Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 10:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/190/165
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Naked coffee

Doreen- I'm with you in that I originally fell in love with that dark, black stuff years and years ago. Started adding "clothes" in the form of cream and sugar, then went black again, then light, when I started LC-ing a year ago, I actually was drinking the stuff straight! Then, a month ago I added cream and sweetener to 'pad' my carb count. Whew...... now, I am going back to basic black so that I can participate in this study and not have withdrawals a couple days a week. So, to sum up, it's naked coffee for me - I will have a heavily cream laden coffee on Christmas!!!

I guess we're all tough enough for black, coffee, that is.

I am actually looking forward to this study. Been busy looking for recipes and planning out my menus so that it will be easier to keep up with all you pros out there!

Lorrie
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 23:31
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

hi Lorrie,

I'm so glad you're joining us! Yer off to a good start, to plan menus etc in advance. Do you use fitday.com? I found it really helpful for menu planning when I did the project in August, because I could see in advance where I needed to increase the protein or fat, or cut back the carb portions, etc. It was a lot easier than finding out on the days where you're required to eat a minimum amount ... that you've only had in half the day's requirement, and it's nearly bedtime!

I think I might start next Sunday, 18 November. So Fri, Sat & Sun will be regular LC days, and Mon to Thurs will be the dairy-free, meat only or meat and veg. days. Oh wait ... the Stillman lean protein days permit dry curd cottage cheese. Not sure if I want to go there or not.

Doreen
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 01:34

BF:
Default good suggestion

Quote:
Originally posted by doreen T
Do you use fitday.com? I found it really helpful for menu planning when I did the project in August

Doreen, what a great idea! I would have never even thought of doing that. Live and learn.

Lorrie
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 17:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Default tools and tips...

Quote:
Oh wait ... the Stillman lean protein days permit dry curd cottage cheese. Not sure if I want to go there

Awwww, you don't HAVE to eat that squeeky stuff...

Quote:
Do you use fitday.com? I found it really helpful...

Me, too, when I could get at it (can't always be online). Another very useful tool is the combination of a small pocket notebook (way cheap at the $ store) and one's experience at estimating portion sizes. I'd carry it everywhere and jot down date, quantity and what I ate.

I'd use FitDay to confirm what I could in terms of counts, and at the end of the day, use either Fitday or my Mastercook sw (for the recipes I rummaged up for shared dinners, etc.) to tot up the day's info for reportintg.

The totting and reporting is key to this, a LOT of work but key. Amazing how much stuff (i.e., carbs and calories in my case) slipped by me if I didn't track everything "religiously".

Last edited by IslandGirl : Sun, Nov-11-01 at 17:43.
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 18:50
Forum Founder

BF:
Exclamation

Judi, have you thought of using fitday as Lorrie and I were thinking of doing ... to plan your menus in ADVANCE?? Use the arrow thingies next to the date at the top of the page ... you can plan the whole 4-week shebang (ya, right ) .. But truthfully .. I think that's what helped the most when I did the project in August ... sitting down, plugging menus in a couple days ahead of time .. and I could see before any damage was done ... oops, too many carbs ... oops, need more protein ... ooops, better add some more fat here ... otherwise, you end up discovering you overate, or worse .. UNDERate on the days you really need to be getting the extra food in. Especially since the Stillman days have such an appetite-suppressing effect ... I don't know about the others, but personally, I anticipate a real challenge here!!

Doreen
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 18:58
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Oh wait ... the Stillman lean protein days permit dry curd cottage cheese. Not sure if I want to go there

I'm doing a "Stillman" today and bought some dry cottage cheese last night. It's usually chicken breasts and white fish for me, but I wanted to try something different. I tossed it with salt, lots of pepper and a few kalonji seeds. It wasn't that bad at all.

I also made what could be loosely described as a soup with lean ground beef, cumin seeds, ground coriander, turmeric and garam masala sprinkled with the curds.

