Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-05, 02:18

Plan: Keto
Stats: 410/319/260 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 61%

I will absolutely not eat horse, dog or cat. I just can't. They are pets, our friends. When I first moved to Sweden I was always questioning the lunch meat, because they do have a couple made from horse meat.

I don't want to eat any bug or insects either.

I am not so interested in eating brains and eggs again ... something my grandmother talked me into.

Wouldn't mind eating again: bear, smoked eel, turkey nuts, rabbit, escargot, squirrel.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Jul-05-05, 11:40

Plan: Atkins as a loose guide
Stats: 237/149/135 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:
Progress: 86%
Default My yuck foods.....

Unfortunately, I'm not too picky, which is why I gained so much weight in the first place......

I will eat pretty much any and all fruits and veggies. Muscle meat is fine. Finfish is fine and I'll eat crawfish (I'm a native New Orleanian, so mudbugs are in my blood!). Shrimp is fine IF it has the grit line removed - I won't eat it's "poop shute". Crab is fine EXCEPT soft-shelled crab. Ever see someone eating a soft-shelled crab po-boy? Looks just like the critter that jumps outta the guy's chest in the original "Alien" movie. Shudder...................

I will NOT eat any type of organ meats or skin.

Two of my BIGGEST "yuck, no!" foods are pudding and yogurt. It's like having a mouthful of SNOT! Can't get past that texture.........
  #63   ^
Old Tue, Jul-05-05, 17:58

Plan: General LC
Stats: 318/213.2/185 Female 5ft 6.5
BF:
Progress: 79%

^ and yougurt is good for you. Speaking of pudding and yogurt and stuff, Tapioca has to be the MOST discusting texture and taste item ever
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Jul-05-05, 18:00
7 yrs and counting!

Plan: Vegan/Crossfit
Stats: 285/212/199 Female 5'7
BF:33.4%
Progress: 85%

Liver....i can't stand the smell of it..ugh....how would i get it into my mouth?..i really wouldn't eat any organs...other than the good ol' muscle..hehe...no tongues...feet..brain..etc. ESPECIALLY not testicles...LOL...no matter what you call them....rocky mountain oysters to be polite...NO THANKS...UGH....LOL
Also i dont think i could eat any kind of bug...oh god i would have to kill myself afterwards because i'd have a nervous breakdown.
And once i ate menudo...and i thought i was going to throw up on myself...dear god...ugh it was awful..the texture.

Last edited by Samantha22 : Tue, Jul-05-05 at 18:06.
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Jul-05-05, 18:08
7 yrs and counting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiNiki
I despise jello, I had to have surgey in the fifth grade and I was on a semi-liquid diet for five days before, nothing but broth and flippin jello, also scrapple it is weird mystery meat type thing my ex-husband and his family used to eat

Where is he from? I live in Delaware...and most people unless they are from DE or MD have never heard of scrapple..i absolutely love it..but its got too many fillers to eat on LC.
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Jul-05-05, 22:36

Plan: between plans again
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 0%

parsnips
  #67   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 00:00

Plan: A lifestyle change
Stats: 270/248/186 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha22
Where is he from? I live in Delaware...and most people unless they are from DE or MD have never heard of scrapple..i absolutely love it..but its got too many fillers to eat on LC.

He's from NC, I believe that his mother is from MD so maybe that's where the tradition came from. I tried so hard to eat, I just couldn't get past the consistency
  #68   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 00:25

Plan: No grains, no sugar.
Stats: 001/045/525 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiNiki
He's from NC, I believe that his mother is from MD so maybe that's where the tradition came from. I tried so hard to eat, I just couldn't get past the consistency

If you knew what was in that stuff, you'd probably be grateful you couldn't eat it. Here's a common scrapple recipe:

Quote:
Cool weather conjures up thoughts of hog killin' and scrapple makin'. After the hams and bacon have been put down in cure and the sausage is all ground and the lard rendered and the feets pickled and the snouts soused, you take what's left (the scraps) and make scrapple. Now, I have seen a lot of recipes for making scrapple. Most say to start with a shoulder or some such good piece of meat. Blasphemy! Everybody knows there are better ways to use a shoulder and such wanton waste would not have been tolerated back when times were tight and folks had to make the most of what they had. I have also had some Pennsylvania scrapple that was way too strong in liver. Here's how we used to make it back when I was a youngun.

