Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-05, 08:01

Plan: Atkins, Zone
Stats: ---/155/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

well i just have a few pages to go...im at the end of the book...only one thing i have to say..boy 5cups of carbs per day...i dont even eat that much...lol...i did my zinc test and yes im missing some...tasted like water even after a minute...bought gluten free bread...bought betaine and yes there is a difference after a meal....i also recieved my blood test i had done a few weeks ago and all perfect...nothing wrong at all but still have the same symptoms as i had a thyroid problem so for sure that means its my costisol/DHEA...so today i will mention that to my geno which i will be seeing later...i did that test to see if i need to be on the healing plan...i only answered to yes to if i need sugar during the day as if i crave it...i dont do this all the time..once a while i feel i need just a bite of something sweet...i dont really would go out of my way to eat a cake or something like that...a bite of dark chocolate or whatever is fine by me...it will do the thing that one bite...and for my interuption of sleeping...i get about 6hrs without interuption...but i dont feel im dead tired at all when i wake up next day...im out and on the go...so im not sure about these 2 questions if its a Yes or NO...so basically not sure if i should be on the healing plan or maintance...maybe i misunderstood something...dont know...
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-05, 08:27

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 240/185/165 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

Thanks, Betty, for your replies. I look forward to reading your journal! My questions were directed to anyone who'd like to respond, and clearly, you appear to be the whole foods expert here!! I do believe you hit the nail on the head re: being stocked. Part of my problem this week has been that I don't have what I need at hand. It's meant lots of little trips to the store.

I do already feel much better and cravings are minimal already. I don't believe I have a damaged metabolism at this point, so am working the maintenance plan. Was not a big caffeine person to begin with, so giving that up is not a problem. Average 1-2 glasses of wine every other week or so, so alcohol not an issue. No prescription drugs but birth control, which I think may be an issue, but SPP doesn't give me a lot of detail on this. I guess I'll chat with my nurse-midwife.

Already exercise with a combo of yoga, walking, and ball and weight training, so that was not a big deal.

Hardest thing for me --- getting 8 hours of sleep a night!! I have two kids -- DD is almost 12 and DS is almost 8. They keep me running. I usually go to bed 11 or 11:30 and get up just before 6am. This works for me. Don't see how I can go to bed much earlier -- definitely can't get up later!

But overall, it's a very good program for me. When I first read the book, it was like all the pieces fell into place. I knew it was absolutely the right way to go!
~RUTH
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-05, 12:11

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

Good to hear that you both are making the needed changes and hopefully seeing even more good results! God bless!

--Betty
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-05, 12:17

Plan: SPII, IR/BOA
Stats: 267/233/170 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 35%

I have not read the SPP in detail, but I did notice she does not list Ezekial bread any more. Does anyone know why or have a theory on it? I cannot have dairy at all even organic and I have been told to avoid nuts and nut butters because I am a slow oxidizer. I am having lots of challenges with keeping foods available that I can prepare quickly.

I am also having many health issues and am on Diflucan and Nystatin and it is causing flu like symptoms. Not real bad just yucky. Very frustrated. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Marianne

PS I sold my SPII book in a day on Amazon. Yeah, made up for all the other books I have bought (not really but it helped).
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-05, 12:37

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

HA! That went quick on there, good for you!

I would say perhaps she just didn't mention it by name, not that the bread is bad. The ingredients in the Ezekiel bread are good, as long as you are not gluten intollerant.

If you have a Trader Joe's near you, I recommend trying their own brand of what they call hi-protein bread. It's low in carbs and very tasty. We found it better than the Ezekiel bread, but you know taste is relative. That was before I realized I couldn't eat wheat without paying for it in some way eventually.

I'm not sure what all the nut thing is. I know I like peanuts, but I tend to taste them a lot longer than I want to, if you know what I mean. No other nuts stick around with me like that, so I pretty much avoid peanuts but on rare occassions. I do eat cashew and cashew/macadamia nut butter.

You can get these cheap at TJs also!

