Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-05, 14:45

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 198.5/183/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

i might also add that as far as i read a couple of months ago, the elf has not been found to cause any deaths, but it has been a close thing several times and the general concencus is that it isn't a problem, it is for the good of the cause.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-05, 16:55
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

PeTA kills domesticated animals, not because they're hypocrites or lazy or greedy or anything. It fits perfectly into their goals. PeTA abhors the concept of "pets" and domesticated animals. It is in fact intrinsic to extreme animal rights doctrine that in a utopian world, eventually domesticated pets would be wiped off the face of the earth. To an AR nutjob, pets are the ultimate animal product. It is a sick abomination: a living being that exists to serve human needs, completely helpless and defenseless without human masters. Domesticated animals are like a hamburger or a fur coat that is alive.

If you note on the neocon counter-propaganda site (CFCS), the farm animals PeTA places and does not destroy ritualistically (they referred chickens to animal shelters). They kill mainly the cute little dogs and cats. PeTA killed 85% of their pets, whereas the ASPCA placed homes for an almost equal rate.
This isn't about hypocricy. It isn't greed or a misappropriation of financial priorities. It's about something, much, much scarier: this is their plan to destroy pets, to eliminate their genetic code from the face of the earth.

CFCS would probably mention that, but they don't want to confuse our "simple minds" with anything other than more propaganda, and simplistic concepts that are easily understood (PeTA are terrorists!). Ugh. I mean, I'm against PeTA but as much as I hate them, I hate CFCS much more. They are a much more dangerous than PeTA could hope to be. If anything, I hate PeTA if for no other reason than it makes people liek CFCS more. CFCS is against PeTA simply because animal rights is at odds with industry's profit motive. Raising meat and developing products more humanely decreases profit margin. Too bad, it's healthier for us in the long run (to eat cows that aren't being shot up with hormones and fed grain mush)
I always get the skeevies when I see industry propaganda. It's so direct, so simple, even the possibility for a counter-argument (critical thinking) is intentionally removed from the equation. At least with a biased source, you usually are given a glimpse at the truth, even if an unbalanced picture of it. With industry propaganda, you don't even get that: you get some totally one sided bull supported primarily by manipulating the fears and needs (or fear of needs going unmet) of the reader. You feel dead, robot-like. They regard you as a tool to be manipulated into action. I feel like I'm not even a rational human, like I'm a bundle of emotions and needs tied to strings. It's insulting.
But that's really another thread
Sorry just had to interject that, since I always get a little ticked when I see CFCS being praised.
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-05, 17:16

Plan: PSMF (from Veg Atkins)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7"
BF:BMI 41.8/29.6/23.5
Progress: 73%

A lot of you are talking about the hidden organizations that PETA supports. I personally think that they are doing a lot of good to open people's eyes to what is going on. I have received a lot of phamplets etc. from PETA and they even include questionnaires about how you feel about pets, animal testing and wearing animal products.

If all of you feel so strongly about pets, why don't you do something about it?

Another thing, PETA is not the only bad guy. Did you know that the World Wildlife Foundation supports the NRA? In today's money driven society, you never really know who is in bed with whom. So, it is one thing to be aware of what PETA is doing, but make sure you know all the facts and make sure you know about other companies too!
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-05, 17:56
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

<looking up at title of thread>

Yes, other companies and organizations are "dirty" too, but the thread is about PETA, specifically.

And, coincidentally, a lot of us ARE doing something about it. I choose to donate items to the closest no-kill shelter, had my pets spayed so I don't contribute to overpopulation, donated money to Noah's Wish to help rescue hurricane-stranded pets and I don't go out and club seals. Okay, not every DAY....
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-05, 18:53

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Another thing, PETA is not the only bad guy.

Perhaps not, but pointing out that other organizations aren't exactly lilly white doesn't change the facts about PETA or what they stand for (and if you think it's just about protecting animals, look deeper ).
If it's wrong, it's wrong and no matter how many other people you can point to that also do wrong things it doesn't change the wrong things that PETA does.
Ask yourself this: If PETA is such a benevolent organization towards animals, why do they kill many of the healthy and adoptable pets brought to them as well as seeking out pets on the street to kill? It makes no sense to say, "Protect the animals! Treat animals humanely!" and then kill perfectly sound animals yourself just so they won't (gasp, horror) wind up as a companion animal in a loving home. At least the NRA is consistent...too bad we can't say the same about PETA.
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-05, 19:10

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/208.6/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Really/effing/high
Progress: 19%

Quote:
If all of you feel so strongly about pets, why don't you do something about it?