Ingredients:
1 Grandmother to make sure everything is done "just so"
1 Mother to do most of the preparations. Overseen by ingredient #1
2 Children, big enough to stir the pot but not smart enough to be somewhere else
Hog heads (number depending upon how many hogs were killed)
About 1/4 of the livers (the rest having been made into liver pudding or fried)
Hearts
Various and sundry other parts of the pig not used to make other delicacies

Salt
Sage
Pepper
Maybe a little celery salt to highlight the flavors (optional)
Stone ground white cornmeal

The feature attraction is the cleaned head. Remove the eyeballs (the brains were removed on killing day and scrambled with eggs the next morning), break the head(s) into manageable pieces with a cleaver, and cook them down in a kettle of boiling water 'til the meat is easily pulled. Skim the fat from the water and save. Pull all of the meat and fat (separate) from the heads and chop up the chunks. Cook the liver and heart and whatever else wasn't used in other delicacies and grind them up. Get a tote-sack full of corn meal and keep it handy. Put the meat, heart, and other scraps (except liver) back into the simmering kettle of stock. Add liver until you can taste it but the liver flavor does not predominate. You can put some of the fat in if you wish. Add salt and celery salt - the cornmeal will take a lot of salt so you get this mixture fairly salty. Stir. Taste. Add sage and pepper to taste - not too much, now. Stir. Taste. Pass the spoon around so everybody can pass judgment. When it's right, you should taste salt first, then liver - but not too strong, rich pork meat flavor and a hint of sage. When everybody (especially ingredient #1) is agreed that it couldn't possibly be better, bring out the cornmeal and kids.

Now comes the hard part! Slowly stir in the cornmeal with a long wooden spoon - not too much at a time, now. Keep stirring. Add cornmeal. Keep stirring. Add cornmeal. Keep stirring. As the mixture starts to get thick, add some of the liquid fat that had been skimmed earlier. Keep stirring. Not thick enough yet. Add a little more corn meal. Keep stirring. A little more fat until there is a slight sheen to the surface but no visible oil. Keep stirring.

"Just where do you think you're going? Get back there and stir that pot!! "

As the mixture thickens and you fine tune the ratio of fat to cornmeal, it will start to separate from the sides of the kettle. This is a good thing 'cause the kids are about tuckered. Ladle it into lightly greased, shallow, rectangular or square tin pans to a thickness of about 2 1/2 inches. Be careful - it's still hot! Start slapping it down with the palm of your hand. Slap it like you mean it! SLAP IT! If you are doing it right, your hand should be beet red, sore and covered with a light coat of pig oil. Good. Now let the pans cool, cover with waxed paper and put them in the frigidare or cold pantry.

Next morning, remove scrapple from the pan and slice about 3/8" thick. Lightly flour both sides. Heat about 1/4" of bacon grease in an iron skillet 'til it just starts to smoke. Fry until outside starts to crisp but the inside is still soft. Drain briefly on a paper towel. Serve with Log Cabin syrup and eggs. There's nothing else like it in this world!!

This recipe is scary looking. It's kind of like pork fat with some pork and liver and corn meal mixed in, deep fried. There are people who love scrapple, and if I ate pork, maybe I'd try it one day and love it myself. But it sounds awful, although given the choice between it and eggs scrambled with pig brains, I'd have to think about it.
  #69   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 01:15

Plan: A lifestyle change
Stats: 270/248/186 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikdriver
If you knew what was in that stuff, you'd probably be grateful you couldn't eat it. Here's a common scrapple recipe:

This recipe is scary looking. It's kind of like pork fat with some pork and liver and corn meal mixed in, deep fried. There are people who love scrapple, and if I ate pork, maybe I'd try it one day and love it myself. But it sounds awful, although given the choice between it and eggs scrambled with pig brains, I'd have to think about it.

