Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 10:19

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%
Smile just my opinion...

I use to be like that-- my work-out had to be done in the morning! Now that my days are my own, I can pretty much work-out anytime and be fine. I have nothing pressing, or stressing me. Seemed like I just got too busy by afternoon when the kids were around. And I had the most energy of the day in the mornings.
Quote:
You asked: If one is challenging oneself, and upping the weights, do you think there's really much benefit to switching things around? I mean, assuming you aren't bored?
I think as long as you continue to challenge your muscles, they will just have to grow. However, I don't like doing the same things over and over, even in a weeks time. I'm always changing things up, as you know. I did for a long time stick with back and biceps / chest and triceps / legs and shoulders-- doing 3 exercises pretty much 8-10 reps, 5 days a week-- I would change up the exercises sometimes. Try out some new things. But basicly did the same things, increasing weight adjusting reps. I think it's beneficial to try out different things, because you never know when you might find something that really works great for you. Maybe ever so often do 10 sets, if you never try out new stuff you never know what you might be missing out on. So---- in summary ..... I'd say, will continuing to do what you're doing continue to benefit you?, probably, but do I think it's a good idea-- not really.

I see you are going to become a "water wench" too-- great! I sure hope she's right, because this is not fun chugging this much (96 ozs.) water....
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Jan-28-05, 04:34
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%
Default Lbwo

Well, didn't do any cardio last night. DH was recording a movie for his mom on HBO, that happened to be on during my normal cooking show-to-exercise-to, so I skipped the cardio and cooked instead. We'll call it a cardio rest day, uh huh. I did promise myself, though, that I will be sure to make it up on Sat. or Sun., days I don't normally do the bike.

Today......LBWO:

ATF squats, BB bar only (8kg, 17.6lbs)(no ss today....full 60sec rest between)
3x10 good, didn't struggle until last few reps of last set again

individ. standing calf raises, holding an 8lbDB on non-working side, 3x10
good,bump weight

Step box Press w/16.5lb (bar+5kg)DB 3x10 good
ss w/
Leg ext 4plates (40lbs) 3x10 good, last few reps hard

Alternating standing leg curls, 2plates, 3x10

Good workout; feeling powerful.
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Jan-28-05, 08:33

BF:
Question supplements...

First thing: what is "step box press"? Same thing as bench step-ups? Don't you just hate for something to get in the way of your routine....I do. You'll get it made up over the week-end, so no big deal. I'm trying to decide exactly what supplements I'm going to take. I was taking Yohimbe Bark and then quit taking it, and looking back at my measurements, I think it was helping with tummy, and hip fat....I'll start again and after a couple of weeks see how it looks. I hate taking so much stuff, but I might as well, I already have it.
  #49   ^
Old Sat, Jan-29-05, 01:36
muscle bound

Default Cardio

Bike cardio last night........ it went pretty good. 30 min, 300 cals. Not sure what I'm doing today.....but it should involve snow!
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Jan-29-05, 08:47

BF:
Default Good news....however brief

Hi there. I came by to tell you that I am down to 149 this morning....unfortunately tomorrow is weigh-in day, and today I don't exercise, and it is possible that my eating won't be that great-- so tomorrow might not reflect this 149, so I needed to point it out while it was current . And that is after the oatmeal yesterday-- I was happy to see that, and I was still in heavy ketosis this morning. Have fun playing in the snow-- it's a rainy day here and about 40* right now, so I'll just enjoy the day off exercise and try not to eat too badly. Bye for now....
  #51   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-05, 05:23
muscle bound

Nothing formal during the weekend, despite my vow to get on the bike. Just didn't really get a good chance to, but since we were pretty active, I'll let myself some slack.
Sat: Dog School, plus lots of walking during shopping, maybe 2 hours.
Sun: Sledding for an hour+, which included much slogging up and down the hill in the snow and heavy winter gear.
UB today.....
BB flat bench 35.2lbs(8kg+bar) 3x10 good
alt w/assorted ab crunches 3x20

DB incl flye bar+4kg(14.3lbs), 3x10 good
ss w/DB incl press bar+4, 3x10, much better, last 2 reps hard

side lats 10lb 3x10 good
ss w/seated row, 7plates (70lbs) 3x10 good

arnies 10lbs 3x10 good, might move up, but mind the right shoulder
ss w/upright rows 10lbs 3x10 good

tri kb's 10lb 3x10 good
ss w/side curls 10lbs 3x10 good

Good workout....... MUCH better than Thursday's.
  #52   ^
Old Tue, Feb-01-05, 04:35
muscle bound

Last night, bike cardio..... 30min, level2, 311cals. Should bump up to level 3. We'll see how I feel tonight.

Today......LBWO:

ATF squats, BB bar only (8kg, 17.6lbs)3x10 good

individ. standing calf raises, holding a 10lbDB, 3x10 good, intense

Step box Press w/16.5lb (bar+5kg)DB 3x10 good
ss w/
Leg ext 4plates (40lbs) 3x10 good, bump next time

Alternating standing leg curls, 2plates, 3x10 good
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Feb-01-05, 11:48

BF:

Just dropping by to see what you're doing. Looks good.
  #54   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-05, 00:38
muscle bound

Just slogging on, G! Nothing too exciting.

Last night, bike, 30min, 310cals, level2. Tried level3, but was just feeling kinda tired.

