Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-05, 19:07
WONJ#3

Plan: 12 steps
Stats: 238/210/145 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 30%

Quote:
I'm actually really getting into this, and would like some edification.

Do you even low carb? Looking at your stats it seems like you just came onto this site to ask self righteous questions?

Quote:
I don't eat anything cooked and 99% of my fruits/vegetables are high fibre.

What food plan are you on? Why did you decide to join a low carb site?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-05, 19:21
Registered Member

Plan: N/A
Stats: // Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Re:

I'm not trying to be self righteous. I'm not trying to shake the foundations of forums.lowcarber.org with ideas I think are incredible because obviously they could be conjured up by anyone particularly interested in the concept of evolution. All I am saying is what I am saying. It's just a post about a pertinent topic. I just think that inquiring more about <enter problematic low carber here > lifestyle could elude to the real problem preventing health and prevent sardonic replies. And yes, most are not sardonic.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-05, 20:29
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

My personal experience is that diet has far more influence on my health than exercise. In fact, I got fat and developed insulin resistance despite a high activity level. I was diagnosed with metabolic syndrome and my physician advised me to go on a low carb diet. Since then I have experienced far better health and slow but steady weight loss despite being older and relatively inactive. If I had to pick one lifestyle factor to improve, it would definitely be diet.

Perhaps a large amount of exercise is more necessary for health and weight loss success when following a low-fat/high carb diet.

Wyv
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 06:32
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
...until it's clarified that you have to be really active to be really healthy.

I disagree. Heavy exercise puts oxidative stress on the body, as well as straining the immune system, joints, etc. I'd have to say being somewhat active might be what you were getting at.

Quote:
Eating meat or whatever low carb food at your desk is not going to result in wonderful blood tests and if it does then I'm at a loss.

It happens and there are plenty of examples. While exercise has been shown to help improve insulin sensitivity, controlling insulin by diet alone is more than adequate to get one's lipid profile in line.

Quote:
Taking an hour of step class or aquacise a couple times a week is not enough.

Why not? Says who?

I don't argue that some strength training and a li'l cardio is healthy. But you seem to be operating from the standpoint of having a body full of carbs that need to be burned off. When it comes to exercise, "enough is as good as a feast."

Here's my exercise routine: I do light strength training a few times a week. Barely work to failure, barely feel any soreness. My cardio? Walking home from the grocery store with 20 lbs of food in a backpack. I also walk to and from work, though that doesn't really qualify as 'cardio.' But I'm in near perfect health, I haven't had a cold in ages, I sleep like a baby, my blood tests are squeaky clean, and I'm fit enough to toss cases of beer around at work and run up the stairs two at a time without getting winded.

Sorry to make this a total 'me' post, but I just don't see how doing tons of exercise when you have no interest in it makes your quality of life any better than just doing some.

Last edited by Kristine : Thu, Jan-13-05 at 06:40.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 11:46
WONJ#3

BF:

Quote:
I'm not trying to be self righteous.

What are you trying to do?

Quote:
I'm not trying to shake the foundations of forums.lowcarber.org with ideas I think are incredible because obviously they could be conjured up by anyone particularly interested in the concept of evolution.

Don't worry, no foundations shaken.

Quote:
All I am saying is what I am saying.

So what is it that you are saying? Talking in circles maybe fun but what's your point EXACTLY?
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 11:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 132/125/115 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 41%

If your plan is N/A, what exactly drew you to the forum to check it out? What were you interested in learning or sharing?
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 13:52
Registered Member

Stats: 300.5/299.5/180 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 1%

It always cracks me up when people start talking about northern native cultures as if they actually knew what they were talking about. Do you actually know any Inupiaq people? How about a Yupik or two? Have you ever lived, day in day out, year after year within either of these cultures? Have you ever spent time with the elders hearing stories of their past? Have you ever eaten pokmituk, ingaloqs, muktuk, caq, quaq, titalik, tutu, qoguq, aqutuk, or any other traditional eskimo foods?? I bet you haven't.....but you know what? I have, on a regular basis.

Just because I read a book on heart surgery it doesn't make me a surgeon. Just because you read a few articles about the traditional eskimo diet does not mean you are now a expert on northern nutrition and cultural habits.

