Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-05, 18:38
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%
Thumbs down Low-Carb Sanctimoniousness

We all have different amounts of success with diet, exercise, and weight loss. Lots of members on this site ask other members for assistance in determining why they are having trouble losing weight, help in tweaking their plan, and so on. This kind of support, help, constructive criticism, and tough love is what we're all here for.
I have made some good personal friends from this forum so I know well that the quality of people here is, generally, very high indeed. And I understand that when people have success, they want to share that success.

But sometimes, I see things on here that drive me crazy. So I'm going to vent them here in the War Zone.

Two things to always remember:
1. Every Body Is Different.
2. Everyone's Life Situation Is Different.

From those two things, let's get a little more specific.

What works for your body may not work for mine.
For those of you who have lost weight using low-carb techniques, congratulations. That's great. And now you are an expert on how you can lose weight. But you are not an expert on how I can lose weight, because I'm a whole other person and I am not you.
Some people here can just diet strictly and drop pounds without any exercise at all. Well, lucky you; for me, that never works, and it never will work. Some people can eat lots of artificial sweeteners with no problem, and others don't like them, or can't lose weight when they eat them. I don't expect you to do everything like me. Don't expect me to do what you do.
Example: "How dare you consider gastric surgery. You just need to drop your daily chewing gum and you'll lose weight. Gum-chewing stalls everyone!"

What works for your lifestyle may not work for mine.
Some people can work out for two hours every day and buy expensive specialty foods, and that's great. Some people have kids and a job and don't have much spare time or cash. Some people can eat the same foods every day for very long stretches of time, and some can't stand to do that. Some people can cook really well, some can't cook at all, and some have to travel a lot. We all have to come up with a plan that is realistic in the framework of our real lives.
Example: "You buy the cheap bulk chicken thighs? Don't you know they abuse and mock those chickens and kill them inhumanely? Why don't you buy Earthsong WhaleHarmony DolphinSafe Wholistic Chicken for $7.99 a pound like I do?"

Sometimes, people really aren't doing anything "wrong."
Drawing a further conclusion from the points above, just because someone isn't doing what you do doesn't mean they are doing it all wrong. If they chose a plan different from yours, that isn't wrong. Tweaking a plan isn't wrong either. And before you go sailing in to chastise people about not being "by the book" enough, try going some pages back in the discussion and see what's really going on.
Example: "OMG, how can you do Atkins?! Schwarzbein is *natural*!"

Why do you question other people's motivation?
I "want it enough," I'm "focused enough," I'm "trying hard enough," and I'm "sticking to it enough," thanks. If you think my difficulty in losing weight somehow equates to some kind of moral failing on my part or a lack of character, go away. If you require me to set my goals the way you set yours to prove to you that my thought processes are worthy enough, go away. If you think, in any way, that my problems stem from not adhering to your personal system/ritual/gris-gris, go away. Critiquing my personality is not "constructive."
Example: "Why haven't you signed up for my Egg & Spirulina Fast Challenge? I guess you just don't care about your body."
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-05, 18:47
Me and My DH

Stats: 300/235/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 41%

Ysabella!!! LOL

Not only are you so on-target in what you are saying, but you are so funny too!!! Thank you so much for your fantastic examples!! You are now my hero of the forum!!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-05, 19:25

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Sugar,

You wouldn't have those negative feelings if you were more motivated in your diet, and followed my plan along with taking the 35 essential supplements that I have found to be the key to eternal happiness.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-05, 19:41
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hey ysabella, nice to see you back!

And yes, I guess some take it up as a religion, and it's hard to argue religion

Wa'il
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-05, 20:09
Registered Member

Plan: atkinsish/protein power
Stats: 220/178/130 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default .....

lmao...lmao....and as was so eloquently written...ysbella...I agree...I think deep down this has been the undertoe to ALL diets...the one size fits all mentality has really done alot of damage to the american pscyche, thighs and diet..lmao...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
Sugar,

You wouldn't have those negative feelings if you were more motivated in your diet, and followed my plan along with taking the 35 essential supplements that I have found to be the key to eternal happiness.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-05, 20:16

Plan: A lifestyle change
Stats: 270/248/186 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysabella
Example: "You buy the cheap bulk chicken thighs? Don't you know they abuse and mock those chickens and kill them inhumanely? Why don't you buy Earthsong WhaleHarmony DolphinSafe Wholistic Chicken for $7.99 a pound like I do?"

Ysabella,
This was hilarious, I about died laughing, rock on!
Also I looked at your profile, is that you in a triathalon? How cool!!! Is how you trained in your journal or gym log? I would love to know.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-05, 20:17
Undercover Goddess

Stats: 360/304.2/180 Female 71 inches
BF:Half Price Special
Progress: 31%

Dodger, you're terrible!

ysabella, very well said. Although, I think you might lose faster if you do like I do. When eating, stand on your head. It makes the muscles in your gastrointestinal tract work harder, so you burn more calories! *snicker*
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-05, 20:25
Ohmahgawd! Really??

