Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 18:14

Plan: Keto 80/15/5
Stats: 264/263/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 1%

I'm in Delta!

I just found out a Low carb store opened in Tsawwassen....Hopefully I can get out there Friday, and I will let you all know how much stuff they have!

Natascha
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 18:19

Plan: Keto 80/15/5
Stats: 264/263/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 1%

Count me in for the get-together!

And for the dinner at the fish house!

Natascha
  #63   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 15:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 302.2/302.2/185 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

Just found this thread, and I'd love to meet some new LC friends.

If you have room for another in this thread, I'm from Vancouver as well and would love to keep in touch with some fellow BC'ers - especially if they involve a chance to try out Karen's tasty treats

Wynter
  #64   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 19:25

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Hi, everybody! This is too cool, we're coming out of the woodwork now! I am wondering if, as Karen suggested, we should do a more casual get together in November first? Preferably on an evening that Karen is free to join us? Do we want to make it dinner or just a coffee meet, though?

I know a few others who might be interested in coming along us, as well.. Must leave notes in their journals.... One lady is from a Yahoo group and it turns out she lives very near me.
  #65   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 08:45

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 130/119/110 Female 61
BF:??
Progress: 55%

I'm in Maple Ridge. We actually lived in Salmon Arm for a bit when DH got out of University (his first job out of school was there). We love it here, and there is a great LC store in West Van that just opened up (I've ordered from it online). I'm going to be trying Somersizing since Atkin's was a bit too MEATY for me LOL!
  #66   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 17:02
dazendream

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Hi everyone, I'm from Victoria. We're a little behind here on the low-carb products, but they're slowly starting to find their way into the stores. I haven't ordered anything online, so have not tried many low-carb alternatives. I'm still on induction, my mini-goal is to get through a full 2 weeks without falling off the wagon. Good to know there's so many BC'rs out there!
  #67   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 18:36
Registered Member

Stats: 225/225/165 Female 5' 4
BF:

Hiya Bubbles,

I was just in the Shuswap area two days ago... not a long drive for me though... Went to your health food store Nutters and found a few LC items in there.... Thankfully they are willing to do mail order for me... I don't think I would be able to drive to Salmon Arm every weekend *smile* Good luck LC'ing!!

Talk soon~
~Lori
  #68   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 19:26

Stats: 210/210/160 Female 5'2"
BF:

Is there not much out in Vernon Corbry? Kelowna is slowly getting more and more. I noticed in your journal you were able to find Tortillas. I've been hoping to find some out here but no luck yet. I might have to take a trip out to Salmon Arm.

Last edited by Allikins : Sun, Oct-05-03 at 19:46.
  #69   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 00:38

Plan: adkins
Stats: 182/178/135 Female 5'4 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%
Cool hi girl

I have found some sucess getting products in Vernon. for instance, both health stores by safeway sell some products. Even safeway sells some sugar free e.d. smith items in jars like Jam and Syrups etc- so does the save on foods. Safeway sells sugar free sobe drinks.
Rogers flours mill sell a lot of the baking products you might need and they're open 7 days a week.
Purdy's now sell sugar free products and costco has rainwater sweetened drinks. or something like that I havn't been there for awhile.
Nutters is bringing in more products as they can.

Good luck with your journey. I am nearby.
  #70   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 09:30
Registered Member

BF:

Allikins

No need for you to drive all the way to Salmon Arm, the lady
there said she would have no problem doing mail orders if you can put it on a credit card and pay the postage, she will send you what you need. The tortillas are great, I have to say I have used them to make sandwiches, I toast them cus I am not really into the doughie'ness of them but they are good. I have not found a lot of places in Vernon to buy stuff... but I was able to find some of the Atkins Enduldge bars at Superstore, so that was a treat. If you need the information to Nutters, let me know I have one of her business cards here with me!

Good Luck!
~Lori
  #71   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 09:33
Registered Member

BF:

updown,

Thank you for the information, I am going to have to try the health food store by safeway... I hadn't even thought to go in there as of yet. But I will now.... I have resorted to ordering some of my stuff from online. We'll see how that works... I found a website that has good prices and only charges $5.00 shipping to Canada if you order over $50.00. This is my first order from them... hopefully it is a success and I will continue to do it that way!!

Good luck!
~Lori
  #72   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 09:51

Here's the web site to the place in north van. She's very nice and shipping is super fast.
http://www.lowcarbcentre.com
  #73   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 09:57

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Lori, what is the URL for the online place you use, please?

Another thing you can get at Real Cdn Superstore is a no-name brand (yellow bag?) of pork rinds (don't make a face!).. They carry plain, BBQ, and Hot & Spicy. The BBQ and Hot & Spicy do have some carbs due to the spices, I believe. The plain can be used in a variety of recipes, specifically LC French Toast and Waffles, if you have a waffle maker. I have a recipe for southern style pecan waffles that is really good and while I was at my sisters, I made the french toast for her - she could not believe how good it was. The spicier ones are good for breading for chicken and for "scoopers" for LC dips, etc. RCS also has a no-name brand of beef jerky with no sugar added to it - very handy for road trips. No sugar no-name diced tomatoes and tomato paste are available too, as is cocount milk (look for Aroz-D brand - it's the best).

At Safeway here, I have found the E.D. Smith No Sugar Added jams, Carey's SF pancake syrup and another brand whose name escapes me at the moment (check the Pharmacy area for diabetic foods), Alpine No Sugar Added hot cider mix, Kraft sugar and salt-free peanut butter, Hunts tomato sauce and pasta (check to get the ones w/o sugar).

If you have Save-On Foods there, they have a Natural Foods section with Bob's Red Mill products (Vital Wheat Gluten "flour", etc), Eden black soy beans and Muir's organic tomato sauces.

In all of these stores, be sure to check the Diabetic sections - it's interesting what they stock there. Recently, both Safeway and Save On have started carrying Atkins mixes and in Safeway, that's where they keep them. Don't bother with the Atkins syrups, though.. very thin and runny, not good. I quite liked the Carey's for my waffles! It's interesting that in some cases, the products are actually cheaper than in the US - Atkins mixes and Alpine cider are two such cases.

Hope this helps - I am slowly building a database of sources (mostly US) for stuff, using my sales receipts for info. I am thinking it'll prove quite helpful in the long run!

Last edited by jeanyyy : Mon, Oct-06-03 at 09:58.
  #74   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 10:04

Save-on foods has Adam's sugar/salt free all natural PB. My favorite!!!!
  #75   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 20:26
Registered Member

BF:

Jean!

The URL is www.thebetterhealthstore.com I have found them to have the lowest prices, and the best price for shipping to Canada. I will let you know how long it takes to get here... I just received the email today that my shipment was sent out complete. I am going to have to go looking around a few more dusty corners in the stores to find the LC stuff... I did find some stuff at Wal-mart, but yuck, the cookies I tried that were sweetened with splenda (forgot the name) were horrible... Oh well.. I'll keep looking. I am going to have to try the pork rinds... everyone seems to be snacking on those and using them in recipies, but I have actually never tried them... I'll keep my eye out!
So much for having a loss this week... hmmm... that didn't work. My clothes say I have had a loss, but the scales says I stayed the same... No biggie, maybe inches and not actual pounds.. I'm not too upset (yet) We'll see what happens next week *smile*
Talk to you soon~!
~Lori