I wonder why you would come into this forum and criticize people for trying to improve their health in a way that works for them. I think maybe you have too much time on your hands.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 16:10

Plan: Atkins+
Stats: 386/285/200 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 54%

Relax people, this troll has been here before. He's just an example of the immature atention seeker, and isn't worth the effort. Nyah Levi
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 19:42
Registered Member

Plan: low low carb
Stats: 142/146/148 Male 177
BF:?/?/22%
Progress: 67%

He probably isn't worth the effort. But I always get the impression with these low carb naysayers that perhaps their paradigm will start to feel a little shaky when they hear so many people cheerfully (be that sarcastically or otherwise) offering up their success stories with low carb health and weightloss. The personal experience of others is so confounding when you base your opinions on bad science (however long standing) or media encouraged righteous indignation.... e.g. sat fat is unhealthy, everybody knows that and NUMEROUS studies have PROVEN it. Or this latest 'exercise is much more important than low carb diets in the total health picture'. How could we all be so silly?. I always think of poor James Fixx when people start extolling the relative importance of exercise over diet, exercising himself into a high carb diet induced early grave. At least he was fit when he died young.

cheers,
the Cortisol King
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 22:30
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default Re:

I think I do know more about aboriginal culture because I live in Manitoba, Canada where a very significant segment of the population is metis/cree etc. Anyone from Canada who belongs to this board probably has, at the very least, been enrolled in school courses about such people. If you were to open any text about Canada, I would hope that quite a bit of it would detail this population. I'm 23, and so within my education at least, a huge effort was put forth to describe such a incredible group of people. So, I also know the devastating effects Diabetes has had because they were taken away from their traditional diet. I /do/ want to share but not for fear I be laughed at or even worse be marked with that horrible word, 'troll'. I eat raw foods/vegan. Basically it's the same spin yet without any animal products. I'm not hear to preach the gospel in ethical terms. The way I modify raw foodism is by eating foods that are native to a particular region ( berries, apples- low carb, high fibre fruits; high fibre, low carb vegetables, and the staple of my diet is almonds :-) So, I guess my interest is taking this a step further and really analyzing the evolution bit. I'm trying to illustrate my intent, so if you are unintentionally offended don't reply.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 01:02
Registered Member

Stats: 245/187/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default NOLOGO reply to original and other post

When someone ask you to post your menu, it is so they may help you find the culprit that is causing your frustration with your weight loss.

Exercise or not, it is usually something they are eating that is causing them not to lose weight or even worse, to gain it.

It is not done to be rude or nosey, everyone is just trying to help.

This is LOWCARBER.ORG, a place for people to share their experiences of a low carb diet. We get help and support from other low carbers.

If you are not happy with the types of threads you find here, you should start your own website. I am new here and have found information on every subject not just low carb.

I love my LOWCARBER.ORG just the way it is. If I don't like the subject, I change the page.

Souix
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 13:50
WONJ#3

BF:

Quote:
The way I modify raw foodism is by eating foods that are native to a particular region ( berries, apples- low carb, high fibre fruits; high fibre, low carb vegetables, and the staple of my diet is almonds :-) So, I guess my interest is taking this a step further and really analyzing the evolution bit. I'm trying to illustrate my intent, so if you are unintentionally offended don't reply.

NoLogo, you eat great!! Why are you on this board? Do you have any weight to lose? Or are you just here to inquire about why it is we eat the way we do?

I for one am not offended and would not resort to calling you names, however it seems you would have a much better fellowship with others by joining PETA.

Or are you here to be a "Godsend" and show us the errors of our ways?
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 15:43

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
The way I modify raw foodism is by eating foods that are native to a particular region ( berries, apples- low carb, high fibre fruits; high fibre, low carb vegetables, and the staple of my diet is almonds :-)

Apples and most other fruits are not native to the region that you currently live in. If they are native to the region of your ancestors, that's a bit different. Almonds also are not native to the region that you live in.
I also have to wonder what your source of vitamin B-12 is as it is only found naturally in a form easily utilized by humans in animal products. Also, what is your source of complete proteins/essential amino acids?
Good for you on eating your vegetables and lots of them, but make sure that you aren't shorting yourself in things that your body needs, such as vitamin B-12 and essential amino acids.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 16:06

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

With quite a lot of people it sort of happens in reverse. I lost weight first, then joined a gym and became more active and lost more weight. You get into a positive spiral as opposed tp the negative one where you don't exercise becasue you are obese.

For many people I think diet is the first thing, the rest comes later. When I was at my maximum I couldn't even walk upstairs let alone run on a tread mill. But yes... a holistic appraoch is what's needed.

Edit: So, in a nutshell, would you describe yoiurself as a srt of low carb vegan (sorry about the pun I couldn't resist it )
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-05, 22:38
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default Re:

I realize I may be taking this too far , but then again this is just another thread. As far as B12 goes, it is a bacterium and is therefore present in vegetables grown in manure rich soil.

Peta is just an organization doing what its members think is right- just like you're doing what you think is right. Everyone is just seeking something.

All right. I'm 23 with a lot of free time. I'm into humanism, philosophy, psychology/neurology, and science in general.

I think also , you can't take it personally when someone criticizes low-carb ( Atkins specfically I think ) because they simply ( but understandably ) don't consider the huge emotional aspect of obesity. When Peta or whomever releases a campaign or study it's not some sort of convoluted effort to increase your size.

Last edited by NoLogo : Sun, Jan-16-05 at 23:08. Reason: Added comments