Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-05, 23:32

Plan: No one plan
Stats: 208.5/180.5/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Well, I'm no expert of course, but because I'm a chatty chick I just had to throw my $.02 in

First off, I only know one person who has ever had weight loss surgery. It was a few years before I had heard of Atkins/SBD/Low Carb, so it's very possible he hadn't heard of it either. He worked in the suite next to mine and we would always meet and chat in the 7-11 across the street. He was well over 450lbs, but at this point, I don't remember his exact weight. He could barely walk, he had many health problems. Basically, he was going to die if he didn't do something. I quit that job, but came back a bit later to pick up one of my friends for lunch and while I was waiting outside I saw this skinny man leap over the 3' cement wall outside the office. It was him! I couldn't believe it. He looked wonderful. I don't know if he had any complications, but he did say that at the point he was at the risks on the table were about equal to the risks of where he was in his life at the time... there was a good chance he'd die either way... and that's what made his decision for him.

But I don't see you being at that point. To me, it sounds like you are a larger lady (no offense intended, I'm going based on your stats ) who is quite successful in becoming a healthy, skinny lady. You said yourself the risks just don't make sense because of your son... but your son aside for the moment, why risk it for you? You have a lot of life left to live and, IMO of course, it just doesn't make sense to possibly give that up to do something you're already doing.... lose the weight.

I also have heart disease and diabetes in my family. And while the surgery isn't an option for me, I just can't fathom getting surgery to prevent something that may or may not ever happen to me. Not only does it seem like overkill, as many have mentioned, but just plain impractical.

It also seems as if that doctor is rather uneducated in the weight loss options arena. Like I'm always told, "even in medical school, someone had to graduate at the bottom of the class". If I were you, not only would I let the clinic know why I was leaving, but I'd also be writing a note to the AMA.

My other thought is, have you done any research on this doctor's background? I'm almost curious to see if he has had any complaints against him that are similar to yours.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-05, 23:53

Plan: Atkins' OWL
Stats: 294/237.6/149 Female 5'8"
BF:oodles
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAnn
By the time you see a nutritionist and endocrinologist the decision may be moot. I believe that you have to be at least 100 pounds overweight to have the surgery and at the rate you are losing you may not qualify. Just a thought!

Yeah, I was thinking that too! Kim - you barely qualify for surgery as it is. Another few pounds and you'll be out of the target range.

Another horror story - a relative had it, complications ensued, weight dropped fast at first but now it seems to be climbing again, and he's NEVER been healthy since. The docs told him the surgery would save his life, but from my vantage point it only added to his health woes. A doctor told me to consider it for myself last year, but there's just no freakin' way. I feel like I've finally got a bit of control back this year; what better way to apply it? I plan to strut right back into that doctor's office the second I hit onederland and ask, "How ya like me now?"
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-05, 03:37

Plan: General LC
Stats: 318/213.2/185 Female 5ft 6.5
BF:
Progress: 79%

like the others i think your doctor is on crack.
But then again the whole medical field is a mafia.

I doubt the surgery would have been a 0 cost procedure for you, why not instead invest in a personal trainer.
Your results might take you more time, but atleast your not risking death.
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-05, 05:10

Plan: Maintenance (PPLP)
Stats: 216/131/140 Female 5 feet, 5 inches
BF:48.79/21.19/23
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNWI
Hi everyone I just got home from my doctor's office. I mentioned this in the Chicks forum but figured I will reach more ppl if I just made a new thread so here I am. I went in today for a checkup my blood pressure and all those things are still excellent but my doctor is pressing the surgery. Says its the only way to get the extra weight all gone before problems develop. He set me up to see a endocrinologist and nutritionist in the next few weeks because my insurance requires them as prelimaries. Told me to go home and really think about how bad I want to be healthy again. I do have diabetes on both sides of my family along with heart diseases and a long family history of overweight related health issues so even though my blood sugar and pressure are ok for now he thinks I should do it as a preventive measure.

One one hand I want to go NOW and do it because I would be skinny in no time right? on the other hand this is major surgery and scares me to death.
My weight loss has slowed down in the past month but still steadily dropping. I have read on the internet all morning about risks and such. I know they are high so that scares me. I also realise that all its really doing is restricting my food intake and am I not already doing that?? I mean food control anyway with this WOL? Also I have seen some distrubing pics of ppl that have lost from the surgery way to fast and naked its just well a mess of skin that they will have to have removed. I am postive thats not insurance covered.

If anyone has experience with this or advice please share.
Thanks,
KimNWI

Well, I can't say that I blame you for considerating it. You WILL lose weight this way, almost guaranteed.

