Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-04-05, 11:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 297/294/200 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 3%
Default Eat Fat, Lose fat by Mary Enig

Anyone trying her coconut diet? I've been reading it and I'm gonna try it starting this week end.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-11-05, 06:52
Registered Member

Plan: Warrior LC
Stats: 222/201/191 Male 180 cm
BF:30%/12%/12%
Progress: 68%

The only coconut diet I know off is the one that allows you to eat everything.....except coconuts
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-11-05, 17:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 297/294/200 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 3%

umm no.

She has you eating alot of coconut oil, milk and meat, as well as organic as much as possible. No sugars or flour, a few sprouted grains (like Ezekial bread) and limiting artificial sweetners and preservatives. More natural diet. She has you eating alot of natural saturated fats, too. Like I said, it's higher carb than Atkins, but usually less than 100g, and high fat/ adequate protein.
She's also big on raw milk and cheeses. I managed to find raw cheese and the guy at the health food place is going to start carrying raw milk soon.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-16-05, 14:43

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 153/150/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 23%

I got the book a month or so ago, and really like it. I found coconut oil at WalMart, and am assuming it's the "copra" kind and not virgin, as it is not very expensive. I've been using it for a few weeks, and decided I'd splurge for some good stuff mail-order. Enig recommended the "Tropical Traditions" oil, so last week I ordered a gallon of expeller-pressed and a gallon of the naturally-separated oil that has all the coconut flavor. It was expenive, but I hope worth it! Haven't gotten it yet.

Enig does allow much more carbs that Atkins, and even allows a small amount natural sugar like maple. I think these are on her "maintenance" type plan, for those that can tolerate it. Some grains are allowed, and are "soaked" (fermented) before-hand somehow. I'm sticking with Atkins at about 40 or less carbs, and am using coconut oil and butter exclusively now.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-20-05, 01:23
Registered Member

Plan: Low Glycemic Load
Stats: 260/228/160 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 32%

Firesong- I will be interested in hearing how this goes for you. I sure wish I had a source for raw milk but at least I have been able to find a variety of wonderful raw milk cheeses.

I had the book from the library but had to return it. It was very interesting. Over the last 2 months I have already incorporated some of her principles into my diet including raw milk cheeses, bone broths, coconut products, soaked grains, limiting artificial sweeteners and in general eating more natural, whole foods. I have started losing again and feel good so I will probably buy my own copy of the book and follow the diet more closely.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-20-05, 05:16

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Sounds interesting. I'll check it out. Unfortunately, I cannot stand the smell of coconut oil but I love everything else coconut LOL. But any diet plan that calls for eating lots of natural food, even if it's high saturated fat, is good in my book.

Serre
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-20-05, 14:55

BF:

UPS delivered my virgin coconut oil three days ago, and the taste is awesome! I put a generous blob in my green tea in the morning, and it is scrumptuous.

I'm trying to get a source of raw milk, too. MY DH's friend's son works at a small dairy, but apparently they got in trouble by selling someone raw milk. Some ~!*&%! turned them in. From reading Enig's book, it seems that raw milk products and coconut are the key ingredients to her diet.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-20-05, 15:03
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 157/153/150 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

I read her book, and tried adding coconut oil to my diet, but I started getting headaches. When I cut out the coconut oil, the headaches went away. Hmm... I decided that I must not do well with coconut oil, and so I tried eating raw butter from grass fed cows instead, as she says that is a great source of saturated fat. That was yummy, and for a while I was losing weight, but then my weight just jumped up by about five pounds over a few days! Yikes!! I think it was too much saturated fat. Once I cut back to just one or two tablespoons of butter a day, I lost the extra weight. So I think maybe that aspect of her plan is not for me. I like most of her advice on food though - I'm a big fan of dairy, so I try to eat mostly raw, grass-fed stuff as she advises.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-21-05, 05:15

BF:

When I ordered the virgin coconut oil, I also bought a small book on it's uses and benefits. There was alot of scientific backing and references in it, and almost seemed like a condensed Eat Fat Lose Fat book. Anyway, it said some people have to start coconut oil slowly, like a teaspoon a day and working up to the desired 3 Tbsps. What I think they said was that reactions to the oil are actually symptoms of detox- your body getting rid of nasties. I'd try it again really slowly, because the reported benefits of the oil are pretty impressive, and worth the attempt to find out.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-21-05, 13:05
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 157/153/150 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

Thanks for the advice, Beth. It could definitely be that I added in too much too quickly. Maybe I will try it again. In the meantime, enjoy yours!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-02-05, 06:04

Plan: Eat Fat, Lose Fat; NT
Stats: 215/215/160 Female 68 inches
BF:- in need of detox
Progress: 0%

Beth, how are you doing?

I love the new program and will begin in shortly. I've been eating with Fallon's NT's recommendations in mind and have had awesome health rejuvination and some weight loss, even eating a ton of carbs and mod amounts of natural sugars.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-02-05, 17:34

BF:

Hi Nanyehi!

I've been doing the coconut oil thing for about two weeks now, but haven't noticed any great difference in the way I feel. That could be because I actually have felt very good since induction flu was done three months ago! If I felt any better I'd probably hurt myself!

I've been plateaued as far as weight for a while, but I'm so close to my goal I'm not too focused on that now. I'm thinking long-term benefits from the coconut, like better immunity to disease and all that.

I'm undecided about adding more carbs to my diet because of the insulin-thing and associated problems. Enig really doesn't address that in her book, just says that Atkins is too restrictive, making the WOL more difficult (true). I try to stick to about 40 carbs a day, and will probably stay there indefinately. I'm still new to LCing, and don't have my previous eating problems healed.

But I really enjoy the oil, and might order another two gallons of the virgin kind. Don't want to run out!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Sep-15-06, 21:04

Plan: atkins induction
Stats: 330/330/165 Female 5' 10"
BF:

I just ordered Mary Enig's book "Eat Fat Lose Fat" and can't wait to get it. I already have Weston A. Price's Book, have read many of the articles on the Weston A. Price foundation website and i have the "Nourishing Traditions" book by mary and sally. I am excited that she has a diet version of nourishing traditions for those of us that need to LOSE weight!! Has anyone read it. Does she put a carb per day minimum or maximum on the diet? Does she say which carbs NOT to eat. Are the soaked grains, beans and nuts part of the weight loss diet or not? i am curious..i know i will get the book in a week or so..but i would like to know a SUMMARY of it now so i can kind of get started. I already have tropical traditions coconut oil and started taking it 3 times a day like she suggests.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Sep-24-06, 08:19

Plan: atkins induction
Stats: 330/330/165 Female 5' 10"
BF:

well, obviously nobody knew the answer! I recieved my book and have read most of it now so i have all the answers! thanks anyway
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-07, 10:47

Plan: High fat LC
Stats: 437/349/134 Female 5 ft. 5 in.
BF:Next/Goal/350
Progress: 29%
Default Newbie to site here to say hello!

Glad to see so many interested in EFLF as I am back again trying to work out the right eating strategies for me. I tried the coconut oil without any change in my diet (which was eating anything and everything I wanted...mostly drive-through hamburgers and Popeye's chicken) and my energy change was amazing. I no longer napped in the afternoon or felt sleepy at my computer (I am a medical transcriptionist and typing hours at a time) or fell asleep after dinner. My fingers even typed faster. I just could not believe it, even tried to talk myself out of it as sometimes my enthusiam carries me over the top when I start something new, but this phenomenon is real for me.

I did have to start out slowly with about 2 teaspoons twice a day before working up to the 1 tablespoon three times a day, but their recommendations for a person my size are 2 tablespoons three times a day of 6 tablespoons total. With that I would have no appetite at all! Alarming to someone who is used to eating a lot of food and worries if not eating "enough"---whatever that is, but I guess the appetite loss is what it is all about--that and the health benefits.