Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Dec-18-04, 20:40
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS ALL THE WAY
Stats: 240/155/155 Male 5ft 8inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud
I guess the part I don't understand is that less than a month ago you were posting in a panic that your LDL was high and saying, "I don't want a heart attack."
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...232&postcount=1
Why would you bother saying that if you already knew your arteries were clean?

Rosebud
Hi rose bud I like a lot of querstions it keeps me buzy. Well if you read my statement I said I understand why my ldl is high becuase i eat a high intake of fat wich increase lipoprotein a wich protects agianst heart disease. ZI never said I was afraid. I was just concerned that a girl droped dead in class but Lisa answered my question so Im not worried. ohh also did u know what the best low carb fried chicken is put the chicken in egg batter then put it in soy flour and deep fry it it tastes soo good and its good for u only 5 net carbs
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Dec-18-04, 20:46
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsBOY1
........ but I i got an artery scan. I was very nuervous and I have to get one every 6 months to mkae sure everything is fine.
I'm also a registered nurse with many yrs experience, including Coronary Care. Artery scans are almost never done more than once a year - especially for persons under the age of 40 - due to the radiation exposure.

Quote:
........ Iam dying to meet dean ornish cause I would like him to know that his stupid diet almost killed my grandfather andt hat his diet is to the extreme and dangerous to ur health.
Ornish has a vegetarian agenda for promoting his diet while bashing Atkins and any other program that's based on meat. But, his "stupid diet" has been shown in several studies to lower ldl and triglycerides and improve insulin sensitivity .. mostly due to the high fiber intake. It's just that it's LESS effective than low-carb, it does nothing for hdl, and it's very difficult to stick with. Not to mention that extremely low-fat diets can have a negative effect on the immune system. I noticed in this post you claim your grandfather lost 85% of his lean muscle mass from following the Ornish diet. Actually, if followed according to the book, the diet does provide enough protein from soy foods, nonfat dairy products, egg whites, legumes, whole grains and nuts to prevent such extreme muscle loss.

Quote:
........ but u know how moms are.

(from another post above: I would stealy my praents money and buy 100 doallrs worth of food. I would say to my parents that Im gogin outside with my friends while actually im goign outised to stuff my mouth)
Hmmm. Considering your history of lying and stealing from her, I can only guess that your mother is extremely tolerant and indulgent.

Doreen
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Dec-18-04, 21:00
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
...... i eat a high intake of fat wich increase lipoprotein a wich protects agianst heart disease.

Hogwash!!

Lipoprotein a is actually very bad for your arteries. Elevated level of lipoprotein a is an indicator of increased heart disease risk, even if the total cholesterol and ldl are normal. Lipoprotein a is believed to be genetically determined, and is neither improved nor worsened by lifestyle factors such as diet and how much fat you eat.

Doreen
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Dec-18-04, 21:04
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Well if you read my statement I said I understand why my ldl is high becuase i eat a high intake of fat wich increase lipoprotein a wich protects agianst heart disease. ZI never said I was afraid.

Hmm, never said you were afraid?
On 25th November, you started a thread entitled, "Really Scared About Atkins May Stop ASAp ."
Really scared/afraid - sounds the same to me.

I too am a Critical Care registered nurse, AtkinsBOY1, and I have never heard of a doctor doing scans such as you describe on a 16 year old boy.

We are not accusing you of lying to us as such, but you have to admit that your stories are growing more and more difficult to believe.

Rosebud
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Dec-18-04, 21:35
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
I'm also a registered nurse with many yrs experience, including Coronary Care. Artery scans are almost never done more than once a year - especially for persons under the age of 40 - due to the radiation exposure.

Ornish has a vegetarian agenda for promoting his diet while bashing Atkins and any other program that's based on animal products. But, his "stupid diet" has been shown in several studies to lower ldl and triglycerides and improve insulin sensitivity .. mostly due to the high fiber intake. It's just that it's LESS effective than low-carb, it does nothing for hdl, and it's very difficult to stick with. Not to mention that extremely low-fat diets can have a negative effect on the immune system. I noticed in this post you claim your grandfather lost 85% of his lean muscle mass from following the Ornish diet. Actually, if followed according to the book, the diet does provide enough protein from soy foods, nonfat dairy products, egg whites, legumes, whole grains and nuts to prevent such extreme muscle loss.

Hmmm. Considering your history of lying and stealing from her, I can only guess that your mother is extremely tolerant and indulgent.

