Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-05, 15:00
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Default Science Backs Controlled-Carb Rather Than 'Right-Carb' to Improve Heart Health

Science Backs Controlled-Carb Rather Than 'Right-Carb' Approach to Improve Heart Disease Risk Factors, Obesity

Commercially Motivated "Right-Carb" Approach Can Endanger Individuals Who Need to Lose Weight to Improve Heart Health

ORLANDO, Fla., March 8 /PRNewswire/ -- Weight reduction can cut the incidence of coronary heart disease in those at risk by nearly a third(1), making it more important than ever for Americans to properly understand nutritional protocols. Dr. Robert C. Atkins knew that the low-carb approach was one of the most effective ways to lose weight and lower heart disease risk factors, but cutting edge science confirms that doing Atkins right is critical.

Atkins is all about choosing nutrient dense carbohydrates and staying away from added sugars, bleached white flour and other highly refined, processed foods and potentially unhealthy levels of sugar alcohols. That is, however, only half of the equation. The other half stresses the importance of an individual knowing his or her carbohydrate threshold, whether for losing or maintaining weight. Atkins, which controls both the quantity and quality of carbohydrate consumption, is the only controlled-carbohydrate nutritional approach supported by science.

"Modifications and commercially motivated reinterpretations of Atkins are simply not in the best interests of medicine and the American public," explained Dr. Stuart Trager, medical director of Atkins Nutritionals, in a speech at the annual American College of Cardiology meeting this week. Dr. Trager, speaking directly to The South Beach Diet author Dr. Arthur Agatston, threw down the gauntlet and challenged Dr. Agatston to "Show us the science. Even your own study, recently published in the Archives of Internal Medicine(2), followed a controlled-carbohydrate protocol virtually identical to Atkins," asserted Dr. Trager. "You know very well that we both encourage consumers to choose the best, or 'right kinds' of carbs as part of a controlled-carb program; by discouraging individual control of carbs, albeit the right carbs, you are putting people at risk of health consequences."

"Because we live in a country in which two-thirds of our population weighs more than they should, focusing on helping people lose weight means saving lives," stated Dr. Trager. "When it comes to safely losing weight and burning fat, studies show that low carb usually outperforms low-fat, low-calorie restrictions(3-5). Moreover, to date, no research has demonstrated the safety and efficacy of a 'right' or 'good' carb approach. The introduction of products with added sugars and trace amounts of trans fats that are endorsed by such position could potentially endanger the health of individuals who need to lose weight to improve their heart health."

Backed by Research

Additionally, more and more research is drawing a link between high-carbohydrate diets and risk for heart disease(6). When it comes to increased fat burning, fat loss and weight reduction, it is the low-carb approach, not low-fat diet, that has shown superior results that actually help improve people's lives(3-5).

The evidence is overwhelming: The low-carb approach has consistently outperformed other programs -- not only for shedding pounds, but also for reducing abdominal fat, which is itself an independent health risk factor (3-5).

Through the science, we now know that:

-- Controlled-carb (Atkins-like) approaches outperform low-fat diets when it comes to lowering triglyceride levels(7)
-- Controlled-carb approaches produce greater improvements in HDL ("good") cholesterol than low-fat diets(7)
-- Controlled-carb approaches lower markers of inflammation, in contrast to high-carbohydrate diets(8)
-- Controlled-carb approaches result in greater loss of total fat and abdominal fat than low calorie low fat diets(3-5)

The Metabolic Advantage

Research dating as far as back as the 1950s shows that the body responds differently to different types of foods; at that time, Alan Kekwick, M.A., M.B, F.R.C.P., director of the Institute of Clinical Research and Experimental Medicine at London's Hospital, and Gaston L.S. Pawan, B.S., senior research biochemist of that hospital's medical unit, demonstrated that a low-carbohydrate (and high-fat) diet provided a significant metabolic advantage over so-called "balanced" or conventional low-fat diets.(9)

"With the ongoing low-carb research, we can come to the conclusion that when heart health is threatened due to significant obesity, a controlled-carbohydrate approach is more effective at weight loss, and in turn, saving lives,"(3-5, 7) emphasizes Dr. Trager.

The relationship between controlled-carbohydrate nutrition and increased fat burning (oxidation) has been demonstrated. Research has likewise shown that a controlled-carb approach like Atkins causes the body to preferentially burn fat for fuel as compared to calorie restriction which actually decreases fat burning.(10) "In lab work at Pennsylvania Hospital," says Trager, "we found that individuals following Atkins-meaning they were cutting carbs, not calories-increased their percentage of fat burning at rest by 70 percent."

On Atkins, the percentage of fat burned actually increases. Studies demonstrate that when groups of individuals follow different diets and the amount of energy produced by burning stored fat is compared, carbohydrate restriction results in increased fat burning, providing insights into the mechanism of the metabolic advantage.(3-5)

About the Atkins Nutritional Approach(TM) (ANA(TM))

The ANA is a scientifically validated nutritional strategy for weight control and better health based upon controlling carbohydrate consumption. This nutritional strategy stresses nutrient-dense carbohydrates as part of a balanced eating plan that includes a variety of protein and good fats, while restricting carbohydrates that have the greatest impact on blood sugar. The ANA provides each person with the information they need to find his or her individual level of carbohydrate intake, below which weight loss is achieved and above which weight gain occurs.