My experience with gastric bypass comes from knowing many, many people, very close to me with three of them being relatives, that have done it. I strongly considered doing it myself, as I was almost 80 pounds overweight.

One of the things that bothered me was that most that I have known, especially the women, appeared to look like they were 10 years older by the time their weight was off. It aged them, and they all look like walking skeletons...eyes bulge, brittle, dry hair, gauntness to the cheeks. Basically, but what I saw, a gastric bypass simply makes you starve your weight off.
Depending on what procedure you have, your stomache is made smaller to take in less food, or your organs are rerouted so your food doesn't have enough time to absorb before it passes through.

Contrary to some of the other experiences posted here, I haven't known one person that had the "permanent reroute" done that gained their weight back. Those that had the "reversable" procedure done, tho, more in men over 50, gained at least some of it back -- those are the people I know that actually still look "good".

I have an aunt and two cousins that had the procedure at the same time -- they had to travel to another state to get it done because they were only 50/60 pounds overweight (docs in my state won't do it unless you are over 100 pounds overweight). It took them nine months to shed their excess weight, and all three of them look like death warmed over. I lost 70 with LCing and no surgery, in six months.

In addition, my aunt/two cousins were instructed -- guess on what diet? LCing!

If you have this surgery, your doc is going to put you on a LC diet, or something very similar. You won't be able to eat all the foods you had before this WOL....the only difference is that eating the forbidden foods may make you a heck of a lot sicker.

You won't lose weight any faster with a gastric bypass than with LCing either. It WILL take you a good year/year and a half to shed over 100 pounds, about as long as LCing would take. The surgery will force you to eat the right foods, in a more drastic way. Is major surgery worth the increased "will power"?

LCing will also treat your diabetes...a disorder that IS diet controlled. My dad is completely off meds, shed over 100 pounds, and he had a series of major strokes due to his diabetes.

I definitely understand why many resort to gastric bypass surgery. I understand being so overwhelmed by the amount of excess pounds, and the health problems that come with that excess weight. As a last resort, I do feel that gastric bypass is the lessor evil.

However, if you are already living the LC WOL, there is no need for surgery. Your weight and health will be improved within the same time period, if not faster, than surgery provides, and in a much healthier way, IMO.

My advice is DON'T DO IT! Stay on your current WOE, and you will be a thinner healthier person in no time :-)

Oy, I almost forgot! Insurance will pay for the removal of excess skin, depends on the carrier. A standard "tummy tuck" is considered comestic, most won't cover that -- but in cases of excessive weight loss where removal of skin is a necessity and a health concern, good possibility it will be covered. I'm PPO, and my insurance covers it, if a doc reccommends it "necessary".

Last edited by MeBLady : Sun, Jul-24-05 at 05:31.
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-05, 06:49

Plan: General LC
Stats: 318/213.2/185 Female 5ft 6.5
BF:
Progress: 79%

^ i used to work for an insurance company and thats somewhat true, besides having to meet medical necessity some companies actual require that you had to have had your surgery within a certain timeframe and that having the excess skin somehow hinders your lifestyler.

Medical necessity is a joke anyways,... there are so many loopholes for every necessity, insurance companies can deny things even if they are necessary.

Just go to a fraud provider and they can hook it up .. tummy tuck, lipo, anything you can imagine. just be careful as they are fraud

One time we had a claim for a man that was sweating excessivley, the medical necessity letter read something along these lines "this man requires removal of his sweat glands because his excessively sweaty hands cause him trouble when dating women as he can not hold their hand" and the charge they where making for this procedure ... over 100k.
sorry i got sidetracked
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-05, 08:14

Plan: Atkins~~OWL
Stats: 294/237/150 Female 5' 6
BF:
Progress: 40%

Hey everyone I wasn't here for a day due to my fiance visiting but I logged in this morning and wow people are still busy on this thread!! Once again I thank you for your concerns but I did decide just from reading the first few posts and talking it over with my fiance that its not for me. I can't risk it and if its all just for added willpower I am already doing well. I am going to see the adminstrator on Monday after my son goes to preschool and let him know what has happened. I am also going to find a new doctor.

Their was someone who suggested investing in a personal trainer and I would love to but my budget is so tight as a single mom I can't even afford a gym membership. Thats ok though me and my tapes will make it till I can. I am just gonna stick with my WOL and do this myself. The whole thing just scares me now and I am so glad I had this forum to learn from.

