Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#31   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-07, 09:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/201/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:everywhere
Progress: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duparc
I can well imagine the headlines: old-age pensioner male writes best-selling romantic novel! Probably would get into the Guinness Book of Records!

Incidentally, to my knowledge, everyone to whom I write to socially keeps my letters. My late wife of 47 years of togetherness kept all my letters in a small bedside drawer but just before her passing she destroyed them; I wonder why?

My wife of today (we've been together for 6.5 years and married 3 years ago) has had a very traumatic life from birth, that was, until we met. She often put her feelings into verse and currently I am assisting her to compile an MSS. Here is an extract of 2 verses from one of her poems written just prior to our meeting, one balmy, starry-filled night, at Stirling on 28 August 1999 :

"Had I someone I could love,
who would love me in return.
Someone who could take me
from the depth of the ocean
to as high as the clouds
to make my passion burn.

"Someone who could overlook
the scars of yesteryear
and gaze at my beauty from within
to behold me, in all my aged glory.
Someone, who would see me, at last..."!

As she is hopeful that her verse might be published it would be judicious, meantime, not to reveal more, but, I suspect those same sentiments of hers describes the feelings and desires of many on this thread.

I have a dear friend who often emails quotes about aging. Your post reminded me of his most recent offering:

I am still every age that I have been. Because I was once a child, I am always a child. Because I was once a searching adolescent, given to moods and ecstasies, these are still part of me, and always will be... This does not mean that I ought to be trapped or enclosed in any of these ages...the delayed adolescent, the childish adult, but that they are in me to be drawn on; to forget is a form of suicide...

Far too many people misunderstand what “putting away childish things” means, and think that forgetting what it is like to think and feel and touch and smell and taste and see and hear like a three-year-old or a thirteen-year-old or a twenty-three-year-old means being grown up. When I'm with these people I, like the kids, feel that if this is what it means to be a grown-up, then I don't ever want to be one. Instead of which, if I can retain a child's awareness and joy, and “be” fifty-one, then I will really learn what it means to be grownup.
~Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle Of Quiet, 1984, p.199-200
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-07, 10:32

Plan: ex kimkins
Stats: 263/190/170 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress:

Wow I see most of these posts are pretty old but I just found this site this morning...I lost a bunch of weight on kimkins which now they are saying wasn't healthy but heck I am not going to gain the weight back..I am 69 a yoyo dieter who probably lost over 1,000 lbs in my life..I am looking at protein power for the diet for the rest of my life..I actually have a dr appointment on the 15th of Nov..I can't imagine anything is wrong I feel great but I am also on 6 major meds I am hoping I can get off of some of them...Hope some of you 60+ are still around looking forward to sharing with other "golden oldies"
Peg
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-07, 10:36

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Actually, there are quite a few of us around but for some reason we don't seem to post here much anymore. I don't know why.

Anyway welcome to the boards. I am 60, about to turn 61 and still fighting the fat fight.
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-07, 08:29
Registered Member

Stats: 210/201/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:everywhere
Progress: 12%

I have checked this thread quite often since I joined the forum and would be very happy if it became more active. I think those of us who are of 'a certain age' have unique challenges and can be of great support to one another.
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-07, 08:55

I think it would be great, too. I k now that I really feel out of place on challenges and such that the younger people do. I feel young in spirit but the body just can't keep up anymore!
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-07, 20:55
Registered Member

Stats: 191/189/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Is there anyone on this thread now? 10/28/07

Aha! Thought I found an oldster's forum....I am 64.....but I noticed all these posts were from 2005.....what the heck? Where are the rest of the oldies but goodies?
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-07, 20:57

I don't know but I just read your DD's intro. Great do it as a family.
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-07, 21:03
Registered Member

BF:
Default ok....I really must be getting old....LOL

Boy am I stupid! I just joined this forum and I realize now that the newest posts are at the end of the pages........DUH me!

I hope you guys come back.....PULEEZE!

I was on eDiets for about a year.....anyone from there?

I have done Atkins most of my adult life, it seems. I am happy with my wt now, but I will be waaaay glad to lose some more.

Ok.....let me hear from some more senior citizens.....BTW.....I may be 64 chronologically, but certainly not physically or mentally. I keep up with the fashions, things that are going on with the younger generations, etc. I recently retired from Special education in a high school....believe me, those kids kept me young! {smile}
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-07, 21:06

I was on eDiets for about 3 months but it didn't do it for me. I love this forum and it really helps me stay focused.

BTW I didn't realize you were new here, too. Welcome to the forum and to the "oldies but goodies".
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 11:54
Registered Member

BF:

Hi guys. Glad to see this thread is getting active again. Gotta' keep up to date, right? {smile}
Jann..sorry to hear you didn't like eDiets....you probably just didn't get in the right group. I belonged to quite a few groups on there, and then became a Moderator. It was fun. I made a lot of good friends. I sent my old friends emails to tell them to come over here....hope to see some of them here.
Anyway, I'm glad to see you here, Jann and looking forward to getting to know you.
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 13:20

Most of the problem was that they weren't really into LC and since I can't have sugar or anything with gluten I could never find a plan that I really liked.

When I used try WW it was always so traumatic to me that anything that smacks of deprivation just sends me into an emotional tailspin. I find that I really feel at home here and there is so much info, falling down and getting up again, and successes, that there is always someone to inspire me and keep me going--and always someone here who knows how I feel.
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 17:50

Plan: ex kimkins
Stats: 263/190/170 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress:

I think I have become a locarb forum junkie..They keep me in line..I am looking at protein power for the rest of my life diet..Bought a few books and I'm reading up on it..WW was a bad diet for me way too flexible with way too many specialized products I could just buy..So I gained on it..Glad to see activity here
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 19:56
Registered Member

BF:

Jann....I'm glad you found us here. You should do well on Atkins, being you can't have the gluten things.

Peg....glad you're here too. We can support each other on our way to goal!

Yay for us!
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-07, 09:04

Plan: LC
Stats: 180/179/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 3%

Glad someone is finally posting here. I'm 61 soon to be 62 in a few months.
I've been doing Atkins again and again it seems like forever.

This time is the last time. I'd like to get off my BP meds.
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-07, 11:37
Registered Member

BF:

Louloo....glad to meet you! I was on BP meds too, but as soon as I lost a little wt, my BP went back to normal and I am off the meds. Keep up the good work and you too will hopefully be able to get off the meds shortly.
Have a good OP day, everyone.....and dont' forget to drink your water.
Closed Thread