Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-08, 07:04
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I don't know how fresh I am this morning but I am here!

Hey, Jersey - my family and I are looking for a dog. We have been in contact with the shelter in Henry County. Sounds like we might have our new family member in Kewanee.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-08, 04:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 261.5/237.8/199 Female 6ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 38%

congratulations on the new member of your family,m Iowagirl!

Catherine
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-08, 07:08
empress of fashion

BF:

We are STILL waiting to hear from them. We contacted the shelter and filled out an application. I guess the dog is in a 'foster home' which is nice, he will already be used to a family. He is a year old, neutered AND housetrained (woo hoo!). If you look under petfinder you will see him. His name is Rufus. If we get him it won't be.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 05:20

BF:

Rufus is adorable - those eyes, those EARS!

My poor dog Bob died about a month ago so looking at petfinder was nice but hard too....Roy, above Rufus in the listing, looks so sweet...getting teary...must be TOM *frown* and the evil scale today...

Hope *Rufus* gets to come home to you soon.

Catherine
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 06:05
empress of fashion

BF:

Sorry to hear about Bob. What happened?

We had a beagle/basset mix that passed last fall. He was my husband's dog before we married. Newman was a lump! Seriously, I've never seen an animal quite so....immobile. But he was good to the girls so I give him major brownie points for that.

Gotta think of a better name than Rufus.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 07:22

BF:

yeah, Rufus doesn't seem to look like a 'rufus' to me either.

Poor Bob was my mother's dog until she passed away and then he was mine...he was from a shelter too and of *questionable* parentage...he got diabetes, went blind and lame. The diabetes could no longer be controlled with 2 shots a day and he was constantly fighting infection - he started to become disoriented and snappish and then he got very sick. The vet (and DH) insisted I agree to euthanasia. It was awful...and I miss my Poor Bob so.
We have another very old dog, Patch, who tries to console me but it'll take me a while to get over losing Bob.

Rufus looks like *Joey* or *Buster* or something lively to me.

Catherine
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-08, 08:11
empress of fashion

BF:

I like Joey!

I was reading online that a name change is good - it shows the dog that this is a different home, a different family, etc. I kind of like Hershey, too.

My daughters want to put in their two cents but after having a black cat named Snowball, I'm just not sure.

Poor Bob - sounds like he had it really rough, healthwise. Good that he had two generations of your family to look after him.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-08, 10:35
empress of fashion

BF:

Hold on - dh and girls made a two hour round trip drive only to be told the dog was given to another family. Dh spoke to the shelter YESTERDAY to set this up. I called and gave them a piece of my mind....grrrrr.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-08, 05:21

BF:

that's terrible - was it just an administrative glitch? Your poor girls - I know you all were pumped up to get him. Are you looking at other shelters?
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-08, 06:26
empress of fashion

BF:

I don't know what happened. Funny the woman my husband talked to started to change her tune on Saturday - suddenly Rufus is a furniture chewer, jumps on people, etc. "So he wouldn't have been a good match, anyway." I told dh she is either lying NOW or she was lying initially when she talked him up so much. Either way, we'll take our business elsewhere.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-08, 05:15

BF:

how strange. I don't blame you for looking elsewhere. Have you checked at your local vet? Ours often has pets up for adoption and they know the animal quite well.

Heckuva storm coming I see - stay dry today.

Catherine
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-08, 11:46
empress of fashion

BF:

Yes I called the vets but nothing available at this time. We have a lead on another but I almost hate to mention it - don't want to jinx anything!

Rain, rain, go away....
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-08, 21:35
empress of fashion

BF:

We have a dog! He is an adorable little beagle. We went to see him last night and he is so sweet. The owners used to have a fenced in yard but moved and this yard is not fenceable. As a result he has been wondering the neighborhood and the neighbors have had enough. He was sweet with my youngest daughter and to dh and I (my older girls were at their father's). The family said they would get back to us, they wanted to decide as a whole who should get Dodger and we are the winners! Dh is going to get him tomorrow night. They are giving us his dog house as well. Yeah!!!

I'm thinking I will rename him Eddy.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-08, 05:09

BF:

YAY! Lucky *Eddy*. Sounds like he'll be a great addition to your family.

I just looked at the forecast...they're mentioning the *S* word for the weekend....!!!!
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-08, 06:53
empress of fashion

BF:

I've heard that, too. What a mess. You know I really do like the winter. I can honestly say this onslaught of snow did NOT disappoint me at all. But enough is enough. Its April, time to move on!

I keep remembering what my grandfather told me when I was young -that he remembered it snowed one year in MAY.

The previous dog owners are coming over (following my husband) and bringing his dog house. They've already asked if the kids can check in on him from time to time. An open adoption!