Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-06, 11:07

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 205/140/130 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 87%
Default Question for Tunkany

Give me an example of what you eat during the day. I am trying to find something that works for me also that does not decrease my milk supply.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-06, 11:16

Plan: Atkins-SCD
Stats: 125/99.5/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 170%

Oh, I miss those salamis.... (teliszalami!!!!)
I used to hate fat, fat or skin on chicken or bacon used to make me gag when I was younger. Now I love bacon!!! I still don't like fat too much, but i eat it because I know it's good for me.
Most Americans around here fear fats. Nobody in my family believes that carbs are bad and make you fat and sick. My father-in-law just told me I should not use coconut oil because it's too high in saturated fats. Just a side-note, he's about 375 pounds. I'm sorry for him becaue he tried every single diet on earth (except for low carb). He just doesn't believe that LC is healthy. They are all brain-washed by the USDA pyramids and Low-fat craze. And they ( in-laws) are all getting fatter and sicker(diabetes, heart diesease, arthritis) . Fortunately my husband is still healthy and he'll do LC whether he wants it or not as I'm the one who cooks.
I'm working on convincing them though... but it's hard because they must think : what does she know?
They have the Atkins book and have never opened it.
  #78   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-06, 11:37

Plan: Atkins-SCD
Stats: 125/99.5/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 170%
Default for Camcyd

For breakfast I eat eggs -sometimes hard boiled, soft boiled, omlette with avocados, or scrambled with or without onions, sometimes bacon. Sometimes I get sick of eggs, I mean bored, but I can't eat cereal! If I don't want any more eggs, I just have an avocado. You should have one every day, it's packed with nutrients. Vt. E bomb. And it's got half the sugar of an apple.

For lunch I make stir-fry shrimp or chicken with veggies, or you can even eat leftover meats, warm them up in hot butter instead of the microwave. Use a lot of butter on the veggies too.
If I'm hungry for a snack, I eat pine-nuts or almonds, any nuts are good except for peanuts(bad fat) pistachios and cashews (too moldy). A few pieces of berries with tons of whipped cream (not the ready-made one, but made from heavy cream that I whip myself).
For dinner I make a lot of meat (roast chicken with the skin on, or pork chops, steak, hamburger, beef stew with cauliflower, broccoli, celery instead of potatoes and carrots. Yesterday I made stuffed bell peppers. I didn't use rice, I just used ground beef, cheese cubes and home-made salsa. It's hard to be creative sometimes, this is why a cookbook is useful. Just leave out the bread, pasta, rice and substitute for something else. Eg. you can make lasagna with zuccini slices and meat and cheese and home-made sauce. Make a fajita only don't use tortillas. Use coconut flakes or crushed nuts in place of crumbs for breaded things. Coconut shrimp. MMM yummy. Don't buy the sweetened coconut flakes though.
If you are allowed some fruits, try an apple or banana pancake. Mash fruit, add 1-2 eggs, cinnamon or nutmeg, fry it up, flip it, done. Put honey or butter on it. I recommend coconut oil for frying or butter, olive oil for salads and cold preparations.
I drink a lot of water, you can have weak teas too. Peppermint, chamomile, yarrow, green tea.
Don't eat a lot of fiber- it's not as good as they make you believe.
Hope this helps. I'm in the middle of learning and experimenting, too.
  #79   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-06, 01:04
Registered Member

Plan: personal low carb
Stats: 224/186/150 Female 65 inches
BF:28%/28%/23%
Progress: 51%

I think probably 60% of women lose weight while breastfeeding, and the rest don't. The idea it will happen is part of the calories in/calories out idea. Nursing burns calories so it should make you lose weight. You'll notice the advice to trim 500 calories a day ties in nicely with the guideline that breastfeeding consumes 500 calories a day. So in theory if you do nothing but breastfeed, you'll lose a pound a week.

But real life doesn't work that way. You cannot fool Mother Nature, as the saying goes. Our bodies want to have a good fat store while we're lactating to make sure there's enough of a calorie supply stored up to keep on lactating in times of little food.

For the luckiest, that means the last 10 pounds are hard to lose. For the unluckiest, it means you can gain weight while breastfeeding.

I'd be willing to bet that's why what Tunkany said works. It makes sense to me that if you give your body a steady supply of fat, it will go into feast mode and be willing to shed stored weight. If you can convince your body that what it needs is going to keep on coming, maybe it won't try to hold on to what it has as much.