Some of us do. I can't do as much as I'd like, but as a breeder of basset hounds I feel it's my responsibility to look after my breed. So I contribute to basset rescue, take in the occasional foster (can't do as much of that as I used to, but I'll never turn one away), am available to help with transports, have an open door policy for any of my puppies (my contract specifies they must come back to me if the owner can't keep it), and am always available to help owners (of any breed) with advice as best I can. I'm one of those that actually helps to clean up the messes that irresponsible, uncaring breeders create.

I don't need the CFCF to hate PeTA. I learned about PeTA long before I ever heard of CFCF. PeTA wants to do away with pets. They also want to stop dog sports. PeTA followers have been known to go to shows and let dogs out of their kennels, so they get lost, hit by cars, or attacked by larger dogs. Just the thought of one of my babies lost and afraid in a strange town makes me sick. One show I was at AR activists sprinkled glass in the rings. They've been known to poison show and hunting dogs. And there's the "van euthanasia". They take in money that could be used for animal welfare and spend it on their propaganda campaigns.
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-05, 19:16

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I've adopted five dogs from animal shelters and taken in a couple others when the owners couldn't take care of them any more. I even took a cat in for a few months (talk about a sacrifice).
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-05, 19:22

Here's their latest campaign aimed at children. They hand this "comic book" out to kids. Obviously a sequel to their previous effort "Your Mommy Kills Animals".

http://www.fishinghurts.com/pdfs/Da...=&id=4334a51a2e
Check out the last line. "Until your daddy learns that it's not "fun" to kill, keep your doggies and kitties away from him. He's so hooked on killing defenseless animals that they could be next!"
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-05, 19:46
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

Well! Isn't that nice. I hope that if the children see otters, bears, minks, or other fish killing fish that they will perform a citizen's arrest.

But of course, if your child has Type-I diabetes, there's no point in showing them a comic; you're supposed to let them die. Because insulin might be made by exploiting pigs and other lab animals (it's usually synthetic human insulin now in the US, but in a lot of countries, it's cheaper to make the animal stuff).
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-05, 21:11

Stats: 148/108/108 Female 5'3"
BF:

I have a co worker who is from India. He is a minority there. He is a Jane. One of the few pagon relgions based on salvation, not Karma. Of course he does not eat meat...but more to that. He will not eat any veggies that are grown underground. He can't eat onion, garlic, carrots, potato, parsnips, etc. He would rather starve then eat those viggies I mentioned. In addition, he can not wear leather, silk (those worms are abused in order to make silk), wool. He can't eat cheese, but can drink animal milk. I'm not sure he can wear cotton. They are taken from living things...plants. I just brought this up to show how strongly people feel about what they eat. I'm sure some Peta people would be horrified by what he considers cruel to eat.
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-05, 12:16
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Yum, a nice air sandwich with a side order of.... what CAN you eat that isn't "hurting" something alive? Some people consider fruit to be "stolen" from the plant, like eggs are "stolen" from the chicken.
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-05, 12:33

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
Yum, a nice air sandwich with a side order of.... what CAN you eat that isn't "hurting" something alive? Some people consider fruit to be "stolen" from the plant, like eggs are "stolen" from the chicken.
Don't Fruitarians only eat the fruit that has fallen from the tree? That way the tree has 'given' them the fruit. And it never hurts to shake the tree a little to make it more willing to give!
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-05, 12:56

Stats: 148/108/108 Female 5'3"
BF:

I think Vishall (my co-worker) would do that. The bottom line, cruel as it seems...human beings are omnivrious....they can eat anything, including each other. Religions get around this by stressing if you kill an insect by accident(lets say..or anything else once alive), if you pray for forgiveness, it will be ok. Vishall would never kill an insect on purpose...certainly not to eat. But there are cultures around the world that eat them. So if something seems repulsive to one person, it is perfectly find for another. I happen to be vagetarian...but I would LOVE to have a fur coat. Fake fur is still not warm enough. I wear silk, leather and lamb, wool and cotton. I also eat eggs and cheese.

Oops...I forgot. I love pearls. They are abused in an awful way in order to provoke the "maker" to produce the pearls....but I don't care. I want them.
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-05, 13:03
Don't Call Me Sugar

Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

There have been cases of strict vegans not breastfeeding their infants. I guess you can't even "exploit" yourself!

Sadly, in one news item I read a few years back, they were feeding the infant nuts and berries, and it nearly starved to death.
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-05, 13:04

Just by breathing and moving around we are killing microbes, plants (grass)....you can't live without killing. I realize it's a question of degree, and we all have to make our own decisions where to draw the line, but I don't see how AR groups can accuse us of "specieism" and then not stand up for the rights of ALL living things. Plants have survival instincts, take measures against attackers, react to their environment, studies have even shown that they grow better with classical music as opposed to harsh rock. Many people believe their plants do better when they talk to them. Maybe it's even crueler to eat plants, at least we know the animals are dead before we cut them up for dinner.