Thank you.
KimNWI
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-05, 11:18
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNWI
Hey everyone I wasn't here for a day due to my fiance visiting but I logged in this morning and wow people are still busy on this thread!! Once again I thank you for your concerns but I did decide just from reading the first few posts and talking it over with my fiance that its not for me. I can't risk it and if its all just for added willpower I am already doing well. I am going to see the adminstrator on Monday after my son goes to preschool and let him know what has happened. I am also going to find a new doctor.

Their was someone who suggested investing in a personal trainer and I would love to but my budget is so tight as a single mom I can't even afford a gym membership. Thats ok though me and my tapes will make it till I can. I am just gonna stick with my WOL and do this myself. The whole thing just scares me now and I am so glad I had this forum to learn from.

Thank you.
KimNWI

Kim,
My insurance actually will reimburse gym membership fees if it is for a health problem. Since they're so easy to cover slicing people open for obesity, maybe you can get your gym membership covered?
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-05, 12:45

Plan: Atkins~~OWL
Stats: 294/237/150 Female 5' 6
BF:
Progress: 40%

I doubt it I am below poverty level at the moment so the only insurance I have is public assistance. I can always call tommorrow and ask but I don't think thats an option for me. Its okay though, I am losing weight this way and after I finish college and get a real job I will be able to afford a gym then or maybe once we move and I have him to help with bills. I agree with you though its a much better option for them to cover that then cut me open and I am sure it would be loads cheaper for them as well.

KimNWI
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Jul-29-05, 13:12

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Bumping for Pugzilla!
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Aug-03-05, 08:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 142/120/128 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 157%

Two people I know just recently had this surgery. One is a good friend the other an associate.

My good friend had this surgery feb of '04 and she looks great. I believe she is down about 100 pounds now. She is working out, walking and running on a daily basis. She looks like she is about 180 now, I think she was like 270 before. She is kinda short so I believe she is still trying to come down another 50 pounds or so.

I did not want her to have the surgery because I was worried about her long-term health. I felt like if she had made a serious committment to LC she could have taken the weight off naturally, but it was her decision to make. I also know she had alot of things going on in her life and don't know, if she could have "mentally" be able to make such a serious committment under her existing circumstances. She had developed diabetes and had suffered alot of death and drama in her family at the time.

I did not want to make her feel bad about her choice so I just choose to support her in a positive manner. She was exercising and trying very hard to eat right on a consistent basis, way before she decided to have the surgery. I KNOW she could have loss the weight without the surgery, but again it was her decision.

---------
The other person was just straight up lazy and did not want to do the hard work to lose the weight naturally. All of her sisters were overweight and had the surgery, so she figured, heck I'll just jump on the bandwagon too. She was not as heavy as my good friend, maybe about 70 pounds over weight. I can't believe they allow her to have that surgery. I think she was purposely eating her weight "up" prior to the surgery. She was always asking me and my sister (who can not gain weight to save her life) to hang out with her late at night at "Wild Wings Cafe" or "Applebee's", etc -- always someplace to eat and I always declined. She didn't care because she knew she was scheduled for that surgery. I never once heard her say prior to the surgery that she was exercising or trying to eat more sensibly. None of that. She was eating up a storm prior to her surgery and wasn't exercise at all! She had her surgery like october of '04, I think and has since loss about 90 pounds.

She however, does not look good at all. It was too much of a weight loss for her height and her bone structure. It also happened too fast. All the fatty tissue has been sucked out her face so her cheeks are kinda sunken in. She is 43 and the surgery has aged her -- she looks like she is 50 now. All her hair fell out, she had to cut it down so that it lays flat on her scalp. Her skin is yellow and dull and she looks sickly, not healthy. Like she's been in the hospital for a while. The surgery cause too much weight loss and if she keep losing she'll evidently look like a concentration camp victim. In my opinion, she was not the right candidate for this surgery.

Last edited by EZlowcarb : Wed, Aug-03-05 at 10:21.
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Aug-03-05, 09:27
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

FWIW......I have not had any WLS.....I've lost 100 lbs in 15 months. slow to some but fine with me!!

