can heal it.

Quote:
Now I suppose I'm going to get it here, but if you stop and think about it, somehow, the body tries to balance caloric intake with use.

Have you thought of reading Protein Power, Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution, Dr. Bernstein's Diabetic Solution, The Schwarzbein Principle, CAD or CALP so you'll know what your talking about when discussing "caloric intake with use" on a low-carb support forum? Low-carbing doesn't exactly work that way.

Quote:
I for one, believe people will discriminate against you if your overweight and you're not likely to change that - unless you change yourself.

'Yer preachin' to the choir, but thanks anyway.

Karen
  #93   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 00:15
Registered Member

BF:

Karen,

I may have not expressed myself in a technically correct way and "caloric" is probably not a good word in this context. But that's not my real point. I'm sure there's a lot of technical and medical research studies explaining why people are overweight. We face a lot of temptations in North America and it’s not too hard to develop a problem – just travel through a food court in a shopping centre. I've been there, like a some other people in this forum. I'm certainly not trying to criticize a particular diet program and without a doubt, some people have medical issues to contend with.

What I'm really getting at is the theme and debate that is really running through this thread. Without a doubt, it’s hard to accomplish difficult things and I’m quite sympathetic to the discrimination that occurs against overweight people. But to your point, “(losing weight) to be more attractive outwardly is a losing battle. What happens when you don't feel attractive?”

Why is trying to be more attractive by losing weight a losing battle? One could view that as discriminatory. The real point is, don’t let it be an excuse.
  #94   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 01:14
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
Why is trying to be more attractive by losing weight a losing battle? One could view that as discriminatory. The real point is, don’t let it be an excuse.

It's not an excuse, but it's what some people live with out of habit. They may have actually forgotten that it's an excuse because it's now second nature. It can a real struggle for many people because they unable or are unwilling to find the means to take care of themselves. Many are frightened. Many try to bend the rules to suit their own particular needs. Many just feel hopeless.

Food addictions, low-self esteem and a host of other reasons come into play. What happens when willpower lags, when the enormity of the task is just that - so enormous that it is incomprehensible?

Quote:
What happens when you don't feel attractive?

Hopefully nothing. Hopefully everyone can reach a point where they can take it at face value. Some people work on their outside and inside because they have come to believe that it's the path to well-being.

Those that are willing to "do what it takes" find their own way, in their own time. I think that's one of the reasons why this forum thrives.

Karen
  #95   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 07:50
Registered Member

BF:

Karen,

Quote:
Those that are willing to "do what it takes" find their own way, in their own time.

I agree.
  #96   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 09:35

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete
I'm sure there's a lot of technical and medical research studies explaining why people are overweight. We face a lot of temptations in North America and it’s not too hard to develop a problem – just travel through a food court in a shopping centre. I've been there, like a some other people in this forum. I'm certainly not trying to criticize a particular diet program and without a doubt, some people have medical issues to contend with.

Facing temptation isnt the only issue for many of us, if only it were that simple, - it goes much deeper. Some of us are dealing with addiction, some with medical issues - and we are being told from all sides that we should eat a low fat, high carb, calorie restricted diet to be healthy. Low carb has saved our lives. This is not hyperbole. This is also not a 'diet' - we strive to eat this way for the rest of our lives.

Nat
  #97   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 20:27

Plan: My own (based on a compil
Stats: 333/260/224 Male 73 ins
BF:
Progress: 67%

Just for the record, there are two types of metabolism: one can cope with carbohydrates, the other cannot. For those who can, a calorie-controlled diet is the answer to shifting those few (and it always is just a few) extra pounds. For those who cannot, the inability to do so is caused by a deficiency in the enzyme chains which break down carbohydrates. The problem for this second group is that the world keeps shouting at it to take the cure which is effective for the first group, that is low calories, low fat and high carb. This cannot and never will solve the weight problems of the second group, for which the only cure is a low intake of carbohydrates. And this is why it is a way of life, not just some diet.

These are medically and scientifically proven facts. If you like, I am able to quote chapter and verse the research studies which led to this information being discovered.