This recipe just reconfirms how wise a choice it was to end that marriage
  #70   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 09:05

Plan: Atkins as a loose guide
Stats: 237/149/135 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:
Progress: 86%
Default Yuuurrrpp!

Quote regarding scrapple:
"There's nothing else like it in this world!!"

Well, THAT'S an understatement.........

#71   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 09:29

BF:

Well, I was disappointed that I didn't know what scrapple was, but now I can say I am glad I have not met it in a dark alley or anywhere else for that matter. Ack!
  #72   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 10:27
7 yrs and counting!

LOL...now i feel like the wierdo....i miss it! Its so good if you fry it real crispy in little squares...its alot like corned beef hash without the potatoes...and tastes much better and much less salty. HAHA..you guys dont know what you're missin!
  #73   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 10:57

BF:

Okay, maybe I should rephrase that ... lol Now that I know what it is, my previous post applies.

If I had been offered it before, I probably would have tried it ... no problem.
  #74   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 15:50

Plan: General LC
Stats: 318/213.2/185 Female 5ft 6.5
BF:
Progress: 79%

in russia we take fatty meat and "parts" .... you boil it to form a really fat broth, and then you cut up the meat into pieces and poor the broth over it....... once its refrigirated its like this meat jello, Its actually really good ... kind of reminds me of the scrapple stuff w/out the cornmeal and frying.

these are the foods i wouldnt ever want to even lay my eyes on:....

DISGUSTING DISHES FROM AROUND THE WORLD!

Globe-trotting Weekly World News correspondents never miss a chance to sample the local fare when they travel to exotic foreign countries to bring you exciting stories. And along the way they've encountered many disgusting foods that are considered "delicacies" in other lands.

Below are some of the stomach-turning dishes that make foreigners' mouths water -- but be forewarned. You might not want to read this story over dinner:

BULL PENIS -- It's no B.S. This lip-smacking delicacy is hailed as an aphrodisiac in China.

ROASTED CICADA LARVAE -- Greeks dating back to Aristotle have sung the praises of this delicacy. For the most satisfying flavor, larvae must be caught just as they're about to transform.

BLOOD STEW -- Known as diniguan in the Philippines, this gourmet treat made from a pig's heart and blood is sometimes euphemistically called "Chocolate Pork."

DRUNKEN SHRIMP -- Basically, live shrimp swimming in a bowl of rice wine. Chinese folks catch the critters with chopsticks and bite the yummy heads off.

DRIED PURPLE SEAWEED -- Dubbed dulse by Canadians, this dish gets its flavor from small stones and flotsam entangled in the rotting seaweed.

HONEY ANTS -- Ants are force-fed honey until they swell to twice their normal size, then are gobbled down by eager Aussies.

MAGGOT CHEESE -- Folks in Sardinia leave cheese out covered with cheesecloth so flies lay their eggs in it, wait for the maggots to hatch, then spread the resulting mess on bread and chow it down -- including the live, wriggling maggots.

POTTED HOUGH -- Similar to head cheese, which is made from the boiled head of an animal, this Scottish delicacy is made from the other end of the beast, generally a cow.

SEAL FLIPPER PIE -- Canadians bake the flippers along with diced pork fat and onions.

FERMENTED SQUID GUTS -- The Japanese adore this dish, known as shiokara.

SNAKE BLOOD -- Harvested from king cobras, this beverage is revered in Thailand for its medicinal powers.

STINKHEADS -- Eskimos chop the heads off salmon, bury them in the ground for a summer, then dig them up and dig in. Beyond the unique taste, the foul-smelling dish has a hallucinogenic effect.

URINE -- While bovine urine is highly regarded as a sedative in India, yogis also like to gulp down the human kind. Gandhi started each day with a shot of his own.

GULL-STUFFED WALRUS -- Another Eskimo staple, this dish is created by gutting a walrus and stuffing it with dead seagulls. Bury the walrus under the tundra for three years, giving it time to properly age, then voila -- it's time for a feast!
  #75   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 16:54

Plan: PSMF 1/1/5
Stats: 268/228/155 Male 66"
BF:48/39/12
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha22

I thought scrapple was a drink...don't they have commercials with talking bottles of scrapple