Doreen
Thanks for your concerns but my grandfather is a diabitic and he passed out many times thans to dean ornishes diet i dont know myabe his body went in shock and he lost so much muscle mass that I immediantly put him on the atkins. he didnt gain all the muscle mass he had lost on the dean ornish diet but he did gain most of it. And thats not true almost and im pretty sure all lowfat diets u lose muscle mass. AAtkins said it himself. Its my moms idea for me to get an aretry scan she think ive been eating to much fried food and I said hey thats atkins babie. I told her for over 2 hours how do u think my heart disase was revered by eating fried foods in the first place. my god moms can be stupid sometimes even when their doctors. Even though she aggres with the atkins she still concerned about saturated fat. I tell her everyday that i proved her wrong that i was eating pounds of meat and butter each day and thats what revered my heart disase. I really hope this solves everything
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Dec-18-04, 21:55
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud
Hmm, never said you were afraid?
On 25th November, you started a thread entitled, "Really Scared About Atkins May Stop ASAp ."
Really scared/afraid - sounds the same to me.

I too am a Critical Care registered nurse, AtkinsBOY1, and I have never heard of a doctor doing scans such as you describe on a 16 year old boy.

We are not accusing you of lying to us as such, but you have to admit that your stories are growing more and more difficult to believe.

Rosebud
You said that i was ascared of my cholsetrol i wasnt a scasred of my cholsetrol i was a scared of people droping dead on the atkins. I think you have to reread my pahagraph. W.E. i wanted to share my personal experice in the atkins I can really care less if you dont believe me. All that matters is that my heart disase is cured and Im and atkins boy for life. But I was Never scared of my ldl i was a scared of the atkins just becuase that girl my age dropped dead in the calss room then lisa expained it to me and now im fine. So I think you should think before u speak. Im not trying to sound insulting but if im having chest pains and if im extremly over weight for over umm my whole life and weight over 100 pounds when I was 5 i think so. If i have mild heart attacks each year when im only 11 i think so and they got worse and worse that I could barely walk without chestpains when I was 14. I think rose bud u shoudl think what i said ohh yea ur right I was so healty. It was my moms desiopn for me to get an arety scan at the age of 14 thats when it showed a startling 55percent blockage, yes u are right they dont do this normaly in my case but trust me i would like u to see how it feels to have heart disease at the age of 14 and weighing over 100 pounds when ur just 5 years old. Do u know how embarrisng it was for me. Do u know how many nights I cried. Do u know the pain I suffered each day when the kids would make fun of me. Do u know that I had to sit in a special chair at the age of 10 in school becuase I was too big. Do u know how it felt when I had ches pains by walking up the stairs. Everyday I though why didnt I just die why was I born. Know I know th reason why i was born becuase So i can see the change in my life so when I go to puerto rico my family will be in tears that i wont have chest pains and got rid of heart disease. Do u even understand how painful this was for me when my docotor told me that I had heart disease when I was only 14 years old?:????????? DO you I was in tears when my dad told me that if i Dont do something I will die soon. I couldnt live with my self did u even know that when I tried to run I injured my knee and I found out that I broke it cause I was too heavy. Do u know how embarring that was do u how much pain I suffered when kids said ohh hers that fatA** who borke his knee while trying to run. Did u know that even my sceience teacher would call me names like porkchops. Now since I changed my life I have no heart disase, I am very popular in my school I visted my science teacher in the middle school and told him hey Look at me now what u going to say huhuhu and he was in shock and told him to get a life and said ur a creep for making fun of me and I simply walked away showing off my new body. I now have a girfriend. I now play tennis. I can run many many miles. I run a mile in 6:45. Pretty good huh. i got a presedianal in gym. Im very active. I cahnged my life. So rosebud please before u flame at me b ecuase I revered my heart disaese take into concedration that I mean u no harm and I love everyone including you.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Dec-18-04, 22:39
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Hogwash!!

Lipoprotein a is actually very bad for your arteries. Elevated level of lipoprotein a is an indicator of increased heart disease risk, even if the total cholesterol and ldl are normal. Lipoprotein a is believed to be genetically determined, and is neither improved nor worsened by lifestyle factors such as diet and how much fat you eat.

Doreen
Sorry You are very very very wron on page 111 on the atkins book he says "Low-risk LDL Large fluffly lipo-protein A, is so designated because it dosen't cause plaque to form in the artries. Reasearch has shown that High fat diets will raise the BENEFICAL low risk LDL." SEEE READ IT FOR YOUR SELF! Trust me my life is devoated to atkins. I read his book everynight to give me more and more confidence. Go get the atkins booka adn look for ur self. Even tough im no docotor my parents are and they tell me its benefical for ur health and the same with my docotor.

Last edited by AtkinsBOY1 : Sat, Dec-18-04 at 22:55.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Dec-18-04, 23:40
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
oops I got that miked up with something else whats that white and fluffly stuff called wich is proven to be benifical to ur heart and prevents disease. Cause my doctoe told me that even though my ldl is a little high he says it excellent becuase most of it is white and fluggly stuff what does that mean?