Today's an off day for the weights, and is my day of daily home blessing, aka cleaning, so I should be burning some calories domestically.
  #55   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-05, 08:21
muscle bound

Just uploaded a picture of my brother Andy, to my gallery. This is a shot of him at 265lbs, 3 years ago..........I'm hoping to build some mass, but maybe not qute that much,
For all my bodybuilding friends.... he had this advice to give me:

Code:
"I still work out, but squats and deadlifts are no no's for me now. Its fairly easy to throw my back out now so I tend to stay away from lifts like those (sucks because they were my favorite). But yes if you do them stay LIGHT...LIGHT WEIGHT! cannot stress that enough. My dumb ass was squating and deadlifting 600+ pounds (back in 2000-2001) and now my body feels it everyday...bah...getting old does suck."

Words from an old man of 28,
  #56   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-05, 08:35

BF:
Smile hard stuff....

I do not believe I will ever be doing pistal squats --wowza! I was reading about women and pull-ups last night. I look forward to just being able to rep some of those out again someday. I have to say-- this meltdown training is not as easy as it looks. I was down to 149.5 this morning. It's only a 3 week thing, I think, and I might decide to make it a 1 week thing. It is exhausting. Not nearly as bad as what Emily is doing. She's having great results with MS (metobolic surge). I hope I can shed a bunch of fat with this much less killer work-out. You sure get finished fast with it. I always do some other stuff too because I want to spend at least an hour with my work-outs, including cardio. This work-out is suppose to cancel out the cardio part, but I do it anyway, after a little resting. Maybe I'm not working hard enough.........we're going to pretend like I am even if I'm not .

Just read your post about your brother's advice: Keep them light, light, light......oh yeah, I like him!! Haven't gone to see his picture yet.
  #57   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 05:20
muscle bound

No cardio last night..... too busy working on DS's costume, dinner, etc. Friday we are going to S'var, so won't have time to work out, so I'm going to cram both workouts into a full body one today. <sigh>

BB flat bench 37.4lbs(9kg+bar) 3x12 good
alt w/assorted ab crunches

ATF squats, bar only (8kg, 17.6lbs) 3x10
ss w/BB military press, behind neck, bar only 3x10, feeling something going on in the right shoulder.......need to go slow, watch form

SLDL's, bar only 3x10 lower back a bit sore......need to WATCH form!! 3x10
ss w/static wall squat 3x 30sec These are hard!!

BB biceps curls, against wall, bar only 3x10
ss w/french curl, 10lb 3x10

seated calf raise, with 7.5kg baby (16.5lbs) 3x10

Hey, not a bad routine. I might try it for the next few weeks. Took about 45 minutes.
  #58   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 23:13

BF:

Thanks for helping me not feel so bad about myself. I hate back tracking, and that's what I feel like is happening when I lose and then gain, and lose and then gain.....it's like I'm caught in a loop! I hope I'm heading out of the loop now and can make some headway again. I wouldn't mind looping between 125 and 135. But not here.
I'm so not in the mood to write, right now....I hate PMS. Anyway, I'll go and come back when I'm a little more upbeat. But, thanks for making me laugh, and saying just the right things.
  #59   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-05, 05:29
muscle bound

Default LBWO + cardio

Alrighty, so I did no formal exercise over the weekend. No worries! I'm going to switch things around, very slightly, though. M/R will be lower body lifting, then a 20 min HIIT session on the bike, a protein snack, and about 30 min afterward, lunch. On T/F, it'll be upper body, protein snack, followed by an easy 30 minutes on the bike. W will be some or all of a step/abs video. Sat and Sun will be informal exercise (ie playing, )

I'm also toying with the idea of a "refeed" on one or both of the weekend days.... need to do more research.

So! Today..............

ATF squats, BB bar +2 (10kg, 22 lbs)3x10 hard
ss w/assorted ab crunches

SLDL's, bar +2, 2x10 lower back is a bit sore....... not sure form is right. Belly still in the way! Maybe wait on these some more.....
ss w/static wall squat 2x 30sec

Step box Press w/16.5lb (bar+5kg)DB 1x10 good, but still feeling strangeness in the botom of right foot; not sure how effective these are anyway.....skip until further research

Leg ext 4plates (40lbs) 1x10 good, 5plates (50lbs)1x10, 1 x to failure (15)

Alternating standing leg curls, 2plates, 3x10 good
ss w/ Seated calf raise, with 2-10kg plates...44 lbs not that challenging...might try it with a 60lb kid,

Feeling tired today........ and now for the HIIT:
25 minutes on the stationary bike.
2 min warmup, level 1
1min level 2
1min L3
1min L4
1min L5
1min L6
1min L2
repeat cycle L3-6 3times
1min L2
2min L1
Heart rate went from around 138-184! According to convention, my max HR is 220-35=185. Interesting!

Very intense workout, sweat dripping off my nose. Immediate calories burned 245. Eating post wo cottage cheese now.
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-05, 06:33
muscle bound

Default Note to self

Found this:
- It is thought that fish oil supplementation reduces insulin secretion, so take no fish or fish oil on your refeed day(s).

and this:
Nutrition is the most important part of athletic/fitness achievement. A proper nutrition program is eighty percent of an effective fitness program! Proper eating habits must be consistent, efficient and persistent. Adhering to proper and consistent nutrition will ensure maximum performance for your workouts and maximize results achieved from your exercise program. If you choose not to follow a good nutrition program, you can plan on seeing about twenty percent of the results that would be possible.

Try to get in the habit of eating for what you are going to do, instead of what you have done.

Meals need to be eaten more frequently and in smaller portions, three to four hours apart. Frequent meals are important in helping to speed up your metabolism. Speeding up your metabolism is the only way to permanently lose body fat and obtain lean muscle mass. When you begin eating your meals more frequently your body will begin to burn energy at a faster rate. A faster metabolism will result in more calories being burned during the day, as well as giving you higher levels of energy. Eat 4-6 small meals each day!

Last edited by dane : Mon, Feb-07-05 at 06:54.