Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-05, 17:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208/200/155 Female 5ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress:

My OB is a die hard Atkins believer and follower. He doesn't advocate induction, but certainly limitin carb consumption - specifically, rice, bread, potatoes, cereal, etc... He even said, "you don't have to drink milk to have a healthy baby" Then we talked about all the calcium in green veggies and supplements. Or think about cottage cheese - full fat, mind you.

Bottom line: low-carbing is good for you AND your baby. The growing life needs sugar about as much as you do.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-05, 17:03
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Oh yeah - i low-carbed with my last pg and had a healthy 8lb 6oz boy full term. He is still healthy 20 months later and fab eater.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-05, 16:16
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

approximately how many cals do you guys eat?
I'm just adding mine up for today I got carried away. It was the unexpected pizza that did it - but I'm still in ketosis. Not trying to eat low calories, but DO want to keep things in control.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Apr-10-05, 13:44
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I don't really count calories - I concentrate more on healthy choices/snacks. Eliminating desserts (obviously) cuts way back on calories - but I just try to always reach for some variety of veggie or protein when I'm snacking. In the same conversation about low-carbing while pregnant, my ob said 1800 calories. I think how much you eat has a TON to do with how overweight you were to start. Are you medically obese? (i.e. 20% heavier than a "normal" body weight) Are you just trying to gain pregnancy weight in a healthy way? We started low-carbing when I was nursing baby #2. At that time, I scoured low-carb lit for pregnancy info and came up empty handed. I'm sure the low-carb professionals don't want to be crucified. Anyway, at the time, I emailed a medical provider who was a low-carber and she said eats *TONS* of veggies with every meal. That was when we started my oldest on whole wheat toast with cheese, and bell pepper on the side for breakfast! Anyway, you need healthy carbs, i.e. veggies and a SMALL amount of fruit. You don't need gobs of rice and pasta. Think complex carbs. O.K. now I've ranted...sorry. Hope some of it was helpful...
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Apr-11-05, 15:39

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

Treence, If you maintain that is good, don't think you have to loose, I may not, and then again, I just might. I just happen to don't think it is a problem if there is a moderate weight loss. My Doctor with my last baby, was fine with 1/2 to 1 lb a week, he felt that was fat loss, and not harmful to the baby or to me.
JoAnFL, Keep doing what workout you like, since you are already doing them, no problem, it is better for you and the baby, you may have to eat more carb than you are used to but it shouldn't be much. The only thing is to be sure to adapt your workouts as your pregnancy progresses to aid balance. As far as Ketosis, I think it is more a fact that Ketones can mask problems as mentioned such as Diabetes, but I think it is more a problem with Pregnancy Induced Hypertension and you really need to have ways to pick up problems, and a small change can be very significant to the baby. I don't think Ketosis is a problem for the baby, as for reasons mentioned above. I personally don't think you should try to be in Ketosis during pregnancy, it is just more for the body to be working with, just mho, I do think it will keep a Dr. from getting on anyones back for Low carbing, if there is no sign of it, and ketosis is a big one.
I personally don't want to be hasseled about how I'm eating, I just want to feel good, and have a healthy baby, and for me this is the way to do it.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Apr-11-05, 15:46

I don't count calories either, it just is too much for me. I dont' believe the calorie is a calorie is a calorie, the body doesn't use everything we eat as fuel, it goes to making a great deal of things. When I binge it is always stuff I shouldn't eat anyway, never anything good for me. I do try to portion control which is very easy pregnant, I'm very rarely just wanted to eat and eat, and that is usually when I dont' have to cook the meal. On my own I don't eat very well, particularily at this point. I agree with the veggies, eat as much, and every meal if you can. That is why I like summer foods, because they make great breakfast foods. I just can't stand the smell of food so it makes it harder for me.
I'm glad someone else low carbed with the last baby, it was a real eye opener for me, and it sure made a difference. My girl was 7lbs, and smaller than my first two, unheard of with gestational diabetes. I don't drink milk either, just the low carb kind with cream added to increase the richness. I like plain yogurt, can't do cottage cheese very well, but I like slices of cheese, and almonds are good in calcium and magnesium.
Turkey is my favorite meat to eat, wish I could have it more.
Thanks for coming by. This is really helping me get more motivated.
Tanya
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Apr-11-05, 15:48

Oh, one more thing, someone mention lowcarb lit and pregnancy, there is a small bit in Life without bread I think, and TSP mentions a woman with SLS (PCOS), who locarbed, got pregnant, and lost weight during and after the pregnancy lowcarbing.
Tanya
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Apr-11-05, 22:11
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Now that I've already posted a bunch, I'll introduce myself. I'm due October 1, though my c-section (I had one with the other 3) will be some time the last week of September. This is our 4th and last. We have three boys and wouldn't mind a 4th just to keep it simple! I gained 45 pounds with my last pregnancy because I was a lazy low-carber for the first 5 months. We were moving and I milked it for all it was worth! When I got pregnant this time, I was still 20 pounds above my previous pre-pregnancy weight. As a result, I'm trying to be much more careful this time. When I realized that I'm the same weight as when I was nine months pregnant with my second son, I set the goal of zero weight gain. So far I have been successful but I'm going week by week. I've glad Tanya started this, because I need the encouragement, too! Somehow when we moved here I became friends with all this skinny-minnies. And while they are fabulous friends, they don't really relate to my weight/appearance issues! I'm looking forward to walking this road with you...
Treencee

Last edited by treencee : Mon, Apr-11-05 at 22:12. Reason: typos
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-05, 07:39
Out of service...

Stats: 220/205.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi everyone!

