Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 13:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/160/135 Female 5'5''
BF:?
Progress: 77%

Dr. Terry
Welcome Welcome Welcome!
You should start a journal--Great to have you around!
-betsy
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 13:30

Stats: 237/175/165 Male 5'&"
BF:
Progress:

Hi Nikotyne,

Stevia is a good and healthy sweetener. I also use mederately Sucanat which is dried cane juse with all the other nutrients still intact. Turbinado is cane juice that is spun in a device called a turbine, hence the name. Just be sure to read the label for carb content and use accordingly.

Splenda is "Sucralose' which is 600 times weeter than sucrose (sugar) and has had three molecules replaced with chlorine molecules. Google "Sucralose" and you can read some of the data yourself. Just remember this "The closer to the earth, the closer to the vine, the higher the nutritive quality of your food." The farther away you get from whole and fresh, the less valuable a food is. Many refined and processed foods actually rob the body of its valuable reserves by causing the system to work harder to digest and metabolize these foods. There may be a lot of flash (instant energy) in some foods , but there is no staying power. If you have to chew your food, your system will extract the nutrients over time, giving sustained energy as opposed to instant, but poor quality energy. It's like gasoline on a fire. Whoosh! and then it's gone. Chew the carrot and make yuor body work to get the energy. Don't juice it so it's there in a flash.

Dr Terry
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 13:45

Plan: atkins
Stats: 168/168/140 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress:

Dr. Terry, Please dont forget me. Vitamins? Yes?, No? How Many?, Which ones?. I know you are busy so when you get a free moment. Thanks so much in advance.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 14:44
Canuck Conundrum

Stats: 283/000/180 Female 5' 8"
BF:?///?
Progress: 275%

Welcome to the forum Dr. Terry. I'm sure there would be a lot of folks that would love to visit a journal if you were to start one. It's the best way to make buddies around here.

Any thoughts on Valerian? I've read conflicting reports, one that it's effectiveness only reaches peak after it's been in your system for a regular period...and then another that you shouldn't take it regularly at all. I do take it almost nightly, and am interested in whether this is something you recommend for the 5 day only thing?

Sam
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 20:31
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hello Dr Terry,

I applaud your hard work and study on the road to health. Information and knowledge are empowering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natdoc
....In June of 2004 the University of Pennsylvania release a long term study of people following the Atkins program from the 1970's to now in which they found that these peole not only lost weight, but they reduced two other risk factors for heart disease. These were they had higher levels of HDL and lower levels of LDL in their bloodstream than the average. Well that was nice to hear.

This is interesting indeed! I hadn't heard of such a long term study before, and would appreciate knowing more about it. A web link or medical journal reference would be great; we could add it to our Research archive.

In May 2003, U. Penn published the results of a one year study of Atkins diet vs. conventional low calorie, low fat diet in theNew England Journal of Medicine. In that study, the low carb dieters lost more weight at 3 months and 6 months compared to the low fat dieters, but by one year things were fairly even between the two. Unfortunately, the drop-out rate from both diets was fairly high. LDL was not changed in either group, but the low carb dieters showed improved HDL and triglycerides. Both diets improved blood pressure and insulin sensitivity.

In May 2004, Duke University Medical Center published the results of a more comprehensive 6-month study, with a larger number of participants. In this study, the low carb dieters lost significantly more weight than the low fat group. As with the U. Penn study from 2003, the low carbers experienced greater improvement in HDL and triglycerides than the low fat group, while LDL remained essentially unchanged in both groups.

Quote:
... I will say that if a person has a lot of weight to lose, then follow Atkins religiously as the body needs to reorder itself and begin the reconverting of fat to useable cellular fuel. Then when your body is up and functioning at a much higer level of efficiency, and losing those pounds, then I like to counsel to cut back on the meat and fat and add those veggies and high fiber foods and avoid bowel disorders.

Atkins and other lowcarb plans also recommend increasing vegetables and other carbohydrate foods such as low-sugar fruits and whole grains as part of the program. I'm not sure how meat and fats are related to avoiding bowel disorders though??

As for fiber, recent studies have shown that it may be overrated when it comes to bowel health. It provides only modest benefit for chronic constipation; fiber from grains has shown little or no benefit for preventing bowel cancers and may even have negative effects. Phytates found in grains, especially wheat bran, bind with calcium preventing it from being absorbed ... calcium definitely has shown benefit for lowering risk of certain bowel cancers, so you don't want to prevent its absorption! In other studies of vegetables and fruits, again, fiber was shown to have little effect on cancer prevention .. however their antioxidant nutrients can be protective.

regards

Doreen
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 20:50
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
......The glucosamine is good and if you can find arthenol, which is a collagen product that helps build up the cartilege of the joints, buy it and use it. I will find the the source for you and get it to you. You might try googling "arthenol'. .......

