Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jun-08-05, 10:18

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 286/207/115 Female 5' 0"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Babs, I know what you mean... I LOVE potatoes! Too bad they don't love me. I'm with you... pre lc I could eat nothing but potatoes (or rice cooked in real chicken broth) for a meal.

If mashed cauliflower gives you intestinal distress, you may not want to try this... but... I have found that the secret to making mashed cauliflower is to get as much water out as possible and mix in good amounts of cream cheese with some sour cream. I use a potato ricer to squeeze all the water out of the cauliflower... then I put it along with butter, salt, pepper, sour cream, and cream cheese (and sometimes carmelized onion and roasted garlic) into my food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. This base also makes an awesome mock cream of potato soup when you add sauteed onion, garlic, and celery along with chicken broth.

Mmmm. that makes me hungry for mashed cauliflower and mock potato soup... gotta go get some cauliflower!

Phyllis
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jun-08-05, 18:09

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

I'll give that a go, Phyllis, thanks - you're right about the excess water. Something I did try a while back was add some real potato and some turnip to the mix. This worked quite well to dry it up and really wasn't too carby when divided into portions.
I'm going to try the radishes tomorrow - DH is acting very dubious, as he's afraid they'll destroy the taste of the stew. Gonna make herb dumplings, too .... yum, yum!
Babs
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jun-09-05, 06:17

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greannmhar
I'll give that a go, Phyllis, thanks - you're right about the excess water. Something I did try a while back was add some real potato and some turnip to the mix. This worked quite well to dry it up and really wasn't too carby when divided into portions.
I'm going to try the radishes tomorrow - DH is acting very dubious, as he's afraid they'll destroy the taste of the stew. Gonna make herb dumplings, too .... yum, yum!
Babs

If your husband is worried about the radishes... just use a few the first time so you can see how you/he likes them.

If you can get your hands on a potato ricer, try that for the mased cauliflower. The cauliflower has to be tender enough to be able to squeeze our as much water as possible... but... not so tender that it actually squeezes through the ricer holes, otherwise it rices and you are still stuck with all the water. I wouldn't worry too much, though, you really have to over cook it to get it so tender that it will squeeze through the smallest hole plate.

Let me know how you and your husband like the radishes... and how the herb dumplings turn out.

Have a great weekend,

Phyllis
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jun-09-05, 07:45

Too late - all the radishes are in the slow cooker The ones I got were very small - like wee marbles, so I didn't peel them and just fired them all in.
I've made up the dry mix for the dumplings using the remains of a bakemix that I'd made up last week (from Jennifer Eloff, sweety.com). I am soooooo looking forward to it all - I'll report back later tonight (it's 2.44 PM here now and dinner will be at 8).
Babs
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jun-09-05, 07:49

PS - I will look out for a potato ricer, although I usually use a stick blender. If I introduce one more gadget into my kitchen, DH says he is moving out!
Babs
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jun-09-05, 19:10

Update - the dumplings were just ok, maybe because of the gluten flour in the bakemix I used. They were a bit dense and not floury like the real thing. Perhaps the mix on this thread would be better.
The radishes were great - no bite at all and they really looked like wee spuds - they went white as they cooked. I wish I could say they tasted like spuds, too, but they absorbed the stew flavour as you said, Phyllis. I would have them again - NOT the dumplings, though
Babs
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Jun-10-05, 08:35

BF:

Babs,

I had planned to respond in your journal (so we don't continue to clutter the Fake Bisquick thread) but I discovered that you don't have a journal. So, I posted a response for you in my journal. Here is a link to the entry: Response

Phyllis
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Aug-02-05, 09:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 201/196/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress:

does anyone know where i can get this powder in the USA...
thanks Diane
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Aug-08-05, 18:37
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Which powder?
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Aug-30-05, 01:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 179/160/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Default does it work?

