Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-05, 11:04
fierce!

Plan: TGDW
Stats: -/-/- Female 64
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTwacky
I HATE RETAIL!!!!!! I will never work in retail again.

I worked in retail several years ago and they made us wear high heels and skirts or dresses. Now, know that there were many days when you were on your feet for upwards of 9 hours, basically standing on your toes.

I could understand if I worked in the Chanel department, but I was in JUNIORS!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-05, 13:25

Plan: Atkins & Weight Watchers
Stats: 321/226/180 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 67%

well, I have not heard a thing back from LB..so I'm giving up..apparently it's not important enough for them to look into. Oh well, their loss!!
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-05, 13:28

BF:

Fourkids....lol....sheet....there's no way I'm posting a picture on here..I hate my picture being taken!! LOL...maybe a little further down the line, I will :-)
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-05, 13:47
WONJ#3

Plan: 12 steps
Stats: 238/210/145 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 30%

I can't imagine the pain it would be to stand on your feet for 8-9 hours in heels. When I was at Lane Bryant, I wore comfortable shoes and still my feet hurt. That was in addition to the gel insoles I stuck in there.

I must just be really lazy and used to sitting on my butt!!

One of the ladies there said your feet get used to it. I vaguely remember working retail sales when I was 21 but not clothing, a music store, and I remember it being no problem, so it could just be me.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Feb-25-05, 11:42
Just keep trying...

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 316/305/215 Male 6'3"
BF:Way/33%/hi
Progress: 11%

I guess I'll have to go to Florida too and apply. I would love to hear that,
"Oh my gosh. We could never hire you. You are so handsome that no work would get done around here... all my clerks would be trying to get next to you!!"
You were very right to let the employees know what she said to you. What she said is not illegal, but it certainly demonstrated poor judgement and a very insensitive personal attitude.
But, since you were better looking and had more poise and better verbal skills, that she was extremely fearful of you and how bad you might make her look just by showing up for work every day!
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Feb-25-05, 11:48
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/228.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 39%

Ted, the ladies in Maryland are just too shy to say it out loud, but I'm sure they're thinking it. . .
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Feb-25-05, 11:56

BF:

yeah, I debated on whether to tell you guys what happened or not..I mean come on..who wants to hear someone complain that they weren't hired because they were "too pretty"..you know..it's like, aww..you poor thing..yeah right!! lol. But all considering, we're all open and honest with each other on this forum, so I decided nobody would take to what happened to me at LB an ego trip. At least I wasn't told I was too FAT to work there..lol
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Feb-25-05, 12:01

Plan: NS
Stats: 300/294/160 Female 5'5-1/2"
BF:Yup, it's there
Progress: 4%

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa
Fourkids....lol....sheet....there's no way I'm posting a picture on here..I hate my picture being taken!! LOL...maybe a little further down the line, I will :-)

Aw, come on Melissa - PLEASE... Definitely curious here too - ha ha
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Feb-25-05, 12:42

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%

They may not be returning your calls because you may not be making it clear that if you do not hear from them in a timely manner then you will be more than happy to contact your attorney and the press who have already expressed an interest in your story. I know it is not true, but they won't know that...unless they visit this thread! Don't give in so easily! And then follow up with a letter restating what happened and your next step if they do not contact you and pronto.
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Feb-28-05, 22:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 267/232/200 Female 5'4
BF:too damn much
Progress: 52%

If I was an employee of Lane Bryant I'd really question my looks now - but, hey, being too pretty isn't oh so bad-you figure, you got the better end of the stick. I wish I would be turned down from a job on account of my extraordinary looks!
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-05, 17:30

Plan: Not sure
Stats: 225/225/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress:
Default Lane Bryant Interview

Melissa:

That is messed up to hear. I currently work as a Sales Associate for LB since August 2004. In my first four months on the job as a part-time employee (averaging 12 hours weekly) I was their top seller, earning over $50k in sales. I am constantly meeting AND exceeding my goals, thus being their star.

Well, I know LB looks fora specific look and the prettier and well-dressed you are (basically a walking billboard for them) they want you. I have seen girls go from working 30 - 20 hour weeks down to 5 hours per week all due to management being tired of them. It sucks as I am truly a team player and know I can kick managements a$$ in running that store and they know it. I do not put up with being bullied, especially when I am a hard dedicated worker.