Ooops, looks like you've edited your post.

I have DANDR 1999 edition (blue cover) and Atkins for Life, but can't find your quote .. we must have different editions. However, in Atkins for Life he does mention the large fluffy LDL particles vs. the small dense LDL particles. The Drs. Eades discuss this at length in Protein Power Lifeplan as well. The particles you're referring to are a type of LDL particle, and are more properly called ldl-subclass A or pattern A.

I am not wrong about lipoprotein a. Lp(a) is a different particle altogether. It's similar to ldl, but it has a certain protein attached to it, called "apoprotein a". Elevated levels of lipoprotein a are associated with increased risk of heart disease. You might want to read this article about it .. http://www.mercola.com/2000/sep/17/lipoprotein_a.htm

While you're at it, check out the link at the bottom of that article, the one about how SOY can cause increased Lp(a). You might want to go easy on the soy flour in your recipes.

cheers,

Doreen
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Dec-19-04, 00:11
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Ooops, looks like you've edited your post.

I have DANDR 1999 edition (blue cover) and Atkins for Life, but can't find your quote .. we must have different editions. However, in Atkins for Life he does mention the large fluffy LDL particles vs. the small dense LDL particles. The Drs. Eades discuss this at length in Protein Power Lifeplan as well. The particles you're referring to are a type of LDL particle, and are more properly called ldl-subclass A or pattern A.

I am not wrong about lipoprotein a. Lp(a) is a different particle altogether. It's similar to ldl, but it has a certain protein attached to it, called "apoprotein a". Elevated levels of lipoprotein a are associated with increased risk of heart disease. You might want to read this article about it .. http://www.mercola.com/2000/sep/17/lipoprotein_a.htm

While you're at it, check out the link at the bottom of that article, the one about how SOY can cause increased Lp(a). You might want to go easy on the soy flour in your recipes.

cheers,

Doreen
Lipoprtoein a is not dangerous for one reason it does not stick to ur artries wall. So therfore it cant give u heart disaes unlike its other friend type b wich is totally differnt. Lipoprotein a really cant do that much to you that is why atkins isnt so concerned about this and I have know people with ldl's of over 200 on the atkins but guess what most of it is lipoprotein a wich is harmless becuase it cant stick to ur artie walls. and plus the whole cholsetrol thing I dont bleive anymore after reading this http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/cholesterol.htm
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Dec-19-04, 09:36
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Lipoprtoein a is not dangerous for one reason it does not stick to ur artries wall. So therfore it cant give u heart disaes unlike its other friend type b wich is totally differnt. Lipoprotein a really cant do that much to you that is why atkins isnt so concerned about this and I have know people with ldl's of over 200 on the atkins but guess what most of it is lipoprotein a wich is harmless becuase it cant stick to ur artie walls. and plus the whole cholsetrol thing I dont bleive anymore after reading this http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/cholesterol.htm

hello again,

As I stated above, you are correct about the large fluffy ldl particles being beneficial. However, it is inaccurate to call them lipoprotein a .. little a, no hyphen. Lipoprotein a is small and dense, not large and fluffy, and it has a special protein attached to it.

If you want to use the phrase coined by Dr. Atkins to describe the fluffy ldl particles, then you should be careful to use the whole phrase, and a capitalized A .. "Low-risk LDL Large fluffly lipo-protein A". Other scientists call it ldl Type A, or ldl pattern A, which would also be fine to use. But please do not refer to it as "lipoprotein a", which is incorrect and possibly misleading for other readers.

thanks,

Doreen
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Dec-19-04, 09:43
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
hello again,

As I stated above, you are correct about the large fluffy ldl particles being beneficial. However, it is inaccurate to call them lipoprotein a .. little a, no hyphen. Lipoprotein a is small and dense, not large and fluffy, and it has a special protein attached to it.

If you want to use the phrase coined by Dr. Atkins to describe the fluffy ldl particles, then you should be careful to use the whole phrase, and a capitalized A .. "Low-risk LDL Large fluffly lipo-protein A". Other scientists call it ldl Type A, or ldl pattern A, which would also be fine to use. But please do not refer to it as "lipoprotein a", which is incorrect and possibly misleading for other readers.

thanks,

Doreen
HEheh thank so much I knoew I was doing something wrong. Sorry i can always count on people like you thats why I LOVE THIS Forum. I have another question since I revered Heart disesae at such an early age is it possible it can come back agian. I mean i never cheated. Thats why I was worrying about last night. Also does soy flour cuase heart disease I heard its not good for men thats what my dad told me. But soy flour tastes so good just like white flour any suggestion??