Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-21-04, 12:02

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 138/138/115 Female 65
BF:28%/28%/20%
Progress: 0%
Question ketosis?

How do you know when your body is in ketosis?

I've heard about the test strips, but is there another way?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-21-04, 13:17

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

You may experience a metallic taste in your mouth. Strong or unusually smelling breath and/or urine. I have never used the strips.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-21-04, 17:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/286/150 Female 5'5"
BF:

You'll get to know when you are in ketosis. I can tell, and I quit using the strips....seems a waste of money to me. If I drink a lot of water of course the strips will be lighter.]
Good luck!
Maureen
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-21-04, 18:20

Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

For me it is mostly a taste in my mouth, especially strong when I first wake up. Another sign (for me) is needing to wake up in the night to urinate.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-31-04, 07:54

Plan: combo of all
Stats: 237/237/150 Female 5'7
BF:

Can someone please define what is "Ketosis" exactly? Also, When your in Ketosis, Does that mean your body is burning fat (losing weight)?
When i got on the scale this morning, it says i've gained 2lbs, but the strips tell me i'm in deep Ketosis. I haven't
really eaten more then about10-15 carbs a day for three weeks. I feel like i'm losing. What's up with tha scale vs Ketosis.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-31-04, 08:27
Under Construction

Plan: LC/BFL
Stats: 245/148/140 Female 5'4"
BF:less/than/B4
Progress: 92%

Quote:
When i got on the scale this morning, it says i've gained 2lbs, but the strips tell me i'm in deep Ketosis. I haven't
really eaten more then about10-15 carbs a day for three weeks. I feel like i'm losing. What's up with tha scale vs Ketosis.
\

I find I am losing inches when the scale is not moving and I'm in ketosis. So don't give up.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-31-04, 08:44

Stats: 182/171/117 Female 163 cm
BF:
Progress: 11%
Cool Scalophobic!

Hey timajoy25!
Here's what I think:

The scale never proves you gained or lost true fat weight, it interprets your heaviness as a whole, including water and bowel contents. That's why your weight can fluctuate many times on the same day!

For example, drink plenty of water and weigh yourself, then empty your bladder and see the difference!

Ketosis, however, is a sign of fat burning! The only trigger for ketone body release in urine or during expiration is burning fat for energy. If the ketosis strips are positive, you can be sure you are burning fat.. The most important, is keeping your body in this state, by limiting carbs ofcourse, that's because it is way easier for your body to rely on carbs for energy, so if you provide it in your diet, it will shut down the "fat burning" and rely solely on carbs

P.S: I adbise you to weigh yourself once a week only, that way the upward fluctuations won't bother you..
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 09:48
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 270/166/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 90%

How many days does it usually take to go into ketosis, when you are following the induction plan?
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 10:28

Stats: 263/241/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:Above Avg.
Progress: 28%

I hate to be the mean guy here, but I'm saying this from experience. I used to ask these same questions. Please do yourself a favor and read the book Dr.Atkins New Diet Revolution. Not only will it give you a more clear definition of the questions asked, it will also answer a number of questions you will want to ask. In addition it will give you insight on things you may not have read/heard.

When I first started thinking low carb, I figured as long as I ate things that said LC I'd be okay. Or I would avoid white bread and only eat wheat. Nuts were okay so I'd eat a whole can. Then I read the Atkins web site and saw the light. Started doing induction and had some success, thinking I knew it all. Then I joined this forum and found a lot of things I was doing wrong. Came across stalls, frustration, gains. Someone finally told me to read the book. So I did. It really was the turning point for me. I learned I was doing this for more than weight loss, I was pre-diabetic (more motivation) I was doing the induction thing wrong. I was eating 40+ carbs a day, wondering why the weight wasn't going away. I figured I was just a slow looser. Found out I was just a slow learner.

Sorry to be preachy, but I promise if you take the opportunity to read the book, if you haven't already done so, you will have much more success. I swore I would never tell people this, but it changed my thought process and my life.

Good luck.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 11:20
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 270/166/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 90%

I have bought the book and I am reading it, but have not located that answer to my question, and I thought that maybe through others experience they could give me an idea, although I am sure everyone is different. If you know the chapter or page I would be glad to look it up and post for future newbies. Thanks