Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 10:07

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Don't hate me because I'm thin.

Gwillson
I'm 36 years old, no kids, former anorexic and a size 4 (Dockers). Don't hate me cause I'm thin (you know like the saying don't hate me cause I'm beautiful ha ha)...I'm just posting to let you know that sometimes it doesn't matter so much if you get there, it's how you feel when you get there that matters. So many people say I'm 'there' already and I still don't FEEL it even though what I wear and what I see tell me differently. Then there is always the fear of leaving 'there" once you get "there'(your ultimate goal). I consider myself on maintanance, but if I ever lose weight I can't say I'm upset. And yes, I still have FAT days and I still go through periods of not eating much and feeling bad about myself. Try not to focus so much on if you will ever get there. Getting there does not leave you problemfree either. Focus on the progress, the process and love yourself today as you are.
Sounds like you are doing that - that's great.

Oh, and also - I hate to say this, I know you think alot "if only I could lose that weight...things would be different" or something along those lines. I hate to say this but half of that is a lie. The ONLY thing that would be different is YOU. You might be happier, you might feel differently and kinder to others, you might have alot of changes, but be careful with those hopes especially if it leads to thought like "everything" would be different. I don't know if you go there with your thinking or not - but no, everything will NOT be different. In fact everything ELSE remains exactly the same. Many people achieve goal weight and crash into depression when they don't get that raise (too), or find the perfect job (too) or their kids still drive them bananas (too) or their husband still cheats on them (despite the weightlosss).
What I'm trying to say is that whatever problems you have when too heavy (outside of medical/health) will be right there waiting for you still when you are thin. Your ability to DEAL with them may improve, but losing the weight doesn't change everything.
---Now I KNOW you know all of this, I hate to lecture, but I just had to chime on in. I hope you forgive me, I'm just trying to help you - I think you are on the right track - we all (even me) have moments where we wish we were different.

It's important to count our blessings though. We are here and alive and okay. That means alot.
N

Last edited by nsmith4366 : Wed, Nov-07-01 at 10:13.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 11:07

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default thanks nssmith

You have great words of wisdom. I guess I have never been to this point in my life ever. What i mean is, I have been on many many "diets" and lost weight until I reached goal BUT once I got there i just went back to eating the way I used to and then when I jumped on the scale "poof" i would be up 10 pounds. So I would blow it and gain all the weight back. Im finding maintaince a bit of a struggle...believe or not...lol, simply because I am afraid to eat too many carbs. So my goal weight initial was 145 and I revamped it to 140. This morning I weighed 136. Now im still in a good zone for my weight however I need to learn how to add the carbs without gaining weight. Its a tricky situation..lol Thaks for the advice.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 14:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/210/145
BF:
Progress: 7%
Talking LOL

This is great! I always look in the windows and wonder who's following me? Then I realize its my behind!!!! It just takes awhile to catch-up to the rest of me!!! I also realize how short I really am - I hate that part alot!

I'm working on that extra baggage behind me - don't know how to overcome the shortness - maybe when the width lessens, the height will lenghten!!!!!

Charyl
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 19:16

Plan: Atkin's Diet
Stats: 243/216/105
BF:
Progress: 20%
Cool Show biz

That's Hollywood for ya Homegirl!!!!!!!!!!!! They have all the Secrets we could only wish to obtain. I think they have a special magic potion that makes em beautiful!!!!!!!! (ha ha)

Jessica
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 19:46

Stats: 135/128/110
BF:
Progress: 28%
Thumbs up I can relate...

I am 5'3 and 135, when I look at myself in the mirror I see someone who looks alright...The part that I most want to change is my stomach/hip/thigh area, I have always been "pear shaped" I suppose the term is. Clothed I look OK, but all I can see is my tummy and I think of how it looks UN-clothed, lol and I know there is a lot of fat I need to lose even though it may not appear to be that way at first glance lol. I wear a size 10ish and I remember when I was a size 4 sooo long ago lol, which is more proportionate for my height and bone structure. I have medium bone structure, I don't ever expect to be "skinny" as the media portrays, but I know that I don't feel healthy and I am tired of the constant battle with food and trying to starve myself to look better...With low carb diet, I hope to lose some of the fat I have and get the motivation to really exercise, when I worked out (riding horses which was my life, cant really afford now) I know that I felt much better than I do now, and I want that feeling again
Thanks for listening to me vent hehe I am new here, and starting Atkins this coming weekend when I have the money to revamp my food in the apartment, right now, it's carb plentiful *sigh* lol
<hugs to everyone>
Amy
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 10:11

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

My butt and thighs with my nose and chin roll a close second.