References

1. Eilat-Adar, S., Eldar, M., Goldbourt, U., "Association of Intentional Changes in Body Weight with Coronary Heart Disease Event Rates in Overweight Subjects Who Have an Additional Coronary Risk Factor," American Journal of Epidemiology, 2005, 161(4): 352-358.
2. Aude, Y.W., Agatston, A.S., "The National Cholesterol Education Program Diet vs. a Diet Lower in Carbohydrates and Higher in Protein and Monounsaturated Fat," Archives of Internal Medicine, 2004, 164: 2141-2146.
3. Brehm B.J., Spang S.E., Lattin B.L., et al., "The Role of Energy Expenditure in the Differential Weight Loss in Obese Women on Low-Fat and Low-Carbohydrate Diets," The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology Metabolism, Dec. 2004, 10.1210/jc.2004-1540.
4. Brehm B.J., Seeley R.J., Daniels S.R., et al., "A Randomized Trial Comparing a Very Low Carbohydrate Diet and a Calorie-Restricted Low Fat Diet on Body Weight and Cardiovascular Risk Factors in Healthy Women," The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology Metabolism, April 2003, 88(4):1617-23.
5. Volek, J.S., Sharman M.J., Gomez A.L., et al., "Comparison of Energy-Restricted Very Low-Carbohydrate and Low-Fat Diets on Weight Loss and Body Composition in Overweight Men and Women," Nutrition and Metabolism, Nov. 8, 2004, 1:13.
6. Abbasi F, McLaughlin T, Lamendola C, et al., "High Carbohydrate Diets, Triglyceride-Rich Lipoproteins, and Coronary Heart Disease Risk." The American Journal of Cardiology, 2000, 85(1): 45-48.
7. Sondike, S.B., Jacobson, M.S., Copperman, N.M., "Low Carbohydrate Dieting Increases Weight Loss But Not Cardiovascular Risk in Obese Adolescents: A Randomized Controlled Trial," Journal of Adolescent Health, 2000, 26: 91.
8. O'Brien, K.D., Brehm, B.J., Seeley, R.J., "Greater Reduction in Inflammatory Markers With a Low Carbohydrate Diet than with a Calorically Matched Low Fat Diet," Presented at American Heart Association's Scientific Sessions 2002 on Tuesday, November 19, 2002, Abstract ID: 117597.
9. Kekwick, A., Pawan, G.L.S., "Calorie Intake in Relation to Body-Weight Changes in the Obese," The Lancet, July 28, 1956, 155-161.
10. Franssila-Kallunki A., Rissanen A., Ekstrand A., et al., "Weight Loss by Very-Low-Calorie Diets: Effects on Substrate Oxidation, Energy Expenditure, and Insulin Sensitivity in Obese Subjects," The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, July 1992, 56:247-8.

SOURCE Atkins Nutritionals, Inc.,

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/s...03156697&EDATE=
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-05, 16:10
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Thats a very interesting article and Thanks! for posting it Tamarian!!

As a South Beacher, I have found that I'm unable to include much in the way of whole grains into my plan and still continue to lose weight. While I don't count carbs per say, I do limit the kinds of carbs that I do actually eat each day.

I think that being on this site and reading all that Atkins users do, has shown me the way to my best food plan. I do, however, control my protein intake by eating 5-8 ounce portions at a meal....this will become smaller as my weight gets lower. My veggies are fairly unlimited and low carb. I also control the amount of fruit I eat each day( 2 -3 servings at the most).

So maybe I'm mostly South Beach with a little Atkins thrown in...I use butter and sour cream on occasion.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-05, 20:24

Plan: No grains, no sugar.
Stats: 001/045/525 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 8%

Although it certainly contains useful information, I'd like to point out that isn't really an article, but a press release. It's essentially an advertisement for Atkins. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but such things don't carry the same weight ;-) as an actual news article would.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-05, 07:30

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/180/165 Male 68 inches
BF:25
Progress: 25%

Some good references.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-05, 09:47

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikdriver
Although it certainly contains useful information, I'd like to point out that isn't really an article, but a press release. It's essentially an advertisement for Atkins. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but such things don't carry the same weight ;-) as an actual news article would.

While it's true that this is more of a press release than a news article (which, incidentally, I've found to be notoriously inaccurate when it comes to articles on low carb which leads me to question the accuracy of the rest), unlike a news article this at least gives extensive references to the studies that back up their statements which in my view gives it far more weight than an average news article.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-05, 10:13

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikdriver

Considering that a surprisingly amount of so called news articles are just cut and pasted from press releases, I wouldn't put my trust in new articles.

The sad fact is that the media, the pharmeceutical industry, the health industry have vested interest in maintaining the status quo. So anyone who sticks their head out get it quickly chopped off. We operate under the illusion of freedom of speech, so people are still allowed to say whatever they want, but if they rock the "establishment" boat, they get pushed to the fringes and discredited. So if you are part of mainstream, you must toe the party line if you are to keep your position. It happens rarely, but it does happen, that people build enough reputation and credibility that they can actually disagree with the established tenets, whatever they are, and be listened to. Not often, but enough to give us a glimmer of hope.