Just a note about glucosamine. It should be used with caution by diabetics and persons with blood sugar or insulin resistance problems. Studies suggest that it can even increase the likelihood of developing insulin resistance in persons with normal blood sugars.

Quote:
Glucosamine Sulfate : A Popular Arthritis Remedy May Be Linked To Diabetes

by Cathy Wong

Glucosamine is a substance that occurs naturally in the human body. It provides strength, flexibility, and elasticity to cartilage and connective tissue by stimulating the production of glycosaminoglycans, molecules that hold joint tissue together. Glucosamine also decreases inflammation that can lead to joint destruction.

With the potential to repair damaged joints and slow the progression of osteoarthritis, glucosamine has become an immensely popular dietary supplement around the world; in 1999, glucosamine was the top-selling dietary supplement in the United States, with annual sales of US $288 million.

However, a few clinical reports have suggested side effects that even health practitioners were initially unaware of. One woman reported that her diabetes symptoms worsened after taking glucosamine.

Why?

Glucosamine is ten times as potent as regular glucose in causing insulin resistance in animals. It can increase fasting blood glucose (sugar) levels and worsen glucose tolerance.

These side effects occur because glucosamine activates a metabolic pathway in the body that leads to the deterioration of insulin-producing cells in the pancreas and causes insulin resistance, two factors associated with diabetes. Researchers at Johns Hopkins recently found that activation of this pathway, called the hexosamine pathway, causes proteins to be coated in sugar, preventing them from passing along insulin's message to regulate blood glucose.

Many studies have been conducted around the world on glucosamine, yet these side effects have not been noted. It may be that only certain people will react. Further study is needed on the safety of the oral supplement form. Until then, people taking glucosamine sulfate should consult a health practitioner.

article at about.com
The actual Johns Hopkins Study is posted in our Research forum ... you can read it here.

MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) can be helpful for joint and muscle aches, along with fish oils. There is some excellent information about MSM posted here. MSM may actually be helpful for blood sugar and insulin balance too. It is supportive for the liver, as it's a rich source of dietary sulfur, a precursor for the detoxifying amino acids glutathione and methionine..

Doreen
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Feb-04-05, 10:06

BF:
Progress:

Hi lettalove,

Yes, I do recommend vitamins as unless you are fortunate enough to eat all oraginically grown veggetables, what we get from the supermarkets is anemic. In farming today which is basically chemical farming with chemicals applied to kill weeds, kill pests, fertilize the crop etc, the only thing the dirt does is hold the plants in place. I live in a farming community in southwestern Idaho and the spray planes begin flying as soon as the weather warms up and things get going. The soil is depleted of minerals, microbes and all the good things that create healthy plants holding high levels of nutrients.

I'm not saying don't eat your veggies from the supermarket at all. For most it is the only place they think they can buy them. For many though, gardens are still planted, expecially in rural America, and there are more people producing organic produce all the time. Even the major supermarkets like Albertsons and others are offering orgainic produce.

Vitamins and minerals are foods. They should be thought of a part of the diet and eaten or taken with or after meals on a regular basis. I don't want to sound like a commercial, but I like NOW Natural Foods products. They have been around for some twenty-five years and always test good for us. I use their Special Two multivitamin. It is a powerhouse of nutrients including green superfoods. Log onto www.vitaglo.com and you'll find a really good source of Special Two cheapoer than I can buy it wholesale from the Company. I can't buy carloads and they can. You can get bottles of 180 for just under twenty dollars. A really good buy as I have to charge $16.99 for bottles of 90, so I am recommending to my clients who are online this source. Learn to be a label reader. If you don't know what's in it, don't buy it. Becoming a label reader is a really good idea for anyone. I also use on a regular basis other supplements like CoQ10, Omega 3-6-9 from NOW, Vitamin C on a regular basis and Calcium for sure.

Almost all functions of the body use and need calcium for efficient function. I use NOW's calcium & Magnesium reverse ratio 1:2 It has twice the magnesium as calcium and includes zinc and vitamin D. Or if I don't test as need that much magnesium I use Calcium with magnesium, zinc and vitamin D which has twice the calcium as magnesium.

There are many different brands on the market and it is up to each individual to choose their favorite, but be sure to read the label. Special two is loaded with good amounts of all nutrients including minerals and other ingredients. I would not buy the old one a day vitamins you find in the drug store or supermarket. I've not read a label of those what had anything more then the "minimum daily requirement or required daily amounts."

I also take a green food supplement that I blend and have encapsulated. It contains spirulina, broken cell wall chlorella and barley grass. This is quite literally a perfect food. For an informative few minutes, log onto www.chlorellafactor.com There is a thirty-nine page booklet written by a medical journalist on the benefits of these humble microalgae. Yes I said microalgae. Spirulina and Chlorella are single cell microalgae. Chlorella is the richest source of chlorophyl on the planet, it has cancer fighting properties and a whole lot more.