I remembered having a raw beef dish called 'kitfo' in an Ethiopian restaurant. Part of the plate was dry curd cheese that had been dry roasted until golden. Pretty durned good. Think I'll find out how to make it.

Karen
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 19:20
Forum Founder

BF:
Smile Mmm...

That's what I was missing ... some creativity!

Last time, I made lowfat, lowcarb, hi-pro tortilla things, with egg-substitute "tortilla" and seasoned ground turkey (less fat) ... maybe the dry curd could be processed with a wee dribble of lemon juice (permitted) for some kind of ersatz sour cream topping.

I should experiment this week too, before I get started next Sunday.

Doreen
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-01, 04:15

BF:
Default getting the facts

k, a question....... on a lean protein day.... carb count is at 25g, right? Is that ECC? or do we count in the fiber?

That's all for now.......

Lorrie

(edit) Stillman: is strictly that.....lean protein and basically no veggies (no carbs)?
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-01, 13:31
Forum Founder

BF:
Smile hi Lorrie

The Stillman - lean protein days are just that ... lean, lowest fat protein you can find. Lots of it, and little or nothing else. No carbs, no added fat, except a very few seasonings as listed, and one cup of lettuce. Clear tea or coffee in limited amounts. Water, water, water. These are essentially FASTING days ... a protein fast.

The calorie boost days follow immediately after each of the two protein-fasts. You must consume a minimum of (10x wt) in calories, no dairy products, and 25g total carbs (not ECC) in the form of green vegetables (not orange, yellow, purple or white!). That also means no carb-containing meats or proteins, such as deli meats, ham, sausage, certain shellfish, liver, nuts (including coconut or almond milk), tofu. No carb-containing fats, such as bottled salad dressings, cream cheese (dairy), nut butter. Last time a 5g maximum carbs was permitted to include coffee, 1 or 2 eggs, and 2 or 3 pkts of artificial sweetener. The purpose of the calorie boost is basically to make up for any caloric defecit from the fast .. to prevent the metabolism from shutting down into starvation mode. And to maintain the cleansing nature of the fast, by limiting foods to proteins, fats and green veggies.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, to restate Judi's post on the matter:

Day 1: regular LC program
Day 2: Stillman - lean protein fast, minmal fat and carbs
Day 3: cleansing calorie boost - eat at least (10x wt) calories, no dairy, 25g total carbs from only green vegetables
Day 4: repeat protein fast of Day 2
Day 5: repeat cleansing calorie boost of Day 3
Day 6: regular LC program
Day 7: regular LC program

Copy the list of permitted foods from Judi's post on the first page of this thread and print it out. Some excellent ideas and suggestions are contained in other message threads right here in this Group projects forum, from the Study done in August. I highly recommend printing those out too. Click on:The list of green vegetables is especially helpful, and the nitpicking was all good-natured and friendly!

Know which day of the cycle you're supposed to be on, and plan in advance, plan in advance, plan in advance. And most of all, this is a FUN project that I'm hoping will jolt the fat cells into submission.

Doreen
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 04:14

BF:
Default knowledge is power

Quote:
And most of all, this is a FUN project that I'm hoping will jolt the fat cells into submission.

Doreen

Domination, baby! Our cells stand no chance!

Thanks, Do! Now I feel like I am almost ready to begin. I have started working on menus, just need to plug them into fitday. I really feel that will be the most help.

Plan, plan and planning in advance........

Lor
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 18:34
Registered Member

Default lorrie

Did you get my note/post about the spreadsheet? Your PM box is full and when I tried to post here the other day, there was a system crash (this end) and it looks like my post went off into the Ether.

ANYWAY I can't send you the spreadsheet without an email addy.

Pls go to my webpage (either the www logo below or click on my red, white and blue special signature image) and send me your email address, ok? I'll send the spreadsheet.
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 18:37
Registered Member

Default FitDay orrrrrrrr.....