Stats: 314/306.5/300 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

I totally agree, and what I would like to say sort of goes along with what you said...I absolutely HATE it when some one tells me that if I am not loosing, then there must be something wrong with me physically, emotionally, or otherwise, that I need to see a doctor,(not all of us have insurance, or can afford to go to the doctor, just to be told that the only thing wrong is that I am fat, well DUH!! I never noticed!!), that I need to take anti-depressants (so I had a bad dang day, so what?? You've NEVER had one? Lucky you!). I completely get where you are comming from, and Thank you for standing up and saying so!!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-05, 21:33
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Two words...Bless. You.

Sometimes when you find success, it's hard NOT to want to show everyone you've found the One True Way (pat. pending). However, delivering the message with a sledgehammer tends to have the opposite effect intended, especially when your way may not be the ONLY way.

I'm sure they're fun at parties.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-05, 22:04
Airy Cats Eyes

Stats: 198/180/171 Female 5'5"
BF:diminishing daily
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Why don't you buy Earthsong WhaleHarmony DolphinSafe Wholistic Chicken for $7.99 a pound like I do?"

I get them at my local GreenGrocery27thGenerationCoop for only $7.95

You raise some very valid points...especially about lifestyle and doing what you can.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jul-15-05, 05:34
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

I'm laughing. But it's so true. When I see it happening, sometimes I want to cry. Or lash out.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jul-15-05, 06:14
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

You've raised some good points... y'know what I'll add to that? A lot of what you're complaining about would be avoided if people would fill out their freakin' profiles!!! That drives me insane. The advice I'd dole out to a 400-lb male is totally different from what I'd say to a underweight 19-year-old model-wanna-be. What I'd suggest to someone in Australia is often different from what I'd suggest to someone here in Ontario. So if you don't want people assuming anything about you, give us something to work with!

The other half of the equation - people should LOOK at profiles before offering up advice. It drives me nuts when I see someone say, "you're not allowed berries on induction!" to someone whose profile clearly states another plan.

Quote:
I "want it enough," I'm "focused enough," I'm "trying hard enough," and I'm "sticking to it enough," thanks. If you think my difficulty in losing weight somehow equates to some kind of moral failing on my part or a lack of character, go away.

Okay, but don't whine and cry in a new thread every other day about your cheating. If you cheat, take responsibility for it and move on. If you don't want comments, don't post about it.

Last edited by Kristine : Fri, Jul-15-05 at 06:25.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jul-15-05, 06:58
LC Bridezilla

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 122/99/105 Female 62 inches
BF:Who/Cares
Progress: 135%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
You've raised some good points... y'know what I'll add to that? A lot of what you're complaining about would be avoided if people would fill out their freakin' profiles!!! That drives me insane. The advice I'd dole out to a 400-lb male is totally different from what I'd say to a underweight 19-year-old model-wanna-be.

I agree that you should fill out your profile, but even that can be misleading. For example, some people put down shorter term goals instead of their ultimate goals and I've seen people on here flame those for not setting their sights higher.

Also, smaller boned people get flamed for having set their goal weight too low. Like the OP said...only YOU know YOU.

Quote:
Okay, but don't whine and cry in a new thread every other day about your cheating. If you cheat, take responsibility for it and move on. If you don't want comments, don't post about it.

I agree with this. It's hard when you are sticking to your diet and to see threads like "Is There Any Way To Cheat Successfully On LC". I guess you don't have to post back, but this is one thing that drives me nuts.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jul-15-05, 07:09

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

[QUOTE=Kristine]You've raised some good points... y'know what I'll add to that? A lot of what you're complaining about would be avoided if people would fill out their freakin' profiles!!! That drives me insane. The advice I'd dole out to a 400-lb male is totally different from what I'd say to a underweight 19-year-old model-wanna-be. What I'd suggest to someone in Australia is often different from what I'd suggest to someone here in Ontario. So if you don't want people assuming anything about you, give us something to work with!

The other half of the equation - people should LOOK at profiles before offering up advice. It drives me nuts when I see someone say, "you're not allowed berries on induction!" to someone whose profile clearly states another plan.

Okay, but don't whine and cry in a new thread every other day about your cheating. If you cheat, take responsibility for it and move on. If you don't want comments, don't post about it.[/QUOTE]

Ooooooooooooooh! SlAP!

And BTW, I get what you are saying about what is available or works in one country/region may not work or be avialable in another. Example, in Austrailia you cannot get "Earthsong WhaleHarmony DolphinSafe Wholistic Chicken" at all. But King James Earthraised, Aboriginal Spirit Walaby chops are just as good....
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jul-15-05, 07:39

Plan: Atkins~~OWL
Stats: 294/237/150 Female 5' 6
BF:
Progress: 40%
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
Sugar,

ROFL LMAO this really tickled me.

The part about the chicken thighs has me still giggling too .

I don't know you at all yet ysabella but after reading this thread I think I would really really like you . There have been quite a few times I have felt some of the feelings you described and been frustrated when someone acted that way. There are a couple I avoid reading their posts all together just cause it always seems to be like that and bugs me.

We are all so different from different places, different stages in our lives, income brackets, emotional, physical and just everything its impossible to rule someone elses eating from the internet. I also appreciate any words of encouragement or tips anyone gives me in a helpful and kind way. Its the 'know it all' thing that drives me nuts.

KimNWI