Spirulina is 60% protein by weight and contains almost all of the amino acids, all of the B vitamins including B-12. It contains minerals and is simply a powerhouse of nutrition on its own. I mentioned these humble single celled plants are a perfect food and a person could live and be well on these foods alone. Yes I know that sounds like phooey, but in sufficient quantities it would sustain life as it contains all the nutrients needed for efficient function of the human body. Now, I don't take that much daily but I do include four capsules of my blend with each meal. Spirulina and Chlorella are not cheap even when bought wholesale, but I think it worth the price.

The simple fact is that if a person supplements their diet with good quality vitamins and minerals, they will do themselves a favor. They are foods and their benefits are wide ranging, yet their benefit is generally not felt as a great boost, but subtle and cell building. Many people do notice a difference in the beginning, but the real benefit is long term.

If vitamins and minerals are included in the grocery budget and eaten as part of the diet, in the long term, that person will receive the benefit of improved health.

This is just my humble opinion based on thirty-five years experience using and studying nutrition and natural health.

Dr Terry

Last edited by Natdoc : Fri, Feb-04-05 at 10:12.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Feb-04-05, 10:36

BF:
Progress:

Hello Sam59,

Valerian is a very powerful nervine that has calming sedative effect, but it should not be used long term as it can cause mental depression in some people. Herbs are best taken for a specific purpose, for a specific time period and then left alone for a while. The body will build up tolerance and if that herb is acting on a particular organ then you can get negative results.

Insulin is an example of what I mean. A person who is diagnosed as diabetic and the doctor puts them on insulin. What happens is the pancreas basically says, OK, theres insulin in the blood stream so I don't have to work anymore. Now what happens when we become sedentary, or we break an arm for instance and can't use it? The muscle atrophy's because it is not being used. Obviously this is not a good thing and we have to build up the muscle after the bone is healed and we can use the arm again.

Well, it is the same thing with long-term use of herbs. Use an herb sparingly, receive the benefits and get off it. The next time you may need it again, it will work as it did before, and you won't have to increase the dosage to get the same benefit.

If you suffer from insomnia, then the course of action is to find out why, or find the cause; correct that and the symptom (insomnia) will go away and you'll be able to sleep through the nite.

OK, tell me how to start a journal. What is it and what is its use? You said it is a good way to meet new friends. Is it a personal connection with a person? This site forbids the sharing of E-dresses and I don't feel comfortable getting personal in this venue as there are many questions I would ask you before I would feel comfortable giving you personal advice and counsel. I can give general thoughts and such, but there are questions I would ask if it weren't for publication to the world.

I hope the info on valerian is useful.

Dr Terry
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Feb-04-05, 10:43

BF:
Progress:

Hello Doreen T,

You are right, and with my clients I monitor glucose tolerance, and test clients for their need for glucosamine and any other supplements or products they may be taking.

Thanks for posting the info. It's how this knowledge gets to everyone. It's hard to include everything in these postings and shows that there are lots of informed people out there.

Dr Terry
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Feb-05-05, 18:21
AKA: Carol

Plan: High Fat Low Carb
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5' 4"
BF:? Not any more!
Progress: 100%

http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36

How to start your journal:

It's easy ... simply click on the Journals / Bootcamp > link above, Then, click on the "new thread" button, write your first entry and a title (will become the title of your journal), and click "Submit". To add entries to your journal and respond to others in their journals, use the "post reply" button. A special link is added to your profile once you've submitted your new journal thread. Just look for the icon at the bottom of any of your posts, on your member profile page, or at the top of every forum page; this will take you to the most recent messages. A journal is a great way to share your low-carb progress with other members. The intent is to keep track of what you're doing; what's working and what isn't; your challenges, goals and setbacks. You might return to previous entries to see what used to work, what changed, etc. Others may take a peek and offer suggestions and encouragement.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-05, 12:29
Canuck Conundrum

Stats: 283/000/180 Female 5' 8"
BF:?///?
Progress: 275%

Well Sweetcakes beat me to it... There is also a sticky on the subject at the top of the Introduce Yourself thread menu.

A journal here is used more as a personal diary of our journeys. Some of us share very intimate details of our lives, some others just post LC information and our daily foods etc. It's an each to it's own thing. If you click on the "Journal" button at the bottom of anyone's post, it will take you to their personal journal. Other members are free to post in the journals and we do have a lot of fun back and forth. Click on a couple and have a look, you'll get the idea.

Once you have found an interest in someone's journal, you can subscribe to it under "thread tools" and keep track of postings by using your CP button at the top of your journal (CP = control panel)

Thanks for the info...I had a feeling that I shouldn't be taking it so regularly. Sigh.

Sam