I was in a situation recently with the Store Manager berating me in front of everyone. I asked to speak with her in the back quietly, she was screaming and yelling at me like their was no tomorrow. I finally got her to calm down and told her she could have approached me in a different way and I did not deserve to be yelled at in front of everyone, she did not see that and I left it at that. I then went to her boss and explained the situation to him, he then tells her what I said -- now making it very uncomfortable working with her as she is always ready to pounce on me when I am not doing the right thing there.

Well, I have had it, and I am ready to walk. There is a new plus size womans store opening called Torrid (Torrid.com) and I am putting in an application there as I want to sever my "professional" ties with L.B. a.s.a.p. as I was a long time customer there prior to taking the job and want to be able to hold my head up high while walking into that store after I quit.

It sounds like you are a woman after my own heart and I would have done the same thing. Good for you and thankfully L.B. is not the only plus-size store out there to work in

Best of luck to you.

"Living well is the best revenge."

- George Herbert, 17th century poet
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-05, 17:37

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/175/158 Female 5'10"
BF:I am 5'10" tall
Progress: 57%
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa
So. I've been thinking about getting a job at lane Bryant, it's one of my favorite stores and I thought it would be great fun to work there.
I'm STILL waiting to wake up be happy it was a nightmare!!
So this is what happened.
I bought a new outfit for the interview(Lane Bryant of course) was dressed very nicely...to the T.
I sit down for the interview and it was going fine but noticed she was constantly looking at my clothes and my face not really looking me in the eyes...but she was trying not to be obvious about it. I was very nice, polite, answered the ques great, looked her in the eye(when I could catch her eye, that is.......
And THEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
She tell me that she doesn't think that I would "fit in" with this store and the other girls because I'm TOO PRETTY!!! She said she really thinks that the other girls would be jealous and intimidated by me,and we don't need any "competition" because the other girls aren't as attractive.But let's keep this quiet and I'll look into another Lane Bryant store for you. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I started laughing and waited for the punchline, ya know??
Of course right now I can think of what I should have said to her...but that I was NOT prepared for!!!!!!!
So I got up and said this is not the company for me and I said I will be sure to tell the girls here before I leave exacly what their manager thinks of them.
SO I leave the office and there were a few girls up front and one girl at the front of the store folding clothes.
So I went to the girls up front and said, well, I just had my interview and they said, really, so are you joining us???(By the way the girls were all very pretty in my opinion) I said no...do you want to know why???
I said your MANAGER won't hire me for this store because you girls will be intimidated by me because I"m so much prettier than you guys are and would be jealous and make it an uncomftorable work place. I said, all of you girls here are pretty, and I think you guys should know exacly what your manager thinks of you. How do you like that?
Then I walked off and out the store I go....the girls just stared at me, pretty much speechless..I didn't stick around for a responce.
I don't know what to think!!!!!!!
Anyways that was my Lane Bryant interview experiance.
What do you guys think. This has completely floored me.

I would call her supervisor, or go online and find her supervisor, and tell him what she did..........I am sure they will be very upset, you know this could cause a lawsuit???? You cannot prejudice against a person because fo their skin color, their looks, or their weight, it is the same instance here...Gina
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-05, 18:16

BF:

Hi guys....I am still trying to speak to someone who will listen to me on this case, but it's not so easy. They never call me back, I might have to resort to threatening them with a lawsuit, if I decide to go that far with this. One of the other girls replied on this forum that the girls are probably really down on their looks now at LB and I can't say as I blame them since I told the girls what the manager said..I still feel horribly guilty about that...but at the same time I'm not. They needed to know just what kind of person they were working for. I'm also thinking about applying at Torrid..we have one here in Florida...about 20 min from me..the only one so far as I know of. I KNOW I would have kicked ass in that store, sales and customer service wise....boy it pisses me off!! People never fail to amaze me!
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-05, 23:27

Stats: 206/182.6/160 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 51%

Melissa, pretty soon you might want to apply for their sister store like Learner New York! Keep LCing and forget about them! I cannot believe they would say such a thing to you though! But it's good to hear that you're too pretty though, but I'm going to give you professional wisdom, "it wasn't right she said that." It's unethical and you CANNOT not be hired because you're too pretty... That's what I would call discrimination
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-05, 22:20

Stats: 267/232/200 Female 5'4
BF:too damn much
Progress: 52%

Discrimination has and will always exist. Everyone is bias. In this case the employer was dumb enough to the you why. Usually they say "Thanks" and smile sweetly as they determine which garabge is close enough to make a basket with your resume.

_ Wow! that sounds bitter!