Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-01, 13:28
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Spreadsheets can also be attached as a file here, as long as they're zipped (extensions of .zip .txt .pg and /gif).

Wa'il
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-01, 13:33

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%

hi do and judi -
thanks for the information. i'm feeling better about being able to make it through.
judi- i will pm you. thanks
brenda
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-01, 18:23
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

I think I might sign up for this one too. The last one that I did was quite successful for the amount of time I tried it (two weeks I think) I don't remember why I stopped. Though, I'm a great one for starting things and never finishing them. I may just try it in my notebook here and not post on the internet but then I wouldn't be helping anyone else out now would I?

Okay, Friday after Thanksgiving I'm in!

Elihnig
  #49   ^
Old Sun, Nov-25-01, 15:02

Default HELP!!!

hi - hope ya'll are out there today to help me with this one. if my 25g of carbs are coming from green veggies, then what about the egg issue? do i just do egg whites?
i'm noticing butter all around... are we allowing it? if we're voting, i vote yes.
this project is a lot harder than i anticipated, but it definitely makes me take notice of what i typically eat.
thanks ya'll,
brenda
  #50   ^
Old Sun, Nov-25-01, 16:03
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi Brenda

You're doing fine!! Remember Karen's motto ... progress, not perfection.

25 carbs from green veggies .. that's total carbs, not carbs-minus-fiber. Try to get as close as you can, 24 or 26g is fine.

Although it wasn't spelled out in the instructions this time around ... for the project back in August, we decided amongst the group that it would be permissible to have up to 5 carbs lee-way, for such incidentals as coffee (since we all drank it, and weren't prepared to quit), eggs or other proteins that might have a wee bit o' carb, such as crab or shrimp. The carbs in eggs are evenly divided between yolk and white, ie .. there's 0.3g in each part. Of course, the fewer of these "extra" carbs, the better. (On my two days last week ... I had 24g each time from green veggies, and 3g from coffee & eggs)

As for butter, I guess you didn't see where I answered the other day in my study journal (no probs!) .. well, also during the first project, we decided that a small amt of butter could be considered fat, not dairy. To remove all traces of dairy protein and carb ... I've personally chosen to clarify unsalted butter, so all that's left is pure fat.

Yes, the program is "hard" but it makes it a little easier to think of it as a learning process. Especially the no-cheese and cream days. And the green veggie days ... force us to look beyond a plain lettuce salad (with few carbs and no fiber and little else).

I think it's a bit of a "grounding" experience ... as you said, makes a person really aware of what they're eating.

Take care, and remember to have some fun with it too

Doreen
  #51   ^
Old Sun, Nov-25-01, 16:11

Default thanks doreen

that helps. thank you.
i did read your answer about the butter issue, but i'm seeing it again, and didn't know if i missed something. i ate 3 egg whites, not realizing the distribution and a piece of bacon (not cured). if i stay on top of it, i'll be fine today. btw, coffee w/ no cream is not good for me. i tried it 2 days in a row, and have decided not to bother anymore, unless it's a regular lc day.
i know i'm supposed to be having fun, but at this point it's a lesson. thanks again, do!
brenda
  #52   ^
Old Sun, Nov-25-01, 20:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Default lessons have their value too....

... or so I find.

This project 'recycle' is great for me, the awareness of what's actually being eaten, the need for more discipline (though it is a lot of work I'd rather not be doing) is the only thing that has ever really worked for me if I wanted actual weight loss.

A great lesson and reminder.

PS: MY memory (though admittedly failing now that I have passed the midlife magic mark ... don't go there) has
- the butter valid on no-dairy days only as ghee or clarified butter, also known as butter oil (agreed upon as a 'rule' of sorts by the available participants),
- eggs left out of carb counts but important for fat counts (whites only on Stillman days, not limited; yolks saved for calorie boost days, no limit specified) and
- the 5 gram margin referring to condiments and seasonings within moderation (lemon juice, hot sauce, etc.), especially on Stillman days which have no other carbs except for the optional cup of lettuce or psyllium.
- Coffee carbs were counted or not in the total report for the day ("if a coffee drinker, keep drinking it") but the 25g from green veggies were a specific target, get 25 grams from green veggies , not get 25g carbs that day total (and definitely not from fruits like avocadoes or tomatoes), no more no less if at all possible from the green veggies .

All this can be interpolated from the rules in the project template (and identical in the spreadsheet if you have it).

Choose which works for you, but I rather recommend not worrying about the trace carbs in egg whites and yolks, and moderate amounts of allowed seasonings, condiments and coffee. Makes things a lot easier to calculate, coincidentally.

PS: try a low-acid and/or half-decaf coffee mix when drinking it black; helped my stomach lining...
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 13:11
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

SOURCES OF DRY CURD COTTAGE CHEESE

I checked the Specific Carbohydrate Diet Resource Library (SCD is used to treat chronic bowel diseases) .... Anyhoooooooo, dry curd cottage cheese is a mainstay of that diet too.

They have a huge webpage of links, company names, brands and stores throughout Canada and the US, and Internationally, which carry DCCC.

Please check it out here .http://www.scdiet.org/8resources/dcccsources.html

Doreen
  #54   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 13:29

Default dccc

Doreen -
pickin' up j at 12: 45, then on my way to "wild oats" in berkeley. thanks for doing the research for me. also - great site you found. regards
bren
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 17:33
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

By the way, I have been doing this project, I started Monday. I've just been too chicken to post a study journal here. I have been posting my progress in Elihnig's Goal. I'm afraid of the critics who will blast my ketchup addiction . Really I'm trying to have it very seldom. Spicy mustard has been my new best friend, especially on lean protein days.

Too shy,

Elihnig
  #56   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-01, 13:36

Default protein shakes on stillman

hi all. hope everyone is enjoying the project as much as I am..
I have a questions, though....
can I have a no carb/fat protein drink on stillman days? I'm really starting to have a hard time staying full, and thought one of these might help.
thanks in advance.
Brenda
  #57   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-01, 13:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Unhappy protein shakes?

Nope!

Sorry, Brenda, but I do believe only "real" food on the controlled (Lean Protein, Calorie Boost) days, except for the permitted moderate amounts of sweeteners and seasonings. That's an important part of the controls of the Project itself.

More meat! { an e-friend of mine says: Meat, Heat 'n' Eat! }