Please give this WOE a chance!!
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Aug-03-05, 09:48

Stats: 282/209/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I'm having an adjustable gastric band put in next Tuesday. I'm tired of feeling hungry all the time (yes, even on Atkins). The sheer quantity of food it takes to feel satisfied (not starving) is astounding and I'm only 5'1". Even low-carbing the amount I consume prevents weight loss at a certain point. I haven't been able to get below 200 in 20 years. Unlike our original poster I'm not a young woman any more - I'm 57. I have high blood pressure, I'm bipolar and diabetic and the Glucophage isn't really cutting it anymore. The pre-op diet I'm on is the Atkins induction phase - about 20 gm of carb. My blood sugar still never gets down into the normal range. I can hardly exercise because I want to keel over and I seem to get injured more easily than others. It's probably my weight and the age of my joints. The stats for having the surgery, in my case, are much better than continuing to struggle the way I have. I've been looking at the pros and cons of weight loss surgery for over a year. I decided against the gastric bypass because of the malabsorption problems. The statistics on the band in Europe where it's been done for 10 years (only 4 in the US) are as good as the bypass at 10 years post-op. On average only half the excess weight is lost and kept off - but keep in mind that neither the bypass nor the band promises to do the whole job. The plan of eating afterward encouraged by all of my doctors is low-carb. My surgeon wants me to lose between 1 to 2 pounds a week, and we will adjust the band as needed to achieve that. There are always horror stories and I think I've heard them all. Many of them are true and they most often involve a patient who didn't follow directions. Particularly with the bypass there are life long rules to live by and anyone who thinks this is an easy way out hasn't done their homework.

BTW - I had to go looking for my surgeon and found one in another city. There was no money to be had here for my regular doctor. My doctor never pushed it, but when I asked he told me it was probably a good option. He's gone to great lengths to make sure this surgeon is a good one and that I'm well enough for the surgery. If the doctor who suggested it is not the surgeon there shouldn't be any monetary gain associated with it.

No one can say for sure, but I think I stretched my stomach to the point where it will never shrink. I used to be a binger (without the purge) and would eat an enormous amount. It was an almost violent event. Those days are over but the physical consequences are still with me.

If this is a crutch, so be it. In fact, bring it on. I need one.
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Aug-03-05, 11:18
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogbreath
I'm having an adjustable gastric band put in next Tuesday. I'm tired of feeling hungry all the time (yes, even on Atkins). The sheer quantity of food it takes to feel satisfied (not starving) is astounding and I'm only 5'1".

Good luck and I hope you don't end up with additional health problem after this surgery. Sometimes its not the immediate risk of the surgery but the long-term after effects. Like you said, you are not young, so you do not have youth on your side, thats another factor to consider, in terms of recovering from this type of surgery and dealing with additional health problems that could result from this surgery. You can't afford to add additional problems or several "corrective surgeries" to the list at your age because you are very close to 60, so already that should be a concern for you as a senior citizen. But, hey I'm sure you know that.

Last edited by EZlowcarb : Wed, Aug-03-05 at 11:35.
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Aug-03-05, 11:29
Registered Member

BF:

Also about you always feeling hungry on LC see below. You having this surgery does not "guarantee" you will have no more hunger pains, and more likely than not your doctor will probably put you right back on an LC diet after surgery. Probably, the very one that always leaves you feeling "hungry". If you can't deal with it now, how will you deal with it post-surgery.

------------------
Adjustable Gastric Band (AGB) or Lap Band Risks

Gastric perforation or tearing in the stomach wall may require an additional operation.

Access port leakage or twisting may require an additional operation.

May not provide the necessary feeling of satisfaction that one has had enough to eat.

The band portion of the lap band slips and the small gastric pouch above the band becomes larger. This can cause a partial obstruction and vomiting and may require removal of the band. This problem is prone to occur early after the lap band has been placed and is more likely to occur if there is repeated vomiting. Generally a liquid diet is recommended for the first month after the lap band operation.

Slower initial weight loss than Gastric Bypass or BPD.

Regular follow-up critical for optimal results.

Requires an implanted medical device (the lap band).

In some cases, the lap band's access port may leak and require minor revisional surgery.
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Aug-03-05, 12:44
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Okay, I clearly read in Frogbreath's post that she has been researching the pros and cons of this for a year. We don't need to throw a bunch of information at her that she probably has already seen to try to convince her not to have the surgery. I also read clearly in her post that she's aware there are no guarantees in the surgery. I also read that she's very aware that the diet she will be on after the surgery is the same one she is on now.

In answer to your questions EZ though, is that the thing that diminishes hunger is the lap band. It keeps the food in your stomach longer, prolonging the feeling of being full. Whether you like it or not, statistically, weight loss surgery has a far better long term documented success rate than any diet only or diet & exercise only combo studied, including low-carb.

I am NOT advocating WLS for anyone, I'm merely saying that for some, it's a viable and useful tool. I also know there are some participants here to have had loved ones experience horrible repercussions from WLS, and I'm glad they tell us those facts, those are facts that are important for anyone considering WLS to look at too. This is a grey area, not black and white, there is no right and wrong in deciding whether WLS is the right choice for you.

Valerie