I'm almost 17 weeks pregnant, and have the added bonus of T2 diabetes. As for the safety of doing maintenance while pregnant, I have had really positive feedback from my healthcare team. I went and met with a dietician immediately after we got a positive test, and she told me that the Canadian Diabetes Association has recently advised them that Atkins is an acceptable method of controlling diabetes! Very exciting! She and I had a great meeting, and even though Atkins and low carb go against all of her training and education, I found her to be really open to listening to what I had to say about it. She and I agreed on 100gm of carbs per day (the CDA recommendation is 200gm for a pregnant diabetic), as long as I was willing to listen to my body. I would guess that most days I'm probably higher than that, between 150-200, because it definitely wasn't enough for me.

I'm having some pretty bad struggles with cravings, especially for starchy type foods like french fries and chips. I find that if I'm not getting enough carbs, the cravings are even worse, so I've increased my fruit intake by a fair bit and have been eating diet yogurt.

So far, I'm up about 12 pounds or so, and I'm pretty happy with that. I'm not looking to lose any weight or even maintain, and since I'm now taking insulin to control my diabetes, that also effects weight gain.

My struggle is to find a balance between wanting to restrict my weight gain unrealistically and giving myself permission to endulge every craving and whim just because I'm pregnant. Being a pregnant diabetic can be very dangerous for the baby, esp in the first trimester, and now that that's passed I'm finding it hard to continue with the restriction I had in the beginning.

Jenn
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-05, 14:54

Actually the dangers for a baby and diabetes is more as you go along. Babies can gain way too much weight, have problems with blood sugar stabalizing at birth (their pancreas is used to high levels of BS so it produces insulin to control that when the BS is no longer there, it takes several days for the babies pancreas to adjust.), the placenta breaks down very early, so going over due is not good, they can form more Hemaglobin than is needed so the baby can be born with what is call polycythemia, and could need a blood reduction, polycythemia can cause problems breathing, and with circulation. The baby's lungs are slower to develop so being born early even as much as 4 weeks early can be a problem. There are many things that can affect the baby in the 2nd and 3rd trimeters with diabetes. So it is something that needs to be controlled the entire time. My son was born with polycythemia, needed the blood reduction because he was having problems breathing. Sorry have to stop here, my parents came by to pick up something for one of my sisters. I'll come back later.
Tanya
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-05, 18:28
Out of service...

Stats: 220/205.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersue
Actually the dangers for a baby and diabetes is more as you go along.

Hi Tanya,

I think I read somewhere that you're a nurse (right?) so I'm not doubting that you know what you're talking about, but it seems contrary to everything that I've learned through research and discussions with my medical support. It's not like I thought the 2nd and 3rd trimesters were home free or anything, but my understanding has been that the real risks lie in the first and third trimesters, and that the first holds the most risk because while the baby's organs are forming, high blood sugar can lead to all kinds of birth defects and organ deformity. Also, high bs during that time greatly increases the risk of miscarriage.

Maybe it's different with gestational diabetes as opposed to someone who already had T2 diabetes? I haven't done any research on gestational, since I found out I was diabetic over 8 years ago, long before getting pregnant.

Jenn
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-05, 20:03

Yes I'm a nurse and a Neonatal intensive care nurse, Diabetes is a problem through the whole pregnancy, but from what I understand BS doesn't effect organ development so much, except perhaps in delay of the develpment because High blood sugar causes the circulatory system to constrict so oxygen flow can be impeded to the baby through the placenta, thus the increased hemaglobin in the baby's blood. The risks are greater for the mother if she is a diabetic before pregnancy, than a gestational diabetic, that is why most moms don't take care of themselves, and why babies have so much problems at birth. The risks to a baby of a diabetic mother compared to a gestational diabetic are higher, because the BS is higher for a longer period and if she is insulin dependent rather than diet controled it is even more of a likely that the baby will have problems maintaining a normal BS after birth and will need IV glucose and frequent monitoring to stabalize the BS. I don't want to be preachy, but since I have worked with these babies, I have never wanted one with that problem. I will do what it takes to keep my BS around 80-100 as much as possible. It worked for me last time because I had the healthiest of my three babies, when according to stats she should have been my sickest.
Do the best for you and you will have the best baby you can even with T2 diabetes and on insulin. I'm really glad to see that you have a great Dietician, the one I had last time was quite flexible too, not a great fan, but she seemed to know that I was going to do what I needed to no matter what. I also ate about 100 gms a day, give or take about 20 on some days. That seemed to be the best, with about 7 gms in the morning, that was all I could tolerate otherwise I would just feel horrible.
Anyway to other things, I should get off my soap box, I had my first Dr. appt yesterday, and we had a hard time getting the heart beat so I had to wait about 5 hours to get an ultrasound that showed the baby was fine, and that my Dates were accurate afterall. He thought for sure that I was farther along than I thought, (actually I thought I was farther along too.)
So it was a relief to know that all was well. I think I have taken up enough space today.
Tanya
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-05, 23:00
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

This is a fabulous thread.......thanks for starting it, Tanya. I have a 9month old on the ground, and am planning to start TTC child #3 in about 6 months. So it's really great to be able to see what everyone else is doing........ I always gain too much and lose it too slow w/babies.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-05, 10:28
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Does anyone else just HAVE to have ice cream?
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-05, 14:44
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

I've been HAVING to have my "morning drink" and I crave it all the time. It's a cup of mixed frozen blueberries and raspberries, about 1/2 cup of cooled cranberry tea (or something else to add tartness), 1-2 tb virgin coconut oil(yum), 1 egg and 1 egg yolk and a big blob of heavy cream. Ohh mann it is so good. It also keeps me full for a long time.

I've made "healthy" icecream whilst pregnant: popped some raw milk, egg yolks, vanilla and a little (you don't need much) raw honey in the ice cream maker. I plan to do it with raspberries next time I go for a milk run.