Do, I do my special recipe development and menu planning and counts tracking mostly through MasterCook at home (poor online connection), and I use FitDay while I'm at the office for quick checks and sums (no MasterCook at the office).

Somewhere in between fixing my computer or working (day) or working with the co-op, I'm showering, cooking or sleeping.
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-01, 21:43

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default hey all!!

hi ya'll - i'm still planning on starting next friday and i'm getting pretty excited. a few questions, por favor.
1. where's the spreadsheet? i know i'm having a brainless day, but i can't seem to find it anywhere.
2. i thought i read somewhere that a couple of people were starting early. true? i was actually praying for this so i could get some eating ideas.
3. what's dry curd cottage cheese? i'm in california and to tell you the truth, i've never heard of it. is it in the dairy case? should i just try a health food store? does it taste like cottage cheese, because if it does, i'm not sure i can stomach it.
4. when we do 10x's weight, should i weigh myself that morning, or just once a week and go with that?
5. last one for now, promise, if ya'll make menus ahead of time, would you be willing to share prior to the day? i'm not trying to leach, but the more help i get with this the better.
thanks ya'll
brenda
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-01, 01:50
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
1. where's the spreadsheet? i know i'm having a brainless day, but i can't seem to find it anywhere.
It's not posted anywhere here .. Judi (IslandGirl) developed a spreadsheet that she used for tracking her progress in the previous study. I'm sure if you beg and grovel nicely, she might send a copy to you.
Quote:
2. i thought i read somewhere that a couple of people were starting early. true? i was actually praying for this so i could get some eating ideas.
I will be starting this Sunday, 18 November. And I think Judi mentioned she might start on Monday. For some ideas, take a look at our study journals here in this forum from August. In that project, the Stillman-lean protein day was Day 4 of the cycle, so you can read those for menu ideas. That's what I plan to do .. The "calorie boost" days in that project really WERE calorie boosts .... 13 x the weight in calories ... which was extremely hard to do after the Stillman day. If you are like most of us were, those protein fasts really blunt the appetite.
Quote:
3. what's dry curd cottage cheese? i'm in california and to tell you the truth, i've never heard of it. is it in the dairy case? should i just try a health food store? does it taste like cottage cheese, because if it does, i'm not sure i can stomach it.
Dry curd cottage cheese is about as appetizing as it sounds. That being said, when desperate to add some variety to such a restricted menu as Stillman, even I might succumb to finding a way to stuff it in. I think Karen and Rachel had some creative ideas for using it. Unlike the creamed cottage chese which comes in a tub with a lid ... dry curd is sold in a soft plastic package, and the texture is more like ricotta. There is no "cream" on it, hence the "dry" curd. It is very low fat, usually 0.1% or 0.5%.
Quote:
4. when we do 10x's weight, should i weigh myself that morning, or just once a week and go with that?
Last time around, I only weighed once a week, and used that. Think about it ... even if you lose 2 lbs between Day 3 and Day 5 ... it's only 20 calories, and besides, 10x is the bare minimum you should be striving for. I would urge you to try to eat that amount on all days, and more on the "calorie boost" days following the protein fasts. 10x your current weight is only 1330 calories. Combined with the Stillman days, you run the risk of averaging below 1200 calories a day, which could put you into starvation mode ... this will really work against your weight loss efforts.
Quote:
5. last one for now, promise, if ya'll make menus ahead of time, would you be willing to share prior to the day? i'm not trying to leach, but the more help i get with this the better.
Do check out our journals from the summer project, there's some good ideas there.

Speaking of which ... I'd better plan my groceries and do some shopping this weekend ... Monday will be the first Stillman day for me

Doreen
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-01, 12:57
Registered Member

Talking good answers ....

Well said, Do!

Meanwhile, Brenda, if you PM me with your email address (or click on the www logo below and email directly via the link on that webpage), I will send you the spreadsheet.

Ta for now!

PS: Day 1 for me, tracking tracking.....