So let us have no more of this nonsense about gaining weight being linked to over-eating. The vast majority of members here have continued to gain weight while eating fewer and fewer calories (because they were told by the world at large that if they are gaining weight then however few calories they are eating, it is still too many, and that in order to lose weight, they must eat even fewer). Round about the time most of us have been on a semi-starvation diet for long enough to feel weak and dizzy, we start noticing the real truth, instead of what people tell us is fact.

For many of us, it seems incredible after all we have been through that the true remedy is so simple and so painless, and I see many posts from new members saying they can't believe how well they can eat and still lose weight, when previously they ate so little but still gained it.

And make no mistake about this, either. The folks here have immense willpower - far more than their critics who tell them to apply self-discipline to their eating.

I am prepared to accept a considerable range of opinions here, provided they are expressed politely, but one thing I absolutely will not tolerate is the imputation that people who are overweight deserve to be, due to their self-indulgence.

Andy
  #98   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 09:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

i think we really have to get over what we look like and i can't help to think those of us who have gained 100 lb+ over our "ideal" weight did it because of the remarks.
I know myself as a young teenager when the remark of "you won't find a husband" or "you would be soooo pretty" made me get my back up and would send into a binge.
I chose the low carb way of life because because my weight was going up 10 lb a year and with no slowing down in sight not because of how i looked.
One of the most insightful remarks made to me was a lady who said that in her mind she was beautiful. Fat or thin she would look in the mirror and say wow im hot stuff. and i guess i feel that way too!
At my heaviest i still attracted my husband and sometime others(much my horror) as well.
I think you do the best with what you have and you do all you can to make youself feel confident and people will gravitate towards you.
To prove my point, how many of us know people that are soooo down on themself and think so little of themself and yet have only 10 lb of excess weight.
be happy deal with your weight but first and foremost BE HAPPY!
  #99   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 12:44

Stats: 333/260/224 Male 73 ins
BF:
Progress: 67%

Thanks Cathy, a great attitude.

Andy
  #100   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 16:14

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Originally posted by cathyc:
i can't help to think those of us who have gained 100 lb+ over our "ideal" weight did it because of the remarks.

I am sorry but this sounds suspiciously like the wife beater who said "I did it because my wife didn't have supper ready on time." How we react to situations or comments is entirely our own responsibility.

Quote:
Originally posted by cathyc:
I think you do the best with what you have and you do all you can to make youself feel confident and people will gravitate towards you.

I agree, with the caveat that you can't feel confident unless you own your decisions and actions--the good and the bad.

Bobbie

P.S. I think I shouldl make myself clear that I am talking about our attitudes and actions in reaction to what other's say because I believe, I should say I know, that Andy is absolutely right re the science behind body types and weight gain.

Last edited by Homegirl : Sun, Feb-10-02 at 16:31.
  #101   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 16:24

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Yea Andy! Can you please talk to my grandmother? She always let me know that all I had to do was push myself away from the table and I would lose that weight. So here I am and I have pushed myself away many, many times. You guys out there do not know what a great support you are to those of us struggling. Thanks for being there. Anybody have an answer about coffee? No or yes? Thanks, Susi
  #102   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 22:53

Plan: Atkins
BF:
Progress:

sorry to disagree with you home girl but we are all a product of our upbringing and enviroment and even in your scenerio of the wife beater it often is cycular and to say that negativity and insensitivity doesn't effect us is blind.
Yes, we do our best to cope and we wouldn't be talking on a forum like this if we weren't being accountable and trying to make a change would we?
  #103   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 00:52

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%

I didn't say that what other people do or say doesn't affect us. That's a given. And yes, sometimes behaviour patterns get passed on from generation to generation.

However, my point was that we CAN choose how we act/react to what others say and do. The wife beating behaviour started somewhere along the line of generations and it can stop somewhere along the line too. However, someONE has to make a choice in order for the behaviour to either stop or start.

And yes, I agree we all come here for support in changing and making ourselves better people. But we also come for knowledge in order to make those changes. It's awfully hard to make good choices when the information we have is limited. This forum is a wealth of information. We have the benefit of learning from other's positive and negative experiences and we can also learn by being told what we need to hear rather than what we want to hear.

Bottom line is being honest with ourselves about who we actually are and deciding who we want to be. This affects all areas of our lives including our health and our weight.
  #104   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 01:50
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 160/150/112 Female 5ft 5inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

Well said.I couldn't agree more.
Cali
  #105   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 09:18