I hope you get to feeling better. I don't know much about drugs other than I avoid taking them if at all possible. I'm not sure what I personally could advise regarding that, other than take care of yourself while taking them and ride it out.

I am so sorry you are feeling bad. That's hard to deal with when you're trying to eat well and be healthy, Marriane. I'll be thinking of you. --Betty
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-05, 16:06

BF:
Progress:

Ruth, I read what you said and your exactly like me...except i dont have little kids that i have to run after...and i dont take the pill or any kind of pills..i drink wine about like you here and there but rarely...and coffee i LOVE my coffee but i can have a cup or 2 a week thats it..sometimes i dont in a week...love my coffee cause its like my time out...all nice and freshly grinded...my problem is like you, sleeping...just cant sleep properly...never did...my problem is that i push myself to the end...i just cant stay in one place and do nothing...i always got to move or go in the garden, bike, xcountry ski, walk anythig just anything...hate to stay in the house..lol...yoga is my next thing this winter cause i dont want to be inside during the summers...in canada our winters are long so when i can be out there i rather do sports outside...I also doubt my metabolism is damaged...just that sleep problem...and yet when i get up i feel good...so i dont really know if i am one of them that really needs 8hrs or recoup it elsewhere during the day...if i nap in the afternoon, well there is NO way i will sleep during the night...be up till 2 and up at 5-6am..so i never nap...dont know...im that odd ball i guess...

MSK...regarding Ezekiel bread, i was reading it and its not gluten free..cause that what i usually use..since i will be doing that healing plan i had to buy gluten free rice bread...for flu like symtoms you should try ginger, eucalyptus essential oils, green tea, did you try the zinc challenge? maybe your missing zinc...or even ester C vitamin...

ive finish reading the book now just the maintenance i havent read...will wait till i get on that plan...

there is only one thing that i am not sure to agree on...regarding cutting down on your perscription pills...some people have to take certain meds and have to stay on them...i would be scare to tell someone to start changing or cutting back on their meds especially if you know you need them cause its life threating if you stop them...hopefully the people that reads this book truly understands that they better be followed by a doctor and not cut their meds on their own...i remember way back my dad had a bad car acciden..had to be operated right away in the head cause of blood clots forming and all...anyhow he was all ok after that...then he had to take a pill for the rest of his life for his head cause he would get massive headaches if he didnt... some days he would forget cause he was busy or just plain forgot about it and boy did he get massive headaches..this is just an example of what i am trying to say never cut your meds till you have spoken to a doctor.

anyhow, i will probably be asking more questions Betty and all of you guys out there that knows things...so bare with me...lol...at least we can all help one another...
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-05, 09:07

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 165/152/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

She doesn't advocated just dumping your pills. She does say work with your doctor.

Your sleep problems sound like a hormone imbalance of some sort. I also have all kinds of trouble getting a decent night's sleep. I think if I could sleep 7 to 8 hours a night, it would go a long way to curing my problems, but I couldn't buy that kind of sleep right now. Cortisol problems keep you up at night, as well as estradiol. Even though I don't sleep well, I don't necessarily drag through the day. If I keep busy and have stuff to do, I don't notice that I'm tired. I noticed the other day when I took the kids to the park that if I'm standing or sitting around doing nothing, I do feel drowsy. So maybe you like to keep active because it gives you energy (that you are not getting from sleep).

I'm not saying your metabolism is really badly damaged like some of the case studies in her book, but it may need a little work. Before I had this last baby, I kept wondering if mine was damaged or not. I had finally started to lose some weight (very slowly), but the sleep thing just wasn't coming around. When I became pregnant, I really started to deteriorate quickly and then extremely after the baby was born. Had I been in perfect health before, I don't think I would have all these problems now. In fact I think I've probably had adrenal fatique to some varying degree for the past 12 to 15 years or so. Sometimes it's not too bad, and sometimes (now) it's horrible. Just something for you to think about.
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-05, 05:22

BF:
Progress:

Well the only thing I can say is that if there is one person that never stops and that is very active, is me. I do keep so busy Jende that I forget to prepare supper on time. I work 5 days a week in education and when I leave work I go to my second job like tons of women out there. Housewife, Mom, Chef, Cleaning Lady etc etc..well I am sure you all get the picture. Then once im finish all of this I go back out for a power walk 4ks which I also do 3ks during my lunch hour. I have a massive backyard wiith tons of flowers I tend to everyday till winter. Im out there right after supper and often come back in the house at 9pm or so. Very often I go biking for mim. 1hr to 4 with my husband. This i do all week long. So not as if I am not active. Days I even think I should sell the house and get a condo so I dont have to do as much. But I know myself, I will get bord. I stop sleeping wells since I had my last son who is 16yrs old now. When he was born, he cried 24hrs a day for 2 yrs for nothing and I swear it felt 10yrs. Went to the doctors, children hospital etc all of them said, nothing was wrong with my son. I never slept when he was young. When I had my other son 10yrs before this one, I recall sleeping well but with an ear open all the time. Even back then it wasnt a deep sleep. But heh, part of life I guess. Comes with the package deal having kids.

Enough said with my days of work cause I know I am not the only one that runs all day and that has kids. Anyhow, I do like Dr. S 3rd book. It truly makes sense. I find a lot of her diet is a bit like Fat Flush which is also a fantastic diet. So I guess it is up to me to do my own research for tests. I am looking into naturopathic cause I believe more in the natural way then chemicals unless I had no choice.
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Jul-02-05, 14:10
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 158/158/120 Female 5 4
BF:
Progress:

Betty,

Don't even know if you still frequent this forum. I see that this threads last post was over 2 mo's ago, but wanted to post anyhow and say, WOW I am inspired by you and the commitment that you have maintained all of this time to this new way of eating.
This is only my 2nd ever post. My first is in the general (don't remember it's real name) forum. I am pleading for help there and have yet to get any responses. I only posted just yesterday, but already have over 60 readers. Was a little surprised that not even 1 of them replied. Perhaps none felt equipped to answer my crazy questions.
Anyhow...Congratulations for all of your hard work. It is very encouraging to hear a real life story that has actually worked on this plan.
Thank you so much for being open and honest and sharing.

Bless you,
Mindy

Last edited by Mindy66 : Sat, Jul-02-05 at 14:36.
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Jul-02-05, 21:51

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 322/240/140 Female 5'6''
BF:I have no idea
Progress: 45%

Hi,

TheBetty is doing a lot of travelling this summer. Caught your post and wanted to tell you if you scroll up to one of her posts and click on the journal button, she sometimes drops in and updates.

Marty
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Jul-04-05, 19:30
Registered Member

Stats: 158/158/120 Female 5 4
BF:
Progress:

Thanks Marty!

Mindy
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Aug-03-05, 15:23

Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

I have to say that I got the new book and I think she just makes things more complicated every time. It frustrates me instead of easier, it is harder. I don't think I would start TSP with this new book, I find I go back to the first one as it made the most sense to me.
Tanya
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-05, 15:44

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Glad I found this review. I'm premaintenance and I'm looking for something that focuses more on healing than weight loss for when I get to goal. My sister (who got me turned on to low carbing in the first place) did her research and as a vegetarian, came up wtih SP as the most veggie-friendly LC diet (at that time - this was in 2001) and she stayed on that for a while, never moving to any other LC diet (whereas I, like an LC schizophrenic, jumped between plans ). She really enjoyed it and went from a size 20 to a size 8. She's not taken a different approach and the last I heard from her she is of SP and other LC plans but watching her portions on the bad carbs and eating whole foods. Unfortunately, she has gained some of the weight back (she says she's a size 14).

I always liked Dr. S. holistic approach but it didn't seem right for me at the time. Now I ordered the new book from Amazon and hopefully that will help me through maintenance.

My sister did, however, leave me the Vegetarian cookbook and I still use some recipes in it. They're wonderful!

Tam