I'm on a very limited budget, so I'm wondering if the "Fake Bisquick Mix" works well, like could be used instead of Carquick, in a recipe that called for it?
Would love to try it!
Datahamstr
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Aug-30-05, 07:03
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I think it depends on the recipe. Because this recipe is almond-based, it's not going to have any gluten, whereas the Carbquick will. Carbquick would be better if you wanted a stretchy, glutenous texture, like a pizza dough or pastry-type pie crust. This homemade recipe would be fine for crumb-type crusts, scones, coffee cake and other products where you'd expect a more crumbly consistancy than a doughy one.

I'd like to experiment with it... eventually. I'm on a tight budget right now. Maybe try adding some gluten flour to split the difference.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-05, 12:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
I think it depends on the recipe. Because this recipe is almond-based, it's not going to have any gluten, whereas the Carbquick will. Carbquick would be better if you wanted a stretchy, glutenous texture, like a pizza dough or pastry-type pie crust. This homemade recipe would be fine for crumb-type crusts, scones, coffee cake and other products where you'd expect a more crumbly consistancy than a doughy one.

I'd like to experiment with it... eventually. I'm on a tight budget right now. Maybe try adding some gluten flour to split the difference.

Actually, you don't want much gluten in a pastry-type crust, you want 'flakes', which you get from (ahem) fat pockets and steam trapped between cooking (solidifying) starch layers.

Also, to get a 'floury' taste, you need a wheat product of some kind...I haven't tried dumplings yet (with ANY bakemix combo), but I have got some very delicate pastry out of Wheat Protein Isolate...this is where it gets messy though, because there are 3 kinds of WPI, and only 2 of them act gluten-ous, have that stretchy quality you get from Vital Wheat Gluten. One of them acts MUCH more like Whey Protein Isolate in baking, it's been processed differently...and this is the one that's been available the longest and originally from Steph (?) in upper New York State, original owner of www.locarb.com...I think. The WPI from Honeyville grain is quite gluten-ous, it's original intention was to be used in bread making where lots of gluten is useful.

Yikes
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-05, 13:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

I just posted a "5-Minute Chocolate Cake" recipe in the Bowl Muffins thread right here in this Kitchen/Baked Goods forum, that uses both WPI and ground almonds in equal measure as the flour (cakes don't need much gluten-ous stretchy stuff either, think of cake/pastry flour which is low-protein).

Enjoy.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Nov-21-05, 14:03
Registered Member

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 375/170/160 Female 5'2"
BF:not as much now
Progress: 95%
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PML
1... you use this baking mix in ANY recipe that calls for a baking mix? Including recipes calling for the high carb baking mixes? Can it be used to make rolled doughs (like for a pie crust for chicken pot pie or a rolled pasta "like" dumpling for chicken and dumplings) or is it just good for "drop" crusts and dumplings?

2...I also love chicken and dumplings and would love to enjoy them again. But I don't like the thick "doughy" dumplings that are so common in southern home cooking... never did, even though that is what I grew up with.
Phyllis

Sorry I haven't checked this in awhile.....

anything you can make with bisquick---you can make with this--the pie dough is good in my opinion just make sure all your ingredients are VERY COLD when you mix it and don't work it too much and refridgerate before trying to roll out.

many people don't like the doughy dumplings but here is a trick for thin noodle like dumplings without any work--LC tortillias!!! just cut them up in small sections and drop in your boiling broth--try the la tortilla factory brand rosemary flavored for a real treat.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-06, 19:51

Plan: none
Stats: 130/130/160 Male 5 11
BF:7.5%
Progress: 0%
Question substitutions: please help!

hello!

i'm not actually doing a low carb diet, but a similar one to fight a disease i have. starch is the main problem ingredient. i really miss pancakes/waffles and such, this recipe looks great, especially from all the great things everyone has said about it.

i was wondering if there was a non-starchy whey protein substitute. (i know whey is starchy, so the whey protein must be as well right?)

also, is it ok to substitute regular sugar for the splenda? i don't need artificial sweetener.

any ideas/feedback would be a big help!
thanks everyone!