Scarey what "image" does to you. You can put on a few inches here and there and find more generously cut clothes to cover them. You think a little isn't too bad. Then one day, there is the "image" that hits you like a brick between the eyes.

For me it was a photo from a gathering with friends a while back.

I was sitting on the bar stool in their kitchen, and my friend caught a mostly backwards shot of how nicely my butt could make the top of a chair disappear. I was shocked and in tears when I saw it.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 10:30
Registered Member

Stats: 215/210/145
BF:
Progress: 7%
Unhappy Ugh - pictures!!!

Angela: I know where you are coming from girl! Pictures are my worst enemy and I so totally avoid them! Its really ashame though, cuz I have missed out on some great shots with my boys and won't be able to look back on in the years to come. I'm hoping this weight loss will solve that problem - I want them to have something to look back on after I'm gone and to show their grand kids, etc. Well............ enough whining!

It looks like you've done great on the program so far - I've lost 5-6 bls on my first week doing this LCing thing - so far I'm loving it!

Take care,

Charyl
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 10:43

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default The photo thing

I rarely look at photos of myself at events. I always feel so much better than I look and I just can't face the discrepancy.

Deeply painful.
N
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-01, 19:05

Stats: 195.5/183/130
BF:
Progress:
Default mirror mirror../homegirl

I too have the pot belly, however, mine turns the corner before I do. I also have the battle scars (strech marks) and it seems like I took the scars for the whole war regiment. But who's complaining...I had my day.
I try to avoid the mirrors, but when I come upon one..the belly is the major area of focus then the breasts. I have always had big breasts even when I was 118lbs in college. Now I'm barely contained in a DD and I am hoping upon all hopes that I can get down to 155lbs by 2/2002 so that I can go under the knife.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-01, 09:37
Registered Member

Stats: 213/213/145
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Mirror to Mirror

I happen upon my reflection and look upon the overall picture - and am generally not happy about it.

I instantly see the "frumpy" new me and want to hide.

The next mirror (as you know the world is wrought with them), I focus on my big butt and extra wide shelves that are hips. I reflexively straighten my posture and take another peek - still the same. And notice my belly over hang.

Moving on I find the next reflection and notice my "big mama's house" arms. Whoa, what on earth? How did those get there? I had been so busy focusing on my BUTT that I didn't notice the parts that had previously still worked?! Time for a few stiff drinks I say.

I firmly want to blame the fact I didn't have full length mirrors for 11 years (Just the bathroom type where you see the top of the breasts and face). I only had to see my whole reflection when I went to work and it was a full frontal glimpse - which was a bit deciving.

I move and my new place has longer mirrors and one full length - this was a rude awakening. Now I had full view mirrors YUCK and I had to find my first "fat lady" job. I always found job searching easy - now I know what the greater part of the people have had to deal with and I am SORRY for any superior feelings that I ever had. Who in the HHHLLLL did I think I was anyway?

Please forgive me my previous sins and wish me luck in my weight loss venture -- I don't expect to by 36 23 35 again - I just want to be in a size 12.

Wow - I guess I should write in my journal huh?

Take care and best wishes to my new friends of the Forum.

Mary
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-01, 17:08

Plan: Atkins Diet w/ a twist
Stats: 200/177/140
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default My side

I always look at myself sideways then I turn to the other side (like its going to look any smaller!)
Its funny how I will never look after I get out of the shower, but the second I put the clothes on- its ok to check out the profile.
I don't bother with the back view- but maybe in a couple of more months I will start looking !!
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-01, 17:53

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 164/130/132
BF:
Progress: 106%
Default Is that me????

Oh Boy----every morning I stand in front of my mirror after dressing ----- Have I diguised the excess??? Side-winder--- Bubble butt and a bit of belly----How much can I suck in and how many hours can I hold it there?!? (Ha Ha)